Magnumus Ete Tomahawkus ESB³ - Rock Art Brewery

Magnumus Ete Tomahawkus ESB³Magnumus Ete Tomahawkus ESB³

Rock Art Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  8.00% ABV

An ESB squared! It’s big! It’s bitter and it’s balanced! Heck, we even dry hopped it with Tettnang hops, but I’ll admit the Tomahawk chewed up the dry hop and didn’t spit it out!

(Beer added by: scottum on 08-29-2006)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
2.19/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I have had a few beers from Rock Art, but nothing I can remember. Actually, I take that back. I shared a bottle of their imperial stout the other night. I was drunk when I drank it, but I remember it having an almost metallic flavor. Anyway, that is the last Rock Art beer I remember. I do like their logo, though. Reminds me of the west. It also makes me think of Dave Matthews Band for some reason. Anyway, I just got done running 3 miles, so this beer better deliver!

In the Glass: This is a lot cloudier than I expected. I don't generally like this style, but the ones I have had, I didn't care for. I expect them to be more bitter. You know, hence the name. The beer did produce a really nice head, and even a few minutes after pouring, it still sits proud on top of the beer. Not much lace, but I am still enamored with the head. You could sit a quarter on this pillow of suds!

Nose: Imagine taking a pine cone and soaking it in a pale ale. Then smell that. Bingo. That is exactly what this smells like. TONS of pine, which make me think of hops, and a nice earthy finish. I hope that transfers over into the flavor, because this smells great. I close my eyes and imagine sitting by a campfire in the middle of the woods… not like I would do that, of course! Let's drink!

Oh, and before I forget, there is a funny quote on the label. It says, "This Ain't For No Mama's Boy of Daddy's Girl". Cute.

Flavor: I just took a drink, and had to look in the glass to make sure I wasn't drinking water. There was practically nothing on this at first. Then, toward the back of the palate, a few hoppy flavors show up, and you can taste the bitterness. This beer comes in at 80 IBU. The finish is smooth, leaving nothing to look forward to. I do, however, like the aftertaste. But that's about it. Here… let me take another sip. Same experience. Not much going on.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? Unless you swish this around in your mouth, you wouldn't even know you were drinking beer. There is no carbonation, and it literally drinks like water. Not impressed at all. This style just isn't for me.

Aftertaste: This is the only place where flavor comes in. Remember that pine cone I was talking about? The aftertaste leaves a thin layer of piney goodness for you to suck on, but that's it. The finish is also drying, and the more times I swallow, the dryer the flavor becomes. Not sure what it is about this style, but it feels like an IPA gone bad. These are hoppier than a pale, but not quite an IPA.

Sorry Rock Art, but I won't be buying anything from you anytime soon. I almost wonder why this beer made the list. Some might like this style, but I ain't one of them! (I used ain't twice in this blog post.) The best thing about this beer is the name. Might be the longest beer name out there.

rickyleepotts, Apr 09, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +19%

Tiernan, Feb 06, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

Bomber poured into a pint glass. Hazy orange color with a medium head that was very sticky. Mostly a pine aroma, a little bit of floral presence. The taste was mostly all piney hops, a little late bitterness. It had an oily, not altogether pleasant mouthfeel. Not an enjoyable beer.

lordofthewiens, Jun 20, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

22 ounce bomber, no freshness dating, pours lightish, washed out amber, cloudy, with a nice looking, tiny bubble, egg shell head, leaving plenty o' fine, scattered lacing. Nose is of boldly mild British style hops. Flavorful, hoppy Brit style creation, interesting, complex, quite dry stuff. Nice job here by Rock Art. Probably the best one of theirs I've tried. Not quite a double IPA, as others have suggested, more of a double ESB. What ever you want to call it, I like it.

Billolick, Dec 24, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

poured from bottle into a pint.

Appearance: Darker golden color with about 3 fingers of an off white head that lasted a few minutes and left almost no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet smelling citrus, with alcohol.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied and smooth, a delightful strong punch of bitterness after a sweet taste upfront. After taste was a bitter and I could taste the alcohol.

Overall: It is what I expected from an ESB, I enjoyed this brew from begining to end. I would buy again if I was in the mood.

Cavanaghty, Aug 04, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

This beer is very nice an hoppy, it's got a bit of a piney taste to it. Nice lacing and a good head along with a deep amber color. It's got a fairly light mouthfeel with a good bite from the higher abv.

I will mention that the beer I had (12oz bottle) had a lot of yeast in it. A lot settled out after a couple mins but it was surprising how much there was although it didn't effect the taste.

