Redhook ESB - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Brewed in the style of a traditional British ESB (Extra Special Bitter), we’ve been making ESB continuously since 1987, and it’s now the benchmark for the Amber beer category. Despite having “bitter” in its name, Redhook ESB is really not that bitter at all. This brew is all about the balance of caramel malt sweetness completed by spicy, citrusy hops.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook ESB Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

This beer pours a golden/amber color. Clear, but my beer seemed to have a bit of yeast still in the bottle, but this is a good looking beer. The head was about a half inch tall and stayed around for a while with a good bit of lacing. Taste is very good, but the bitterness wasn't as extreme as I had expected. This has a good amount of carbonation and is very drinkable. It think this would have gone great with some hot wings and is a good beer to just sit on the back porch and enjoy.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

On tap at Harris Crab House in Kent Island, Maryland.

Pours amber with a thick white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is malty, bready, some hops

Taste is malty and bready with a nice hop finish..the entire mouthfeel is a bit creamy and "buttery", if that makes sense. Body is on the lighter side of medium. Drinkability is good.

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a pint glass, thin white head with minimal lacing. Deep orange color with a slight haze. Smell doesn't reveal too much of the huge biscuity-malt flavor from this beer. Nice hop presence without being overwhelming; just right for the style. Great drinker, but I'm partial to the style.

2.16/5  rDev -36.7%

Not impressed would sum up how I feel about this beer. It was decent, but definitely nothing special. Poured a plain brown color, with little to no head. Smell was of hay/straw and a little bit of pine. Tasted like grass and some toasted sugar, with some "dirty" undertones. I could drink this beer again, but it's not that great.

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a snifter. Small head from a hard pour that disappeared quickly without leaving any tracery. Nice red-gold color, very clear and crisp looking in the glass. Little smell that dissipates as quickly as the head. Rich maltiness accompanied immediately by the bite from the hops. The thing I love about this beer is the great balance between malt and hops. Feels good in the mouth, a little on the richer, syrupy side. Very drinkable, keeps you coming back for more. This is my beer when I'm at Winn-Dixie at 11:45 after a concert and the only other choice is Sam Addams.

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured this darker amber/wheat beer into a pint glass. When first poured into the pint glass a fair amount of head presented itself. However, the head soon reduced to faint wisps of lacing. The aroma is that of a sweat grass, slight maltyness and a hint of hops. The taste follows suit in the sweat grass, and maltyness. Leaving with a hop flavorful mouth feel. Overall a great ESB.

3.26/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear amber with a small white head. Aromas are negligible but the taste is pleasantly malty, with woodsy notes and a slight but perceptible earthy bitterness. No corners, uncomplicated and easily sessionable if not particularly interesting. Probably my favorite of the major Redhook styles.

4.07/5  rDev +19.4%

Served up out of a big 22 from the mini-mart on the corner, in my girlfriend's "Sturdy Bitch" pint glass from the handmade bike show, past my beard, and down my gullet. Drinkin it now.

This here comes across like a half-and-half glass of caramelly British ESB and American pale. The caramel whuffs out when you crack the bottle, and it's there rolling across your tongue with the first taste but it doesn't reach up your nose and stuff some butterscotch up there like Fuller's'll do. There's some grapefruit rind hoppiness coming in under the candy-sweet malt that wouldn't be present in a British ESB, but is pleasant here.

It looks like I'd expect from a pint of extra-special-and-bitter too, a bright brass color tinted a little bit red. I think next time I'm at the Horse Brass I'll ask them to make me a pint of ESBB and see how that works out.

I think I could drink this all night if it were all that were available, and not be too unhappy at the prospect.

4.07/5  rDev +19.4%

From a bottle brewed in Portsmouth New Hampshire dated 111709 and sampled on January 21, 2010. The pour is an orange-amber color with nice clarity and about a half inch of foamy off-white head that diminishes eventually. The aroma is a nice mix of caramel malts and fresh hops in the background. It comes with a mildly bitter flavor enhanced by its dry hopped finish and a bit of orange or tangerine. It is a nice variation on the ESB style.

4.15/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into nonic pint...

A: Pours a light copper brew with a 1/2 to 1 finger head of fine white bubbles and decent clarity. head fades to a thin blanket of tiny bubbles.

S: Peanut butter, caramel apple, grassy aromas, almost hay like, grapefruit peel, a noticeable yeasty, estery aroma as well. However, aroma overall seems very light.

