Follow our progress ...

Galactic Double Daisy CutterGalactic Double Daisy Cutter

Half Acre Beer Company
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

We've brewed a variant of Double Daisy Cutter we're calling Galactic Double Daisy Cutter. This version highlights Galaxy hops, a bruiser grown in Australia specifically to make palates numb. This beer insisted on being a beast. Uber-hazy and jam packed with the sticky, Galaxy hops, this beer isn't for the faint of heart.

As if pulled from the core of a distant, inhospitable planet, The Galactic Double Daisy is juicy and dank, rough and tumble and beautifully ugly. Strap on your boots and pull down some of the ooze, Galactic Double Daisy is here.

Added by GbVDave on 08-19-2011

Reviews: 139 | Ratings: 622
4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to marine1975 for a taste of this one!

A - murky golden orange color; pretty darn cloudy! thinnest white head leaving spotty lacing
S - sweet bee pollen and orange citrus - lots of it
T - more grapefruit and zest than orange smell indicates; some honey sweetness in background; pine oil finish
M - fine, prickly, low-medium carbonation; substantial body that cloudy color suggests; bitter linger in back of mouth
D - big ole citrusy IPA; nice sweet zesty flavors; comes strong with nice hops bill; goes down surprisingly easy!

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Enjoyed 3 September 2011, reviewed from notes. Thanks to davidpietruszka for the trade. Excited to try this one.

Pours a dull brownish amber, cloudy and opaque, like unfiltered apple juice. One-finger off-white head, with decent retention, but any lacing immediately slides right down the glass. Not the most appealing beer, but I'm not turned off yet.

The smell... wow. Galaxy hops come through most clearly here, with a massive fruity kick - strong grapefruit but also sweet juicy fruits (peaches and some unidentifiable pulpy ones). Very floral, very bright, with loads of light, aromatic hops. Also some light sweetness behind the hops. Fresh and colorful smell - if it were a color, it would be pink. The hops are well-backed by the caramel malts.

Flavors are strong and balanced. Caramel malts provide a good base for the bitterness and the light fruity and floral flavors of the hops. Grapefruit comes through in the taste, and again a little bit of peach. The hop flavors come out mostly late in the flavor. My main complaint is that it could use more of that unique fruity hop character that comes through in the smell. Finish is less bitter than I expected, leaving it rather well balanced throughout.

Medium-bodied, not as sticky or syrupy-thick as many DIPAs. Medium carbonation that remains steady throughout. Good level of bubbles all the way through the taste.

A very nice, big, balanced IPA, buoyed as expected by the fantastic hop aroma. I'd like it if the hops came through more in the flavor, but it's hard to complain much about this beer.

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Acquired via my most recent trade with GBVDave so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a hazy, light orangey color with a 1/4 inch of khaki colored head. Head recedes immediately leaving wisps of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is chalk full of big juicy fruity, citrus hops. Tangerine, grapefruit, mango, and a light caramel malt backbone.

T: Taste is fantastic. Just as juicy in the taste as in the nose. Mango and tangerine goodness at the forefront. A big grapefruit kick in the middle that is quickly balanced with a caramel malt flavoring. Finish has some strong mango and pineapple notes with a hint of pine.

M: Medium to fuller bodied, nicely carbonated, rich and oily with a slightly sticky finish.

O: Goes down easily, very tasty, somewhat filling, nice kick, and a great representation of style. The Daisy Cutter series is by and far some of my favorite beer. This one is another stellar offering!

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Extremely hazy pineapple juice colored body. The head was short but demonstrated a ton of sticky lacing.

This is heavily aromatice. Grapefruit, pineapple, and mango. Coincidenially, I was cutting some mango as I was drinking this and it was interesting to be able to readily smell (and taste) the similarities.

Super juicy, fresh citrus fruit hops, hops, and more hops. It's bitter but has a sugary sweetness to it.

Fresh, sticky, and clean mouthfeel.

This is an outstanding beer and my favorite from Half Acre to date, and I like about everything they put out.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a bomber into a tasting cup.

A: Pours a dark orange with dark straw hues around the edges. Fluffy off-white head with sticky pillows of lace following down the cup.

