Microbrew Invitational

Galactic Double Daisy CutterGalactic Double Daisy Cutter

Half Acre Beer Company
Illinois, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

We've brewed a variant of Double Daisy Cutter we're calling Galactic Double Daisy Cutter. This version highlights Galaxy hops, a bruiser grown in Australia specifically to make palates numb. This beer insisted on being a beast. Uber-hazy and jam packed with the sticky, Galaxy hops, this beer isn't for the faint of heart.

As if pulled from the core of a distant, inhospitable planet, The Galactic Double Daisy is juicy and dank, rough and tumble and beautifully ugly. Strap on your boots and pull down some of the ooze, Galactic Double Daisy is here.

Added by GbVDave on 08-19-2011

Reviews: 134 | Ratings: 589
4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

huge thanks to my friend for pulling this off for me. sent to me in a nice 32oz growler i decided to split it with alex tonight as I get myself back into drinking form. poured into a pint glass.

a very nice hazy and cloudy beast for sure. Insane look to it, with a nearly opaque structure and light orange and amber color. A big white pillow like head of soapy and clingy lace hung out on the top throughout the session majking it appear to be one of the fullest IPA;s I have been around. The nose was loaded with rich, floral hops that were accented nicely by a well balanced base that had a nice and mellow buttery nose to it. Smooth, creamy, and rich, there are hardly words to describe how smooth this beer was. I have had many a cask beer, but none that the level of carbonation was soo damn perfect on. Super, and I mean super creamy and drinkable I was simply amazed by this beer.

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the third and final bottle of this that I've had the pleasure of enjoying. The previous two I wasn't in a position to tick, so I had to make sure I got it this time. I shared one at my local watering hole this evening, but writing the review on the spot would have been in bad taste given I had company. However, I'm drinking the last one now all by my lonesome.

This pours a real hazy orange hue. Head is minimal Very nice, mellow hop profile in the nose. The hops provide one of the most perfect balances in an IPA that I've had. Not overly sharp, and it has a wonderful citrus and pine profile. The mouthfeel is real nice. It lingers for a short while, and is just this slightest bit bitter. I wish I could have this all the time. I could session the hell out of a beer like this. Overall this is a fabulous IPA. If you can get this soon while it's still fresh, it's definitely worth it to acquire a bottle or three.

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big props to Jason for bringing this growler (and others) to the latest Jackie O's release. One of the first glasses I had when I arrived on Friday night.

The beer is an apricot color, slightly hazy with an initially thick head. Tropical fruits in the aroma, citrus and pineapple, some mango too. Same with the flavor, astringent and tasty, this was enjoyable from start to finish. Juicy wet hops and a little after-burn, the type of hops treatment I really enjoy.

Excellent drinker, my glass went very quickly. Get it!

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

Finally getting to a bomber after chasing down some on tap.

Murky opaque orange, fully saturated dark color, frothy white lace that sticks a little bit around the edges. Initial finger of foam fades into a broken skim with a clinging string of bubbles around the rim of the glass.

Super pungent tropical fruit and lush greenery. Pineapple, mango, grapefruit, fresh cut grass, mint, eucalyptus, and some base pale malt recognizable as Daisy Cutter. Quite pungent at first, and mellowing over time.

Smooth feel, fairly light and fruit forward for a DIPA. Complex residual hop flavors, super resiny with more tropical hints of pineapple and citrus. Some light sweetness at first, with a dry firm bitterness in the aftertaste. Tastes like a top notch west coast style DIPA to me... easy drinkability, lush and pungent hops, plenty of complexity. Builds on the light and drinkable base of Daisy Cutter, adding a burst of tropical hops, without succumbing to typical DIPA extremes.

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

A - Nice golden, big frothy head, good lacing. Little bit of haze.

S - Tons of tropical fruit, mango, peach and some lemony citrus. This was just in your face fantastic.

A real treat after a long week of work. I hope they come out with this again!!!

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a pale yellow amber with a small white head, nose is a bit tame but it's fruity and mellow with a light sweet maltiness, very nice.

Taste is super well balanced its got a really nice bitterness with a melon fruitless, very refreshing and smooth, it has A nice big Mothfeel. Very good beer.

