Rat Tail Ale - Cellar Rats Brewery

Rat Tail AleRat Tail Ale

Cellar Rats Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: adamette on 08-25-2008)
2.75/5  rDev -5.5%

3.25/5  rDev +11.7%

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%

2.4/5  rDev -17.5%

A: bronze and way too f'ing carbonated. Looked good for two seconds and then overwhelmed the glass.

S: Fair and a little bit pungent. Something different

T: Not too great kinda stale and fishy.

M: Fine if it wasn't so overcarbonated

O: I think this is a bad bottle, or i hope it is. I poured slowly from the bottle to a glass and there was far too much head. Even drinking from the bottle (while i waited for the head to dissipate) proved a challenge. Either the brewers grossly overcarbonated or american ale is not a style i understand.

EDIT: after reading other reviews it seems this beers most potent flaw is the blatant overcarbonation. What might be acceptable or desirable is a pain in the lower back and unfit for the market. I think a simple change in the carbonation process would greatly improve the chance of this brewer infiltrating more markets.

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

P: Into a pint glass from a 12 oz. Pretty good pour.

A: Medium amber, hints of orange and red. Big ol' head on this guy, and it stays for quite some time.

S: Extra floral here, To be honest, I'm a little confounded. My nose is going nuts.

T: Straight IBUs. This is not for the faint of heart, but I like it. Sort of what I was in the mood for.

M: medium thickness. Goes down well and lingers.

O: Definitely not for those who don't like bitterness. Not bad, though.

3.95/5  rDev +35.7%

Poured a medium light brown with hints of orange, really nice color, very cloudy. Smell is warm and inviting, roasted malt, maybe light raisin, granny smith apple...present, but not over powering.
Darker, more malt and less hop than other pale ale offerings I have tried. Some mild bitterness at end which tells me hop presence, but not over powering. Pleasant and complimenting. Smooth feel in mouth, not a lot of depth, but very good none the less...
I had tried the Piper's IPA the night before from the brewery, and really did not like it at all, so was concerned prior to trying this brew, But must say, while not typical of this style, this is good. Really good. Will enjoy another here in a moment...

1.88/5  rDev -35.4%

Poured this slowly into a pint glass. Incredibly foamy and carbonated. Overall not a bad color but if they were going for an apa then they added way too much malt. Color for an apa i feel should be more golden than the hazy brown I see.
The smell of the beer is more of sweet raisins and green apples. That isn't what i'd expect of an apa either.
After trying to tell myself that this is an apa and disregarding my nose, i sipped and realized this is def not an apa. It is more a malty mess with some drying noble hops perhaps to finish.
I suppose mouthfeel was ok. Too bad the rest of the beer wasn't. Won't be having another.

3.95/5  rDev +35.7%

I bought a single bottle of this to try. What I tasted was very good, unfortunately, I only got about 3 ounces out of a 12 ounce bottle. This beer continually foamed out of the bottle as soon as it was opened. When I tried to pour it into a pint glass, it foamed so badly there was only a few ounces of beer to enjoy. The little I had was good, I just wish I could have enjoyed the full bottle.

2.1/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Expected much more from this rather expensive ale. But, why should I? there all getting to be around the same price.

Bitter and way to carbonated for me.

Nothing special. I expect alot more for a PA.

I drank one and probably won't ever have another. Not that its "that" bad, but there are many others I would chose first.

2.6/5  rDev -10.7%

The appearance of this brew was a deception. I first had it pored out of a bottle by the distributor's rep. It looked and smelled pleasant. Once it passed my lips, it became a giant mess. It was hoppy (I enjoy hops), but then other flavors started taking over, making this muddled, dirty taste, that made me hurry up and chug this like it was an american p*** lager. I decided to give it a second shot a week later on tap. It was even worse on tap, to where i couldn't finish the pint. Maybe it's the styling that i'm not a fan of (did not enjoy Green Flash's west coast IPA either), maybe it's this particular brew from Cellar Rats. I'm willing to give it another shot out of a bottle, but I'm expecting the same results.

Rat Tail Ale from Cellar Rats Brewery