The Vermonster - Rock Art Brewery

The VermonsterThe Vermonster

Rock Art Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

We brewed The Vermonster with 110 pounds of malt per barrel and jacked up the pour into a wide mouth thin glass goblet.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-23-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Vermonster Alström Bros
paco1029384756

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

Bottle thanks to jlindros.

Pours deep dark crimson color with one finger of off white head.

Scent of bitter hops, sugars, caramel, sweet fruit, and a hint of earth. The alcohol is masked perfectly and the spicy hops and sweet malts blend very well.

Taste of sugars, some dark fruit, bitter leafy hops, tea, and a hint of alcohol. Finishes with dry grain and more hops. An awesome Barleywine, I don't know how this will age, but this stuff is marvelous fresh. This has quickly become one of my favorite American Barleywines.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and oily with a sharp bite of carbonation.

Extremely drinkable, this stuff goes down way too easily.

12-14-2009 00:51:14 | More by paco1029384756
deltatauhobbit

Maine

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

Big thanks to Ruth (aka duchessedubourg) for bringing this to the first Southern Maine Beer Drinkers Club meeting. This was the first thing that was tapped and a great way to start out the night.

Pours a cloudy rusty brown color, good amount of head in the small pour, leaves a bit of lacing.

Smell is holy cow hoppy! It certainly caught me off guard and I was not expecting it to have such a presence.

Taste is much more balanced, but the piney hops are still around but mingles with the malt rather than stealing the show, some heat but not nearly as much as I would expect from some fresh barleywine.

I've been wanting to try some Vermonster for awhile now, glad I finally got the chance.

Serving type: growler

12-11-2009 01:35:22 | More by deltatauhobbit
Katahdin

Where to start other than to say never, ever again As big of a fan as I am of Barleywine I had high hopes for this based on its apperance in the glass and its pleasant aroma but I was quickly dispapointed with the first sip.

Very, very bitter with an overwhelming hop taste that couples with pine resin flavor to drown out any hints of the carmel that appears in the aroma. The texture was horrible, I have never had such a chewy beer before, and the thin carbonation only exacerbated the problem. The body was jsut too big to deliver any semblance of drinkability, and for the first time in 25 years I had to cut it 3:1 with water.

12-09-2009 21:12:54 | More by Katahdin
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

22 Received a long while back from imagineiii... thanks Conor.

I'm broke and pulling a couple bottles from the cellar tonight... I've had this a time or two before, but it has always been at tastings with the Boise boys... Time for a proper review.

Poured into my Delirium goblet.. beautiful khaki head and great lacing the brew is deep brown until held to a light and perfect garnet brilliance shows.

Nose is very nice... it immediately reminds me of Full Sail's Old Boardhead with a year or two on it... very hoppy.... tons of citrus and pine.. but a great malt backbone balances with sticky caramel and nice toastiness.

Big bitterness out of the gate balances the thick maltiness... big oily pine hoppiness mid palate helps temper the caramel...

The body is a bit bigger than medium... just the right amount of carbonation to help mildly scrub the palate making me want another sip... this is a very nice sipper and I am a bit sad to see it go as I pour my 2nd glass.

Thanks again goes out to Conor.... a damn righteous trader.

4.5/4/4.5/4/4

12-09-2009 07:46:08 | More by JohnGalt1
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

Pale mahogany in color. Small, tight, tan head. Moderate aroma-has a mellow oakey/vanilla thing to it. Very floral and somewhat caramel like. Big malty flavor. Good level of hops going on. Again a faint oak/vanilla flavor. Long lingering bitterness. Gets a tad boozy as it warms and towards the end of the glass. Very nice mouthfeel-at times an almost creamy smoothness. The boozy/alcohol tinge gives it a faint acrid bite. Very enjoyable and satisfying. I nursed this over a solid hour and it just got better. Well balanced and the best Rock Art beer I have had.

12-07-2009 00:13:49 | More by lackenhauser
jonziefle

Appearance: Poured a slightly cloudy, very dark red/brown color. 1.5 finger head, light khaki and “pillowy”. Retention is very good, with the head sticking around for a while and then keeping a thin layer. Very good lacing up and down the glass. Very little carbonation.

Smell: Smell is of strong oily hops. Grapefruit is the most dominate smell, along with some pineyness. The hops try to hide the alcohol (and do a pretty good job) but you definitely know its there. Sweetness is above average, with a syrupy quality to it.

