1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Half Acre / Three Floyds Shewolf - Half Acre Beer Company

Half Acre / Three Floyds ShewolfHalf Acre / Three Floyds Shewolf

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

(Beer added by: spycow on 07-02-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint.

A: Pours a pretty hazy shade of pale gold. Carbonation is very active which keeps the creamy, off-white, meringue-like layer of foam well fed. Retention was fantastic!

S: The first thing I noticed about this when I first started pouring it was a quick flash of that characteristic FFF grassy green hop aroma. Quickly though, this got a bit more complex. Big notes of juicy tropical fruit, pine, sweet citrus, and a constant undrecurrent of toasty grains.

T: Damn. The only deviation from the smell is the toasted malt. While more of a supporting role above, it becomes a major player here. Sure the hops are just absolutely amazing but the malt is the glue that holds this all together. Finishes big with flavors of tropical hops, pine sap, tangerines, cut grass, and peppery malt.

M: Instead of being just being "sweet" or having "caramel flavors" the malt displayed here is toasted, dry, and roasty. I guess what I'm getting at is the malty balance here isn't sweet and syrupy. It's dry and roasty with a hint of sweetness. The hops are all manor of spicy, oily, prickly, peppery, and sticky.

D: This is an incredible effort from these collaborators. I went to pick this up on the release day, 7/2/10 and the place was mobbed. Some buddies from work and I went back the next night to get more and the place was mobbed again! I sincerely hope that this isn't a "one and done" release. This IPA is just too friggin good to tease us like this...

GbVDave, Jul 04, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

My cousin went to the brewery on release day and got me a case!

Bomber poured into 3 different snifters.

Appearance was hazy pale yellow, almost straw colored.

Smell was amazing. Pretty sure I got some cascade hops in there, very hoppy and citrusy.

Taste was just wow. Very citrus and pine with a decent bitter bite on the end. Exceptional.

This beer is highly drinkable. at 8% this beer hides its abv well. I had a third of the bottle but was longing for more.

Sidenote: The artwork on the bottle is awesome.

y1fsm8s, Jul 04, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been waiting for this day and it has finally arrived! Two of the top regional...heck two of the top brewers in the WORLD have come together and created a beer that is...well...heavenly. I arrived just 2 hours after opening and they were already swapping out the first keg! I picked up 2 growlers and a bomber...the artwork is top-notch!

My tasting was just as I expected...nice frothy head and a bright, cloudy yellowish color. The aroma was sooo hoppy with the customary pine and citrus notes. Man was this beer a hop bomb! A medium body with crisp carbonation. Very refreshing. I dig it!

This is a very drinkable beer that doesn't show it's ABV at all. It does remind me of another one of my favorites...Modus Hoperandi. I will be coming back to the well for this as long as they are pouring it...Top notch guys! You never let me down! Cheers to FFF and Half Acre on this one!

VonGravy, Jul 02, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Fresh growler pour from Half Acre. Drank from a Duvel Tulip.

Pours a cloudy, opaque, light yellow color. There was an initial head that quickly dissipates into a light lacing on the edges showing minimal carbonation.

Immediately hit with some heavy fruit and citrus aromas. Piney aromas come out as the beer settles. Hoppy for sure, with a fresh, rawness to it. The aromas seem to become stronger and more evident as you dive more into it.

The flavor was citrus and fruity, with an excellent bitter and grainy aftertaste with some subtle sweetness that makes you want to come back for more. The floral, yet bitter flavors are everywhere with just enough carbonation. The hoppiness continues to linger in the finish which I love in a good IPA. Doesn't taste as strong as the 8% would indicate to me making it a very drinkable IPA.

Excellent IPA. Great collaboration with FFF. Will have to compare the bottles with the growler later today....

spycow, Jul 02, 2010