Midnight Madness Smoked Porter - Rock Art Brewery

Rock Art Brewery visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

Beer added by: scottum on 03-24-2003

"Grab your darts and let's go!" This is a dark ruby red porter with a medium body. A slight hint of smoke is detected from a small portion of grains used that are smoked with beechwood. Pale, chocolate, black and crystal grains are also used with Norther Brewer and East Kent Golding hops.
1.3/5  rDev -61.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - A dull, dark color that doesn't seem very thick. It looks like you can almost see through it. Head is pretty pathetic for a "smoked porter."

S - This just smells like smoke. Very little chocolate aroma here. Surprisingly unappealing.

T - Wow. Awful. Tastes like ash and brown sugar. Awful. Cheap. Gross.

M - Light to medium bodied and comes apart at the first possible instance it could. Wow. This is headed toward the worst beer I've ever ingested.

D - This is one of the five worst beers I've ever tasted out of over 400. This is a pathetic offering, I can't believe that it's bottled and offered in a store that claims to sell craft beer. Embarrassing. This beer has nothing, and shame on this brewery for bottling this piece of shit and trying to make money off it. TRY MAKING GOOD BEER, YOU CHEAP FUCKS! This beer is pathetic and irresponsible enough that I will NEVER ever try another beer from this brewery. Like, this is baddd. Woah. Try trying.

1.75/5  rDev -48.7%

2.16/5  rDev -36.7%

Wow, this is disappointing I will say! This tastes like stinky dog mixed with bad ham... Only beer I have not liked from there, and rarely beer in general. I would not buy this again, and I can't say that about a lot of beers that I have sampled in my life...

2.18/5  rDev -36.1%

Appearance: One of those beers that pours all foam - after a while, the liquid starts to appear at the base of the pint glass and a mahogany color it is, surprisingly light for a porter; lots of lace and one of the noisiest beers I have encountered with plenty of snap, crackle and pop

Smell: Picking up very little aroma, just a bit of chocolate malt

Taste: Brown bread, up front, and then the smoke hits with plenty of charred wood and ashen flavors; if there were other flavors in this beer, the smoke would add complexity, but in and of itself it just tastes ashen

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with surprisingly low carbonation for all the foam the beer produced

Drinkability: Another disappointing experience from Rock Art, sad to say

2.25/5  rDev -34%

2.25/5  rDev -34%

2.28/5  rDev -33.1%

I tried a Growler from a local beverage mart... I love the Double Smoked Porter (part of their Xtreme offerings), so I thought the Midnight Madness smoked porter would follow along. I will say that I am disappointed. While the nose was there, nice smoky note, what followed was, er, weak, at best. The dark color belied the thin, spare mouth feel. This porter seems more like a porter mixed with a pale ale, rather than a stout mixed with a bitter, like a true Porter should be.
I have had most of the Rock Art offerings, and this is atypical of their other brews, which are really good.

2.36/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Served cold.

A-dark garnet body, clear; oatmeal/porridge head

S-light smoked smell, some cocoa

T-chocolate, some smoke, somewhat ashy

M-medium to thin

D-Too thin tasting for the style. Little assertiveness as far as the flavor profile is concerned. Will likely pass on this.

2.47/5  rDev -27.6%

Look - Sleek bottle and label. Pours a yellow-brown and settles dark almost syrup dark in the glass. Looks like Coca Cola. Very fizzy with a decent head. Overall not that attractive.

Smell - Smells of alcohol and burnt wood. This is usually the case for a smoked porter, but here they don't do it quite right.

Taste - Thick and hearty, tastes of wood and smoke. Again usually the case for this type of beer, but here there's something missing.

Mouthfeel - Nothing special, leaves a wood-like, campfire taste in your mouth.

Drinkability - Not too drinkable all around. It's below average here for it's class.

Overall I was not that impressed with this beer and I wouldn't buy it again nor recommend it to a friend.

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

2.6/5  rDev -23.8%

A-dark chestnut with a small layer of creamy head that leaves a ring around the top.

S-light roasted malt, tobacco, a bit of coffee.

T-taste is a little thing all around. I am getting some smoke and a little bit of malt but not much else.

M-thin body, light carbonation, leaves a smoky mouthfeel.

Overall I am not going to be getting this beer again. The smell started out promising but things rapidly declined. Thin body, thin taste, just really not good.

2.64/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a solid dark brown with faint ruby highlights at the edges and a decent white head that quickly dissipates to a cap on top. Smells of smoked ham and bacon mostly, with hints of chocolate at the edges. I honestly have trouble fining much else underneath the smokiness of the aroma here. The flavor is a little better, but not much. Smoked ham with hints of charcoal and ash as well as some chocolate and earthy hops. The smoke flavor here is sharp and acrid and overpowers everything else in this brew. Medium body with a light level of carbonation and a bitter smokey mouthfeel. I'm not a big fan of this one in fact I will avoid this if at all possible.

