Black Moon IPA - Rock Art Brewery

Black Moon IPABlack Moon IPA

Rock Art Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Black Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: AlexJ on 10-03-2010)

dave00100, Jan 01, 2012

patrick802, Jun 03, 2013

prisdefer, Apr 22, 2012

ooftu, Jul 22, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

Delicious, a Lucious dark ale that satisfies the hophead in me. Bought by my fiancé on a trip to VT, I knew nothing about the brew and had no expectations. In fact, when it was poured a saw the deep rich brown/black, catching me off gaurs because I didn't even look at the label--I expected a standard IPA!

The hop character comes through strongly in both the aroma and flavor. Heavy on the citrus, much to my pleasure. According to the Coop flyer it's got Magnum, Columbus, Cascade, and Centennial hops.

malt isn't really detectable in the nose, but in the flavor it comes across with notes of chocolate and even dark maple syrup. The merging of malt and hop flavor is wonderful; never before have I been so tempted to chug a 10% brew.

They nailed the body, too. About what you would expect from a DIPA.

Overall this beer is excellent. I'm going to call my friends in Montpellier and have them pick up several more for the cellar:)

snowranger05, Nov 11, 2010
Photo of
4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Nov 25, 2012

Mack, Mar 06, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

The best black IPA i've had. Consistently amazing, and my favorite from Rock Art.

yarnbomb, Oct 01, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bought this originally for a friend and after trading it decided I better go back and get one for myself before it was gone. Very smart decision on my part.

A - Very dark. No light shining through this one! Also showing off with a nice frothy 2 finger head. 15 minutes in and it is still holding a nice foamy layer.

S - It carries a very roasty smell. Dark chocolate, and coffee first come to mind.

T - Starts on a hoppy note. Finishes with a bitter side.

M - Initially it has a very viscus feel. The carbonation at first sip really helps play on the hoppy flavors in the beer. I noticed as that dissipated the bitter notes came through very nicely.

Overall I'd say this was a real treat. Some nights when I get home from slaving in the kitchen all day I really just need one beer before crashing in bed for the night. It also really helps when that beer is at a nice 10%. Now that might not necessarily be how my night went tonight but I'll keep this one in mind when it is. Assuming I can get more at the Hunger Mountain Coop in Montpelier, VT. Cheers.

wil19b85, Feb 19, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Acquired via trade from baconsausage so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a large dense foamy light brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a very thick on the glass.

S: The aroma is an excellent blend of floral hops, roasted malts, chocolate and citrus.

T: The taste starts out with a good burst of grassy hops bitterness followed by mildly sweet flavors of chocolate and citrus. The malt character is very hearty and provides a nice balance, which I feel is the most difficult trait to achieve in this style. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, strong and well-disguised kick, excellent representation of style, this is a very good beer to drink for a long time.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 23, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Thanks Kristin!

A: Pours a dark brown body, appearing nearly opaque in the glass except for some edge translucence. The head is a creamy, light mocha cap that retains well and leaves beautiful, broken, big-bubbled film on top of the beer. Nice collar and lace. It actually reminds me of a well-poured nitro stout; just a great appearance.

S: Mmm. Dark chocolate and oranges. I used to feel that those flavors clash, but well-done black IPAs have convinced me otherwise. This is no exception; it has a masterful balance of citrus and dark malts, with secondary hop notes of pine and a slight herbal nose.

T: Chocolate-forward, with a touch of roast. When cold, it tastes like a hoppy stout, but as it warms and the pine flavors emerge, it captures that middle ground that I expect from a black IPA. A nice melange of chocolate, citrus, pine hops. A small presence of anise teases it toward the traditional stout side, but there's an herbal counterbalance that tugs it right back. It really straddles the fence nicely, this one.

M: Medium-full bodied, with a well-disguised alcohol content. Lots of flavor, a malty finish that leaves just the smallest warming presence on its way down. It has some lingering bitterness that would normally be a flaw, but it brings with it some malt to produce a dark chocolate effect.

D: I had no expectations from this beer, and I came away massively impressed. Recommended. It goes down with a surprising ease that belies its massive alcohol content and (damn it) bomber packaging. Why do 10% beers need to come in 22oz formats?

Anyway, sorry, Cascade region: you've been served.

Arbitrator, Oct 28, 2010
4.61/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22-oz bottle into a weisen glass. Beautifully dark with around a finger of cream-colored head. Great lacing! The smell is very hoppy with lots of pine. Great taste and mouthfeel that starts bitter and slightly sweet and finishes clean, leaving hints of pine on the tongue. Too bad this is a limited production, I'd definitely like to have this one many more times!

babbules, Jan 22, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

lccrunchy, Aug 26, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in the Regional Growler BIF. Thanks baconsausage

Pours a deep black. Nice thick tan head like an oatmeal stout. Nice lacing.

Aroma is nice and hoppy. But with a nice caramel and roast. Smells great.

Taste is awesome. Not too IPA-ish. Was expecting something like night stalker but is almost like a smooth drinkin stout. Nice hop flavor though. Slight bitterness with the roastyness and caramel. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is smooth. Great carb.

Man glad I got one of these to try. Awesome beer. Grab one if you can.

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 25, 2011

let8it8grow, Dec 30, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Part of the hobo tasting at RJ Rockers last night, we went with some damn good DIPA's that I will be the first to admit knocked me for a bit of a loop after a long break. But got a love good beer, good company, and being surrounded by fermenters, still does not beat a chucky cheese. Poured into a pint glass and enjoyed on 02/17/2011.

The last of the tasting I had acquired this gem from Rock art and clocking in at 10% here we go. Dark black pour with a inch and a half of tan that leaps off the top of the beer. Settling down it coats the sides of the glass with a deep layer of lacing and a firm staying power. Hops are much more upfront here than in the previous two. Deep citrus comes through the air followed by a nice roasted malt, brown sugar, earthy and a touch of light peat. Follow through in the flavor was gorgeous with a sustained hop bite that melted away into a smooth sweet malt finish that had just enough left to dry the palate. 10% abv, where???

Overall the winner of the day for me, until I got home, but really very well done and probably my favorite thing I have had from Rock Art.

mikesgroove, Feb 19, 2011

BeerCosmonaut, Jan 05, 2013

JxExM, Nov 26, 2012

MarkSmithVT, Nov 25, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

They aren't kidding when they say "black". No light getting through this puppy.
S- roasty, floral notes
T- a lot going on. Complex. Roast, some chocolate, dark fruits, pine, sweet but not cloying or overdone, bitter in the finish. Every sip brings out something new. Where is the 10%? It's well hidden!
M- another poster described this as viscous...yeah, that's it. Good body and the lacing sticks around. The carbonation is spot on.
I only picked up one bottle of this on a recent trip to VT. Damn...hopefully I'll be back up there soon. I'm definitely seeking this one out again.

marcdalke, Feb 19, 2013