Vermont Maple Wheat Ale - Rock Art Brewery

good

Rock Art Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 02-28-2003)
Reviews by FrostBlast:
3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1pint 6oz bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Clear reddish orange with a slightly orange-off-white head that falls down quickly to barely more than a thin layer of bubbles. The looks make me expect lots of malty sugar.

SMELL : First nose is as expected (malty sugar) but with a clear maple smell to it as well. It seems well incorporated. Second nose releases the hops, which express themselves as a yeasty vegetal background. Third nose enhances the maple. Seems very well done.

TASTE : Well, much drier than I expected. The malt sugars are very, very well blended in with the maple flavours. Hops are very subtle, probably of a pilsner kind.

MOUTHFEEL : The wheat profile is very interesting, in here. Adds a very nice substance to the texture. Carbonation is pleasant.

OVERALL : A solid beer, but not something I'd over indulge. It can get a bit overwhelming, even if it is definitely well crafted. I say try it out, it's very much worth it.

3.61/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass. A rich golden amber ale with little sediment. It was an older bottle so didn't get much head from the pour. Average appearance. (3/5)

S - I was disappointed with the smell, based on the bottle I figured I would get a more maple on the nose. (2.5/5)

T - Very solid taste. I was quite happy with the medium body ale with a little hop and a rich maple note on the finish. Definitely what I was looking for in this beer. (4.25/5)

M - A standard finish beer with an average crisp. Smooth finish. I'd drink it again for sure. (3.5/5)

O - I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a quite maple beer, but definitely not an overwhelming maple taste. (3.5/5)

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours from the 650 ml. bottle with February (no year) notched out of the label. Sampled on April 4, 2014.

Its color is mainly medium amber with some reddish tones, slightly cloudy, with a modest cream colored head that lingers for a while but eventually fades away completely.

The aroma evolves. At first I get caramel malts, maple syrup, and wheat in that order. But after it warms the maple syrup starts to take over the nose.

light to medium body.

The maple flavor takes center stage in the taste with the caramel malts a close second and the wheat a distant third. But there is a low, dry bitterness finishing things off.

3.4/5  rDev -3.4%

3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is relatively clear amber yellow in color. It poured with a soapy white head that died down very quickly, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass and a small patch in the center. There are some hints of particles near the bottom of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of apple juice and maple syrup are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, except that the maple flavors taste more like maple candy but without any of the associated sweetness. No bitterness is present.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The maple flavors make this beer unique, but it tasted like it could have used more hops or a fuller body.

3.61/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Riedel tulip glass. Liquid is a hazy maple brown that produces a moderate-sized off-white head that fades to a film after a couple minutes. Almost no lace.

Smells like maple! Maple is the biggest note I get on the nose, followed by wheat and cloves. I really enjoy how this smells!

Taste follows the nose, with maybe a little less maple. Aftertaste is bigtime maple without being too sweet and cloying. I think I may have appreciated a bit more of an assertive flavor, but I don't think that's what they were really going for. Really well put-together.

Mouthfeel is a bit of a disappointment for me. Pretty thin, and with too much carbonation. Finish is kind of watery, and there's a weird pause after the swallow where I don't taste or feel anything before the maple comes back for the aftertaste. I think they were going for a smaller beer, so I feel bad criticizing it, but I think that the flavor really screams for a thicker body.

Overall, it's a super drinkable beer with some good flavors. You could share this with people who aren't that into beer and they would probably like it.

4.08/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Split with Morgo

Honey golden brown with an insta-vanish head. Maple and brown sugar are there but the first thing to catch my nose is an intense fruity, floral bubble gum. Tastes similar with the bubble gum being the dominant flavor. Ample maple backup. Savory smoked wheat fade that I really like. Too sweet to finish an entire 22oz I'm glad I had help.

I don't often like maple beers because of the fruity flavors boiled maple can throw off but Rock Art was clever enough to harness that with the natural bubble gum of an American wheat. In my limited sampling one of Rock Arts best.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

3.51/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden copper in color (similar but a little more orange than apple cider) with minimal amounts of visible carbonation, some golden orange highlights, and a significant amount of black sediment in the bottom of the glass.. The beer has a half finger tall sudsy light beige head that quickly reduces to a couple of very small patch of very thin film and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Upfront there are some light to moderate amount of caramel malts and some maple, though not overly sweet maple. There are lighter amounts of light fruits (apple) and just a touch of something akin to cider. Hints of clove and wheat.

T: Upfront there is a moderate amount of wheat with some notes of clove and pepper spiciness. After that the maple flavors come through, definitely maple though pleasantly not too sweet. There is a moderate amount of bitterness towards the finish which does not linger for too long.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Overall, this is a pretty interesting beer and I enjoy the maple additions to it - I also like that the maple does not make the beer overly sweet. Definitely an interesting example of a maple beer and one I'm glad that I found...even when I wasn't looking for it and bought it on a whim.

3.43/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a lighter fizzy head that pretends to reach 1 finger but pretty much instantly disappears with no trace at all that it even existed except my fading memory making it look like a flat cider, with a mostly clear slight chill hazed reddish orange beer.

Nose brings plenty of maple, maple candy mostly with just a bit of syrup, light caramel and coppery malts, but that's pretty much it.

Taste brings plenty of maple again, like I stuffed my mouth full of maple candy, but it remains fairly dry. the maple brings just a hint of syrup and sweetness but overall mostly just full flavor and not the residue. If it wasn't for the slightest hint of caramel malts I would have thought this was a maple mead. As it warms I start to get hints of what could be wheat flavors, but again barely. Finish gives a slight booze kick with some very light bitterness, and fairly dry with a hint of stickiness, and plenty of lingering maple.

Mouth is med bodied, very slightly syrupy, very little carbonation.

Overall not bad, I'm usually not a fan of maple beers, but this one fared pretty well with the nice maple candy flavor and not super sweet or syrupy. The lack of carbonation doesn't help though, and the lack of overall malts with just faint hints of malt and wheat gives it a bit of a kick in the nuts as well. So it's not a bad beer, but it doesn't do much either.

3.35/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a two finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Hazy amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Light maple syrup nose and flavor is mellow to sweet maple syrup without much wheat. It is a light summer ale. $5.99 for a 22oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

Vermont Maple Wheat Ale from Rock Art Brewery