Citra IPA - Rock Art Brewery

Ratings: 45 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by 80x2HopHead:
4.19/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Overall this is exactly the beer I was looking for, something with a clean citra blast, sessionable and not too much body. Pours a light golden hue with a moderate head- no particular attractions nor detractions here. Smell is exactly what I have come to love and expect from the citra hop- grapefruit, lemon and mango- love it. Not at all piney and I pick up on very subtle malty undertones- no boozyness at all. Taste backs up the aromas- tropical and citrussy with a very faint malt backbone and literally no boozyness- once again I love this component. There is very little bitterness to this brew, however being one who loves the bitter brews I don't have an issue here. Mouthfeel is light and almost lacking carbonation, the upside is that there is little malt backbone which to me allows the citra hop to come through and makes this IPA crushable as hell. On the whole this is a very delicious IPA and showcases the citra hops very well. I would certainly recommend this IPA if you are looking for a lighter, full flavored IPA that comes through with a citra blast. Well done Matt

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

On tap at The Reservoir in Waterbury, VT.

Pours a pale gold color, with a foamy head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells slightly catty, with some grapefruit and mango. Not as strongly fruit as I would like, to be honest.

It tastes fairly good, I'll give it that, but it just doesn't stack up to other single hopped Citra IPAs. The hops don't jump out as brightly as they should- the mango and grapefruit flavors are just kind of weak, and flat at times. There's a very small amount of bitterness.

The beer has a lighter body, with a lower amount of carbonation, and a sweet juicy mouthfeel.

I think this would be improved with either a larger amount of Citra hops, or if it was Citra + some other hop.

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%

@ Brewster River Brewpub, Jeffersonville VT

Clear gold with a thin white head. Kinda sorta sticky. Smells like orange/tangerine citra goodness but muddled. I want hops to leap into my nose. Steely malt and mouthfeel really sucks away much of the citra goodness. It's there but far from bursting onto my palette like a proper IPA.

Doesn't show off citra as much as I'd like.

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

Love those Citra hops and they come through so nicely. More piney than citrusy. (Which makes me wonder what other hop is showing up the Citra?) Hop-lover's paradise.

3.57/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a whitish-gold hue with a decent head into my glass. I really like Rock Art's growler offerings.

Bursting with mango and grapefruit notes and bready malt. From what I've had of citra-hopped beers, I can't get enough.

The aromas give way to weakened mango and grapefruit flavors. There's some bitterness but it just doesn't seem work.

Ditto for mouthfeel. At least it has a nice hop bite at the very back that coats the throat.

I'm not sure how long this has been on tap at the growler bar that I went to. Either way, it's still tasty and I would love to see it bottled.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

delicious glass of Vermont ipa right here, and a better illustration of the mighty citra hop than a lot of its single hopped peers. a pale blonde soapy looking brew, definitely no caramel malt standing in front of all the hops. a creamy white head caps it off the whole drink. nose os sweet cantaloupe melon and lemon curd, all from late kettle and dry hopping with citra I assume. malt has a pale character, some wheat maybe, and is light enough to be mistaken for a pilsener malt except for that it thankfully lacks that bread crust biscuit character of the classic pils grain. hops are front and center but the bitterness never really comes out. some oils in here, but far from the overly assertive west coast bombs, this is refined to the next level. soft in feel, even relaxingly mellow with the tiny bubbles and long finish. rock art has clearly come a long way over the years from middle of the Vermont pack to one of the leaders. this ipa is as good as any.

to view more.