Taste: The taste that hits you is big, but not overly harsh or intense. The hops flavors are actual mild compared to the nose, with above average sweetness. The alcohol bites a bit (and gives the beer some heaviness), but its not overwhelming. It tingles the back of your troat. The flavors do stick in the mouth for a while.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and thick, with a syrupy and chewy characteristics. Nice alcohol bite.

Drinkability: Very big beer, but very drinkable. Tastes like a cross between a DIPA and a barleywine. Lots of hops in the nose and booze in the taste, but balanced with both. Definitely a sipper, but an easy one to drink.

Buy Again? Yes.

12-03-2009 03:20:03 | More by jonziefle
Errto

Connecticut

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

First review, here goes.

Hadn't heard of Rock Art before the Monster incident, and happened to see it in a local store, so figured I'd give it a try.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a wine glass. Dark brown (edit: that was because the light was too dark, it's really more light-brown-amber), fairly cloudy, not a lot of bubbles. One finger head, dissipates somewhat slowly.

Very strong hop presence in the smell, not what I expected for a barley wine, so I was more than a little intrigued. Alcohol is definitely there too, no mistaking it. Malts are there too, but fainter.

Taste: I'm a fan of the strong, hoppy, somewhat to very dark ales (Oskar Blues Gordon and Southern Tier Iniquity being among my favorites). This tastes similar in some ways. Hops are incredibly strong, especially the grapefruity kind. As the smell suggested, there's no mistaking the alcohol - this does not hide the 10.0% ABV. But you know what - that's ok. This beer is big in every department: hops, malt, and alcohol, and I like it that way.

Mouthfeel: well-carbonated so you get that nice tingly feeling, but something (the alcohol maybe?) makes it a bit harsh.

Drinkability: not the sort of beer you'd have more than one of, and I certainly took my time with it, but again, I feel like that's how it should be.

Overall: a fascinating beer. I'd definitely have it again if I could find it, but I sort of doubt I will since other than that one time I've never seen it in local stores. I'll be visiting western MA in a month or so - I'll look for it there.

12-01-2009 04:35:48 | More by Errto
berkey

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

A nice surprise in a recent trade. Sampled in a Duvel tulip. From notes 11/26/09. Pours a hazy brown color and forms a decent sized firm light tan head. Leaves some filmy lacing as I swish it around the glass.

Aroma has nice bitter and citrus hop bite. Caramel malts follow, with hints of brown sugar and maple syrup. More hop pungency becomes evident as it warms.

Taste follows the aroma for the most part. Alcohol heat is a little more prominent than I'd prefer but isn't horrible. Hops are just as pungent and dry as they were on the nose but a little 'green' leading me to believe this one is still a little too young. Even so, this has slightly better balance than many other young American BW's I've tried.

Medium carbonation, mid bodied, drinkable enough for a barleywine. Overall an interesting entry in the category, actually stood up fairly decently in a side by side with Mirror Mirror but fell just a hair short of that beer. Not perfect but well executed and tasty enough that I'll definitely be seeking out more Rock Art beers in the near future.

11-27-2009 20:32:41 | More by berkey
boatshoes

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received this in a trade with TheRowan. Excited to try it after all the fuss raised by Annheiser/Inbev over the name! Thanks Rowan!

Appearance- Pours a very dark but not opaque shade of brown with about a half finger of lightly tanned head rising up. Head dies fairly quickly, leaving some lacing however, though not as much as I expect necessarily for a barleywine.

Smell- Interesting, and I can tell this will be on the hoppier side of barleywine. Lots of big sweet caramel malts up front. However, this is balanced out surprisingly evenly with a good dollop of resiny hops which are also very evident on the nose. They provide a bit of a bite, and there is just a touch of astringent alcohol noticeable as well.

Taste- Here, it is hops, then malt for me. The first thing I notice is the presence of a good deal of piney hop bitterness, followed then by a healthy amount of malt sweetness. I find that the flavors are both nice but don't blend together as well as they could, with both a fairly distinct bitterness, then followed by a fairly distinct sweetness. This may just be me but I think they could blend together a touch nicer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Good levels of carbonation, though I find that the mouthfeel is neither as substantial or as slick in the mouth as I like in a solid barleywine. The lack of flavor integration also hurts this beer a bit on drinkability.

Overall, a pretty okay barleywine. Glad I got a chance to try it but I can't say it was my particular cup o' tea.

11-24-2009 16:12:28 | More by boatshoes
BetterDarker

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Bomber poured into a snifter, left the yeast behind.

A- Dark brown with a white head, good carbonation with solid retention. Hard to tell if it is clear or cloudy because it is quite dark. A great looking beer.

S- Smells fantastic, nice malt aroma with earthy hops. Smells like a sweet IPA.

