Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Belvidere Big IPA - Rock Art Brewery

Belvidere Big IPABelvidere Big IPA

Rock Art Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-07-2009

We brewed this one because we just can't get enough of those hops. IPA's seem to be a great choice any time of the year. They have a great malt flavor and hop profile, just what a beer connoisseur is looking for. We decided to give this one a bit more hops.
4.62/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I truly loved this beer! Tried this while checkin out a sunset from an isolated ridge top in VT - MAN! THAT was GOOD! Big mouthfeel with FULL-BORE hoppy, alcoholic nose/ Excellent aftertaste that just goes on and on. I bought the store out after having my first 22oz bottle. It's *THAT* good ...

Cheers!
- BC (310 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

One pint six oz. poured into my 32 glass mug. Hazy and cloudy, golden edges with a orangey redness center. Off white almost beige filmy head.

Citrus smell, I'm thinking orange peel, pine and a wonderful sweet maltiness. Really a pleasant smelling IPA all around.

Wow! Really nice tasting! Orange peel, lemon, caramel malt, a really nice sweetness meeting a bitterness that really works; this is awesome tasting. Tastes like a imperial IPA for sure

Medium body. Feels really nice in the mouth. Light to medium carbonation. Very easy going down. No alcohol warmth.

I have never heard of Rock Art Brewery so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I tried this, this is a great beer. Very tasty with the malts and hops mixing really well together. Feels nice - I had to slow myself down because I wanted to drink it right away. I can't wait to try their Stout that I also got. (878 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

I found this beer at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, Arizona, and was a bit hesitant to buy an IPA from Vermont. Well, Rock Art Brewing has crafted a terrific beer!

The beer poured well into a pint glass-- a bit cloudy, reddish amber, with a well-carbonated head.

I loved the balance of hops and malt in this beer. It had the perfect 80 ibu that I prefer in an IPA, combined with a sweet, malty finish. After I drank it I wanted another!

If I visit Vermont I will go directly to the brewery and hopefully find this on tap! (521 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While my home state of VT has many great microbrews, they've never been known for great IPAs (with the exception of the amazing Heady Topper and Holy Cow IPAs from The Alchemist). While I had big hopes for Rock Art's IPA (II) Double IPA, I was let down immensely by the lack of hops and strong upfront alcohol taste.

I was expecting much of the same from their latest offering, the Belvedere Big IPA, but I was happily surprised by an exceptional tasting beer loaded with piney hops.

At 8.0% alcohol & 80 IBU, it's definitely for big IPA fans only. The high alcohol content is masked a lot better by the hops than the IPA (II), and the hops are a lot more upfront. You get a strong pine hop flavor up front, with the mellower citrus hops lingering in the aftertaste. It's a slightly bitter IPA (which I love, but I know turns some people off) which graces the tongue with a quick sharp tingle, and then mellows quickly to a lush but not overly sweet mouthfeel.

I am highly impressed & can see the Belvedere becoming one of my standby IPAs when I'm looking for something affordable ($3.99 for 22oz) but complex. (1,114 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%

A cloudy deep copper color with a decent off-white head with great lacing. The aroma is heavy with a pine hop floral sweetness blend. Very full and pleasant with a curious honey medicinal-herb touch. The flavor offers lots of herbal hops and peaty caramel. There's some honey here too, a subtle sweetness buried in the bitter undertow. This is near full bodied, luscious and stick to your tongue good. Creamy, pleasantly carbonated, medium drinkability, yummy all around. Somewhat a mix between a stock ale and a DIPA. Love this stuff! (535 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%

I've had this from bottle and on tap and I definitely prefer the tap (surprise!). Bottle is by no means bad, its an old standby of mine.

A - Darky hazy amber. On the darker side of IPA's, with the exceptions of black "IPA's". A pint of this looks great.

S - Strong hop presence. Very citrusy, possibly even grapefruit if you want to go that far. Also clear bittering hop notes.

T - In my opinion, this is one of the better IIPA's around Vermont. Very strong American hop flavors, again citrusy, but also some bitterness at the very end. Small malt presence, and frankly, thats what I'm looking for in my IAPA's.

M - Surprisingly thin for for an 8% IPA. I wish it had a little bit more body.

