Hopfenhammer German IPA - Einhorn Beer Company

1 Rating

pDev: 0%
Einhorn Beer Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DijonKetchup on 09-21-2011)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
DijonKetchup

4.25/5  rDev 0%

I was back at my alma mater and stopped into my favorite SLO watering hole, Creekside Brewing. I saw that Einhorn has a new beer, calling it a German IPA. The guy behind the bar told me that this was brewed with rye and 100% German malts, so I was looking forward to this very much. Needless to say, I was very intriqued. On to the beer...

Poured a clear copper, almost reddish-brown and had a frothy and persistant white head. Smell is of earthy hops, clean as a whistle. Could have used a bit more hop aroma, maybe even a bit more hop variety is needed, but pleasant nonetheless. Up front this beer has a nice sweetness, maybe even a tad too much as it borders on cloying, but great bitter level on the back pallate evens it out. Definately not an "extreme beer", but rather a so very quaffable brew, I am really enjoying this. I do not get so much rye, but to be quite honest, that doesn't bother me. Mouthfeel is nothing short of excellent, as I prefer my IPAs full-bodied and not too crisp. The head on the beer remains during the entire glass, the flavors evolve as it warms.

Overall: I had never even heard of a German IPA before, but I am glad that I tried this beer. In fact I had three. There is something unmistakeably good about this beer that I can't quite put my finger on. With a little more aroma, this is a home run.

09-21-2011 16:16:43 | More by DijonKetchup
Hopfenhammer German IPA from Einhorn Beer Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.