2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Galactic Double Daisy Cutter - Half Acre Beer Company

Galactic Double Daisy CutterGalactic Double Daisy Cutter

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

We've brewed a variant of Double Daisy Cutter we're calling Galactic Double Daisy Cutter. This version highlights Galaxy hops, a bruiser grown in Australia specifically to make palates numb. This beer insisted on being a beast. Uber-hazy and jam packed with the sticky, Galaxy hops, this beer isn't for the faint of heart.
As if pulled from the core of a distant, inhospitable planet, The Galactic Double Daisy is juicy and dank, rough and tumble and beautifully ugly. Strap on your boots and pull down some of the ooze, Galactic Double Daisy is here.

(Beer added by: GbVDave on 08-19-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 256 | Reviews: 109 | Show All Ratings:
JustinMatthew

On tap at The Memphis Taproom during Philly Beer Week '12

Pours a hazy orange color, fingers width of white head slowly fades and laces well. Smell is all hops: sticky, sweet, citrusy, and floral. Perfect.

Taste is a 1,2 punch of hops, perfectly balanced with the right amount of carbonation. Floral and piney, citrusy, mango, grapefruit, apples and oranges, the right amount of bitterness and strangely buttery smooth.

Hands down best IPA I've had to date. Need more right now!

08-08-2012 21:35:20 | More by JustinMatthew
JT_Money

Beautiful Amber Color, Clarity and Mouth Feel. Not overpowering hoppiness, Perfectly balanced with Tangy Citrus tropical notes. How did Half Acre do it?? This little brewery is turning into one of my faves. They keep pumping out some great stuff!!!! Overall, Amazeballs!!!!

05-26-2013 14:18:56 | More by JT_Money
atomic

1 month old 22oz bottle into Teku

Perfect IPA. I can't even break it apart into categories, its literally perfect in every way. I'm not here to fluff up their ratings either, I was completely blown away. The taste is reminiscent to Zombie Dust, but somehow manages to be more tropical.... I wasn't even aware that was possible.
I'd trade all the Heady and Pliny in the world to make this a year round release.

The only thing I feel I should mention is that on the bottle this is labled as 6.5%, which makes this a single IPA in my book. Until now my favorite IPA has been Blind Pig from RR, and this dethrones it effortlessly.

My only regret is that of the 6 bottles I bought, I traded all but this one bottle.

06-26-2013 05:36:23 | More by atomic
actone2001

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

Sent to me fresh by RC0032, a fantastic trader who i regularly trade with. I let this one sit in my fridge for a couple months because I had too many other sours/stouts to drink.

A - nice orange hue, somewhat clear with a bit of chill haze.

S - I'm sure a lot of the hop aroma dissipated, but I still get a nice citrusy smell. It's still hoppy in aroma, no real maltiness comes out.

T - A perfect, citrusy hop flavor rolls across the tongue. Slight bitterness, but nothing overpowering. I think the time on this bottle has exposed the tiny bit of maltiness that I love in a great DIPA. The finish is what makes this beer top notch in the category. The way that It can get all the grapefruit, citrus and malt flavor all to balance harmoniously with that crisp, clean finish is wonderful.

M - perfect carbonation. Not tingly, but not flat. Good enough to accentuate the flavor properly.

O - Wow! Even after too many months in the fridge, this met and exceeded all my standards for a DIPA. I love the citrusy hops, I love that tint of malt backbone. I could drink multiples of this without ever getting sick of it. Next time (if there is a next time) I'll drink it fresh. I'll admit that I am a bit biased to West Coast Ipa's, but Half Acre continuously impresses me with their offerings! Well done guys!

12-02-2011 03:20:45 | More by actone2001
Paulcom11

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Nice golden, big frothy head, good lacing. Little bit of haze.

S - Tons of tropical fruit, mango, peach and some lemony citrus. This was just in your face fantastic.

A real treat after a long week of work. I hope they come out with this again!!!

09-03-2011 03:46:10 | More by Paulcom11
pschul4

4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle shared by my friend Tony. Been wanting to try this one for a while.

A- Light orange-ish with decent head and nice lacing. A very tasty looking DIPA.

S- Mmmm this smells delicious. Fruity hops all over the place. Tons of orange/grapefruit/pineapple notes all over the place. This smell burst from the bottle upon opening

T- Just as good as the smell! A rediculous amount of tropical fruit flavors balanced out with a sharp hop background. No malt presences but I didn't expect any. This is the best DIPA I've ever had (Sorry Hopslam/PtE)

M- Light and smooth without being weak. Lingers on your palate for a little while after swallowing.

