Fat Chance Light IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: boku56 on 06-21-2014

Ratings: 25 | Reviews: 3
3.77/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm having this as a nightcap- less ABV, more water. A moderate pour from a longneck into a shaker produces a billowy and semi-sticky head. The beer is a very pale golden with light carbonation.

The aroma is floral and piney, fairly pleasant. The flavor is likewise piney, with some light malt underlying everything. A slight bit of caramel flavor and some cracker-like flavors in the malt. The mouth feel is a bit spritzy, and definitely quenching. The aftertaste is pretty clean, with a bit of lingering floral characters in the burps. It grows on you as you sip it. I think it hydrates a little.

This would be a good hot weather brew, or for lunch. My only objection is the name- what the hell does India have to do with this? This is a light, hoppy American pale ale.

4.21/5  rDev +23.5%

To date this is my most favorite Red Hook offering. I found it by chance and was very happy I did so. The beer pours the normal, yellow-beer color with a light head. It does have good staying power though and very nice lacing down the glass. What blew me away though was the smell - it was absolutely fabulous. There was distinct scents of cherry and apple mixed in with just hints of the normal citrusy odors such as orange and lime - the whole mix was very fruity. The feel it put out was tangy but not overpowering, quite a bit of carbonation but not so much to take away from the taste. Speaking of which, the taste was mostly citrus - none of the apples or cherries I smelled. Overall, I guess this beer proves a point for me since I'm not a huge IPA type, but I do appreciate it when I come across a good one, light or not.

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Seems everybody is doing these “light IPAs” lately, and Red Hook’s entry into the sweepstakes pours a cloudy golden, with nice white head of carbonation and attractive lace.

Nose is lively citrus and floral hops. Very appealing.

Taste is a pleasing mix of hoppy citrus and, well, hoppy citrus. Bitterness comes in at the finish. This may not be a complex “session IPA”, but I find it quite enjoyable and a perfect tonic for hop-heads. And kudos to Red Hook for getting this one down to a ridiculously low 4.0% ABV. I dig it.

Fat Chance Light IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery