The Piper's IPA - Cellar Rats Brewery

The Piper's IPAThe Piper's IPA

Cellar Rats Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

(Beer added by: BB1313 on 03-11-2012)
3.31/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bought this to get the cap, which is a pretty nifty design. (What am I going to do with all those things?)

Pours a deep hazy brown color with a fresh fruity aroma. Head is tannish with some lacing and residual skim of foam and bubbles. Nice appearance.

Taste is rich and malty for an IPA, with decent hop presence, but I can't quite pick up the flavors. Not citrus or pine, just a generic bitterness with a hint of a sweet malt aftertaste. Mouthfeel is solid with good carbonation. Reminds me of some of the Boatswain beers brewed by Minehas for Trader Joe's. I agree with RblWthACoz (see review below.) It's almost more like a strong ale due to the heavy malt profile, mouthfeel and dark appearance.

If I lived where this is available on tap, I'd probably enjoy it. I'm guessing this is far better from a keg pour. As it is, I wouldn't buy it again, however.

3.14/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is the darkest "IPA" I can recall having ever seen. Ever. It's well into brown ale territory. If it was a blind pour and I was forced to guess, I might have said barleywine or strong ale.

Nose is muted. Flavor profile is quite malty with a minimal amount of hop influence. It's consistent, but this is nowhere near an American IPA. If I had to pick a style for it, is say English strong ale. If they had classified it as such, the ratings would be much higher I would imagine.

3.78/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a cloudy dark amber color with a dark orange hue when held to the light. Slightly tan head is well over an inch thick and does not want to seem to want to settle down! I actually resorted to sucking foam off the top of the head that was rising taller than my glass just to get the head down to a manageable size so I could pout the remainder of the beer out of the bottle into the glass. I very rarely do this, I just wait for the beer's head to settle down of its own accord, but heads on the beers I drink aren't usually ever this massive to begin with. So even after my efforts I'm still left with a good 1 inch head of thick foam that doesn't seem anxious to settle down anytime soon, finally settling to a good 1/3 inch after a few more sips.. Tons of lacing on the inside of the glass. Aromas of toasty caramel malts with some piney and citrusy hops. The taste pretty much follows suit, a nice toasty caramel sweetness upfront followed by a somewhat subtle pine and citrus hop flavors. Seems a bit lacking in the hop bitterness I am used to in an American IPA. Has a smooth, creamy, frothy medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in the way a well crafted beer such as this ought to be. Not a bad beer by any means, but there is certainly some room for improvement with the flavor profile.

Eric

3.5/5  rDev +8%

3.41/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is a dark rust color with burnt orange highlights. It is capped off with an inch of tan head.

S - The first smell that hit my nostrils was fresh grapefruit. Some caramel malt made its way through after the initial aroma.

T - This beer has a solid malt backbone. The hops come through with some grapefruit and even a little juniper.

M - It is rather viscous for an ipa.

O - It is far from a hop bomb. I would say that it is more like an English IPA.

3.01/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

I get it. If you’re not experimenting, you’re not trying. It’s not avant-garde. It won’t make the beer magazine cover. Still, I can’t wrap my head around these sugar-sweet IPAs.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 7.3%

LOOK: Root beer float head, it comes quick. Looks a lot like Buffalo Bill’s Alimony Ale. There’s a nice roasted color beneath it all, if it would just come down so I can drink the stubborn thing. It defines retention.

NOSE: Flat Christmas cookies. One-dimensional.

MOUTH: Brown sugar and gingerbread, especially on the lips. Malt for days, a hit of copper bitterness right in the middle. The texture is there, clinging in the right spots for the right amount of time. It just isn’t calling me back for more.

Beeradvocate Rating: 74

ratebeer Rating: 28

Hayward Abbey Rating: 72

3.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The Piper's IPA
Cellar Rats Brewery
Style: American IPA
ABV: 7.30 %

LOOK: Pours dark for the style, a rich light brown. Off white head forms and leaves some lace down the side of the glass.

SMELL: Brown sugar, nuts, citrus, hops, pine, resin.

TASTE: Upfront a rich maltyness with a earthy/piney hop bite. Brown sugar, molasses, and nuts pair well with grapefruit, pine and grassy notes. Well balanced and alot of flavors going on without a hint of alcohol.