O - This is a daily drinker of mine. Im always trying new beers and love lots of different breweries around Vermont but when I just want a damn good beer that I know I am gonna be really happy with, I go with this one. (916 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

Got this bottle from Palmej1 in an amazing box of IPAs, Thanks Jacob!

Poured from a bomber into my FFF glass.

A- Hard pour yields an inch of white foam which recedes quickly and leaves very little lacing. Color is a dark, murky amber. Right for the style.

S- Citrus. Grapefruit and tangerine backed by faint sweet malt. Smells great!

T- Oh sweet heaven! Bitter grapefruit rind exploding at the front, momentarily balanced by caramel malt with a lingering bitter finish. Very nicely done! I am really enjoying this one!

M- Excellent feel. Carbonation is spot-on and the hops provide just the right amount of oily viscosity.

D- Drinkability is good considering the 8% ABV. I am so liking the hop profile that the heat is not evident to me. The bomber is gone far too quickly.

Overall I really liked this one. Tastes like a good west coast DIPA to me. If it were available in California I'd always have a few of these in my fridge. My first beer from Rock Art and I am impressed! Recommended if you're in need of a hop fix! (1,032 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

I love a good DIPA this one somewhat reminds me of a BIG A IPA from smuttynose but not as floral. I liked this alot.

A - Hazy orange body with minimal head appropriate carbination.

S - Candy sugar, floral some citrus.

T - A bit medicinal but at the same time has a really nice flavor to it as well. It stands out and is different which is one reason why I like this.

M - Sticks with you is feel the pine and floral after feel.

D - For a bomber priced at 3.99 this rocks definately drinkable and will have again. (519 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +11%

I've been becoming a bit of a fan of Rock Art. This beer helped further that opinion. A nicely balanced DPA. Very different than the typical Hop bombs (I like those two)

A nice aggressive beige head forms and shows nice retention. Lacing forms everywhere. The beer is a middle of the road amber color with some brown highlights. Good clarity

Aroma is certainly fresh, but I wouldn't say floral. There are some malt and bread notes as well as a bit of fruit.

Very well balanced. Wow, I really enjoy the malt backbone here. Is this an East Coast DPA? A slight touch of alcohol. Again nice bready flavors and a big hop finish. All balanced front to back.

Medium body, carbonation brings the flavor to life.

Very drinkable and enjoyable.

I'll have this one again. (765 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Amber to orange in color. Nice fluffy white head, with a brilliant lace.
Aroma is pungent, pineapple like with citrusy notes.

Very bitter almost astringent in taste. Sharp and pungent with a sense of acetone. Beer is somewhat creamy and avocado like.

Lingering bitterness in the mouthfeel, slight warming sensation. Definite alcohol presence.

Decent beer as far a shop bombs go. Well balanced malt and hop profile. Not overly sweet or dry, yet brutally bitter.

I was happy with the drinkability of the is beer. Rock Art delivers some tasty big beers. This one is worth experiencing. (588 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +10.5%

22 oz bottle purchased at the Dunkin Donuts in Milton for $4.59. Poured into a teku. Pours an almost clear light-amber with two finger white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving a thick ring and plenty of lace. Aroma is hard to describe...somewhat earthy and resiny but with some mango and pineapple. The taste is thick with resiny but fruity hops followed by a healthy dose of malt and finishing with a bitter bite. Mouth is a little on the full side. Overall, a nice and interesting IIPA, with a bit of an out-of-the-ordinary hop profile and a little on the heavy body side, but definitely worth the reasonable price. (633 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

I want to first give some props to Rock Art for providing craft beer to the masses at a very reasonable price. Their 22-ounce bottles are consistently a buck or two cheaper than almost all the other micros I see in the store.

This is one of their beers I've yet to try and when I saw it for $3.99 on the shelves in Brattleboro, Vermont I grabbed it without hesitation. It seemed like a great beer for a warm summer night. Ahh, hops...so refreshing!

Pours a dark amber/chestnut color. Much darker than I expected I guess. It was a bit of a surprise. This one also pours a bit thick as its weighing in fairly heavy at 8%. The head on this is nice and thick and fluffy. Everything looks pretty good.

