Rampage IPA - Cellar Rats Brewery

No picture uploaded.
good

Cellar Rats Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

(Beer added by: adamette on 08-20-2010)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.9/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Beer #10 8/9/13

They call it Rat Rampage at the Toledo festival; Rampage, Rat Rampage, whatever.

On the darker end for the style, this beer is sort of an amber leaning toward orange with a little haziness in the body. The pale orange-tinted head sits pretty well, about half a finger most of the way, with more than a modicum of lacing.
A big hit of pine comes out on the nose. The nice thing about a small, young brewery is that they can tweak their recipes more freely, and I think they've developed this one nicely. It's well-balanced with a bit of caramel malts giving enough sweetness to take the edge off.
Pine and sweetness balance well in the flavor. If anyone got a harshness to the bitterness before, some may think they've gone too far the other way now. I think it works well.
This beer has a thick feel in a body verging on full, a nice body actually, and very creamy the whole way through. It's robust and a bit woody underneath, which is great for balancing it out with a little dryness.

Brenden, Aug 12, 2013

Tyrawlings, Feb 16, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

mater, Nov 17, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +15%

Pours a light copper color with a bit of an opaqueness, maybe some slight suspended yeast hanging out in the bottle. A smaller head than I expected, but great retention.
Smell is amazing. Very nice fresh hop smell. All of the citrus, grapefruit smells that I love in an IPA.
Taste is not as good as the smell, but very nice. Very strong hop taste, maybe a little too strong for me, but I am not a huge hophead. Good tastes, but not much of a balance.
Nice mouthfeel. Thin body, but goes down very smooth.
Drinkability is nice. I would recommend this beer to the hopheads of the world. Not one of the more balanced beers, but either are dogfishhead ipas and a lot of people love those. If you are a fan of Dogfish, give this one a shot instead.

BDIMike, Apr 22, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +15%

We almost finished this growler before we realized that the brewer was from Madison, Ohio. The first home I owned was in madison, in 1980. I want to be more lenient, but a review is a review. It's really more of a pale ale with a little extra - a mild IPA. Still, very drinkable and generally it is tasty.

It is hoppy, and bitter, and at the same time smooth, like a pale.

It seems to not have enough extra carbination to make it to the end of the growler, but the first glasses had killer head - very nice.

I will seek out Cellar Rats in the future.

schoolboy, Jun 11, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

Savage, Jul 11, 2013

OB1, Jun 19, 2013

spikechiquet, Mar 01, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

thehappybelgian, Jun 08, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

Review from notes taken about 6 hours ago at the brewery. Poured into a standard 16 oz. pint glass from the tap at a cost of $5. IBU's listed on the chalk board above the bar states 73 IBU's. There was not the usual "mini story" behind this beer as there is so many times for other Cellar Rats beers.

A A very robust, creamy and very light brown head with good lacing over an attractive and interesting hazy orange brown body that lets light through but is rather opaque. Good look. 4.0

S Nice, strong hop presence with some sweet malt almost totally eclipsed by the hops bitterness. This is appropriate to the style of course and I am starting to think that it might be considered an Imperial/Double IPA. This has the smell of a big, bold IPA if it is not indeed an IIPA. 4.0

T Wow! Bitter hop juice is highly concentrated here! I suppose hop heads might like this but it is far to bitter for me. Reminds me of the unwelcomed, over the top bitterness of SN Celebration Ale or possibly Great Lakes Nosferatu. I can still taste the repulsive bitterness of those beers. Possibly buried deep under the hops is some malt sweetness but really it is buried deep beneath a whole lot of hops juice bitterness. This, in my opinion, is an unbalanced IPA. 2.0

M Very harsh feel in this huge beer. The feel (along with the taste) really drove down the drinkability. 2.0

D I struggled to finish this beer due to the harsh bitterness. 2.0

Notes: Unfortunately I cannot recommend this beer since it is so darn harsh! I will stick to my Cellar Rats Field Rat Wheat which I purchased in a growler during my visit today.

adamette, Aug 20, 2010