T: sweet and fruity up front(think apples and oranges) yet well balanced with the peanut buttery, caramel malty flavors. finishes with hop spices, yeast-like fruitiness of apples, caramel, biscuity with a hint of orange peel.

M: a medium bodied brew that adds to the drinkability, a little oily with a good carbonation that leads to crisp, dry finish

Overall, upon first impression I wasn't too impressed but after a couple I gained respect for this brew. While the appearance and aroma aren't impressive, the flavors are in good balance and fit the style well. A very drinkable beer as I could easily enjoy a few of these.

3.91/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours clear coppery with medium sized off white head that dissipates quickly.

Smells buttery with hints of caramel and bitterness too.

It tastes smooth with a little bit of hoppiness at the end. There's also a fair bit so caramel malt flavor as well. Overall pretty good, but a little watery.

This beer has a smooth mouthfeel, and I feel that this beer would be OK for a relatively cheap beer to drink for an evening.

2.43/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a shakers pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy, orange amber color. Produced a thin half fingers width of white head. Quickly dissipated.

S- Has a malt background with a bready character. Slight sweetness almost gives it an aroma of iced tea.

T- Much like the aroma except I keep picking up an unpleasant, musty flavor in the background. Bit of hops in there as well.

M- Light bodied with some carbonation. Semi-dry feel on the palate.

D- I could see how this could potentially be a drinkable beer, however, the off flavors in this beer almost made me drain pour it.

Overall, after spending some time in Denver and the local brewpub scene, I definitely won't be wasting money on this one when I want an ESB.

4.17/5  rDev +22.3%

I poured this beer from the bottle and was struck by the orange color and cloudy appearance. The head was strong, remaining intact almost throughout the duration.

I was pleasantly surprised by the fullness of the taste. It was citrusy, but not too much so, and its fullness was welcome in my palate -- not heavy at all. I've had several Redhook beers of late, and this is my favorite -- a great compliment to dinner or a satisfying stand-alone drink.

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

I had this beer at the brewery and was quite surprised because I recalled not liking it in the past. It was poured well tasty very bready with heavy hops in the finish.

Would I buy it again? Probably.

Is it something Im going to go out of my way to get.
Probably not.

If the opportunity ever arises and you find yourself at the brewery they sometimes have it in cask and that is a completely different story.

3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

bottled 09/23/09

pours golden copper with a 1 finger head that fades fast to a film and left some lacing

smells very sweet and of light citrus hops

taste is ok - bready malts are there with some cheap tasting grain but the hops dont match - they are not bitter they are fruity

mouthfeel is ho hum - light and not much life

drinkability - i doubt i ever get this again

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%

12 oz bottle to glass. Copper-orange color. Initially I got zero aromas, but opened up a bit after warming, smelled like fruity hops. Tasted pretty much like a run of the mill American pale ale. I didn't get the tangy or mineral of the English ESBs that i like, and what tastes like American hops just sort of made me question why they call this an ESB.

3.65/5  rDev +7%

Recommended to me by a coworker as one of the best beers he has ever had.

A - Yellow with a hint of orange.
S - slight malt but mostly hops
T - For an ESB (extra special bitter) or however they abbreviate it it really is smooth. Hops and malt go hand and hand together to make a tasty brew.
M - Light but also refreshing. It goes down like a regular ale but at almost 6% its awesome.
D - I would easily crush a six pack if I could find it cheap but around here at 11.99 a six pack I may be a bit weary. PA really need to get cheaper beer.

Overall better than I expect. This would be an everyday ale for me if I had it locally but for now I must wait for PA to ease the regulation.

2.93/5  rDev -14.1%

I am not a fan of ESB's really. But this one made me a little more forgiving. Pours on the darker end of yellow with a lot of caramel hop aroma. Taste is only slightly bitter with a bit of hoppiness and maltiness. Unfortunately it was a little bit skunky, but still not all that bad. I would drink it again.

3.3/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Another Party Leftover WOOHOO!

Appearance- A hazy golden orangeish hue with a puffy white head. Beautiful lacing

Smell- some malt and earthy hops mostly there isn't much in the way of aroma here. In some cases mild aroma is better than something that is way to overpowering on the nose.

taste- Pretty malty and hoppy. It isn't as bitter as I thought it would be. It has some sweet caramel notes as well. I like that the hops take center stage in this one.

