Black Moon IPA - Rock Art Brewery

Black Moon IPABlack Moon IPA

Rock Art Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Black Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: AlexJ on 10-03-2010)
dave00100

07-22-2012 15:35:21 | More by ooftu
snowranger05

New Hampshire

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Delicious, a Lucious dark ale that satisfies the hophead in me. Bought by my fiancé on a trip to VT, I knew nothing about the brew and had no expectations. In fact, when it was poured a saw the deep rich brown/black, catching me off gaurs because I didn't even look at the label--I expected a standard IPA!

The hop character comes through strongly in both the aroma and flavor. Heavy on the citrus, much to my pleasure. According to the Coop flyer it's got Magnum, Columbus, Cascade, and Centennial hops.

malt isn't really detectable in the nose, but in the flavor it comes across with notes of chocolate and even dark maple syrup. The merging of malt and hop flavor is wonderful; never before have I been so tempted to chug a 10% brew.

They nailed the body, too. About what you would expect from a DIPA.

Overall this beer is excellent. I'm going to call my friends in Montpellier and have them pick up several more for the cellar:)

11-11-2010 23:13:03 | More by snowranger05
Photo of

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

11-25-2012 02:30:29 | More by
Mack

Quebec (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

03-06-2013 23:58:26 | More by Mack
wil19b85

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Bought this originally for a friend and after trading it decided I better go back and get one for myself before it was gone. Very smart decision on my part.

A - Very dark. No light shining through this one! Also showing off with a nice frothy 2 finger head. 15 minutes in and it is still holding a nice foamy layer.

S - It carries a very roasty smell. Dark chocolate, and coffee first come to mind.

T - Starts on a hoppy note. Finishes with a bitter side.

M - Initially it has a very viscus feel. The carbonation at first sip really helps play on the hoppy flavors in the beer. I noticed as that dissipated the bitter notes came through very nicely.

Overall I'd say this was a real treat. Some nights when I get home from slaving in the kitchen all day I really just need one beer before crashing in bed for the night. It also really helps when that beer is at a nice 10%. Now that might not necessarily be how my night went tonight but I'll keep this one in mind when it is. Assuming I can get more at the Hunger Mountain Coop in Montpelier, VT. Cheers.

02-19-2013 03:35:24 | More by wil19b85
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Acquired via trade from baconsausage so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a large dense foamy light brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a very thick on the glass.

S: The aroma is an excellent blend of floral hops, roasted malts, chocolate and citrus.

T: The taste starts out with a good burst of grassy hops bitterness followed by mildly sweet flavors of chocolate and citrus. The malt character is very hearty and provides a nice balance, which I feel is the most difficult trait to achieve in this style. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, strong and well-disguised kick, excellent representation of style, this is a very good beer to drink for a long time.

10-23-2011 03:37:55 | More by TheManiacalOne
Arbitrator

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Thanks Kristin!

A: Pours a dark brown body, appearing nearly opaque in the glass except for some edge translucence. The head is a creamy, light mocha cap that retains well and leaves beautiful, broken, big-bubbled film on top of the beer. Nice collar and lace. It actually reminds me of a well-poured nitro stout; just a great appearance.

S: Mmm. Dark chocolate and oranges. I used to feel that those flavors clash, but well-done black IPAs have convinced me otherwise. This is no exception; it has a masterful balance of citrus and dark malts, with secondary hop notes of pine and a slight herbal nose.

T: Chocolate-forward, with a touch of roast. When cold, it tastes like a hoppy stout, but as it warms and the pine flavors emerge, it captures that middle ground that I expect from a black IPA. A nice melange of chocolate, citrus, pine hops. A small presence of anise teases it toward the traditional stout side, but there's an herbal counterbalance that tugs it right back. It really straddles the fence nicely, this one.

M: Medium-full bodied, with a well-disguised alcohol content. Lots of flavor, a malty finish that leaves just the smallest warming presence on its way down. It has some lingering bitterness that would normally be a flaw, but it brings with it some malt to produce a dark chocolate effect.

D: I had no expectations from this beer, and I came away massively impressed. Recommended. It goes down with a surprising ease that belies its massive alcohol content and (damn it) bomber packaging. Why do 10% beers need to come in 22oz formats?

Anyway, sorry, Cascade region: you've been served.

