Follow our progress ...

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by MasterSki on 12-28-2012

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 31
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Let me get this out of the way right now:

I don't understand the hype behind regular Big Hugs. It's a perfectly decent beer, but I don't get why people line up for it. However, Vanilla is a little more of a standout. Still don't think it merits standing in line for hours, but it's definitely a good beer.

Had on tap at Half Acre's taproom, pours pretty nice, with a thick brown head. Smells very faintly of vanilla and MAYBE a hint of coffee. Not particularly strong smelling either way.

The taste is not dissimilar to the smell, a mild vanilla over a pretty standard-tasting (I don't mean this in a bad way) roasty stout. It's creamy and pleasant, and not too sweet. The finish is what gets me, though--The vanilla beans give the beer a sticky, oily quality, and it leaves your mouth feeling really rich. I generally don't rate mouthfeel as being overly important (obviously a thick stout is better than a thin one, but taste usually matters MUCH more to me), but for this beer, it's one of the main things that makes it. Very pleasant to drink, and equally pleasant as it leaves your mouth.

Good stuff from Half Acre! I can only imagine how great the Maple version of Big Hugs was, and sincerely hope they decide to barrel age this (or Maple). Now THAT would be worth lining up for!

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at the Half Acre release served in their signature snifter.

Look- A thin dark coffee colored brown with a generous mocha colored head.

Smell- Weak coffee, some roast, a slight hint of vanilla trying to poke through.

Taste- Bakers chocolate, a little coffee, and a hint of vanilla in the finish.

Feel- Oily, but on the thin side with a semi dry finish.

Overall- I've enjoyed buying a couple Big Hugs every year, so I figured to give this a try since I was in Chicago for the weekend of the release. A good enough beer, but nothing spectacular that raises the bar to world class status. The coffee and vanilla are both a little lacking in aroma and flavor for me.

Vanilla Big Hugs from Half Acre Beer Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.