O- This would be my go-to DIPA if it were more available. I certainly plan on getting in line for my share of bottles this year.

01-28-2012 15:33:30 | More by pschul4
MarkIntihar

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from the bottle into my Kuhnhenn snifter. Big thanks to Mike for the trade!

A - Even with a fairly aggressive pour, I can only get about a half finger's worth of pale white head. Somewhat disappointing. The liquid itself is a burnt orange color and is very cloudy. You can tell just from looking that this is heavier than your standard IPA. Seriously cannot see through this one. The edges of the glass fade slightly from burnt orange to more of a yellow orange.

S - Orange/tangerine is the foremost scent in this beer. Picking up some hops as well, and also an apple cider type smell, which really puzzles me. The galaxy hops also provide a bit of a funk, which is very interesting and adds to the complexity of the aroma. Gives off almost a weedy-like funky smell. Very intriguing, but altogether quite pleasant.

T - The bread and butter of this beer is definitely in the taste (shouldn't all beers be this way?). Oranges, tangerines, and funky hops are complimented by a very nice crisp, bitter hop finish. Also pick up the slightest hint of the apple cider mentioned in the smell (am I crazy?). Seriously though, the citrus fruit and bitter hop presence work together in perfect harmony in this one. And even the bizarre cider-like quality seems to add an extra level that is quite palatable. Altogether very well done.

M - Definitely among the smoother drinking DIPAs I've ever had the chance to enjoy. Little to no alcohol bite, and despite my concern that carbonation would be an issue, this beer is perfectly carbed to aid the smooth feeling going down.

O - Overall a very well done beer from Half Acre. Definitely the next step up from the original Daisy Cutter, and does a very nice job of showcasing the galaxy hops. Hope Half Acre decides to brew this gem again!

09-19-2011 01:21:28 | More by MarkIntihar
jegross2

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

Reviewing the latest batch of Galactic Double Daisy Cutter from Half Acre Brewing Company out of Chicago.
Score: 96

Can is from the Chicago Craft Beer Week release on the last week of May 2012, served in a snifter glass and enjoyed while fresh on 06/06/12.

Appearance: Pours a hazy/murky yellow-orange color with three fingers of foamy/seafoam cream colored head that slowly recedes to a thin film atop the beer. Slightly below average lacing, but really good retention. 4.5/5

Smell: Sharp and fresh orange citrus zest, sweet grapefruit, lemon, and pineapple juice. Ample doses of fresh pine, dew-laden grass and even a little resinous sap. A fresh, powerful, bold and inviting IPA aroma. 4.75/5

Taste: Sweet grapefruit and orange upfront with a mild sweet-and-sour lemonade flavored backbone. Prickly fresh pine on the center of the tongue. Lingering tropical sweet citrus flavor that is just a touch tart and giving the bitterness of the beer an invigorating pop. Can't get enough grapefruit flavor on the palate here. The balance between the hop bitterness and the citrus sweetness is really nice, and it makes the beer incredibly drinkable and refreshing. Yum! 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Juicy mouthfeel. Bitter, sweet and just a touch tart. The mouthfeel is spot on for an (imperial) IPA of this type. 5/5

Overall: Half Acre makes a lot of really excellent hoppy beers that rival the likes of Alpine, Three Floyds, Hill Farmstead and Lawson's, but I am firmly convinced that either this or Shewolf (a Three Floyd's collaboration IPA) is Half Acre's best brew.

Recommendation: Seek this out if you can find it fresh. It is a world class imperial IPA. I think it is on par with the likes of Arctic Panzer Wolf and Ghandi Bot.

Pairings: Grilled chicken.

Cost: $18 for a four pack of cans.

08-22-2012 00:34:52 | More by jegross2
Purp1eOne

4.64/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A -Pleasing amber with orange highlights, very appealing

S - Smell of apricots and citrus

T - All kinds citrusy/fruity apricots with a lot of hops

M - Slightly carbonated with good body

O - Galatica Double Daisy Cutter is worth the wait/effort. This beer is one of a kind and I am not a big pale ale guy. Very nice and I am just disappointed I only got two bombers.

05-27-2013 01:42:15 | More by Purp1eOne
Goblinmunkey7

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to htomsirveaux for hooking me up with a bottle!

Appearance: Hazy deep gold pushing toward orange. The head is white, sticky, and chunky. The lacing is ridiculous, sticking to the glass with gusto. Hazy enough to appear opaque when cold. Warming brings a little more clarity, but there's still a ton of haze. It's on par for the style, bridging that gap between orange and gold.