10-28-2010 04:27:44 | More by Arbitrator
babbules

Connecticut

4.61/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a 22-oz bottle into a weisen glass. Beautifully dark with around a finger of cream-colored head. Great lacing! The smell is very hoppy with lots of pine. Great taste and mouthfeel that starts bitter and slightly sweet and finishes clean, leaving hints of pine on the tongue. Too bad this is a limited production, I'd definitely like to have this one many more times!

01-22-2013 13:42:29 | More by babbules
PeprSprYoFace

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

Got this in the Regional Growler BIF. Thanks baconsausage

Pours a deep black. Nice thick tan head like an oatmeal stout. Nice lacing.

Aroma is nice and hoppy. But with a nice caramel and roast. Smells great.

Taste is awesome. Not too IPA-ish. Was expecting something like night stalker but is almost like a smooth drinkin stout. Nice hop flavor though. Slight bitterness with the roastyness and caramel. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Great carb.

Man glad I got one of these to try. Awesome beer. Grab one if you can.

03-25-2011 01:57:40 | More by PeprSprYoFace
let8it8grow

12-30-2012 05:13:34 | More by let8it8grow
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Part of the hobo tasting at RJ Rockers last night, we went with some damn good DIPA's that I will be the first to admit knocked me for a bit of a loop after a long break. But got a love good beer, good company, and being surrounded by fermenters, still does not beat a chucky cheese. Poured into a pint glass and enjoyed on 02/17/2011.

The last of the tasting I had acquired this gem from Rock art and clocking in at 10% here we go. Dark black pour with a inch and a half of tan that leaps off the top of the beer. Settling down it coats the sides of the glass with a deep layer of lacing and a firm staying power. Hops are much more upfront here than in the previous two. Deep citrus comes through the air followed by a nice roasted malt, brown sugar, earthy and a touch of light peat. Follow through in the flavor was gorgeous with a sustained hop bite that melted away into a smooth sweet malt finish that had just enough left to dry the palate. 10% abv, where???

Overall the winner of the day for me, until I got home, but really very well done and probably my favorite thing I have had from Rock Art.

02-19-2011 02:10:46 | More by mikesgroove

11-25-2012 21:00:43 | More by MarkSmithVT
marcdalke

Connecticut

4.48/5  rDev +10.1%

They aren't kidding when they say "black". No light getting through this puppy.
S- roasty, floral notes
T- a lot going on. Complex. Roast, some chocolate, dark fruits, pine, sweet but not cloying or overdone, bitter in the finish. Every sip brings out something new. Where is the 10%? It's well hidden!
M- another poster described this as viscous...yeah, that's it. Good body and the lacing sticks around. The carbonation is spot on.
I only picked up one bottle of this on a recent trip to VT. Damn...hopefully I'll be back up there soon. I'm definitely seeking this one out again.

02-19-2013 22:19:40 | More by marcdalke
mdaschaf

Washington

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Had on tap at Farmhouse Tap and Grill. Review from notes 12/28.

A: Dark black with a two finger tan head. Good retention, slowly settled to a thin layer of foam. Nice lacing down the sides, not sheets, but a good amount left behind.

S: Hit right away with some nice floral hops, a little bit of pine. There is a grassy smell as well. This is followed up some roasted malts and chocolate.

T: Some very nice hops upfront, a nice combination of citrus and a little pine. It blends very nicely with the malty backbone as well as the chocolate and caramel that come through as well.

M/D: Medium bodied and very smooth. The alcohol is extremely well hidden. I was very happy to have had this beer, it tasted great right off the tap, I only wish I could get some more.

01-13-2011 03:13:52 | More by mdaschaf
aerozeppl

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

A reward for a trip across the border today.

A: It is black. I get it. A touch of cola colored when held up to the light. A half finger of brownish head with some impressive lacing.

S: I have been having quite a few examples of this style lately and I think this might be the best nose I have ever had for it. The black and the black and the IPA have never been more integrated in the nose for me. You get the hops which come across with a nice citrus not then the malt which has a touch of chocolate with only a hint of roast.

T: Just like the nose. I think the roast really can get in the way of this emerging style and it is just not there. A touch of chocolate combined with citrus nature of the hops is a real winner. The finish is nice with a touch of chocolate and a nice pleasant lingering hop taste.

M: Feels like a normal IPA. It was never overwhelming. Well carbonated.

D: This is one of the best examples of the style that I have had hands down. The more of these beers I have the more I realize that the roasted flavors really need to be cut back.

03-06-2011 02:01:49 | More by aerozeppl