Update: I did a better pour on the next bottle clear of all yeast, it looks great! A nice deep amber with quite a bit of carbonation! Just be careful when you pour from a 12oz bottle!

kingcrowing, May 11, 2009

mjtiernan, Nov 15, 2011

bpfrush, Nov 15, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

PretzelsNBeer, Aug 11, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

Slightly hazy honey colored with quick rising streams of fine bubbles running towards a half inch high head of thick off-white foam. The head lingers long and leaves a ring of lace around the inside of the glass as it lowers itself.

Aroma of buttery malt and hops - I'm picking up citrus, some floral, and a bit of pine, all the colors of the hop rainbow with none dominating. Maybe even a bit of alcohol ether showing through.

Flavor is initially piney hops, slowly morphing to...piney hops. Malt base is understated but some doughey malt does come through. It is somewhat hidden by hop bitters and alcohol fumes, and no other flavors emerge, save for some grapefruit rind.

Full and rich mouthfeel, fills the entire mouth as it rolls through. A carbonation tingle in the finish and an alcohol warmth lingers.

Not very drinkable for me, lacks depth.

far333, Jun 12, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +4%

Pours cloudy with minimal head. Golden to light amber color. Highly carbonated. Very strong attractive aroma of malt and English hops. Very pleasant maltiness upon tasting that fades to a nice blend of malt, hops and alcohol. Doesn't taste 'extreme', despite its name. Doesn't knock my socks off but very drinkable. An 8% session ale??!

skivtjerry, Oct 11, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My bomber says ESB2, not 3 but the rest of the label is the same, so I assume it is the same brew.

A-Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass. Veiled peach pour with a minimal head that settles into a thin ring after a few minutes.

S-Aggressive pungent malt backbone present with some hops in the background.

T-Amped-up ESB is right. Pale malts are present in abundance at the beginning of the palate and grassy, pine tar bitterness kicks in shortly thereafter and carries through to a lasting finish. There are lots of styles that shine as an imperial...I'm not sure that an ESB is one of them. This one kicks you in the teeth with a rather lackluster flavor, that is not terribly refreshing or satisfying.

M-Full mouth...slightly sticky and resinous. Well balance carbonation.

O-Another one of those answers to a question that nobody asked. I dig extreme beers, but this one just didn't have any reason to make me want to try this again.

caddybuyer, Sep 11, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

1.6 pint bottle into a Trappist glass....hops cubed indeed noted as the beer is poured, aggressive yet respectful...consistent head on a dense orange body--look of a solid ESB...slick, straight-to-back of mouth push; aftertaste sidles over tongue’s edges...a complex beer, demanding a full drink...too much hops for an ESB?....a bit of citrus flourish... leery of anything labeled extreme--most of all, beer--and likewise leery of these Vermont brewers (i.e. Magic Hat) who can’t confidently categorize their own brews, I still am impressed with an 8% ABV that offers NO hint in the tasting whatever...this beer was a pleasant surprise, and provokes me to seek other Rock Art work...

dacrza1, Jul 07, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Rock Art- Magnumus Ete Tomahawkus

A- Deep cloudy brownish orange with a big thick ringed lacing head.
S- Strong pine hops with a sugary citrus and sweet caramel backbone.
T- Thick sweet caramel malt which quickly is overpowered by an even sweeter citrus and pine hoppiness. Very sweet throughout.
M- Starts of malty but the hops take over and dominate. Very smooth and sweet. Alc. well hidden.

Overall- Smoother than I was expecting and too easy to drink. Awesome beer, and my favorite from Rock Art!

NJpadreFan, Jul 27, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

ESB x 3

AP: A semi-cloudy copper/amber color with a bubbly but thin and a scattered head that eventually recedes to a thick ring around the edge with little delicate designs in the bubbly cap.

Nose: A strong sweet-fruit and citrus (lemmons for sure) hop scent upfront and a semi-sweet malt scent underneath. This has the nose of an double IPA with a slightly stronger malted scent.

Taste: Triple ESB...very interesting indeed, this one tastes much like a Double IPA with it's fruity effects but this also displays some hearty, wheatie, caramalized malted flavors as well.

MF: Medium body, crispy feeling and rather substantial feel on the palate.

DA: 8.0 % ABV hits pretty hard after the second 20 oz'er!

GratefulBeerGuy, Dec 21, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a clear eddish gold with a large white foamy head. It's a nice looking beer with good lacing and a lasting head. The taste is a malty hop bitter explosion. The intial sip is sweet malt then bitter hops with alcohol. A pretty good Bitter. The m/f is light with the flavors mixing well making this a very good beer that should not be missed and one of Rock Art's better beers.

jmz62565, Nov 04, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Very fresh from the factory. A bit of cloudy medium yellow, with perpetual white head. Hop aroma is significant. Medium plus mouthfeel, a dangerous drinker and good and full IBU.suitable carbation. A paradigm shift for Rock Art and unique.Double ESB.

