Microbrew Invitational

Awaiting 10 Reviews

4 Pines Brewing Company
Australia | website

Style: Kristalweizen

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Spring

Added by laituegonflable on 10-09-2011

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 2
3.45/5  rDev n/a

Pours a pale champagney colour with nice trail of bead. Head is a healthy white, snowy and sunk to a thin film, but retains lovely lacing. Looks good.

Smell is sweet and grainy, with nice banana fruit esters coming through and a hint of spice cookies. Spice is nutmeg and a hint of smoked paprika that turns it almost meaty at times. Very nice for a Kristalweizen, it's full of aroma.

Taste is bananas from the get-go. Fruity with a slight tang, but a lot of sweetness - vanilla, light caramel and maybe a slight coconut oil note as well. Some cereal grain on the back adds a touch of oatmeal and a very slight citric note. Touch of bubblegum is created late-mid by the clash of different esters. Too sweet, really, and doesn't quite go anywhere.

Bit of a tingly texture is not unpleasant. Body is not quite all there, but OK. I forgive it.

One of the better Kristalweizens I've had, but that doesn't say much. I usually think of this as a pointless style because the end result is just a watered-down hef; in this case it works quite well. Annoyingly, 4 Pines didn't have the hefeweizen on tap during my visit as I would have liked to do a side-by-side comparison. All I can say is I look forward to it, since I'm quite impressed by this as a KW.

4 Pines Kristalweizen from 4 Pines Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.