Shared by Whitemomba.
Hazy apricot colored body with a white head-- looks a lot like regular Daisy Cutter, but hazier.
Slightly more orange flavor and aroma than the regular, but otherwise, read my daisy cutter review. This has a bit kore sweetness though.
This has a more prickly mouth feel but a little less bitterness.

Overall-- this is nice... But I'll take the regular version anytime.

4.18/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a really cloudy amber color with an orange hue. There is a finger of fluffy white head that fades but leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: Awesome. Juicy citrus hop hit the nose hard. Sweet pineapple and tangerine. A little malt in there as well.

Taste: Doesn't quite live up to the smell, but still very good. The hops are more herbal with some citrus in there as well. They just pound the tongue. No one will accuse Half Acre of false advertising. The finish is bitter too.

Mouthfeel: On the thick side, this one sticks to the tongue. The finish is quite slick.

Overall: I think I slightly prefer the regular Daisy Cutter, I'll have to look out for the regular version of this beer. The hops were quite goo, but the taste was a mild let down after the smell. Still very good and really glad to have tried this. Thanks to funkyaudio for this beer!

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Shared tonight at Schmidy's tavern home brew club event. Fantastic event put on by the locals in Coachella Valley, big shout out to the home-brewers club. I tasted a lot of phenomenal home brews, but this was my contribution to the share.

5oz Tulip.

A: Hazy yellow orange body that doesn't quite reach that barley wine darkness, but it certainly has that hazier darker midwest IPA character. Some coppers flash with yellows to give a really hearty haze character. Some nice subtly off-white bubbles that leaves some gossamer lacing from the 2 finger head.

S: Wow big bold potpourri lending some big pine character with lots of resinous residues. Lots of veggies and green leaves that kick in the nose. Grassiness adds a nice earthy tone to the overall smell. Mostly dominated by citrus, but the oiliness from piney resins really cuts through the end.

T: Green grass with a lot of pineapple character. Tropical throughouts come through for me more than citrus. There's still a little citrus character in terms of mandarin notes and lime. However I'd say the grass and pineapple are prominent. Bitterness grabs hold of the palate and thrashes a bit, but it's a good balance of intensity between the flavors and sensations. very solid.

M: Medium-full body that is semi-astringent. Not too drying at all, and this lets the tropical flavors linger a bit longer than many others in style. I think this is pretty velvety without lending too much dryness. Impressive for the ABV, and I think this really ties the beer together.

O: This beer has personality to spare. This has that kind of BAM in your face type characteristics that I can only ever recall having in Surly beers. Tons of forward piney hops that throw caution to the wind. This beer is not about balance, this is about outrageous flavor characters. Green grasses blow in a tropical wind of pineapples, the vibrancy of the greenery is thick beyond salads. This is a jungle of impenetrable greenery. I am so glad to have tried this, and I think if you have this fresh you will agree. Green is the theme of the day, from slightly unripe fruits and deep dark leafy plants. Love this beer.

4.21/5  rDev -1.9%

Big thanks goes out to ScrimshawFan (awesome trader btw) for hooking me up with this one. Silver waxed 22oz into a DFH Signature Glass.

A: Incredibly murky, turbid copper color with a thin froth of white head, an aggressive pour only yielded about a quarter of an inch that has receded to a cap. Nice lacing is left behind though as I drink. This is really really murky.

S: Tropical fruit and some hop resins. Huge passionfruit and orange notes, some mango. Man this galaxy hop is potent. Very fruity. I get some definite notes that remind me of beers that are heavily hopped with Citra as well. Not much in the way of malt, yeast or alcohol (its a DIPA, who cares!?). Really love the nose on this.

T: Wow this is intense, again huge noets of passion fruit, oranges, and mangos dominate the beer followed by an almost oily amount of hop resin, oh yeah. The malt barely shines through underneath the huge hop presence, but what is there is a simple slightly grainy malt profile. Intense bitterness that isn't tannic or aspirin like, which is nice. Finishes with a long hoppy bitterness, I can feel the various hop acids scraping my tongue. Oh yeah. This is a bruiser.

M: Kind of a watery mouthfeel with light carbonation, there was barely a hiss when I opened the cap, thankfully, there is some carbonation. Finish is dry. Maybe a little more body would help take this up a notch.