Smell: Pine up front gives way to a ton of tropical aromas. Pineapple, mango, and fresh orange liven this thing up. Peaches too! A sweetness comes from the tropical aromas, but the pine helps tamp it down a little. If this is what a Galaxy hop smells like, I'm in love. Faint malts linger in the back, offering up a biscuity afterthought. Big and juicy hop nose has my mouth watering. Did I mention is has the aroma of fresh, sticky weed? Yeah, that's there too.

Taste: Almost tastes oaked. Earthy, woody notes linger behind the potent hop flavors. Pine hits the strongest, pushing back some of the more tropical flavors, but tons of pineapple and peach play on the aftertaste. Malts are almost non-existent, but help elevate the earthy flavor, providing a nice balance to the hops. The flavors take a few sips to find a harmony, and that's the only downside. Half the beer is gone before it really hits its stride. Dank and piney.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, and just full enough to assert its presence. Manages to avoid being over dry, despite what has to be a generous dry-hopping. Carbonation is solid and manages to lift the body a little.

Overall: A crazy first experience with Galaxy hops. Loads of tropical flavor and a deft hand with the hop profile make this one crazy good beer. I'm looking forward to trying future incarnations of Double Daisy Cutter.

08-28-2011 19:50:26 | More by Goblinmunkey7
bertram

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

big thanks to TravisMBinns for the trade at the Three Floyds XV party...poured from a 22oz bottle:

Really nice smell of hops and sweetness as I opened the bottle...I think this is going to be really good...

Pours a hazy amber with a good amount of head and great lacing.

The taste and mouthfeel does not disappoint - perfect level of carbonation and a really nice balance of hop bitterness and some sweetness going on here, with a nice dry finish.

Overall a great beer that I'm glad I was able to try!

11-20-2011 00:05:51 | More by bertram
rudzud

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Received as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a wonderful murky/hazy golden dandelion hue with a nice one finger creamy white head that left some nice side lacing.

S - As I pop the can huge aromas of Galaxy hops explode from the can. Super dank and inviting. Once poured into the glass the dankness really pops. This is full of hops and oils. Very nice.

T - Oh yah. Explosion of grapefruit meat and rind, tons of hoppy oils. To hell with balance, this is a glass of galaxy baby! Super bitter, there is a slight bready hint towards the end that mixes with citrus. Pine tries to come through but is squashed by that graperuit peel.

M - This is so bitter and hoppy that is actually nearly dries the mouth out, demanding one gets another sip! The carbonation is perfect for this, excellent, spot on. Super enjoyable.

O - Overall this was a delicious surprise to get in my box. I'd heard about this beer and glad I got it, and a fresh one too! This beer screams Galaxy hops and I love it.

08-25-2012 22:52:42 | More by rudzud
jwhancher

4.54/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bought a bottle for $7 at the Local 44 bottle shop during Philly beer week. Poured into a snifter. Nice white 2-finger head with clear light copper color. Smells of piney & citrus hops. A bit resiney. Some melon, orange peel, maybe a little white wine qualities in the nose. Hop forward taste with ample bitterness and piney/citrus flavors. Reminds me of Union Jack. Feels light and extremely drinkable. An all around excellent beer. This brewery is quickly going on my breweries to keep an eye out for and one I will def drink from again.

06-12-2013 22:55:20 | More by jwhancher
312HopBomb

4.54/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazed glowing orange with not much fizz.

Aroma explodes with citrus and tropical fruit. Guava, lemon, grapefruit plus some pine sap.

Taste is laser focused on the hops. Intense pine resin and grapefruit,

Mouthfeel is medium with low carbonation. Sticky and mouth coating flavor.

One of my favorite hop bombs now has competition from Half Acre's new Navaja...hahaha. Good for me!

08-21-2013 04:42:30 | More by 312HopBomb
cosmicevan

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

high five to yeahnatenelson...enjoyed in my capt lawrence taster tulip.

a - poured super cloudy and murky with a frothy thin ipa'ish head that chilled out for a bit and left some sticky lacing.

s - OH BOY! galactic deliciousness!!! that smells AMAZING!!!! super upfront citric burst. little sweaty...nice sweetness. i could smell this beer all day.

t - sticky sweaty piny hops. leaning heavy on the bitter side, but by no means offensive. great imperial pale ale.

m - full bodied ipa that leaves a rich creamy bitterness.

o - overall - WOW! what a great brew. glad i got to try this. as a big fan of daisy cutter, this was a real wonderful treat. i continue to be impressed by half acre and wish i could more easily get these great brews.

