Magnumus Ete Tomahawkus ESB³ - Rock Art Brewery

Magnumus Ete Tomahawkus ESB³Magnumus Ete Tomahawkus ESB³

Rock Art Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  8.00% ABV

An ESB squared! It’s big! It’s bitter and it’s balanced! Heck, we even dry hopped it with Tettnang hops, but I’ll admit the Tomahawk chewed up the dry hop and didn’t spit it out!

(Beer added by: scottum on 08-29-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.19/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I have had a few beers from Rock Art, but nothing I can remember. Actually, I take that back. I shared a bottle of their imperial stout the other night. I was drunk when I drank it, but I remember it having an almost metallic flavor. Anyway, that is the last Rock Art beer I remember. I do like their logo, though. Reminds me of the west. It also makes me think of Dave Matthews Band for some reason. Anyway, I just got done running 3 miles, so this beer better deliver!

In the Glass: This is a lot cloudier than I expected. I don't generally like this style, but the ones I have had, I didn't care for. I expect them to be more bitter. You know, hence the name. The beer did produce a really nice head, and even a few minutes after pouring, it still sits proud on top of the beer. Not much lace, but I am still enamored with the head. You could sit a quarter on this pillow of suds!

Nose: Imagine taking a pine cone and soaking it in a pale ale. Then smell that. Bingo. That is exactly what this smells like. TONS of pine, which make me think of hops, and a nice earthy finish. I hope that transfers over into the flavor, because this smells great. I close my eyes and imagine sitting by a campfire in the middle of the woods… not like I would do that, of course! Let's drink!

Oh, and before I forget, there is a funny quote on the label. It says, "This Ain't For No Mama's Boy of Daddy's Girl". Cute.

Flavor: I just took a drink, and had to look in the glass to make sure I wasn't drinking water. There was practically nothing on this at first. Then, toward the back of the palate, a few hoppy flavors show up, and you can taste the bitterness. This beer comes in at 80 IBU. The finish is smooth, leaving nothing to look forward to. I do, however, like the aftertaste. But that's about it. Here… let me take another sip. Same experience. Not much going on.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? Unless you swish this around in your mouth, you wouldn't even know you were drinking beer. There is no carbonation, and it literally drinks like water. Not impressed at all. This style just isn't for me.

Aftertaste: This is the only place where flavor comes in. Remember that pine cone I was talking about? The aftertaste leaves a thin layer of piney goodness for you to suck on, but that's it. The finish is also drying, and the more times I swallow, the dryer the flavor becomes. Not sure what it is about this style, but it feels like an IPA gone bad. These are hoppier than a pale, but not quite an IPA.

Sorry Rock Art, but I won't be buying anything from you anytime soon. I almost wonder why this beer made the list. Some might like this style, but I ain't one of them! (I used ain't twice in this blog post.) The best thing about this beer is the name. Might be the longest beer name out there.

04-09-2013 21:41:12 | More by rickyleepotts
Hendry

4.06/5  rDev +7.4%

Okay, this bomber was a gift and I took a couple weeks to make my way to trying it. Upon opening it and taking in the nose, which is a balance of malty and hop goodness, it seemed to me there was a West Coast vibe to it.

It pours a cloudy amber color with a generous soapy head that lasted quite well. The lacing was also quite good. There is definately an interesting mix of malty and hoppy with the hops slightly edging out the maltiness.

Carbonation is medium as is the mouthfeel, and the interesting part of this ESB is the interplay between the malt & hops. It wasn't until halfway through the bomber that the flavors started to grow on me a bit. Upon finishing, I felt like it took half of this bottle to get me acclimated to the flavors, and by the time I finished it the aftertaste and overall impression of Magnumus Ete Tomahawkus was favorable.

The nose and flavors/aftertaste very much remind me of Gigantic IPA from Oregon, but this is a Vermont product and a decent one at that. A good value and worth a try.

03-19-2013 03:46:51 | More by Hendry

oriolesfan4

01-06-2013 17:06:36 | More by oriolesfan4
negroobserver

2.7/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I bought a six pack of this beer while in Vermont. Sadly, the store where I purchased the beer had extremely misleading labels which indicated that this beer was rated over 95 on BA. Clearly that's not the case and it's truly evident in the beer as well.

