Black Moon IPA - Rock Art Brewery

Vermont, United States

American Black Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: AlexJ on 10-03-2010

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Delicious, a Lucious dark ale that satisfies the hophead in me. Bought by my fiancé on a trip to VT, I knew nothing about the brew and had no expectations. In fact, when it was poured a saw the deep rich brown/black, catching me off gaurs because I didn't even look at the label--I expected a standard IPA!

The hop character comes through strongly in both the aroma and flavor. Heavy on the citrus, much to my pleasure. According to the Coop flyer it's got Magnum, Columbus, Cascade, and Centennial hops.

malt isn't really detectable in the nose, but in the flavor it comes across with notes of chocolate and even dark maple syrup. The merging of malt and hop flavor is wonderful; never before have I been so tempted to chug a 10% brew.

They nailed the body, too. About what you would expect from a DIPA.

Overall this beer is excellent. I'm going to call my friends in Montpellier and have them pick up several more for the cellar:) (937 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

Acquired via trade from baconsausage so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a large dense foamy light brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a very thick on the glass.

S: The aroma is an excellent blend of floral hops, roasted malts, chocolate and citrus.

T: The taste starts out with a good burst of grassy hops bitterness followed by mildly sweet flavors of chocolate and citrus. The malt character is very hearty and provides a nice balance, which I feel is the most difficult trait to achieve in this style. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, strong and well-disguised kick, excellent representation of style, this is a very good beer to drink for a long time. (921 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bought this originally for a friend and after trading it decided I better go back and get one for myself before it was gone. Very smart decision on my part.

A - Very dark. No light shining through this one! Also showing off with a nice frothy 2 finger head. 15 minutes in and it is still holding a nice foamy layer.

S - It carries a very roasty smell. Dark chocolate, and coffee first come to mind.

T - Starts on a hoppy note. Finishes with a bitter side.

M - Initially it has a very viscus feel. The carbonation at first sip really helps play on the hoppy flavors in the beer. I noticed as that dissipated the bitter notes came through very nicely.

Overall I'd say this was a real treat. Some nights when I get home from slaving in the kitchen all day I really just need one beer before crashing in bed for the night. It also really helps when that beer is at a nice 10%. Now that might not necessarily be how my night went tonight but I'll keep this one in mind when it is. Assuming I can get more at the Hunger Mountain Coop in Montpelier, VT. Cheers. (1,061 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22-oz bottle into a weisen glass. Beautifully dark with around a finger of cream-colored head. Great lacing! The smell is very hoppy with lots of pine. Great taste and mouthfeel that starts bitter and slightly sweet and finishes clean, leaving hints of pine on the tongue. Too bad this is a limited production, I'd definitely like to have this one many more times! (378 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Thanks Kristin!

A: Pours a dark brown body, appearing nearly opaque in the glass except for some edge translucence. The head is a creamy, light mocha cap that retains well and leaves beautiful, broken, big-bubbled film on top of the beer. Nice collar and lace. It actually reminds me of a well-poured nitro stout; just a great appearance.

S: Mmm. Dark chocolate and oranges. I used to feel that those flavors clash, but well-done black IPAs have convinced me otherwise. This is no exception; it has a masterful balance of citrus and dark malts, with secondary hop notes of pine and a slight herbal nose.

T: Chocolate-forward, with a touch of roast. When cold, it tastes like a hoppy stout, but as it warms and the pine flavors emerge, it captures that middle ground that I expect from a black IPA. A nice melange of chocolate, citrus, pine hops. A small presence of anise teases it toward the traditional stout side, but there's an herbal counterbalance that tugs it right back. It really straddles the fence nicely, this one.

M: Medium-full bodied, with a well-disguised alcohol content. Lots of flavor, a malty finish that leaves just the smallest warming presence on its way down. It has some lingering bitterness that would normally be a flaw, but it brings with it some malt to produce a dark chocolate effect.

D: I had no expectations from this beer, and I came away massively impressed. Recommended. It goes down with a surprising ease that belies its massive alcohol content and (damn it) bomber packaging. Why do 10% beers need to come in 22oz formats?

Anyway, sorry, Cascade region: you've been served. (1,652 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in the Regional Growler BIF. Thanks baconsausage

Pours a deep black. Nice thick tan head like an oatmeal stout. Nice lacing.