O: A nice hop bomb. I've been on a hop kick lately, and the galaxy hop is unique and mixes it up quite a bit. A little more body would help this out a bit. Really a nice beer though and one that I would buy on a regular basis if it were available to me. I definitely don't regret ordering a bunch of galaxy hops for an IPA I will be brewing.

Thanks Casey!

8/26/2011

Bottle shared by Andrew, thanks!

A: Hazy yellow orange with a finger of white froth that lingers for a minute, leaving sheet-like lacing on the glass when it recedes.

S: The aroma is nice, with bright mango and pineapple notes accompanying peach, grapefruit, and orange. Pine is faint, and I don't pick up much malt character.

T: The flavor exhibits a lower moderate smooth bitterness with lots of mango and pineapple. Orange pith melds with grapefruit, pine, and tangerine. Malt is light and slightly grainy. There's a faint herbal note.

M: Medium in body with lower medium carbonation.

Overall: Enjoyable and highly drinkable.

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%

Big thanks to Bay01 for picking some of this up!

(A) Very hazy pale orange. Almost like a mix of sour mix with orange and lemon juice. Very little head.

(S) Holy shit! The smell of this beer is unbelievable. I'd like to make an air freshener that smells like this, or just have one room in my house that smelled like this year round. It's got some citrus in it. Hops abound but its a very floral type of hop scent. Light fruits and some light caramel malt. Very aromatic.

(T) Has a bitter citric taste. No real sweetness and has a decent load of hops in there. You get that fuzzy floral taste but not nearly as much as what was in the nose. The hops really come big in the end.

(M) It's very smooth and somewhat oily. It's got a filling feel to it with a medium body.

(O) This was something else. The normal Daisy Cutter is quite aromatic as it is but this one takes it to a whole new level. I think if there's a way to have it taste like it smells, this would be completely unstoppable. It's a really fantastic beer.

3.74/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottle tasted on 8/20/11

A - Nice golden, big frothy head, good lacing. Little bit of haze.

S - Definitely got excited about the nose. Tons of tropical fruit, mango, peach and some lemony citrus. This was just in your face fantastic.

T - Sadly, the taste disappointed. There was a little sweetness to go with a really strange bready yeast flavor that just did not work. Quite astringent on the finish.

M - Good carbonation but my was this boozy. Some little fermentation issue with this I think, otherwise would've been an awesome beer. I struggled to put away a few oz. Quite thick as well.

O - Smell was incredible, and I love the hop, but this was just not a very drinkable brew. Nice experiment, but somehow the malt bill and alcohol taste just didn't work for me.

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

759th Review on BA
Bottle to Goblet
22oz

@Woodshop Classix

App- Top fading yellow to orange with a semi craterous one finger head. Quick falling and a nice bit of cling and lace. A thicker head to it as well.

Smell- More of a malt forward DIPA. Had a nice juicy citrus with just a touch of bitter on the nose. More leaning to the larger yellow citrus fruits.

Taste- A nice DIPA that was a big want of mine. I loved Daisy cutter so I was excited to see this floating around. I wasn't punished by the hops, but this seemed to be a bit more malty with the citrus/tropical fruits.

Mouth- A bigger medium body and a paired mediium carbonation. A light bitterness and a nice citrus residual flavor.

Drink- A nice mid-coast DIPA that retains a balance between punishing and citrus. A nice tasting beer with good layers and a bit thicker. Would be a bit better if a bit colder than when I had it at the bottle share.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks for the bottle, Adam.

A: The beer pours a hazed orange color with a finger of soapy white head.

S: Intense aromas of tropical fruit start things off quite nicely. Lots of citrus (grapefruit) with a mild herbal and floral quality as well. Very little malt character, just a bit of sweet bread underneath.

T: Tons of tropical fruit flavors to this beer as well. A fair bit of grapefruit and tangerine with a mild grass flavor. Some light pine flavor and bitterness and just a hint of pale malt sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Damn good. All the Daisy Cutter varieties I've had have been great, this one included.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to iadler for sending this one my way.

Bomber poured to my Deschutes snifter.

First off, the artwork on this bottle has taken the spot as my favorite label yet.