S: Great fruitiness up front, some pears and apples, with a floral sweetness following that. This smell really just pops.

T: The taste is also great. Light sweet fruits at the front followed by a light malty middle that brings it down then finally a piney bitter finish that really rounds it out.

M: Medium bodied. Great carbonation with a very smooth swallow. Just glides down the throat and leaves a resin bitterness down the tongue and throat.

O: This was great. The taste hit every note you would want to feel and it was incredibly drinkable. Now I must quest for this on draft.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

huge thanks to my friend for pulling this off for me. sent to me in a nice 32oz growler i decided to split it with alex tonight as I get myself back into drinking form. poured into a pint glass.

a very nice hazy and cloudy beast for sure. Insane look to it, with a nearly opaque structure and light orange and amber color. A big white pillow like head of soapy and clingy lace hung out on the top throughout the session majking it appear to be one of the fullest IPA;s I have been around. The nose was loaded with rich, floral hops that were accented nicely by a well balanced base that had a nice and mellow buttery nose to it. Smooth, creamy, and rich, there are hardly words to describe how smooth this beer was. I have had many a cask beer, but none that the level of carbonation was soo damn perfect on. Super, and I mean super creamy and drinkable I was simply amazed by this beer.

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the third and final bottle of this that I've had the pleasure of enjoying. The previous two I wasn't in a position to tick, so I had to make sure I got it this time. I shared one at my local watering hole this evening, but writing the review on the spot would have been in bad taste given I had company. However, I'm drinking the last one now all by my lonesome.

This pours a real hazy orange hue. Head is minimal Very nice, mellow hop profile in the nose. The hops provide one of the most perfect balances in an IPA that I've had. Not overly sharp, and it has a wonderful citrus and pine profile. The mouthfeel is real nice. It lingers for a short while, and is just this slightest bit bitter. I wish I could have this all the time. I could session the hell out of a beer like this. Overall this is a fabulous IPA. If you can get this soon while it's still fresh, it's definitely worth it to acquire a bottle or three.

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big props to Jason for bringing this growler (and others) to the latest Jackie O's release. One of the first glasses I had when I arrived on Friday night.

The beer is an apricot color, slightly hazy with an initially thick head. Tropical fruits in the aroma, citrus and pineapple, some mango too. Same with the flavor, astringent and tasty, this was enjoyable from start to finish. Juicy wet hops and a little after-burn, the type of hops treatment I really enjoy.

Excellent drinker, my glass went very quickly. Get it!

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

Finally getting to a bomber after chasing down some on tap.

Murky opaque orange, fully saturated dark color, frothy white lace that sticks a little bit around the edges. Initial finger of foam fades into a broken skim with a clinging string of bubbles around the rim of the glass.

Super pungent tropical fruit and lush greenery. Pineapple, mango, grapefruit, fresh cut grass, mint, eucalyptus, and some base pale malt recognizable as Daisy Cutter. Quite pungent at first, and mellowing over time.

Smooth feel, fairly light and fruit forward for a DIPA. Complex residual hop flavors, super resiny with more tropical hints of pineapple and citrus. Some light sweetness at first, with a dry firm bitterness in the aftertaste. Tastes like a top notch west coast style DIPA to me... easy drinkability, lush and pungent hops, plenty of complexity. Builds on the light and drinkable base of Daisy Cutter, adding a burst of tropical hops, without succumbing to typical DIPA extremes.

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

A - Nice golden, big frothy head, good lacing. Little bit of haze.

S - Tons of tropical fruit, mango, peach and some lemony citrus. This was just in your face fantastic.

A real treat after a long week of work. I hope they come out with this again!!!

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a pale yellow amber with a small white head, nose is a bit tame but it's fruity and mellow with a light sweet maltiness, very nice.

Taste is super well balanced its got a really nice bitterness with a melon fruitless, very refreshing and smooth, it has A nice big Mothfeel. Very good beer.

4.12/5  rDev -4%

Shared by Whitemomba.
Hazy apricot colored body with a white head-- looks a lot like regular Daisy Cutter, but hazier.
Slightly more orange flavor and aroma than the regular, but otherwise, read my daisy cutter review. This has a bit kore sweetness though.
This has a more prickly mouth feel but a little less bitterness.

