Black Rat Imperial Stout - Cellar Rats Brewery

Black Rat Imperial StoutBlack Rat Imperial Stout

Cellar Rats Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: adamette on 12-30-2009)

diehl07, Yesterday at 02:03 PM

spycow, Sep 28, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

bonez05404, Sep 19, 2014

JT99125, Aug 07, 2014

Pearlstreetbrewingco, Aug 02, 2014

ChrisL24481, Jul 15, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

No bottling date, but it's a Russian Imperial, so no loss for me. My dad picked up a four pack of this on a whim while we were in Cleveland last week. I know this site and probably the brewery consider it a milk stout, but I don't think it's like one at all.

Appearance: Pours black with some ruby tinges to it. Half a finger of a light tan head on it. Little lacing.

Smell: More roastiness than anything. Not really getting any dark fruits or chocolate, and only a little coffee. Smells like an average Russian Imperial.

Taste/feel: But the taste is a different story... yep, a big ol' Imperial Stout. First thing I notice is the feel, and I'm impressed. Full body with a slight prickly carbonation working itself through. Very nice. For the taste, it's a bit interesting. Deep roastiness like I'd expect, but then there's a lingering roasty nuttiness on my tongue on the finish that I really enjoy. Despite the ABV and style, I don't get the normally to-be-expected dark fruit, or, to a lesser extent, soy sauce kinda flavors in this beer. It's not huge on depth of flavor, but it's really enjoyable, too drinkable for the style (ABV can't be tasted or felt), and a beer I'd recommend.

Dark roasted malts, char, and roasted cashews are the dominant flavors I pick up. Maybe some coffee and chocolate in the background, but it doesn't have the depth many of the style have. At the same time, it also (dangerously) lacks the warmth or alcohol flavor many do as well. Interesting RIS, and an unexpectedly enjoyable one as well. I was teetering between a 3.75 and 4 overall rating, but went up just because it's coming from a brewery I hadn't ever heard of.

SNAP EDIT: I'm drinking my last bottle of this beer, and I've decided that this beer is actually a bit of a letdown. I'm bringing the taste and overall rating down from 4's to 3.5's, because this beer is actually quite a lot sweeter than I even remember it being. Sweet, sweet, sweet and almost like a completely different beer for some reason. Still has that great roast aftertaste, but it's like there was half a cup of sugar poured into this bottle. Not sure why it's tasting so different, but man this is a letdown.

Alextricity, Jun 29, 2014

mdhobbs, Nov 11, 2013

Mark5252, Oct 08, 2013
3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pours out head, all head, nothing but head, had to pour this in SIX tries. After the stupid amount of foamy tan head settled down you're left with a ruby black beer.
S - Aroma is very good, lots of chocolate, a little coffee, big sweet roasted malt, a little alcohol at the end.
T - Tastes of sweet dark dried fruit, cherries, apricot, toasted caramel, dark chocolate. Definitely boozy. Its very fizzy from over-carbonation .
M - Thick, sticky, boozy.
O - I'm pissed at how much time i had to wait to drink this beer from over-carbonation. I liked the aroma, but the taste was too much sweet booze.

Omnium, Sep 29, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Continuing to clean out the back of the fridge, we find this fine-looking extra from fiver29. A new brewery for me. 12 oz. bottle with, yes, rat-themed artwork. Well. I guess all the better ideas were taken.

The pour is black & the carbonation is enthusiastic. Nose is very milkweed with plenty of coffee/roast. Pretty routine.

Black Rat Imperial Stout hits the bulls-eye of the milk stout style. Roast, malts, lactose, touch of chocolate, creamy, easy to sip.

Absolutely nothing distinguishing about the beer. Good representation of the style, pretty good beer, but nothing to separate it from the pack.

maximum12, Sep 27, 2013