09-10-2011 01:20:03 | More by cosmicevan
ChiPool

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Picked up 4 packof tall boy cans from brewery yesterday; poured into tulip glass today.

First thing to note: you can smell this beer from the moment you pop the can. It is incredibly aromatic: all citric/weedy hops on the nose. It pours a light orange color, which is quite hazy & opaque. Carbonation seems moderate: not too fizzy, but it is present. Great retention& lacing. Down the hatch, this is delightful. Everything you like about Daisy Cutter, but more...without being obnoxious. Bursting with citrus hoppy flavor (mainly orangepeel to me), with a lingering but pleasant bitterness. Mouthfeel is on the heavy side: a touch syrupy, but not off putting by any means. The finish is dry.

Overall: fantastic variation of a flagship brew. Save more for me!

05-26-2012 22:08:18 | More by ChiPool
GbVDave

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a grey wax dipped 22oz bomber into a Loterbol tulip.

A: Pours a gourgeous hazy peach color with one creamy finger of off-white foam perched on top. Retention wasn't fantastic but it left a skinny collar and a ton of lace in its' wake. Perfect unfiltered DIPA clarity.

S: Holy crap! A HUGE citrus aroma. Skanky grapefruit, cut grass, and the sneaky presence of peach/apricot/tangerine as it warms a little bit.

T: Tastes just as it smells with gigantic chunks of grapefruit, herbs, bitter orange, white pepper, and also the aforementioned bits of sweet orchard fruit. Long finish with loads of fresh herbs, fruit, and a touch of the alcohol.

M: Intensely bitter with oily hops draping over every square inch of the inside of my mouth. Slightly sweet before the pendulum swings the other way and brings on a bitterness that sizzles like fresh ground pepper. Towards the finish I noticed a slightly mint-like quality that I felt in my sinuses that was probably a pinch of solvent alcohol. Long lasting finish that I would call chewy.

O: Good lord, this was frigging great! Here's hoping that more folks start brewing with this hop. Very unique. Would love to try side by side with fresh "regular" Double Daisy. Excellent job guys!

08-19-2011 23:36:42 | More by GbVDave
vespahulb

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

After a 1/2 hour wait in line, I was glad to procure a growler and a couple of bombers.

Upon pouring, this has the signature HA unfiltered Daisy Cutter/Double Daisy cutter haze. Beautiful, bright orangey gold.

Upon first whiff: Holy Shit. Bombardment from all around. On the front of the nose, massive, stinky, dank grapefruit aromas. Then, this beer starts to really sing with unbelievable tropical aromas; raw unripe mango, kiwi, pineapple, sticky peach, candied fruit, and touch of pine. Pretty goddamn unbelievable.

In the mouth, I respect that they stayed true to the original double daisy malt bill and simply let the Galaxy hops sing. The beer definitely had a nice caramel malt touch, but the hops really take center stage. Super bitter, the hops give out a massively pithy, grapefruit/citrus rind quality. An oiliness coats your palate and almost creates a pleasant, addictive burn in the back of your throat....kinda like eating a super acidic mango or pineapple. Each sip finishes with a blast of tropical fruit and slightly minty-herbal flashes. Delightful.

Massive in every sense of the word. Over the top. Gluttonous. But totally drinkable. I polished nearly my entire growler, no problem and loved every minute of it. I'd say this beer is one of Half Acre's best and pretty damn close to being an American DIPA masterpiece.

08-20-2011 16:06:34 | More by vespahulb
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

huge thanks to my friend for pulling this off for me. sent to me in a nice 32oz growler i decided to split it with alex tonight as I get myself back into drinking form. poured into a pint glass.

a very nice hazy and cloudy beast for sure. Insane look to it, with a nearly opaque structure and light orange and amber color. A big white pillow like head of soapy and clingy lace hung out on the top throughout the session majking it appear to be one of the fullest IPA;s I have been around. The nose was loaded with rich, floral hops that were accented nicely by a well balanced base that had a nice and mellow buttery nose to it. Smooth, creamy, and rich, there are hardly words to describe how smooth this beer was. I have had many a cask beer, but none that the level of carbonation was soo damn perfect on. Super, and I mean super creamy and drinkable I was simply amazed by this beer.

09-05-2011 01:09:37 | More by mikesgroove
Treebs

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a bomber into a tasting cup.

A: Pours a dark orange with dark straw hues around the edges. Fluffy off-white head with sticky pillows of lace following down the cup.

S: Great fruitiness up front, some pears and apples, with a floral sweetness following that. This smell really just pops.