Overall-- this is nice... But I'll take the regular version anytime.

4.18/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a really cloudy amber color with an orange hue. There is a finger of fluffy white head that fades but leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: Awesome. Juicy citrus hop hit the nose hard. Sweet pineapple and tangerine. A little malt in there as well.

Taste: Doesn't quite live up to the smell, but still very good. The hops are more herbal with some citrus in there as well. They just pound the tongue. No one will accuse Half Acre of false advertising. The finish is bitter too.

Mouthfeel: On the thick side, this one sticks to the tongue. The finish is quite slick.

Overall: I think I slightly prefer the regular Daisy Cutter, I'll have to look out for the regular version of this beer. The hops were quite goo, but the taste was a mild let down after the smell. Still very good and really glad to have tried this. Thanks to funkyaudio for this beer!

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Shared tonight at Schmidy's tavern home brew club event. Fantastic event put on by the locals in Coachella Valley, big shout out to the home-brewers club. I tasted a lot of phenomenal home brews, but this was my contribution to the share.

5oz Tulip.

A: Hazy yellow orange body that doesn't quite reach that barley wine darkness, but it certainly has that hazier darker midwest IPA character. Some coppers flash with yellows to give a really hearty haze character. Some nice subtly off-white bubbles that leaves some gossamer lacing from the 2 finger head.

S: Wow big bold potpourri lending some big pine character with lots of resinous residues. Lots of veggies and green leaves that kick in the nose. Grassiness adds a nice earthy tone to the overall smell. Mostly dominated by citrus, but the oiliness from piney resins really cuts through the end.

T: Green grass with a lot of pineapple character. Tropical throughouts come through for me more than citrus. There's still a little citrus character in terms of mandarin notes and lime. However I'd say the grass and pineapple are prominent. Bitterness grabs hold of the palate and thrashes a bit, but it's a good balance of intensity between the flavors and sensations. very solid.

M: Medium-full body that is semi-astringent. Not too drying at all, and this lets the tropical flavors linger a bit longer than many others in style. I think this is pretty velvety without lending too much dryness. Impressive for the ABV, and I think this really ties the beer together.

O: This beer has personality to spare. This has that kind of BAM in your face type characteristics that I can only ever recall having in Surly beers. Tons of forward piney hops that throw caution to the wind. This beer is not about balance, this is about outrageous flavor characters. Green grasses blow in a tropical wind of pineapples, the vibrancy of the greenery is thick beyond salads. This is a jungle of impenetrable greenery. I am so glad to have tried this, and I think if you have this fresh you will agree. Green is the theme of the day, from slightly unripe fruits and deep dark leafy plants. Love this beer.

4.21/5  rDev -1.9%

Big thanks goes out to ScrimshawFan (awesome trader btw) for hooking me up with this one. Silver waxed 22oz into a DFH Signature Glass.

A: Incredibly murky, turbid copper color with a thin froth of white head, an aggressive pour only yielded about a quarter of an inch that has receded to a cap. Nice lacing is left behind though as I drink. This is really really murky.

S: Tropical fruit and some hop resins. Huge passionfruit and orange notes, some mango. Man this galaxy hop is potent. Very fruity. I get some definite notes that remind me of beers that are heavily hopped with Citra as well. Not much in the way of malt, yeast or alcohol (its a DIPA, who cares!?). Really love the nose on this.

T: Wow this is intense, again huge noets of passion fruit, oranges, and mangos dominate the beer followed by an almost oily amount of hop resin, oh yeah. The malt barely shines through underneath the huge hop presence, but what is there is a simple slightly grainy malt profile. Intense bitterness that isn't tannic or aspirin like, which is nice. Finishes with a long hoppy bitterness, I can feel the various hop acids scraping my tongue. Oh yeah. This is a bruiser.

M: Kind of a watery mouthfeel with light carbonation, there was barely a hiss when I opened the cap, thankfully, there is some carbonation. Finish is dry. Maybe a little more body would help take this up a notch.