FEEL: Medium to full bodied, well carbonated, and easy drinking. Smooth overall and definitely not lacking in body.

OVERALL: An east coast ipa? Big malt flavors, strong hop presence, and easy drinking all in all. This is a pretty good IPA, bordering on hopped up brown/amber ale territory.

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

12 ounce bottle from Ryan011235, poured into a LaChouffe tulip. Dark copper(?) with a modest head, but some attractive soapy streaks of lacing.

Smells chiefly of carmelized sugars and toasty malt with wafts of faded citrus and pine hopping. On the positive side, there's a nice piney bitterness that's accentuated by the ample carbonation and a nice grittiness in the oily, slightly boozy finish. Despite the dark hue, this stuff isn't overly sweet; the malt profile overall is kinda toasty and bready, and the caramel sweetness there kinda smooths out the sharp bitterness a bit. Not something I'd seek out, but It kinda grew on me.

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a perfect pint.

5.0 A: Murky dark orange brown color. I needed two pours to get a full glass. Eventually two fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is insanely good and the thickest lacing I've ever seen covers the entire glass.

3.0 S: The nose is mainly yeastiness followed by toasty malts and caramel. There isn't a whole lot of hoppiness in this IPA. It's not bad. It'd be a decent amber ale, but it sucks as an IPA.

3.5 T: The taste is the same. Lots of yeast, toastiness, and caramel. Light bitterness. Hops are a bit more present, giving a light earth and grassiness. Again, would be a decent amber.

3.0 M: Heavier medium body. Good carbonation level despite needing two pours. Light creaminess. A bit too chewy for my liking.

3.0 D: I wish this was filtered some since the yeast can be a bit overbearing at times. Still, it's not bad.

4.28/5  rDev +32.1%

To me, a former resident of the small town of Madison, Ohio where this is made, Cellar Rats beer is better than the wine from the parent winery (which has been around a long, long time). I've had several on tap, I think including this one, and a few in bottles too. This must be the first time I've had this bottled because I would remember it.

This is a dark and malty AIPA. That's a little out of the ordinary, but it definitely works well. The "balanced" the flavors nicely on this. I like it a lot. It's slightly creamy - not at all bitey. I will seek this out again. It may be somewhat mis-classified, but it is a great tasting brew.

There is no indication anywhere on the packaging, but this tastes extremely fresh. They seem to be getting pretty good distribution - this is available not just at fine beverage stores, it's in the grocery stores too. Another nice one, Debonne.

2.23/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured into a Delirium snifter on 9/5/12

Well, if this isn't dark as all get out for an IPA. Deep caramel brown on the pour. Hazy, dark copper and rust color once in the glass. The head hits the two finger mark. Retention is a bubbly skim and there is one large arch of lace.

The aroma is much too malty for an IPA; there is a strong caramel presence with a decent shot of candied sugars. Hints of toasted bread. Now, that isn't to say it's without hops (think orange peel, hints of grapefruit and some floral tones); they're just not very bold.

Well, it does taste better than I was expecting; I'll give it that. Hops come through better on the palate with a fair amount of pine bitterness and citric pepperings. The malt profile is a blend of dark bread and caramel; it doesn't taste bad per se, but it's too much for my preferences. The finish is dry and at times seems ready to cross into harsh bitterness territory, though ultimately the hop bitterness is kept in line, erring on the side of flavor.

The feel is on the full side for the style; a bit gritty, a bit sticky with resin and a bit slick with sugar and alcohol. Carbonation is well on the low end of moderate which makes the feel slow and languid.

Overall impression - This isn't too bad of a beer, but I think it would do better as an American Strong Ale instead of an IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

3.5/5  rDev +8%

2.55/5  rDev -21.3%

Deep clouded ruby amber color with a deep thicket of off white light khaki tan head. Aroma has a touch of hoppiness, but way more caramel than your average IPA. Super caramel malts, and bread like yeast notes arise in the nose. Flavor has massive loads of bitterness, and sour notes...I think quality control needs called in. Upfront sweet caramel notes with a strong finish of plastic band aid, and bitterness from a muddled mess of hops. Mouthfeel is cloying with bitterness and off flavors, hot alcohol is just plain non-cohesive. Overall they need to go back to the drawing board on this sorry excuse for an American IPA, off flavors across the board I really enjoyed their stout.

The Piper's IPA from Cellar Rats Brewery