Chocolate Camaro - Half Acre Beer Company

No picture uploaded.

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

Chocolate Camaro, a chocolate milk stout brewed with nibs and lactose.

(Beer added by: AgentZero on 01-21-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Picked up a growler of this at Half Acre on Friday. Shared it at a friend's party the same night. Served in a Surly pint glass.

A - This beer look fantastic. A few fingers of persistent mocha foam that leave behind nice fingers of lace, and a nearly black body that has a faint ruby glint at the fringes. Very evocative of chocolate.

S - Cocoa, roasted grains, a faint note of coffee. Aroma is somewhat understated and doesn't leap out of the glass. I wouldn't have guess this was a milk stout either.

T - I like the taste a fair bit more, as it has a little more substance to it. Tons of baker's chocolate, a hint of smoke, and a bitter espresso finish. Surprisingly low in saccharine qualities for the style, but a pleasant change of pace from the Hershey's-esque milk stouts.

M - This was a little over-carbonated, and seemed to fizzy for the style. Chewy, medium body, and a very sticky and slightly gritty finish.

D - I had a few pours of this - it went down pretty easily throughout the evening and I never got fatigued by it. I wouldn't rush out to get it again, but it's probably my favorite dark offering by Half Acre. I DO highly recommend the truffles made with this beer - great impulse purchase.

MasterSki, Jan 23, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from growler into New Belgium globe glass-

Appearance- pours a nice black with about 1 finger of toffee head. Moderate lacing.

Aroma- Roast malt, bakers chocolate, lactose sweetness. Maybe a bit of burnt coffee in there.

Taste- Heavy on the roasted malt, nice sweetness, the chocolate is not super present. just a hint of bitterness on the finish.

Mouth- Heavy carbonation, not really mouth coating. Overall not bad but just lighter than I want a stout to be.

Drink- Very drinkable.

Overall the chocolate and lactose are a nice touch but the feel is a bit light and the roasted malt is a touch strong.

cadaugherty, Jan 23, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +2%

Black in the glass with a finger or two of sticky tan foam that laces nicely. Surface has a semi glossy sheen like whipped meringue. Retention is good, the foam lasts for the entire glass.

Aroma is light, dry cocoa and roast barley with a nice coffee presence.

Firmly bitter with a silky body, unsweetened bakers chocolate and light roast coffee are the dominant flavors. Dry bitter aftertaste full of earthy roast. Light bodied and very easy drinking. Style wise this comes across more of a straightforward stout, no presence of typical lactose attributes like sweetness/creaminess/milkiness. Enjoyable and a welcome new addition to the Half Acre repertoire.

emerge077, Jan 23, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Lets see how this ranks for a milk stout. Since its growler only, I made sure to pick one up this afternoon and sample in my favorite snifter.

A- Customary finger of chocolate brown froth. Low retention time leads to a clear middle and thick creamy collar. Nice carbonation in the almost inky darkness. There is crimson hues with the right lighting, giving it a change from the average milk stout. Some mild lacing gives it a decent vision.

S- Very burnt grain forward, minor roasted character. Nice sweetness to the edges from the lactose sugars. Bit of bittering that reminds me of black coffee, but I'm assured they don't use anything like coffee so the hops perhaps. For a milk stout, I'd expect something sweeter on the nose here.

T- First hits are similar to the nose. Nice burnt character, but a higher proportion of roast. Doesn't become acrid or nauseating. Middle is the lactose sugars coming forth, recognizable, but only able to stay for a five minute chat. The finish is mildly chocolate, cocoa powder style, and bit of burnt grain.

M- Thin, clean, slick, and crisp carbonation in the beginning. Low lingering potential, and standard operating procedure for sweet stout. Definitely some unusual stickiness coming out on the lips and cracks of my mouth.

D- Even though its nothing amazing, it is easily drinkable. No complaints on the smooth nature, the less-than-exciting flavors, the moderate aroma. It is easy for me to drink glass after glass of it, and I actually like it a lot. I wish there was stronger aspects of it, though.

Khazadum, Jan 23, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 64oz growler into a thick stemmed Dogfish Head snifter.

A: Pours a rich deep black that shows off a slight crimson at the edges when the glass is tilted to the light. One creamy finger of dark tan foam spreads out on top and hangs around for most of the glass. Lacing is a bit light with some delicate webbing.

S: Excellent roasty nose right off the bat. As it warms, out jumps aromas of bakers chocolate, burnt malt, caramelized brown sugar, sweet dark raisins, medium roast coffee, and a touch of fruit.

T: Smoky, burnt malt mixes it up with dark chocolate covered cherries, char, fudge brownies, bruised plums, bitter dark chocolate, campfire smoke, and sweet chocolate cake icing.

M: Starts off pretty roasty and spicy. Around the end of the beginning, the lactose comes on and breaks off some of the dryness and ushers in a sweet creaminess that sticks around until the very end of the finish when it turns a little dry again.

D: This was exceedingly easy to drink. This is one of those styles that I don't drink nearly enough of. Then something like this comes around a reminds me to broaden my horizons a little. Excellent job guys!

GbVDave, Jan 22, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

I picked up a growler after work this evening. It was nice running into ol' emerge077 in the tasting room as well.

A careful pour from the growler into a nonic pint glass yields a black liquid with chestnut highlights when held to the light. There's an impressive creamy two fingers of mocha brown head that screams roasty stout. The head slowly gives way to a thin layer of foam and spotty sheets of lacing.

The first thing I get in the nose is fruity esters followed by a wave of burnt malt, medium roast coffee and faint cocoa powder. There's also a tiny hint of coconut water. I can dig it.

The taste follows with some slight bitter, not astringent roasted malts, esters, burnt marshmallows, baker's and dark chocolate. There's a touch of sticky sweetness in the finish that stays on the lips, but it isn't cloying. It works with the bitter roast quite well. The more I drink the more I like the balance between the sweet lactose and bitter malt bill. I can really dig it. It almost reminds me of a Dark Horse stout only not as lush.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a mellow level of carbonation that leads to a creamy, almost silky feeling while still being lively enough to help propel the flavors.

Overall, I really like this beer more than I thought I would. I dig a good milk stout every now and again and this is doing the trick. The 6% isn't too hefty to tackle on a frigid night like this. I wish I had filled another growler, actually. I'll have no problem finishing the rest of this one tonight with Mrs. Beertooth.

A great cold weather beer.

beertooth, Jan 22, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A nice looking black beer with a decent sized white head that dissipated with some small stick on the sides.

S - Bitter and lightly sweetened chocolate, small amount of lactose, some muted, but presented roasted notes. Smells like about what you would expect from a chocolate milk stout, although not as chocolate forward as I would have guessed.

T - This actually reminds me a lot of Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout. Dark chocolate, roast, burnt malts, milk, lactose sugar, and a little bit of bittering coffee. It's not bad, it's not great, but milk stouts are a hard style to blow anyone away with.

M - Heavier side of medium bodied, this one is a little too carbonated for me, which detracts a little. Would have liked less on that, making it feel smoother and creamier.

D - This is a solid milk stout. I can drink this easily enough and don't mind polishing off my growler with friends. Having said that, it's not good enough that I would go out of my way to get it, would only drink it if it were easily available.

AgentZero, Jan 21, 2011