Aroma is nice and hoppy. But with a nice caramel and roast. Smells great.

Taste is awesome. Not too IPA-ish. Was expecting something like night stalker but is almost like a smooth drinkin stout. Nice hop flavor though. Slight bitterness with the roastyness and caramel. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Great carb.

Man glad I got one of these to try. Awesome beer. Grab one if you can. (519 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Part of the hobo tasting at RJ Rockers last night, we went with some damn good DIPA's that I will be the first to admit knocked me for a bit of a loop after a long break. But got a love good beer, good company, and being surrounded by fermenters, still does not beat a chucky cheese. Poured into a pint glass and enjoyed on 02/17/2011.

The last of the tasting I had acquired this gem from Rock art and clocking in at 10% here we go. Dark black pour with a inch and a half of tan that leaps off the top of the beer. Settling down it coats the sides of the glass with a deep layer of lacing and a firm staying power. Hops are much more upfront here than in the previous two. Deep citrus comes through the air followed by a nice roasted malt, brown sugar, earthy and a touch of light peat. Follow through in the flavor was gorgeous with a sustained hop bite that melted away into a smooth sweet malt finish that had just enough left to dry the palate. 10% abv, where???

Overall the winner of the day for me, until I got home, but really very well done and probably my favorite thing I have had from Rock Art. (1,107 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%

They aren't kidding when they say "black". No light getting through this puppy.
S- roasty, floral notes
T- a lot going on. Complex. Roast, some chocolate, dark fruits, pine, sweet but not cloying or overdone, bitter in the finish. Every sip brings out something new. Where is the 10%? It's well hidden!
M- another poster described this as viscous...yeah, that's it. Good body and the lacing sticks around. The carbonation is spot on.
I only picked up one bottle of this on a recent trip to VT. Damn...hopefully I'll be back up there soon. I'm definitely seeking this one out again. (583 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Had on tap at Farmhouse Tap and Grill. Review from notes 12/28.

A: Dark black with a two finger tan head. Good retention, slowly settled to a thin layer of foam. Nice lacing down the sides, not sheets, but a good amount left behind.

S: Hit right away with some nice floral hops, a little bit of pine. There is a grassy smell as well. This is followed up some roasted malts and chocolate.

T: Some very nice hops upfront, a nice combination of citrus and a little pine. It blends very nicely with the malty backbone as well as the chocolate and caramel that come through as well.

M/D: Medium bodied and very smooth. The alcohol is extremely well hidden. I was very happy to have had this beer, it tasted great right off the tap, I only wish I could get some more. (768 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A reward for a trip across the border today.

A: It is black. I get it. A touch of cola colored when held up to the light. A half finger of brownish head with some impressive lacing.

S: I have been having quite a few examples of this style lately and I think this might be the best nose I have ever had for it. The black and the black and the IPA have never been more integrated in the nose for me. You get the hops which come across with a nice citrus not then the malt which has a touch of chocolate with only a hint of roast.

T: Just like the nose. I think the roast really can get in the way of this emerging style and it is just not there. A touch of chocolate combined with citrus nature of the hops is a real winner. The finish is nice with a touch of chocolate and a nice pleasant lingering hop taste.

M: Feels like a normal IPA. It was never overwhelming. Well carbonated.

D: This is one of the best examples of the style that I have had hands down. The more of these beers I have the more I realize that the roasted flavors really need to be cut back. (1,065 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Wow. Thanks again to KristinCooks for this one as an extra in a trade. It could really be the main bottle in a trade, because it's fantastic. Enjoyed with my buddy Dan and his wife Leigh on New Year's Eve. Breaking out the nice IPA's for this one!

Goddamn! This f*cker smells exceptional! It's hoppy, it's malty, it's... like a campfire in the forest and a toe-tingling wave on a hot summer day. Appearance is dark brown, with a tan head that maintains. Smell is a mix of roastiness and hop bitters. Grapefruit predominates in my mind. Black Moon's taste far exceeds Black Moon's music (for the underground rap fans...) and it leads with hops, features roasted sweet malts in the middle that give it its darkness, and finishes with a grapefruit tinge that lingers in the back of your palate.

I'm floored. A f*cking co-op grocery store made this. Official WTF. Too bad I won't see another bottle of this anytime soon, because I'd enjoy it "in a moment of solitude" as the beer label suggests. The one knock is drinkability. While its really smooth, its deceptively alcoholic. But that shouldn't stop you.

