Lil's Pils - Seven Brides Brewing

5 SRM
Ratings: 10 | Reviews: 8
Reviews by Hoptometrist:
4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Served on tap into a shaker glass.

A- Poured a bright golden color, semi-clear, white soapy head that left no lace.

S- Big yeasty, buttery, and cheesy notes. It sounds very odd for a pilsner, but it smelled really good and quite unique.

T- Lots of cheesy, buttery, yeasty, fruity/citrusy, and clove notes. Some breadiness, pilsner malt, and slightly spicy notes.

M- Refreshing, very dry, and prickly carbonation.

O- For a pilsner this flavor profile is definitely unique and as a beer in general I have not really had anything quite like it. Some of the buttery and cheesy notes I got from this beer may sound like off flavors or bizarre, but everything worked together very well. I imagine a lot of those flavors came from the yeast strain and I usually don't get much yeast expression in the flavor of many lagers, but I enjoyed this very non-traditional pilsner.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a finger of head on a clear straw body.
The aroma is metal and a little lemon.
The taste is solid pine bitterness with a watery finish.
The texture is crisp.
Great aroma and good taste.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

22oz bomber from Roths Sunnyslope store in Salem. Nice hazy yet bright yellow beer with a nice half inch thick white head. Ok ,acceptable lager ,papery aromas..little hopping though..well maybe a wee bit. tste is better than the aroma, hoppy and malty certainlly but the balance breaks down somewhat in the end..i think they are using some hops that are more suited for a pale ale though. I actually liked this one as far as mouthfeel went. Overall a nice PNW Pilsner/lager..very similar to Full Sails pilsners.

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours light straw color with a thick white head made up of tiny bubbles - falls rather slow. Smell isn't very strong but it is pleasant - hint of lemon, a bit bready, hard to put my finger on it. Taste is crisp with bready attributes, hops are definitely there but nothing overwhelming - very nice flavors coming out fruity bready bittersweet goodness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation - makes me salivate for another drink. This is probably the best pils I've had. Its a style that I'm just recently coming into and I enjoyed this beer for the style its in.

Cheers

2.89/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

5% ABV per the label.

Pours a hazy golden-yellow with a foamy bone head that fades to nothing. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, grass, and slight funk aromas. Taste is much the same with grain, grass, and slight funk flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of earth bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a below average beer that is showing what I think is a mild infection with the funk aromas and flavors I am getting. This is not the first time I have experienced an infected beer from Seven Brides.

Serving type: bottle.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

A German style pils brewed with Bavarian lager yeast, Lil's shows polished clarity in daisy yellow with lively carbonation and a creamy white head. When fresh it boasts a welcome balance of gentle toasted grains, noble hop bitterness, and a punctual dry finish. These subtleties may be lost under average serving conditions so be sure to inquire about freshness or sample first.

3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber, into a wine glass (fundraiser dinner, no choice!)

Pours a slighty hazy straw color, tight head, faded a bit quickly, some lacing. Aroma is pretty non-descript.

Initial taste is clean, lightly hopped; however, the back-end has a noticeable adjuncty/metallic twang to it. An IPA could almost get away with it, but the pils can't hide this effect.

Mouthfeel is good, carbonation makes it reasonably drinkable in this respect.

Glad I tried, likely won't be a revisit though.

4.15/5  rDev +16.6%

From the tap at Venti's Basement Beer Bar, 11 July 2009.

a: cloudy / very light straw color / creamy head
s: crisp floral aroma
t: floral, grass, citrus / satisfying; a little milder than my preference
m: crisp, light
d: very drinkable; I wanted another, immediately

I am very, very pleased to find an excellent pilsner brewed within 15 miles of my home. A good pilsner, in my experience, is apparently difficult to brew. Seven Brides meets my expectation.

I have been searching for a local pilsner; I had had to expand my radius of sustainability to 600 miles to find satisfaction. This unequivocally qualifies a excellent local pilsner.

I will lobby Venti's for repeat appearances among their 8 taps.

Lil's Pils from Seven Brides Brewing