T- Initial sweet taste with strong hop presence at the end. Solid bitter but not over kill. Minor caramel flavor in the back ground. Tastes great.

M- Perfect carbonation.

D- This is an aggressive beer, a slow sipper for me, I will have another but at a later date.

11-22-2009 03:03:18 | More by BetterDarker
indiapaleale

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Pour - muddy brown in color with quite a lot of sediment (spent yeast) at the bottom. Loose fluffy, off-white head. This looks pretty dark once it settles. Intriguing...

Aroma - lots of fresh floral hops with some chocolatey cocoa notes. Plenty of malt hits the nose as well, this smells almost like a big, dark IPA and since its a fresh Barleywine it very well could be defined as such (in my opinion of course).

Taste - big, sweet, juicy with a huge heavy hand of hops hitting the back of your mouth right off the bat. Lots of hoppiness along with caramel, dark malt and the flavor of grape soda or Dimetap possibly. Delightfully warming if I do say so myself.

Overall - this is a big, bold, hoppy Barleywine that is for sure. I wasn't sure what to expect but this is very good. I can only imagine how much this would mellow out after a year in the cellar.

Would I buy more of it? - Yes and I can honestly say that Rock Art makes some of the most affordable craft beers on the market. This bottle was less than $7. I'd like to have a bottle to keep around for a year or so and then compare it with a fresh one.

11-21-2009 04:41:47 | More by indiapaleale
magnj

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

After all of the drama surrounding this beer I decided to pick one up, somewhat surprised we had it though I had never looked for it before. Saw their beers only in bombers down here.

A - Quite a bit darker than I had anticipated, producing a brown body that lets little light through. Head was 1 finger on a somewhat aggressive pour, thin film remains after a few minutes leaving no lacing on my Weyerbacher pint glass.

S - Lots going on, basically a huge IPA. Lots of American hops giving off Pine and citrus. Behind the hops is a big malty, caramel sweetness that is somewhat musty almost like a cask beer.

T - Big hop flavor up front remains dominant throughout the sip. As the initial bite fades a sweet body pushes through only to be quickly outdone by the big Pine and typical American hop flavors. These hop flavor coat the tongue and linger long after the sip. This is at once a big complex beer and a restrained, well rounded example. Some in the style can be massive and jumbled, but this brew is well crafted and obviously well tested.

M/D - Silky, sticky sweet body is appropriate for style and matches the rest of the brew well. Easy to drink considering the ABV but still obviously a potent concoction. Overall a beer I very much enjoyed on my 100th BA review!

11-21-2009 03:09:15 | More by magnj
Mora2000

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to sinstaineddemon for trading this one to me.

Pours a dark brown color with a small white head. The first whiff is strong on the hops, specifically a strong piney aroma. You also get a little caramel malt and alcohol in the aroma. The taste is a lot of pine and grapefruit hops up front, with a strong caramel backbone later in the taste. When the beer is cold, it is very unbalanced and hoppy. The beer gets much more balanced as it warms up, although the alcohol stays present throughout. Not really sure how close this fits the American Barleywine style since it is so hoppy, but it is very good regardless. Recommended.

11-12-2009 06:34:13 | More by Mora2000
KeefD

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Much thanks go to Sparklepants who shared this beer with me tonight. Dasrk amber in the tulip, not much in the way of foam, and no lacing. Not really expecting much in the appearance departement from such a high ABV beer, so this gets my default 4. Aroma is all hops up front, nice and piney, with some sweet malts in the background. Booze bring up the rear end of the nose, and I'm detecting just a hint of raostiness on the back end. Flavor is nice and hoppy, bitter for sure, resiny pine, and a solid, well structured malt profile. Caramel is in the forefront of the malt side, followed by a touch of chocolate and the lightest bit of roastiness buried deep within. Bitter, piney hops were at the front when it was cold, but as it warmed, the malts really started to shine and became extremely well-balanced. Mouthfeel was a tad a thin for me, and the booze was just a touch too strong, but it was damn tasty all around,and that's what's important. Great beer and would like to thank whichever trader hooked up Sparklepants with this one, and she herself for sharing the love!

11-07-2009 05:40:07 | More by KeefD
mikey711

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Split a bottle after a lacrosse game tonight.

A: Pours a murky brown that has little transparency. No lacing at all and just a thin layer of head on top.

S: Boozy and caramel. Not much else going on, maybe a mild hint of hops

T: Rich caramel and toffee backbone. A sense of booziness prevades for sure. The hops provide a slight bitterness. I wouldnt say its balance but it is rather enjoyable

M: Booze. Other than that is it very nice, full bodied, mild creaminess.