Plus, if my review hasn't sold you, Dan says it has a fun finish. So there's that too. (1,194 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I gotta say, I like this beer WAY more than I thought I might. The big 10% ABV is masked beautifully and the hops come through very well without leaving too much bitterness. Overall this is such a smooth BDIPA. Only problem with this beer is that the brewing period is too short. (279 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Black as night, totally opaque. Head is a little thin, not unexpected at 10% ABV.

S: An immediate slap in the nose from some dank hops, with mild citrus following. Very slight roastiness as it warms. Alcohol is not evident at first, only slightly noticed as it warms up.

T: Starts dank and herbal, then citrus takes over and blends nicely with some sweet chocolate/coffee notes. Very clean and balanced; finishes with clean alcohol and hop bitterness. Strangely reminiscent of Pliny the Elder, but a little subdued all around in comparison (not to mention the roast malt!).

M: Satisfying. Medium body, medium carbonation. Not at all astringent despite the huge load of hops and roast malt.

O: A great beer. Dangerously drinkable like most good hoppy beers. If you are undecided as to whether you want a DIPA, imperial stout or barley wine, this is the perfect beer. Also a huge bargain price-wise, at least here in VT. (925 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

black as night nice medium brown head with nice lacing.

Aroma is very hoppy, resiny, piny, rusted malts and chocolate.

Taste is pretty similar...actually spot on but more chocolatey and roasted notes.

Feel is medium, creamy and slick.

Drink is pretty good. Nice and intense! (278 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Nice new collaboration brew between Rock Art and Hunger Mountain Coop in Montpelier. No freshness date/brewing date to be had.

Pours darkest of brown, dark tan head, lofty and retaining its height well. Leaves an extensive assortment of sheeting and lace.

Nose is bursting with pine sap, charred malts and fruity/hoppy/malty goodness.

Tastes fresh and flavorful. 10% nowhere to be found. Quality strong brew written all over this one. Warming, complex and oozing care and quality in brewing.

More dark and burnt malts shining through, then the hops reenter and assault the palate. Flavors are rich, dense and intense. really enjoyed this one as a late night sipper/night capper. Well done Rock Art, probably the best beer I've had from them. Quality brewery, quality Coop that I had the pleasure to visit recently. The collaboration has produced an impressive and well worth seeking out brew. (896 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

I got this beer the first day it was available at the Co-Op. I have not been a big fan of Rock Art in the past, but I must say that this was delicious.

It pours pretty much like oil. Thick and black, with a big hearty head and plenty of lacing. It smells like s'mores cooking over a bonfire in the woods in October. Chocolatey, piney, malty, hoppy goodness with a lingering kind of fruity finish.

I wish I could afford to drink this every day, because I know it's gonna be a long cold winter.
Good work, people. (515 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

22oz. bottle served in a tulip. Pours one shade shy of black with a half inch, creamy, tan-colored head embedded with ringlets and interspersed with clusters of bubbles. Head was refreshed with a gentle swirl of the glass. The overall appearance is very much reminiscent of an RIS. Creamy spots and slashes of lacing were revealed during the tasting. Nose expresses an earthy char, coffee notes, cocoa and a trace of earthy hops. Taste reveals dark chocolate, a creamy quality, an earthy character and only a trace of bittering hops. Mouthfeel was medium-bodied with an assertive, palate cleansing carbonation. I have to say that I wasn't sure what to anticipate from this brew. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the complexity, well-hidden alcohol and the chocolatey/malty flavors so prevalent in the flavor profile. Well worth your time if you have the opportunity to try this one. (888 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer is a collaboration between Rock Art and Hunger Mountain Coop in Montpelier.

A healthy pour of Black Moon produced a tan colored, thick and creamy head. The beer was pretty much black.

Smelled of dark chocolate, piney hops, and faint alcohol.

Taste was full of dark roasted malts, plentiful piney hops, and a touch of alcohol in back.

Body was full for a black IPA.

This is a wonderful beer that will keep you warm on a crisp fall evening. Black Moon is my favorite Rock Art to date.

-I am also new to the reviews- (530 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From the 650 ml. bottle. It is clipped at February but also at "19." So I'm not sure if that means the expiration date is Feb 19. In any event I drank it on April 10, 2015.

