Godfather - Devans Modern Breweries Ltd.

GodfatherGodfather

Devans Modern Breweries Ltd. visit their website
India

American Adjunct Lager |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: cudmud on 01-02-2011)
Reviews by AmitC:
2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

3.38/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into a short pilsner glass at Sizzling India Restaurant in Fishers, IN.
Unable to locate bottled-on date

Aroma: Cereal grains with a touch of honey. No striking hop aroma.

Appearance: One finger of head disappeared quickly. (Bubbles stuck to side of glass, indicating an issue for which the brewer's not responsible.). Great clarity to the golden body with a tinge of amber. Very minimal lacing, which again is probably not the brewer's fault.

Flavor: Cereal grain sweetness accompanied by a noticeable smokiness. The flavor is on the cusp of phenolic band-aid, but not quite. This leads me to believe the smoky note comes from fermentation, and was not an original quality of the malt. Nonetheless, I admittedly enjoyed the unusual flavor of the beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-high carbonation. The 7.5% ABV made the body of the beer noticeably fuller than a typical AAL. Not bad.

Overall: I was glad to try an Indian beer brand I'd never had before (at other restaurants the usual suspects are Kingfisher or Taj Mahal). The unique flavor of the beer probably pushes it out of the style guidelines, for which I tried to account in my score, but I enjoyed it. Not sure how quickly I'd tire of the flavor during the course of a night, but I would certainly order Godfather again.

(Edit: I did not perceive a metallic aroma or flavor in my sample, which others mention in their reviews. I normally pick up metallic notes pretty quickly, so there might be some inconsistency between batches and/or handling.)

3.38/5  rDev +11.9%

Best before 6/3/2011

Communist-era Soviet Union label, red tones with a single star in the center, an image of an old bearded fellow that could be Karl Marx's stunt double.

Pours into a stange glass with audible crackling foam, bone white, with a straw gold body. Sharp clarity, visible carbonation. Very tiny suspended micro-sediment. Second pour actually produced some nice lacing.

Faint aroma, which is what you want in an import adjunct lager. Some light breadiness and pretzel dough, vague apple from the yeast.

Light bodied with medium carbonation that eventually peters out. Crackers and bready malt, some light bitterness in a bigger quaff. Finishes slightly dry but there is a bit of sweetness to it. Alcohol isn't too perceptible, some hints as it warms, but not much. Overall a bit bland, but thankfully crisp and dry.

2.9/5  rDev -4%

I found this at an Indian restaurant in St. Charles, IL, and the next day I saw this beer at the St. Charles Binny's.

Appearance: One finger of long lasting head, clear straw color, and good lace. Appearance is the best attribute of this brew.

Smell: A slight hint of citrus, grass, and malt.

Taste: Mostly bitter and mettallic. By long searching, I was able to detect some secondary hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: Thin with burning carbonation.

Drinkability: Not a very good example of this style. Maybe I had a stale example, but I don't think I'll give it a second try.

2.83/5  rDev -6.3%

I got this beer from my friend, who was in Delhi

A - clear gold, clean, great head on premium international lager
S - milky malt smell and it also smells like coffee, which is weird, since lager shouldn't taste like that
T - sweet, little bitter coffee body, empty end.
M - medium to low carbonation with medium body
D - kind of drinkable when you accommodate to the coffee taste and smell

What is really weird about this beer is the coffee smell and coffee taste. Not designed for a lager.

3.8/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Up to this point, this is the best looking AAL I've come across. Clear straw, one and a half finger white hhead retains at half a finger, good webs of lacing.
S- Faint metallic aroma, sweet grain, slight citrus.
T- Starts grainy, somewhat crackery, pretty sweet, finishes with a grassy, metallic, and an alcohol warmth in finish.
M- Initially prickly carbonation kind of peters out in the mouth. A bit more presence than most adjunct lagers.
D- I, admittedly, did not have high expectations for this one. Obviously, at this price point (~$4 a 650 ml), it isn't economically feasible as a regular purchase for a American Adjunct Lager, but this exceeded expectations and maybe one of the better in the style I've come across.

2.93/5  rDev -3%

Bought this at my local liquor store for fairly cheap and decided to give it a try.

Appearance: The color was that of thin straw with an eggwhite head that was about an inch but receded rapidly.

Smell: Mostly grass and orange with a bit of iron. Beneath that was a very subtle sweet malt aroma.

Taste: My first impression was that the metallic smell also appeared in the taste. While not offensive, it is not exactly a quality that I would want. After that initial shock is a bit of grainy sweetness that lingers until some (very subtle) floral hops dry the beer.

Mouthfeel: Fairly carbonated. Adjunct thinness. Disappointing.

Drinkability: Very! This is an approachable adjunct beer that would be very sessionable on a hot summer day. This is not ideal but I could easily drink these all day. Would I? Probably not.

Do yourself a favor and just buy a Miller Lite. I bought one and couldn't even finish it.

3.03/5  rDev +0.3%

Color is amber, with a darker shade. Seems like it would be a light drink, but surprisingly strong in alcohol taste. Pours out bubbly, a little frothy. Taste goes beyond a light lager, definitely has a kick to it. Strange aftertaste though. Can't say I would have this again, but it certainly wasn't bad compared to the other Asian lagers I've had.

1.88/5  rDev -37.7%

I know I was tempting fate doing this, but I had to let it warm a bit out of the fridge. It poured with an off white fizzy head that quickly disappeared and no lace. Color is a slightly hazy straw yellow amber with lots of tiny bubble trails. Aroma is beery, mineral, funk, wet grain. Flavor is similar but has a dominant cloying sweetness that I find offensive. Body is ok but the carbonation is harsh and, instead of helping to cut the sweetness, somehow clashes with it. Finish is like flavor. Not very good beer.

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

Godfather from Devans Modern Breweries Ltd.