The Piper's IPA - Cellar Rats Brewery

The Piper's IPAThe Piper's IPA

Cellar Rats Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

(Beer added by: BB1313 on 03-11-2012)
4.28/5  rDev +32.1%

To me, a former resident of the small town of Madison, Ohio where this is made, Cellar Rats beer is better than the wine from the parent winery (which has been around a long, long time). I've had several on tap, I think including this one, and a few in bottles too. This must be the first time I've had this bottled because I would remember it.

This is a dark and malty AIPA. That's a little out of the ordinary, but it definitely works well. The "balanced" the flavors nicely on this. I like it a lot. It's slightly creamy - not at all bitey. I will seek this out again. It may be somewhat mis-classified, but it is a great tasting brew.

There is no indication anywhere on the packaging, but this tastes extremely fresh. They seem to be getting pretty good distribution - this is available not just at fine beverage stores, it's in the grocery stores too. Another nice one, Debonne.

4.25/5  rDev +31.2%

3.78/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a cloudy dark amber color with a dark orange hue when held to the light. Slightly tan head is well over an inch thick and does not want to seem to want to settle down! I actually resorted to sucking foam off the top of the head that was rising taller than my glass just to get the head down to a manageable size so I could pout the remainder of the beer out of the bottle into the glass. I very rarely do this, I just wait for the beer's head to settle down of its own accord, but heads on the beers I drink aren't usually ever this massive to begin with. So even after my efforts I'm still left with a good 1 inch head of thick foam that doesn't seem anxious to settle down anytime soon, finally settling to a good 1/3 inch after a few more sips.. Tons of lacing on the inside of the glass. Aromas of toasty caramel malts with some piney and citrusy hops. The taste pretty much follows suit, a nice toasty caramel sweetness upfront followed by a somewhat subtle pine and citrus hop flavors. Seems a bit lacking in the hop bitterness I am used to in an American IPA. Has a smooth, creamy, frothy medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in the way a well crafted beer such as this ought to be. Not a bad beer by any means, but there is certainly some room for improvement with the flavor profile.

Eric

3.68/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle > Mason Jar

A - Pours out cloudy amber with lots of yeast floating around at the bottom, 1 finger of foamy white head, little lacing.
S - Aroma is really underwhelming, you get a little burnt caramel some dried flowers, tart apple, some sour grapes as well. But its all really hard to detect
T - This is where things get interesting, there's this big toasted malt kinda thing goin on, almost woody, then there's a big tart apple, grape, pineapple grapefruit kinda sweetness, a little bit of a biscuity malt as well, very bitter on the end.
M - Full but oddly refreshing, a little chewy and dry bitterness lingers.
O - Despite the poor ratings, I really enjoyed this, its just something different. I really dig the nice malt complexity here and the sour fruit that compliments it, almost yin and yang kinda deal. I'd gladly have this again on tap if available even though its not the best.
I also drank this while eating some home made apple pie with fresh apples right outside the house, perfect compliment!!!

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%

3.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The Piper's IPA
Cellar Rats Brewery
Style: American IPA
ABV: 7.30 %

LOOK: Pours dark for the style, a rich light brown. Off white head forms and leaves some lace down the side of the glass.

SMELL: Brown sugar, nuts, citrus, hops, pine, resin.

TASTE: Upfront a rich maltyness with a earthy/piney hop bite. Brown sugar, molasses, and nuts pair well with grapefruit, pine and grassy notes. Well balanced and alot of flavors going on without a hint of alcohol.

FEEL: Medium to full bodied, well carbonated, and easy drinking. Smooth overall and definitely not lacking in body.

OVERALL: An east coast ipa? Big malt flavors, strong hop presence, and easy drinking all in all. This is a pretty good IPA, bordering on hopped up brown/amber ale territory.

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Amber-brown color, a bit hazy, with a 1/2-finger head that slowly settles
S: A fair amount of sweet malt but a bit of pine hops underneath
T: Sweet malt up front with a bit of butterscotch but a pine-driven (dare I say Pine-Sol) hop component towards the end
M: Medium-bodied, a touch resinous
O: This is decent but there are many other IPAs I would turn to first. Not bad but not memorable either

3.41/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is a dark rust color with burnt orange highlights. It is capped off with an inch of tan head.

S - The first smell that hit my nostrils was fresh grapefruit. Some caramel malt made its way through after the initial aroma.

T - This beer has a solid malt backbone. The hops come through with some grapefruit and even a little juniper.

M - It is rather viscous for an ipa.

O - It is far from a hop bomb. I would say that it is more like an English IPA.

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a perfect pint.

5.0 A: Murky dark orange brown color. I needed two pours to get a full glass. Eventually two fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is insanely good and the thickest lacing I've ever seen covers the entire glass.

3.0 S: The nose is mainly yeastiness followed by toasty malts and caramel. There isn't a whole lot of hoppiness in this IPA. It's not bad. It'd be a decent amber ale, but it sucks as an IPA.

3.5 T: The taste is the same. Lots of yeast, toastiness, and caramel. Light bitterness. Hops are a bit more present, giving a light earth and grassiness. Again, would be a decent amber.

3.0 M: Heavier medium body. Good carbonation level despite needing two pours. Light creaminess. A bit too chewy for my liking.

3.0 D: I wish this was filtered some since the yeast can be a bit overbearing at times. Still, it's not bad.

3.31/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bought this to get the cap, which is a pretty nifty design. (What am I going to do with all those things?)

Pours a deep hazy brown color with a fresh fruity aroma. Head is tannish with some lacing and residual skim of foam and bubbles. Nice appearance.

Taste is rich and malty for an IPA, with decent hop presence, but I can't quite pick up the flavors. Not citrus or pine, just a generic bitterness with a hint of a sweet malt aftertaste. Mouthfeel is solid with good carbonation. Reminds me of some of the Boatswain beers brewed by Minehas for Trader Joe's. I agree with RblWthACoz (see review below.) It's almost more like a strong ale due to the heavy malt profile, mouthfeel and dark appearance.

If I lived where this is available on tap, I'd probably enjoy it. I'm guessing this is far better from a keg pour. As it is, I wouldn't buy it again, however.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%