D: Fairly easy to forget this on is so big despite the booze. Great to share but could easily have this bomber on my own

11-06-2009 03:51:25 | More by mikey711
scottg

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter glass.

I've had this beer a number of times but never reviewed, with the threat of being taken off the market I bought one to review. Thankfully, Monster energy drink dropped the lawsuit and we can enjoy these for years to come. Now to the beer.

Pours a dark brown color which is garnet when held to the light with a one finger off white head of large bubbles with good retention leaving streaky lacing that sticks to the glass. The alcohol is apparant in the smell with grapefruit, raisin, fig and sweet grapes. Roasted malt and chocolate flavors mix with sweet concord grapes and grapefruit with a vanilla finish. Full body, medium carbonation clean drinking beer. The alcohol is noticeable in the aroma and flavor, not a creeper- definitely a sipper on a cold Vermont winter night.

11-05-2009 22:48:41 | More by scottg
Onenote81

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottle received from Tutes3 in a recent trade. Thanks for the hookup, Brian!

Poured into my snifter. Pours a very rusty amber with a thin off-white head on top. Very little lace sticks. Right off the bat, I get whiffs of crisp piney hops, but this gives way to scents of toffee, caramel, and leather.

The mouth is crisp with a moderate amount of carbonation, but it still carries a decent creamy feel. The alcohol is definitely present in this one. I can taste a slight boozy quality. The alcohol taste doesn't linger too long as this gives way to a highly roasted caramel flavor. The finish on this is drying with hints of walnut and more toffee.

This was a really good beer, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to give this one a try. Thankfully, I've got another that I can sit on for awhile. I'm interested to see what some time does to this beer.

[*EDIT - New review of cellared bottle. Consumed on 3/23/2011 (cellared since Oct. '09)]

So happy that my wife picked this bottle out to have whilst watching some TV last night. Poured my allotment into an Allagash chalice. Pours a ruddy murky amber/brown with a thin beige head on top. The nose is still strong with some piney hops, sweet caramel, and lemon. The body has held up well. Goof firm heft, with a good amount of carbonation presence. The flavors have become more mild than I remember, and have melded together well. Sweet toffee, light bitter greens, with a chalky finish. Booze is not as known in flavor, but is known in affect. Still good after a couple years. Glad I kept one. This is a good style to sit on for awhile.

Avg - B

11-04-2009 21:49:05 | More by Onenote81
brentk56

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a burnt caramel color with a full, creamy head that leaves sheets of lace

Smell: Rich caramel aroma, with significant piney bitter tones; tobacco and spearmint, too

Taste: Although there is a rich caramel flavor from the get go, it doesn't take too long for the resinous, piney hops to make an entrance, bringing the tobacco and spearmint flavors with them; after the swallow, the chocolate minty flavors take over but the pithy, piney flavors linger into the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation and considerable warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: Though the flavor is complex and the mouthfeel is fine, the assault on the tastebuds limits the drinkability of this beer

Though it has aged about a year since imagineiii sent it to me, this beer still has a lot of hoppy bitterness going for it; thanks for the opportunity

11-02-2009 01:46:51 | More by brentk56
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From 22oz bomber into snifter, as label suggests.

A- An aggressive pour. A deep, rusty brown, no head. And I poured this beer heartily. Nope. Nothing. Still, @10%, I guess that's par for the course. Nice coloration, though.

S- Pretty sweet, dark fruit, bready malts. A tad bit of alcohol noted. Actually, a fair bit of alcohol noted. A bit off-putting.

T- Much better. The dark, candied fruits, bready yeast, and significant hops come together and make a pretty good beer. Not the best barleywine, but surely one of the hoppiest. As a hophead, I appreciate the effort. Rock art uses their hops very well, and very boldly. As I sip, this beer begins to grow on me. Well done. I taste brown sugar, orange zest, faint cranberry???, and a lot of booze. The hops are spicy, piney, and very powerful, and go toe-to-toe with the significant malt bill. This is one of the few beers that incorporate the alcohol into the taste and succeed, very highly at that.

M- Crisp, yet malty, lingering, multi-dimensional. The significant hoppage (100 IBUs) does a lot to set this beer apart. I'm digging it.

D- Fairly high, considering the ABV. I drank this one quicker than I thought I would, and really enjoyed it. It really grew on me, and by the end of the bomber I want to climb on my roof and shout its name for all to hear. I will buy this one again, very impressed!

