Follow our progress ...

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by MasterSki on 01-11-2013

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 2
4.01/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Gravity pour at the Half Acre taproom. Served in a 5oz taster glass.

A - Tan foam settles to a partial cap and thick collar, leaving behind spotty lace. Hazed dark orange-brown body.

S - You can definitely taste the cardamom spice addition here, and it definitely imparts an exotic quality to things. Otherwise it's largely red fruit and toffee malt character of the base beer. Not much in the way of hops.

T - The taste is quite similar, but with a bit less spice than the aroma suggests. Nice cotton candy and sugary malts, with mild cardamom. Cask treatment or spice appears to have blunted a lot of the harsh bitterness I got from the draft sample of the base beer. Solid stuff.

M - Smooth body, with lower carbonation. Soft and mildly chewy texture, with a lightly dry finish. No alcohol presence at all. A very excellent example of cask beer.

D - Solid stuff, with a surprisingly effective spice integration. I actually preferred my taster of this to the sample I had of the base beer, and if I'd had more time I would have happily drank 13oz of this one.

Tomten - Cardamom from Half Acre Beer Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.