Vermont Maple Wheat Ale - Rock Art Brewery

good

Rock Art Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 02-28-2003)
3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

diamondlie, Saturday at 07:03 PM
3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

DelicateDelirium, Oct 13, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

BigRizz62, Sep 19, 2014

ZEB89, Sep 05, 2014

A Maple Wheat Ale should have some kind of taste. In the glass it has a nice brownish color with little head which quickly vanishes. The nose is a very faint maple and not much else. Taste...nothing but a slight sweetness that you would miss being maple if you didn't know what it was. Being born and raised not far from the brewery I do. The rest of the taste is not there. None during drinking, no after taste. Nothing but slightly fizzy. Rock Art normally produces fine ales but this is not one of them. I may have gotten an off batch. If I was back home I would take the nearly full bottle to the brewery myself and ask them what was going on.

Massive disappointment. You could drink this all day but with Miller Light half the price and with more taste why would you?

DiverJon, Aug 24, 2014
3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

benloho, Aug 23, 2014
4.11/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

maybe the most underrated beer I have seen here on BA. its just so so good, so maple, and if you don't like maple, why would you buy this beer in the first place? an amber wheat based heavily on good maple syrup, a real treat for a Vermont outsider. a clearing heady amber brew, copper really, and emitting notes of fresh maple sap running free, and a hefty wheat malt base without much hops at all. the flavor is all maple sugar up front, and I think the wheat malt base is a genius platform for it to launch from, it sparkles and sings real Vermont, without being sickening or too strong or sweet, its lasting goodness and nothing more or less. carbonation may be a little low, but again and again after each sip I am reminded how good the wheat is as a base for the maple character, and it comes through so well. one of the top two or three maple flavored beers I have had, I would love to see more takes on this, its just super well done overall. perfect balance of maple and actual beer flavor. top dog in the field here, best maple wheat I have seen, although it is admittedly very few...

StonedTrippin, Aug 14, 2014

my_knew_craft, Aug 06, 2014

prisdefer, Jul 19, 2014

bobv, Jul 10, 2014

Nathan_S25, Jul 09, 2014

jwps214, Jul 07, 2014

erialbill, Jun 30, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Split with Morgo

Honey golden brown with an insta-vanish head. Maple and brown sugar are there but the first thing to catch my nose is an intense fruity, floral bubble gum. Tastes similar with the bubble gum being the dominant flavor. Ample maple backup. Savory smoked wheat fade that I really like. Too sweet to finish an entire 22oz I'm glad I had help.

I don't often like maple beers because of the fruity flavors boiled maple can throw off but Rock Art was clever enough to harness that with the natural bubble gum of an American wheat. In my limited sampling one of Rock Arts best.

donkeyrunner, Jun 22, 2014

BeerForMuscle, May 14, 2014

patrick802, May 04, 2014
3.61/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Riedel tulip glass. Liquid is a hazy maple brown that produces a moderate-sized off-white head that fades to a film after a couple minutes. Almost no lace.

Smells like maple! Maple is the biggest note I get on the nose, followed by wheat and cloves. I really enjoy how this smells!

Taste follows the nose, with maybe a little less maple. Aftertaste is bigtime maple without being too sweet and cloying. I think I may have appreciated a bit more of an assertive flavor, but I don't think that's what they were really going for. Really well put-together.

Mouthfeel is a bit of a disappointment for me. Pretty thin, and with too much carbonation. Finish is kind of watery, and there's a weird pause after the swallow where I don't taste or feel anything before the maple comes back for the aftertaste. I think they were going for a smaller beer, so I feel bad criticizing it, but I think that the flavor really screams for a thicker body.

Overall, it's a super drinkable beer with some good flavors. You could share this with people who aren't that into beer and they would probably like it.

MasterfulIdiot, Apr 29, 2014

jbeervt, Apr 25, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

j0hnc2468, Apr 09, 2014
3.7/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours from the 650 ml. bottle with February (no year) notched out of the label. Sampled on April 4, 2014.

Its color is mainly medium amber with some reddish tones, slightly cloudy, with a modest cream colored head that lingers for a while but eventually fades away completely.

The aroma evolves. At first I get caramel malts, maple syrup, and wheat in that order. But after it warms the maple syrup starts to take over the nose.

light to medium body.

The maple flavor takes center stage in the taste with the caramel malts a close second and the wheat a distant third. But there is a low, dry bitterness finishing things off.

puboflyons, Apr 04, 2014