Mecha Hugs - Half Acre Beer Company

No picture uploaded.

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Aged in Corsair Distillery’s Quinoa Whiskey barrels.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 05-24-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Drucifer

10-17-2013 14:29:29 | More by Drucifer
MasterSki

4.2/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On-tap at the tap room. Had a 13oz snifter and then another 5oz pour the next day.

A - Tan foam settles to a thin cap, thick collar, and splotches of lace. Very dark brown, opaque body.

S - The aroma is a tad buttery, which is a bit confusing as I've never perceived that flavor from Big Hugs; I've never had Corsair Quinoa whiskey, so perhaps that's the source? There's a good dose of milk chocolate, coconut, and vanilla, and the coffee from the base beer has largely fallen off. Whiskey flavors are present, but understated. Reminds me a tiny bit of Good King Henry Special Reserve. Well-hidden booze for 10%.

T - The taste loses a lot of the buttery flavor, although there's still a vague buttercream-filled chocolate vibe. Coffee finally shows up, and whiskey contributes a bit more than barrel to the taste. Roast comes out more as this warms up, but the barrel-aging has blunted the charred astringency I don't totally care for in the base beer. Quite rich and decadent, but goes down surprisingly quickly. Again, well-hidden booze.

M- Light oak, gritty coffee grounds, surprisingly dry and clean finish for such a sweet beer. Full bodied, with pleasant moderate carbonation. Again, pretty mellow for 10%.

D - If I hadn't been biking I definitely would have ordered a second snifter. Best barrel-aged offering I've had from Half Acre, and one that I hope they repeat in the near future. I find this significantly improved and enriched Big Hugs.

08-09-2013 22:57:06 | More by MasterSki

thewimperoo

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

07-24-2013 19:31:47 | More by thewimperoo
gregdafdxguy

Wow. Stunning. Maybe the best brew I’ve ever had. I kept missing this on tap, and finally got a chance to try it when they put it on tap out of the blue. Beautiful pitch-black color, like the richest looking beer you’ve ever had. Smells amazing, even very cold: chocolate, vanilla, sweet bready malt, Turkish delight, ribs, coffee. I’ve had all the famous beers, and this was as good as them all. What sets it apart is how easy it is to drink; imagine drinking BCS by the pint. You can’t, right? BCS is awesome, but Mecha Hugs takes the best parts of barrel-aged super stout and makes it drinkable. I had two of these in 90 minutes, and I drove home, happy and still tasting the brew 30 minutes later. Tastes like the best milk chocolate, with a strong alcohol kick you can sense in its richness but can’t really taste, full of chocolate and vanilla, with some smoke all on a rich, velvety body. I am in awe. BCS is my standard for most complex, rich beer ever. But I liked Mecha Hugs more.

07-24-2013 01:08:15 | More by gregdafdxguy
Mecha Hugs from Half Acre Beer Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.