It pours a milky straw-like gold that is incredibly hazy. It boasts a fluffy pure white head that climbs about 1 1/2" to fall slowly to a nice creamy crown. Spotty lacing is left behind.

Smell definitely puts a frame around the galaxy hops. You notice them upfront, in the middle, and in the end. They hide a lot of the tropical fruits that are in the taste, but still very nice.

The taste is same as the smell on steroids. Starts out with the galaxy hops, but then they are pushed aside by loads of fruit. Mango, pineapple, peaches, slight melon and pepper. Definite notes of pine shining through, then its closed out by a juicy, mouthwatering, galaxy hopped finish.

You could tell from the appearance how this mouthfeel was going to be. Extremely creamy, milky, full bodied and extremely filling. I was going to try and take down this bomber by myself, but after the first sip I knew I'd be beyond bloated. Poured my brother the other half and put another beer in the fridge.

Really enjoyed this one. Daisy Cutter is probably the best Pale Ale I've ever had, so I'm glad I finally got to try one of their variants. Hopefully I'll get my hands on a few others in the future. Thanks again for this treat. Isaac!

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to htomsirveaux for hooking me up with a bottle!

Appearance: Hazy deep gold pushing toward orange. The head is white, sticky, and chunky. The lacing is ridiculous, sticking to the glass with gusto. Hazy enough to appear opaque when cold. Warming brings a little more clarity, but there's still a ton of haze. It's on par for the style, bridging that gap between orange and gold.

Smell: Pine up front gives way to a ton of tropical aromas. Pineapple, mango, and fresh orange liven this thing up. Peaches too! A sweetness comes from the tropical aromas, but the pine helps tamp it down a little. If this is what a Galaxy hop smells like, I'm in love. Faint malts linger in the back, offering up a biscuity afterthought. Big and juicy hop nose has my mouth watering. Did I mention is has the aroma of fresh, sticky weed? Yeah, that's there too.

Taste: Almost tastes oaked. Earthy, woody notes linger behind the potent hop flavors. Pine hits the strongest, pushing back some of the more tropical flavors, but tons of pineapple and peach play on the aftertaste. Malts are almost non-existent, but help elevate the earthy flavor, providing a nice balance to the hops. The flavors take a few sips to find a harmony, and that's the only downside. Half the beer is gone before it really hits its stride. Dank and piney.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, and just full enough to assert its presence. Manages to avoid being over dry, despite what has to be a generous dry-hopping. Carbonation is solid and manages to lift the body a little.

Overall: A crazy first experience with Galaxy hops. Loads of tropical flavor and a deft hand with the hop profile make this one crazy good beer. I'm looking forward to trying future incarnations of Double Daisy Cutter.

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

first off thank you TJburgess for getting this to me fresh. Poured from bottle into a tasting glass. On first appearance, out fricking standing. Pours a nice one inch head that laced the whole drink. Nice almost fluorescent orange color, no thin spots at all, very vibrant. The smell is of sticky gangha, with a hint of citrus sweetness. The hops are mos def present in the nose. The taste is very good, almost outstanding. Needs just a little bit of "tweaking" and this beer is out of this world. The mouthfeel is vibrant and almost dances off the tongue, once the sip is over, I find myself wanting more right away. I love this beer and will seek it out in the future many times.

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

22oz. bottle poured into a taster. Thank you for sharing Matt!

(A)- Pours a rather cloudy and dense orange color. Some white froth.

(S)- Tons of citrus. Orange, lemon, and peach. Bits of pine and malt.

(T)- Very fruity in a tropical sense. Woody too and piney. Very minimal malt presence actually.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Huge full on hop fruit and wood, but smooth and restrained.

(D)- A rather nice DIPA. Must be unfiltered due to its cloudy appearance and big hop flavor; it does work well for it. Very surprised by how mellow the malt backbone is.

3.99/5  rDev -7%

Pours a muddled orange. A bit of white head. Not that pretty. Smlls hoppy. Just like daisy cutter but stronger. Some garlic or onion something on the nose. Tastes hoppy and enjoyable but a bit unbalanced. Enjoyable but doesn't blow my mind. This beer is not as enjoyable as the regular daisy cutter

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Had 1 week after it was out into the growler

A-hazy yellow with a white head around the edge. Was a little bit disappointing

S-mix ofof hops but can't pinpointone. I sm gueesing galaxy?