Wow, one whiff of this is like a shot of super condensed hop liquor. Its hot and hoppy. Lots of sweet orange, mango and pineapple smells along with some pine and plenty of sweet caramel to back it all up. Smells very inviting!

The initial sip is actual sort of toasty and malty and then the bitter hops kick in. The sweetness is balanced by the fresh hop pine flavor quite well. This one has a bit of complexity for a Double IPA. Its not just a hop bomb, its very balanced and the alcohol provides a bit of heat and warmth. Love it. I can't say enough about what a great job Rock Art has done keeping their beers reasonably priced. Well done, you guys deserve some credit!

Note: A little research online turns up the fact that the picture of the hops on the label are actually the cascade hop vines grown for over 15 years by Rock Art's brewer/founder Matt Nadeau. They are also used in the making of this beer. Pretty cool. (1,627 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

One of the creamiest IPA's I've had in awhile. Great mouthfeel. It pours a luxurious dark amber with contrasting white head. A good dose of herbal aromas and pine are noticed on the nose. Caramelly malt comes through nicely on the palate to calm down the hops, and it is far more balanced than I was expecing for an self-proclaimed extreme IPA. Very drinkable and approachable as far as IPA's go. (396 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle purchased at DeCicco's in Ardsley NY a couple of weeks ago.

Appearance: Pours a hazy slightly auburn iced tea with a 1 finger white crown that displays moderate retention and lace.

Smell: Nice caramel malt dose over slightly floral and herbal hops. Very balanced if not a bit malt dominant.

Taste: Very balanced if not a bit malt dominant. The malt isn't overly sweet, cloying, or dark. Rather its a nice light caramel to toffee. The hops take a bit of a back seat but they add some needed bitterness to the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: A touch thicker than medium bodied with great carbonation.

Drinkability: The balance and the carbonation make this one a sessionable Imperial IPA. (694 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Middlebury Beverage, Middlebury, VT.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" tan head over the slightly cloudy bright copper brew. Head recedes ever so slowly, with heavy sticking lace. Aroma is hops, both citrus and pine character present and accounted for. Taste starts with the slightest of sweetness, then the bitterness takes stage for the duration.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, but limited slightly for me due to the intense bitterness, which I htink is a bit over the top even for the style. But that's just me, your mileage may vary. Still a very enjoyable brew overall. (639 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Got this is a trade, thanks trading world for spreading the love. Poured a deep amber, chunky head. Smell was a sweet toffee malt, with a little hop bitterness on the end. Taste was that east coast IPA, mostly sweet malty tones, but then evens out in the middle and you get some piney hops. This is very drinkable for 8%. Not to generalize, but I just tend to like the west coast IPA, fruity and piney, unlike the east coast IPA, malt dominated. (445 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

22 ounce bomber, purchased at DeCiccios in Ardsley, NY. Pours somewhat murky, darker honey amber. The head is super creamy, nicely retentive and leaving ungodly amounts of sticky strands and splotches of lace. Quite a handsome beer. The nose is full of pine and hop resins. Delicious DIPA, aggressively hopped, with more pine shining through. Heady and tasty, with waves of hop bittering and undercoating of malt holding things together. Nicely done. Love the style and loved this one from Rock Art (498 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

22oz bottle at 52 degrees.

Pours dark copper with an reddish-amber hue. A one inch head of off-white sank fairly quick to a solid skim coat on the surface and some decent strings of lacework.

Aromatics lead off with pine resin, citrus pith, and ripe malt. Pungently fruity and sappy. Bright and jammy.

Medium bodied with a tacky, almost chewy mouthfeel. Crisp and snappy.

Earthy pine sap, juicy hops, and plump malt start the palate. Fresh, leafy hops atop a bitter pellet bite. Warming alcohol barely makes a mark under a solid malt base.

Finishes with a lingering, drying bitterness, ripe citrus fruit, and sap-drizzeled bark.

This ones tasting fairly fresh and a notch above most of the other Rock Arts I've tried.
Nice job. (733 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very deep copper amber color with a creme colored foamy head, and during the pour, the carbonation bunched up in big clumps on the lower bout of my Duvel tulip glass.

S - Pine resins, oily spicy grapefruit citrus, and a honey caramel-like malt aroma. For an 8% big IPA, would like a little more going on in the nose but overall, this smells pretty good!