10-22-2009 21:55:35 | More by ShogoKawada
VTaler

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

A - Very cloudy, dark brown. Looks kind of like ice tear. Small head that goes away very quickly
S - Candy, sweet malt. Kind of a caramel smell. Hops are there but the malt takes over.
T - Caramel & hops, Hops come first, bitter citrus hops. If you are a malt and hops lover this is heaven for you. Nice warm feeling malt. Can hardly taste the alcohol. For 100 IBUs it is not overly bitter. Very well balanced. Though the malt tasted great it could have been a bit more complex
M - pretty heave mouthfeel with medium carbonation
D - For barelywine, Dangerously drinkable

10-18-2009 18:54:18 | More by VTaler
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours brown, perhaps a very dark amber, with off-white head. Nose is very candied, almost suggesting a winter warmer. Malt & light citrus are noted.

On the palate there's a big influence of malt and not just hops, and I was expecting nothing but hops given the boastful 100 IBU label. So, there's more balance than expected, but nothing spectacular one way or another on the palate - hops don't stand out, malt doesn't stand out. It's balanced because not much is going on. Finish is somewhat short.

10-14-2009 01:30:16 | More by yemenmocha
kingcrowing

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

22oz bomber poured in a sampling glass.

Pours a deep amber with small head and some lacing. Nose is very sweet, malty and strong, very nice.

One of the best barleywines I've ever had, easily. Very sweet and malty rich and sharp. Super hoppy at 100IBUs but goves very will with the huge malt bill, extremely well balanced and very drinkable for such a big beer.

Also, nothing like Monster energy drink... incase you were confused.

10-10-2009 22:10:11 | More by kingcrowing
SFLpunk

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Sticker on bottom reads JUL 09.

Appearance: Cloudy tawny brown with thin tan head and very little spotting.

Nose: Spicy and sweet. Lots of caramelized aromas and some spicy earthy pine-y notes from the hops. A little alcohol prickle, but understandable at 10%. Some orange (juice) crops up later.

Palate: A lot hoppier and drier than I expect from the nose. Lots of forest-floor earthy tree-bark notes, some pine-cone hop, plus dried lime peel. A touch prickly, but that probably will smooth out with ageing. Long, hoppy finish.

Notes: Surprisingly hoppy for a barley-wine. Will be putting some of these down to age in the cellar. FFO Stone Old Guardian.

Notes to Hansen/Monster Beverages: This is in no way confusable with your yellow-green energy drinks. Please drop your law suit against Rock Art directly.

10-08-2009 03:28:55 | More by SFLpunk
maximum12

2.17/5  rDev -44.2%

I'm having a not-great run with beer. After having perhaps one oxided beer in my entire life, this is the third I've had in the past two weeks that tastes like it's been compromised. What gives?

Vermonster pours a nice, deep, ruby-esque amber (& I don't mean Jack). Smells is sweet, fruity.

This beer is badly oxidized. The sweet dark fruits & malts give way instantly to a nasty wet cardboard taste permeating the senses. I believe there might be a good beer under here...

Blech. Like to try this again fresher, but this bottle ain't that old.

07-22-2009 02:43:21 | More by maximum12
beerthulhu

A: Poured a deep, ruby red with a beautiful frothy sandy-colored head that displayed an amazing retention even after 4-5 minutes leaving a still respectable foamy covering. A light-medium lazy carbonation slowly makes it way upward. A thick, spongey lacing clings well to the vessel walls smothering almost every spare inch.

S: started out dominant with fresh cut pine wood and strong citrus notes. Light hints of sweet dried caramel with a trailing scotchy alcohol fade also bears well. The aroma loses some of its munster a bit in but is still manageable and well appreciable.

T: A huge hopping of fresh mouth watering citrus and fresh pine first assault the tongue combined with a rich full maltiness. Toasted malting with a touch of light burnt caramel sweetness briefly lingers before closing with a big lingering hoppy finish of dried grapefruit and dry floral notes. The hopping was very sharp and pronounced and provided a smooth fade on the finish. Some dry alcohol is also well noted here. Overall a great blend of hop assertiveness, and maltiness makes this live up to its name.

M: The body was full, very smooth with a nice creaminess from the malt combines well with just a hint of soft carbonation. Really nice to behold and savor leaving a bittering coating of citrus peel behind on the swallow.

D: Drinkability was good, especially for its 10.0%abv which is masked by the assertive hoppiness. Malty, hoppy, and well balanced makes for a easy and quite enjoyable hop monster indeed. Definitly one of Rockarts better beers.

04-06-2009 23:10:16 | More by beerthulhu