Sammy, May 16, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

brokentee, Sep 01, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap at TJ's Everyday in Paoli, PA. From notes, 8/13/08:

A: Golden. Hazy. White head. OK retention but good lacing.
S: Hops dominate over a basic malt base, citrusy, resinous, grassy, leafy and herbal.
T: it appears as more of an IPA than an ESB. There's no real caramel to it. Good hop flavors though: Grassy, leafy, citrusy. Solidly bitter. Aggressive even, given the malt backing. Finishes dry and hoppy.
M: Medium bodied. Median carbonation.
D: Average. It's a big beer but it doesn't really feel it. If it actually is 8%, and I doubt it, it will slow you down without giving you a real run for your money.

NeroFiddled, Mar 08, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -8.7%

Kind of a surprise.

Part ESB, part IPA ande part barleywine.

IBUs are profound as is the sweet maltiness at the backend. I like the beer quite a bit but I can understand how some might be confused.

An OK beer. I might drink it again but there are better ESBs out there - I like ESBs.

telecomz, Feb 20, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a clear amber with a big foamy white head that nearly fills have the glass. It eventually settles down to the point where I can fill it up more. Huge lacing that covers the glass in a sticky web. Aroma is kind of subdued. Mostly hoppy citrus notes and some light tones of sweet malt.

Taste is extremely sweet up front with caramel malt that gives way to a very aggressive flood of strong floral citrus and hop bitterness. The bitterness is very biting and lingers on the tongue for a while. The extremeness of the malt and hops does tame down some and feels more balanced as it warms. Mouthfeel is a beefy medium body that takes on an almost viscous feel at times.

I'm not really sure what to think of this "ESB Squared" experiment from Rock Art. The thick body and in your face hops and malt definitely made for a tough drinking experience at times. A lot tougher anyway than most of the Double IPAs that this seems to be trying to imitate. Maybe a little more balance would have helped make this a more enjoyable encounter.

Kegatron, Dec 10, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I bought a six pack of this beer while in Vermont. Sadly, the store where I purchased the beer had extremely misleading labels which indicated that this beer was rated over 95 on BA. Clearly that's not the case and it's truly evident in the beer as well.

The beer pours a dark hazy brown with a significant bubbly head which lingers for only a few seconds and recedes to the edge. The aroma is largely non-existent. There is no sweetness, just a bit of maltiness which transitions into a clean crisp scent. Personally, I find this very disappointing because the aroma is a very large part of the overall experience. The taste, like the smell, is non-existent. I only tasted a profound bitterness near the middle and end, but nothing else stood out. BORING.... The mouthfeel is decent. The beer has good weight and density without being oppressive. There is a little tingle from the alcohol, but not much.

Bottom line, it's not worth the money. More hype than anything else here.

negroobserver, Jan 05, 2013

mozim, Jun 03, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

Dark hazy copper colored body with plenty of velvety smooth white head. Shows a rich and sticky texture as well.

Aroma is slightly sweet maltiness covered up by an almost overpowering grass and pine resin hops aroma. As it warms some bready malt character can also be detected.

This beer puts the Bitter in Extra Special Bitter. Certainly more bitter than any English ESB I've had and it's American hop profile gives it a flavor profile reminiscent of many American IPAs. Plenty of herbal/floral and even some grapefruity hop flavors but it's really the early addition bittering hops that tell the story. 80 IBU's of wonderful mouth puckering bitterness. Malt character is the one area that keeps this from being an IPA with just enough caramel and biscuity malt flavors to remind you that this is not a D.I.P.A. However, I wouldn't mind seeing the scale tip a little bit more in favor of the malts to help provide a more distinctive ESB flavor.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with a slightly cream texture and helps mask the 8% abv well. Overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying this IPA... of wait no, I mean ESB, it just not quite as malty or balanced as I would have thought for the style.

Kinsman, Jun 03, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer has the unfortunate duty of having to be my third reviewed Rock Art beer, when the first two did not earn above a "3" rating. They did a fair good job with this one, but in no way have they completely redeemed themselves.

Very fruity nose, kind of a smoky after bite as well. I've often had a little bit of difficulty distinguishing the effects of hops on a hopped up beer and an ESB. To me this one is very hopped up, and bitter.

A pretty heavy beer, definitely not a session beer, but very good.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Jan 07, 2007