T - This beer won't dissapoint as it lives up to its claim on the IBU scale! Some pine shows up, is very aggressive and heavily leaning on grapefruit for the bulk of the bittering. Underneath is a caramel malt backbone trying to hold things together but gets crushed by the massive weight of the Cascade onslaught. There's also a bit of spiciness showing up. The bitterness hits the palette up front and in three ways: fast, hard, and continuously! There's no depth here at all as it's obviously brewed to really showcase the Cascade hops, and it does a fine job at that.

M - For a big IPA, the body is on the thin side, somewhat watery, produces some warming in the throat on the way down the hatch. There's an aggressive lingering grapefruit bitterness left in the mouth that goes on and on and on... The almost metallic coating is actually a little more citrus rind-like.

O - This is the biggest hop bomb of an IPA that I've had in quite awhile, probably since Moylander D-IPA and Hopsickle - seriously. In that regard, I absolutely love this big IPA because it really delivers the bitterness for us hop heads! It's WAY imbalanced and concentrates on showcasing IBU's as opposed to balance and flavor depth. The only down side that I can think of is the thin and watery body, it's really annoying for a beer of this stature. If Rock Art could just make it a little thicker... (1,745 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Split a bomber of this beer with a fellow BA. The aroma had a medium floral hop component and there was a nice copper hue to the beer. The mouthfeel was very nice and full bodied. The first taste is fairly well balanced, but the hop character intensifies in the midtaste and finish. The aftertaste is nice an earthy and leaves you wanting another drink. (353 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a coppery amber color, decent frothy off-white head, good retention and lacing. Smell is a huge whiff of sweet carmel and biscuty malts blended with a strong grapefruit and earthy hop presence. Taste is dictated by scent with big and bold carmel and biscuity malts flavors supported by big grapefruit and earthy hops. Sweet and bitter at the same time. Medium bodied, oily and coating. Good dIPA which leans heavily toward the DFH 90 Minute end of the dIPA spectrum. (472 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to DrDogBeer for this!
A: pours an excellent bronze color. little bit of head that drops. bone colored head
S: nice citrus. little bit of grass too
T: Grapefruit/citrus sweetness. solid matly finish, not real ABV blast, and a pretty dry finish
M: falls on the lighter side, not overpowering and refreshing
D: pretty high, all in all (339 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearane – This is a beautiful, shiny, but somewhat cloudy perfect orange in color with just the right amount of head.

Smell – The rich, orange and tangerine hops are mixed with a bit of grapefruit. The hop profile is very fruity with a faint malt backbone.

Taste – The fruity hops come out just as strong at the taste but they are mated with some leafy endive and a bit more malty flavor.

Mouthfeel – This is medium-bodied with a very bitter backbone. It is lightly but playfully carbonated.

Drinkability – This was my first beer from this brewery and it is the complete package. It is highly quaffable for the experienced DIPA drinker, well-balanced, and unique. Also, the quality of ingredients is exceptional. (728 characters)

Rock Art- Belvidere Big IPA

A- Dark brownish orange with a huge fluffy white head. Thick lacing down the pint glass.
S- Sweet fruitiness with hints of caramel, pine, and citrus.
T- Thick sweet fruit; grapes, orange, citrus with a decent carmelized maltiness. Earthy grassy pine hops kick in near the end.
M- Thick and sweet up front with a thick fruity malty body and a dry oily bitter hop finish.

Overall- Big pungent flavors with a good mild/ mellow feel. Nice and drinkable for a DIPA. Definitely pick up a bomber of this! (527 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

burnt orange amber. A nice about one inch head graced the top from the very beginning, this slowly faded to reveal just a film across the top. No significant side glass lacing on this one. Decent carbonation could be seen rising up from the bottom of the glass. Nice overall look.

Lots of piney citrus likes hops dominated the aroma. But the story was much more complex then that. Lots of balance was present as well. Some good earthy grains and sugar were also present and well represented. Nice balanced smell nothign really blowing you down in either direction. Super smooth with a delicate underlying malt layer. Lots of sweet orange peel and sugar, a hint of some grapefruit. Very nice fresh cut grass flavor as well. Alot more complex then your typical hop bomb. Very well crafted. (788 characters)

Belvidere Big IPA from Rock Art Brewery