T-nice hop fruitness to it. Tried side by sside with citra and liked this more. Should be 4.25

M-medium body and smooth

O-4.5 to balance out taste

2.74/5  rDev -36.1%

I'll be the low reviewer with the huge deviation it seems:
A: Murky true-gold color with some bronze. Decent head from easy pour, not much retention or lacing. Opaque.
S: Good. Solid and rich tropical fruit, citrus and a touch of pine. Very pronounced and likeable. Best aspect of the brew.
T: Murky muddled caramel fruit and bitterig hops. I like a bitter IPA more than most, but the flavors just don't meld well. Astringent, and the good flavors (more of the fruit and pine) get lost in the mess. Worst part of the brew. Below average for sure, and then some.
M: Not bad. Hard to get past the persistently not good taste, but medium bodied, spot on for the style, and leaves a nice coating. Wishing for more carbonation to wash the taste away.
O: Not too happy. I could smell this and be ok, I could feel this and be ok, but I can not drink this and really 'like' it. It's alright at best, and I'm sure if I wasn't thinking about it I'd be happier. After having a can of Daisy Cutter, this is not doing that name justice at all. Just not good. Will not recommend nor seek out more.

4.12/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to Mike for picking this up on my behalf. Served in a Bell's tulip.

A - Late-rising finger of white foam that settles to a thin cap and glass-coating lace. Hazy peach juice body.

S - Smells like Galaxy hops alright. Big orange, tropical fruits, floral notes, a bit of herb and pine. The malt backdrop is actually reminiscent of Brian's Flossmoor beers but less heavy-handed.

T - The taste isn't quite as strong - there's a mild astringency mid-palate. More leafy and herbal, with bitter grapefruit, and less malt sweetness apparent. Bitterness is moderate but not palate bruising.

M - Hefty medium-full body, juicy, slightly grainy and pulpy, medium-low carbonation. No alcohol, but a touch of warmth after half a bottle. Finish is a bit sticky - could use some more dryness.

D - I had no problem polishing off a bomber on my own. Half Acre is a reliable brewery when it comes to hops, no doubt. That being said, the astringency grew a little fatiguing. I'm not sure this is an improvement on regular Double Daisy Cutter, although I haven't had it in a long time.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 64 oz. growler into a tulip. Thanks to Dunt for bringing this over.

Appearance: This is a murky, hazy, beast of a beer, I can tell already. Unfiltered golden color with a decent creamy white foam head on top. Retains reasonably well, I imagine it fades a bit more quickly because it is from a growler.

Smell: A fairly pungent bitter hoppy aroma supported by a biscuity, bready pale malt aroma. Some grapefruit, but a lot of grassy hay notes, a bit of herbal hops, and a touch of pine.

Taste: Starts with a very light honey malt sweetness and some nice biscuity malt. A slew of hop flavors quickly overload the malt. Strongly bitter, there is a moderate amount of grapefruit, with a great balance of pine, hay, and herbal flavors mixed in. The finish has a nice bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Grainy, a little sticky and resiny, with medium carbonation and a fuller than medium body. Nice and tingly hops throughout.

Overall: This definitely grows on me as the glass progresses. The complexity of the Galaxy hops take a little while to become apparent, but the reward is worth it.

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

8th review on BA
Bomber into New Belgium snifter.

A: Smooth orange haze with single finger nail head on medium pour.

S: Floral, floral, floral. Very pungent and citrusy, almost pine with a hint of earthy overtones. Smells like nature...

T: Bitter up-front that yields immediately to well-balanced hop character mid- to back-end of the palate. Aftertaste is quite piney (almost a little too long), but not an over-bearing in-your-face.

M: Smooth and nice. Most enjoyable!

O: A very, very well put together and smooth, smooth beer. Balance between malt, hops, and earthy overtones is nice, although pine flavor is quite big. Excellent one-off brew from a delightful base-beer. Thoroughly enjoyable and I look forward to drinking many more HA brews in the future!

Galactic Double Daisy Cutter from Half Acre Beer Company