O: A nice hop bomb. I've been on a hop kick lately, and the galaxy hop is unique and mixes it up quite a bit. A little more body would help this out a bit. Really a nice beer though and one that I would buy on a regular basis if it were available to me. I definitely don't regret ordering a bunch of galaxy hops for an IPA I will be brewing.

Thanks Casey!

4.12/5  rDev -4%

8/26/2011

Bottle shared by Andrew, thanks!

A: Hazy yellow orange with a finger of white froth that lingers for a minute, leaving sheet-like lacing on the glass when it recedes.

S: The aroma is nice, with bright mango and pineapple notes accompanying peach, grapefruit, and orange. Pine is faint, and I don't pick up much malt character.

T: The flavor exhibits a lower moderate smooth bitterness with lots of mango and pineapple. Orange pith melds with grapefruit, pine, and tangerine. Malt is light and slightly grainy. There's a faint herbal note.

M: Medium in body with lower medium carbonation.

Overall: Enjoyable and highly drinkable.

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%

Big thanks to Bay01 for picking some of this up!

(A) Very hazy pale orange. Almost like a mix of sour mix with orange and lemon juice. Very little head.

(S) Holy shit! The smell of this beer is unbelievable. I'd like to make an air freshener that smells like this, or just have one room in my house that smelled like this year round. It's got some citrus in it. Hops abound but its a very floral type of hop scent. Light fruits and some light caramel malt. Very aromatic.

(T) Has a bitter citric taste. No real sweetness and has a decent load of hops in there. You get that fuzzy floral taste but not nearly as much as what was in the nose. The hops really come big in the end.

(M) It's very smooth and somewhat oily. It's got a filling feel to it with a medium body.

(O) This was something else. The normal Daisy Cutter is quite aromatic as it is but this one takes it to a whole new level. I think if there's a way to have it taste like it smells, this would be completely unstoppable. It's a really fantastic beer.

3.74/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottle tasted on 8/20/11

A - Nice golden, big frothy head, good lacing. Little bit of haze.

S - Definitely got excited about the nose. Tons of tropical fruit, mango, peach and some lemony citrus. This was just in your face fantastic.

T - Sadly, the taste disappointed. There was a little sweetness to go with a really strange bready yeast flavor that just did not work. Quite astringent on the finish.

M - Good carbonation but my was this boozy. Some little fermentation issue with this I think, otherwise would've been an awesome beer. I struggled to put away a few oz. Quite thick as well.

O - Smell was incredible, and I love the hop, but this was just not a very drinkable brew. Nice experiment, but somehow the malt bill and alcohol taste just didn't work for me.

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

759th Review on BA
Bottle to Goblet
22oz

@Woodshop Classix

App- Top fading yellow to orange with a semi craterous one finger head. Quick falling and a nice bit of cling and lace. A thicker head to it as well.

Smell- More of a malt forward DIPA. Had a nice juicy citrus with just a touch of bitter on the nose. More leaning to the larger yellow citrus fruits.

Taste- A nice DIPA that was a big want of mine. I loved Daisy cutter so I was excited to see this floating around. I wasn't punished by the hops, but this seemed to be a bit more malty with the citrus/tropical fruits.

Mouth- A bigger medium body and a paired mediium carbonation. A light bitterness and a nice citrus residual flavor.

Drink- A nice mid-coast DIPA that retains a balance between punishing and citrus. A nice tasting beer with good layers and a bit thicker. Would be a bit better if a bit colder than when I had it at the bottle share.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks for the bottle, Adam.

A: The beer pours a hazed orange color with a finger of soapy white head.

S: Intense aromas of tropical fruit start things off quite nicely. Lots of citrus (grapefruit) with a mild herbal and floral quality as well. Very little malt character, just a bit of sweet bread underneath.

T: Tons of tropical fruit flavors to this beer as well. A fair bit of grapefruit and tangerine with a mild grass flavor. Some light pine flavor and bitterness and just a hint of pale malt sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Damn good. All the Daisy Cutter varieties I've had have been great, this one included.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to iadler for sending this one my way.

Bomber poured to my Deschutes snifter.

First off, the artwork on this bottle has taken the spot as my favorite label yet.