2.65/5  rDev -22.3%

A rich mahogany color with very little to no head. I usually like my porters to be a bit darker in color, especially one named Midnight Madness. There was a slight smokey aroma, which I would expect more in this category, but it was from a bottle. The taste had more malt flavors to start and finished with a smokey aftertaste. The mouthfeel was a little thin. If you like smoked beers this may be worth a try, but it wasn't my style of beer.

2.86/5  rDev -16.1%

Off the cask at American Flatbread (on 03/04/09) this beer was a deep, garnet color. The head was cream-colored, one-finger and displayed retention as a thin cap. The lacing was weak. The aroma was of roasted malt, coffee, smoke and hints of chocolate. The flavors were quite washed out for a porter; starting nutty I tasted hints of dark fruit, smoke and toasted malt. But there was no depth and I kept thinking something must have been wrong with it, which was only made worse by the casking process. Rock Art should not be producing a beer this weak. The mouthfeel was watery, the body medium and the carbonation soft.

2.87/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bottle, into a glass.

It's got a great deep ruby appearance, akin to the remains of my morning coffee pot contents after a long day of working in the coal mine. Light lacing, and the head doesn't last long, so not much to write home about there. But that color, man... the color...

The smell is the best/worst thing about this beer, depending on how you feel about rauchbiers. Yeah, yeah, I know, I saw the style on the top of the page: it says American Porter, but let's call it what it is. The nose picks up burn barrel ash, but there's also dark chocolate, coffee, and some dirty nuttiness in there... hehe... dirty nuts. I personally like the smell, but I also have to be in the mood for it. If you don't like smoke, or are trying to quit smoking, or just plain old hate stuff that USED to be on fire, then this scent is not for you my friend.

Not gonna lie, my first sip was "WHOA WHAT WAS THAT?" Very bitter up front, with the smoke a tad oppressive. Perhaps I haven't had a smoke beer in too long, but I found it to be very prominent. After the smoke (comes the fire? no...) comes the ash. Remember that one time in college you licked an ashtray because your buddy Jeff dared you to, and that hot girl from your Sports Ethics class was watching? Yeah, that's a good place to start. I found that it mellowed out, enjoyably so, after it warmed. It also has a left-over coffee taste, as well as some dark cherry and chocolate flavors. I wish I had one of those Whitman's Samplers around here...

The mouthfeel is light, and the carbonation bored me to tears. But who really drinks a beer for mouthfeel anyway?

Would I get this again? Maybe after 20 moon cycles. Or if stumble upon a carton of beef jerky that errantly fell off of a Slim Jim truck (RIP Macho Man). Smoked beef might convince me to buy another one of these, simply so I could try a Beef Jerky-tini with this beer.

2.89/5  rDev -15.2%

Thanks to Adam for this one. 12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams sensory glass.

Pours a .5 finger coarse, light brown head with no retention. Beer is a clear, dark brown amber. No lace. Below average.

Nose is smoke, roasted malt, liquorice, and logan. Some dried date too. Moderately aromatic. Average.

Opens sweet and roasty. Some notes of liquorice, smoked malt, peat, dried date sweetness, and stale coffee beans. Finishes smoke and roast. A bit of ash in the aftertaste. Decent.

Light bodied with ample carbonation. Prickly in the mouth and abrasive going down. Messy finish with a slightly lingering aftertaste. I could use a little less bubbles.

Some odd flavors swirling around in this one. Its not bad but not one I'd revisit again.

2.89/5  rDev -15.2%

12 oz. bottle.

Dark garnet to maple syrup amber body. Small, bubbly, sandy-beige head. Not much lacing. Plenty of smoke on the nose. Campfiery, with some meatiness. Light roasted malt notes underneath, along with a little peat and chocolate. So far so smoky good.

Wet cardboard quickly gives way to cindery, ashy, smokiness. Slight meatiness as well. Very light roasted malt underneath. Not much "porter" here. The smokiness is nice and stays throughout, but there is not much else. Some coffee-ish bitterness in the finish. Faint notes of chocolate. Body is also thin, much too thin for the style. Maybe a bit too carbonated too. Disappointing, but finishable.

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%

A - Surprisingly light colored for midnight. A dark walnut color with ruby highlights. An inch of tan head that disappeared quickly leaving some spotty lacing

S - Chocolate, caramel malt take control,campfire smoke aroma that may be there

T - The smokey flavor detracts from the other flavors. Leaves a "day after camping" taste in my mouth.

M - Dry, crisp carbonation.

D - Very drinkable but if I want a Smoked Porter I'm not drinking this one

I tend to think this might have gotten a better review from me if it were sold as an English Brown. Appearance to Taste I'm really enjoying this Brown Ale but as a smoked porter I think its below par

Midnight Madness Smoked Porter from Rock Art Brewery