T: The taste is also great. Light sweet fruits at the front followed by a light malty middle that brings it down then finally a piney bitter finish that really rounds it out.

M: Medium bodied. Great carbonation with a very smooth swallow. Just glides down the throat and leaves a resin bitterness down the tongue and throat.

O: This was great. The taste hit every note you would want to feel and it was incredibly drinkable. Now I must quest for this on draft.

09-05-2011 14:15:55 | More by Treebs
fear025

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to YeahNateNelson for this bottle (high five!)

Aroma:Strong malty aroma. The hops are also nicely pronounced with orange and apricot. The freshly cut grass flavor that Daisy Cutter has is there too, but more subdued.

Appearance:Hazy orange in color with nice white head.

Taste:Tons of hop bitterness right up front. After my tongue has a chance to get used to the hops, I can start to taste more complex fruity flavors like orange and apricot/peach. These fruity flavors fade somewhat in the aftertaste, with the hop bitterness lingering long.

Mouthfeel:Medium body, a fair amount of hop astringency.

Overall:This is a great citrusy beer tailor made for hop-heads. I really enjoyed it, as I like testing my limits for really hoppy beers.

09-18-2011 00:43:51 | More by fear025
Jaycase

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

a: hazy golden,orange. thick, frothy white head.

s: incredible aroma. Fruity hop bliss - grapefruit, mango, orange. I could bathe myself in the aroma. Someone should bottle this smell, or can it perhaps.

t: Following on from the smell - fruit delight explosion. Again it's grapefruit, mango, orange and passionfruit. some piney resin on the back end.

m: medium carbonation. creamy. refreshing

o: Fantastic DIPA from Half Acre. Incredibly drinkable and so delicious.

05-29-2012 02:15:03 | More by Jaycase
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks pellinore1 for the hook-up on this sweet extra.
The beer pours a hazy sunset orange with a fluffy inch of white head that leaves behind dense lacing as it quickly flattens. This already looks like my kind of DIPA and the nose seals the deal. Notes of intense and puckering pineapple are smoothed over by the beer's malty sweetness and alcohol bite. The taste is like drinking concentrated galactic hops with a big malty backbone to help bring the body and sweetness necessary for balance and drinkability. Despite the taste bud numbing cigar I just consumed, there is an intense hoppiness that lingers on the palate, but it's not the overwhelming grapefruit rind bitterness like some DIPAs possess. The hops, in combination with the beer's sweetness and adequate carbonation, make this beer's mouthfeel smooth and fruity. I would absolutely drink this beer again, hopefully in the near future.

07-22-2012 19:04:02 | More by ThePorterSorter
ColForbinBC

4.48/5  rDev +3%

On-tap at Memphis Taproom, served in a tulip

Pours a golden orange. Cloudy body, with a one finger bone white cap. A good amount of spider web lacing.

God damn these galaxy hops. Deep and broad. Papaya, mango, apricot, pineapple, unreal. Juicy tropical fruits explode into the olfactories.

Tropical fruits pummel the palate. Papaya, apricots, and mango say hello before a rush of white grapefruit bitterness. A touch of pine resin adds to the bitterness level. I honestly just can't get over the depth of these hops. They bring everything to the table, overcoming the senses.

Medium body, slightly chewy. Smooth and creamy. Finish is moderately bitter and builds with each sip. Bonus points.

I am in love with galaxy hops, I admit my bias, but this is just downright delicious. This guy is a little rough in spots, much like Heady Topper, but shines in all the others.

06-02-2012 18:35:50 | More by ColForbinBC
KickInTheChalice

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 64 oz. growler into a tulip. Thanks to Dunt for bringing this over.

Appearance: This is a murky, hazy, beast of a beer, I can tell already. Unfiltered golden color with a decent creamy white foam head on top. Retains reasonably well, I imagine it fades a bit more quickly because it is from a growler.

Smell: A fairly pungent bitter hoppy aroma supported by a biscuity, bready pale malt aroma. Some grapefruit, but a lot of grassy hay notes, a bit of herbal hops, and a touch of pine.

Taste: Starts with a very light honey malt sweetness and some nice biscuity malt. A slew of hop flavors quickly overload the malt. Strongly bitter, there is a moderate amount of grapefruit, with a great balance of pine, hay, and herbal flavors mixed in. The finish has a nice bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Grainy, a little sticky and resiny, with medium carbonation and a fuller than medium body. Nice and tingly hops throughout.

Overall: This definitely grows on me as the glass progresses. The complexity of the Galaxy hops take a little while to become apparent, but the reward is worth it.

08-23-2011 01:28:51 | More by KickInTheChalice