Mouthfeel- It is a little sticky but not to the point where it bothers me. It is a very smooth and easy to drink beer. It is a tad watery for my taste but it is still pretty good

Overall- I am glad I finally got to try this one. I am pleased overall. It is a pretty decent beer but I don't see how it is considered and ESB I was expecting a beer that used hops with very high alpha acid content which would in turn make the drinker have to take their time with this beer. It is not nearly as bitter as I would have expected but it is still a pretty decent beer all things considered and a great session beer.

3.12/5  rDev -8.5%

Just picked up a 12er of this guy for my buddy to try an ESB. served around 50 degrees in a pint.

Pours easy with a large head, settled down to about 2 fingers. Head was a solid white with fairly large bubbles while the beer is an orangy coppery color thats completely transparent. Very little action in the glass. Zero lacing and the head receded within seconds.

Tough to pick up any smells here, maybe the lightest bit of malt? Zero floral or anything else I can discern.

Tiniest bit of hoppiness, and some smooth almost caramely aspect at the end. very nice bitterness towards the middle and end, its pronounced but not overpowering. Personally think it could use a bit more, but I also love the ultra hopped beers so. I get a bit of maltiness at the end to which is great, fun to end on a sweet note.

This beers got a great feel. It slides down smooth, and its got a sticky factor in it that hangs around very briefly, like seconds after you've swallowed. Could use some playfulness maybe? But as an ESB it knows its job.

If this beer wasn't 5.8 percent I could be drinking it all night, goes down smooth and other than the slight stickyness at the corners of your mouth its fantastic.

This beer is a great one to pull out when your watchin the game with some buddies and a couple slices of pizza, I wasn't dazzled, but for sure will be buying this one again.

3.83/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Color: pours a light golden straw. sits a clear, burnished copper

Smell: hop aroma is very low, perhaps too low. caramelly, slightly grainy malt with some esters and a hint of diacetyl

Taste: very low hop flavor with a rich, grainy malt character. no esters. hint of diacetyl. finish is medium dry with a tiny bitterness that doesnt linger too long. a little DMS in there?

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium body with moderate carbonation

Notes: definitely tastes like a "cheap" version of the better examples. still not bad for someone looking for a strong english style pale.

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: a slightly hazy orange-gold hue with one finger of ivory head. An attractive lace is left as I drink the glass.

Smell: aroma is quite sweet with some nice earthy hops present.

Taste: somewhat sweet caramel malt backbone with hops sitting atop: somewhat earthy, somewhat floral. Quite well balanced.

Mouthfeel: medium body, not a whole lot of carbonation. Pretty run-of-the-mill, though not bad.

Drinkability: a pretty solid session beer. I could definitely quaff a few of these, especially during a meal.

3.36/5  rDev -1.5%

Been drinking crafts for about a year now. I hope I've learned something from both you and myself in that time.

Appearance: Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass. A finger and a half of head that settles down to a thin, translucent membrane rather quickly. Very clear amber-gold liquid.

Smell: Rather malty. Somewhat watery (yes, I did just describe a small as watery). Nothing to go crazy over.

Taste: Malty and watery, almost sweet up front with a slight hop presence that becomes stronger until you swallow. A little more adjunct grain taste than I had expected, or care for, considering the price tag. The disparity in this beer between it being cold and sweet on the first taste to lukewarm with a hoppy pungency after a tumble in the mouth is huge.

Mouthfeel: Watery. Carbonation present but by no means overwhelming. This brew does not punish the palate, nor does it assert its presence in a way that begs remembrance.

Drinkability: Goes down easy and doesn't carry much of an after-taste. Considering both taste and budget constraints, this beer nothing especially hard to find I would say it's incredibly sessionable.

An acceptable craft brew. I won't be rushing out to buy it again and again, but I won't regret taking on another sixer of it in the future.

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is primarily of hops. Taste is also a bit hoppy, but not to much, good flavor. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a fairly good quality beer.

3.75/5  rDev +10%

Poured into a tumbler it produces a nice 20 mm head that leaves some lacing. The appearance is light amber and very slightly cloudy. There is a slight aroma of spicy hops and malt. The taste is malty with moderate bitterness that comes through in the finish. It feels moderately bodied with moderate carbonation. It's a refreshing and drinkable ale.

Redhook ESB from Redhook Ale Brewery