It pours a milky straw-like gold that is incredibly hazy. It boasts a fluffy pure white head that climbs about 1 1/2" to fall slowly to a nice creamy crown. Spotty lacing is left behind.

Smell definitely puts a frame around the galaxy hops. You notice them upfront, in the middle, and in the end. They hide a lot of the tropical fruits that are in the taste, but still very nice.

The taste is same as the smell on steroids. Starts out with the galaxy hops, but then they are pushed aside by loads of fruit. Mango, pineapple, peaches, slight melon and pepper. Definite notes of pine shining through, then its closed out by a juicy, mouthwatering, galaxy hopped finish.

You could tell from the appearance how this mouthfeel was going to be. Extremely creamy, milky, full bodied and extremely filling. I was going to try and take down this bomber by myself, but after the first sip I knew I'd be beyond bloated. Poured my brother the other half and put another beer in the fridge.

Really enjoyed this one. Daisy Cutter is probably the best Pale Ale I've ever had, so I'm glad I finally got to try one of their variants. Hopefully I'll get my hands on a few others in the future. Thanks again for this treat. Isaac!

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to htomsirveaux for hooking me up with a bottle!

Appearance: Hazy deep gold pushing toward orange. The head is white, sticky, and chunky. The lacing is ridiculous, sticking to the glass with gusto. Hazy enough to appear opaque when cold. Warming brings a little more clarity, but there's still a ton of haze. It's on par for the style, bridging that gap between orange and gold.

Smell: Pine up front gives way to a ton of tropical aromas. Pineapple, mango, and fresh orange liven this thing up. Peaches too! A sweetness comes from the tropical aromas, but the pine helps tamp it down a little. If this is what a Galaxy hop smells like, I'm in love. Faint malts linger in the back, offering up a biscuity afterthought. Big and juicy hop nose has my mouth watering. Did I mention is has the aroma of fresh, sticky weed? Yeah, that's there too.

Taste: Almost tastes oaked. Earthy, woody notes linger behind the potent hop flavors. Pine hits the strongest, pushing back some of the more tropical flavors, but tons of pineapple and peach play on the aftertaste. Malts are almost non-existent, but help elevate the earthy flavor, providing a nice balance to the hops. The flavors take a few sips to find a harmony, and that's the only downside. Half the beer is gone before it really hits its stride. Dank and piney.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, and just full enough to assert its presence. Manages to avoid being over dry, despite what has to be a generous dry-hopping. Carbonation is solid and manages to lift the body a little.

Overall: A crazy first experience with Galaxy hops. Loads of tropical flavor and a deft hand with the hop profile make this one crazy good beer. I'm looking forward to trying future incarnations of Double Daisy Cutter.

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

first off thank you TJburgess for getting this to me fresh. Poured from bottle into a tasting glass. On first appearance, out fricking standing. Pours a nice one inch head that laced the whole drink. Nice almost fluorescent orange color, no thin spots at all, very vibrant. The smell is of sticky gangha, with a hint of citrus sweetness. The hops are mos def present in the nose. The taste is very good, almost outstanding. Needs just a little bit of "tweaking" and this beer is out of this world. The mouthfeel is vibrant and almost dances off the tongue, once the sip is over, I find myself wanting more right away. I love this beer and will seek it out in the future many times.

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

22oz. bottle poured into a taster. Thank you for sharing Matt!

(A)- Pours a rather cloudy and dense orange color. Some white froth.

(S)- Tons of citrus. Orange, lemon, and peach. Bits of pine and malt.

(T)- Very fruity in a tropical sense. Woody too and piney. Very minimal malt presence actually.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Huge full on hop fruit and wood, but smooth and restrained.

(D)- A rather nice DIPA. Must be unfiltered due to its cloudy appearance and big hop flavor; it does work well for it. Very surprised by how mellow the malt backbone is.

3.99/5  rDev -7%

Pours a muddled orange. A bit of white head. Not that pretty. Smlls hoppy. Just like daisy cutter but stronger. Some garlic or onion something on the nose. Tastes hoppy and enjoyable but a bit unbalanced. Enjoyable but doesn't blow my mind. This beer is not as enjoyable as the regular daisy cutter

Galactic Double Daisy Cutter from Half Acre Beer Company