Half Acre / New Belgium 2023m2 - Half Acre Beer Company

Half Acre / New Belgium 2023m2Half Acre / New Belgium 2023m2

Half Acre Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.00% ABV

2023m2, brewed at Half Acre last month, is a soft sour ale that features the delicate complexity of a well designed New Belgium beer. A partial kettle souring process and light use of Maresh and Sumac all lend an equal hand in delivering a full experience. The numerical name ties into the area measurement of an actual Half Acre. Our hope, though, is to again brew together in the year 2023 and send that beer to the first group of people living on Mars.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-12-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

2.25/5  rDev -24%

PopnLoads, Dec 02, 2013

JellyJacket, Nov 04, 2013
3.04/5  rDev +2.7%

I was torn between rating this as a lightly malted APA (pretty good) and a Wild Ale (Not at all). I decided to go with as a wild ale, though I could drink alot of this beer and enjoy it thinking it was an APA. 22 oz bomber courtesy of clewis901 pours a clear gold color with an off-white head. Not much retention and lace.

Nose is musty green grape skin, fruity hops and the lightest of tartness.

Taste is more on the fruity hoppy side of things than anything resembling sour. It does have a soft, light and delectible malt presence. I like it as a non-sour beer, but the label claims "Soft Sour" so that is what I was hoping for...in that regard I was let down.

twiggamortis420, Oct 23, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -40.9%

jegross2, Oct 15, 2013

Christopher0331, Oct 03, 2013

imperialking, Sep 05, 2013

Jd2391, Aug 18, 2013

RWNay, Aug 12, 2013
2.74/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

On-tap at the tap room. 16oz pint glass.

A - Thin white cap settles to a thick collar, leaving behind splotchy lace. Transparent golden body with a hint of haziness to it.

S - Sulfury yeast, cereal grains, a touch of lemon-scented cleaner, perhaps from noble hops? I'm not sure what Maresh and Sumac smell like, but there are some flowery and herbal notes in the periphery.

T - Lightly tart finish, but largely a grainy wheat beer with a bit of peppery Belgian yeast. Not much sweetness or much depth at all for that matter. Finish is a bit odd, with a mix of tartness and tea-like astringency.

M - Medium body that is smooth and slightly creamy, with only a touch of grain to it. Slightly sticky, with negligible acidity to it. Alcohol is well-hidden, I guess.

D - Confused by this one. It's like a really tame, slightly 'off', high-ABV Berliner; a tad reminiscent of Grand Teton Snarling Badger, but even less tart. 'Soft' sour is an overstatement here; this barely passes the threshold of perceptibility. Not undrinkable, but I'd skip this one. Took me a long time to work through my glass.

MasterSki, Aug 10, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +18.2%

ERRL710, Aug 05, 2013

Ak555667, Aug 03, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I saw that this beer received some unfavorable ratings, but I think the price per bottle was around $8 and I'm usually game to give anything Half Acre or New Belgium puts out, so I figured why not?

A - Clear and golden in color with an average 1 finger off-white head. It almost looks like a standard IPA or something.

S - Sweet bready yeast and a little funk

T - It definitely tastes like a saison up front, with some fruity Belgian yeast. It's slightly sweet too and there's a flavor at the end that I can't quite put my finger on. I guess that would probably be the Maresh and Sumac that they used? But I can't say I know what to expect from those are supposed to taste like. Nonetheless, I found it pretty enjoyable to drink.

M - Medium bodied, slightly sweet and chewy.

O - Since this was labeled a "sour" beer (soft sour or not) and put out as a collaboration between two heavyweight craft breweries, I think people expected a lot. And (rightfully so) I think people expected it to be sour, which it isn't - hence the low ratings. If they were to reclassify this beer as a funky saison with Maresh and Sumac, I think the ratings would be higher, as I found it to be an enjoyable, refreshing beer.

cnbrown313, Aug 01, 2013