Anyone who takes beer vacations to Vermont knows that the Hunger Mountain Cooperative natural foods store is a good place to find some interesting beers. And this one was brewed by Rock Art especially for the Coop so it is not a widely available beer.

The color is deep brown with a long-lasting foamy tan head.

While I do pick up some dark malts on the nose the pine and earthy hops tend to overpower everything else. 10% so I get a hint of alcohol.

Fuller body with an astringency that seemingly burns the back of my tongue.

Just a phenomenal earthy and pine bitterness rips into every aspect of the flavor and penetrates my senses. While I get a slight dark malt and dark licorice under currant the hops are what make it memorable. Wow. Drink slowly. Not for the feint of heart. (965 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours fairly black with just about 2 inches of light tan head. Great retention, leaves a good bit of lacing.

S: Lots of citrus hops, chocolate, caramel, some vanilla. Pretty awesome with a lot going on.

T: Rush of chocolate upfront with citrus and floral hops attacking on top. Reminds me of a chocolate covered orange, but way more complex. Coffee and touch of vanilla are in the mix. Good bit of caramel in the middle. A little herbal and piney on the finish. As with the nose, there is a fair amount of complexity. Very little roasted quality, the chocolate blends perfectly with the citrus hops.

M: Medium body, moderate to maybe slightly high carbonation. Fairly smooth and a little creamy, a nice marriage of the resinous and sticky qualities of an IPA with the creamy smoothness of a stout. Alcohol is extremely well hidden, I had no idea this was 10% when I first tried it, I would have believed it if I was told it was 6%.

O: This is likely the best black IPA I've had so far. A perfect mix of citrus hops and chocolate malt without too much roastiness, char, or leafy/rooty hop astringency. Drinkability is dangerous as well. (1,177 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tap at das bierhaus burlington, VT.

Light creamy head fades semi slowly with light lacing, darker almost black beer with ruby hints of light sneaking through the edges.

Nose a bit of roast and dark chocolate, bakers choc, caramel, vanilla, hint of molasses, then a bit of earthy and light spicy hops, even light citrus hops. Light cocoa later.

Taste semi sweet creamy dark malts, milk chocolate and chocolate milk, oats, bakers choc, light roast, hint of coffee and espresso, caramel and vanilla. Then nice earthy hops, light spicy and citrus hops, decent bitterness. as it warms and mellows in my mouth more cocoa comes out with hint of cinnamon and coffee. As out finishes a ton of coffee comes out, espresso and more biter spicy hops.

Mouth is creamy and med to a bit heavier bodied, decent carb, slightest hint of booze.

overall very nice, good dark malts, chocolate, coffee, and bitter hops balanced well. (915 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

A-Pours a deep dark black, opaque with some hints of ruby, a creamy mocha head with great retention and lacing.

S-Roasted malt with a rich undertone of tar and mocha. Very appealinjg.

T-A tinge of caramel with lots of earthy hops and some nicely understated bitterness.

M-Medium bodied, nicely rich, slightly bitter.

O-Really nice Black IPA. I had no idea this was 10%. It sure does not taste like it. Probably my favorite Rock Art beer ever.

HV (450 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz bomber. Pours a black/dark brown with a thin tan frothy head. Aroma is of citrus and piney hops. Maybe a hint of chocolate but the hop aroma dominates, and I'm not complaining. Taste is more of the mix of the pine and citrus hop flavors but a bit more chocolate this time. Some roasted malt and burnt coffee flavors. Bitter orange peel aftertaste. Heavy mouthfeel. This beer has less drinkability than most others I've had of this style but is still damn good. The 10%ABV is hidden well. Overall this is a very fine Black IPA and I will absolutely look for it again. (571 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into 13 oz tulip. Pours a pitch black, with a 1 inch sticky mocha head, glorious. Smell is pine, chocolate, toffee, coffee and a touch of citrus. Taste all that and it is very smooth for the abv. Body is really nice and plenty of life. Very nice brew. (258 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

22oz bomber poured into a Piraat tulip.

Pours a very dark black with a very thin dark brown head with a crisp hoppy nose that's a but malty and smoky it's nice.

Taste is burnt, bitter and really hoppy. It's tasty and hoppy, quite bitter bit also fruity and sweet. Really tasty and drinkable. (293 characters)

Black Moon IPA from Rock Art Brewery