The beer pours a dark hazy brown with a significant bubbly head which lingers for only a few seconds and recedes to the edge. The aroma is largely non-existent. There is no sweetness, just a bit of maltiness which transitions into a clean crisp scent. Personally, I find this very disappointing because the aroma is a very large part of the overall experience. The taste, like the smell, is non-existent. I only tasted a profound bitterness near the middle and end, but nothing else stood out. BORING.... The mouthfeel is decent. The beer has good weight and density without being oppressive. There is a little tingle from the alcohol, but not much.

Bottom line, it's not worth the money. More hype than anything else here.

01-05-2013 06:38:51 | More by negroobserver

11-11-2012 05:18:35 | More by Rhettroactive
Digimaika2

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

(3.5) A: Hazy deep amber with a peach-hue to it. Semi creamy foam head with very good retention and a decent lacing down the glass.

(4.0) S: Dry pine, citrus, buttered bread, and a fair amount of spice including nutmeg and others I can’t quite put my finger on. Nice damp and earthy quality with a solid malty aroma.

(4.0) T: Similar to aroma with a dry grapefruit and pine taste, coupled with a bit of tart lemon. Hearty malt backbone complimented with spices. Definitely leans towards the bitter side of things with the hop dominance, and I’m enjoying it.

(4.5) M: Medium bodied with a moderate-high carbonation for the style. Resiny and slightly chewy. Dry and slightly acidic (not in a bad way) which gives it enough bite. Everything works together very well.

(4.0) D: Not quite up there with Vermonster, but an excellent Rock Art offering that I always try and grab when I’m in the area. Worth a try.

10-27-2012 02:39:58 | More by Digimaika2

Connecticut

08-25-2012 13:15:29 | More by jfcaa193
hmph

3.73/5  rDev -1.3%

Received from robtobfest in another awesome trade, thanks again!

A - wow , beautiful dark golden orange and yellow with a large (3 fingers +) off white head that dissipates quickly, leaving a frothy haze on top

S - very very strong hope presence , smells more hopped than most ESB's I've had, some creamier notes as well and a hint of candied rum (think malibu rum)

T - Some thick layering of bitterness, very bold tastes with hop bitterness leading to some malt notes in the finish, linger taste of sweet grass, mellows as it warms, alcohol is well hidden

O - This is a really bold flavored and hop forward ESB, not like any other I've had. It was well done and had a good layering of flavors with a sweet bitterness on the end. Good beer, glad to have tried it!

08-20-2012 03:40:25 | More by hmph
Knapp85

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

Not your typical ESB, This one poured out with a nice deep orange color with a cream colored head on top. The smell of this beer was definitely dry hopped and gives off plenty of floral hop aromas in the nose. The taste of the beer was nice but again not a traditional ESB flavor. Big amounts of bitter flavors dominate the maltiness of this brew. The mouthfeel of the beer is medium bodied with a nice smooth texture with a sharp crisp finish to it. Overall I enjoyed this beer quite a bit but if you're expecting a true ESB style beer look elsewhere because this one is more like an IPA.

08-13-2012 21:14:15 | More by Knapp85
PretzelsNBeer

08-11-2012 01:02:10 | More by PretzelsNBeer
Cavanaghty

Maine

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

poured from bottle into a pint.

Appearance: Darker golden color with about 3 fingers of an off white head that lasted a few minutes and left almost no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet smelling citrus, with alcohol.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied and smooth, a delightful strong punch of bitterness after a sweet taste upfront. After taste was a bitter and I could taste the alcohol.

Overall: It is what I expected from an ESB, I enjoyed this brew from begining to end. I would buy again if I was in the mood.

08-04-2012 00:50:00 | More by Cavanaghty
DrunkinYogi

Connecticut

07-23-2012 00:34:38 | More by DrunkinYogi
SouljaSaia17

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Pours a light amber color with a good 2 to 3 finger bright white head that dissipates slowly. Good carbonation as well.

S: Very unique smell to this beer. Im getting some earthy, resinous hops, followed by a slight citrus and caramel. I also get a hint of spice and rum aroma.

T: This has a flavor that sticks right in your mouth. Has some hop bitterness up front but not like an IPA. I get some molasses or a syrup flavor along with some bready notes at the end, which give this a dry finish.

M: Mouth feel is lots of sticky bitterness upfront and then mellows out a little. Medium bodied beer that definitely sticks out as an old English pale ale type of beer.

O: The saying on the bottle says it all, "this ain't for no mama's boy or daddy's girl". This is my first Rock Art and I am a bit impressed by the complexity of this beer. Not something I would seek out again, but good to experience at least once.

07-18-2012 02:18:59 | More by SouljaSaia17