Redhook Winterhook - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2003

Regardless of whether you spend your winter months on the slopes, shoveling your driveway or just hiding out, Redhook Winterhook is a great way to chase off the winter chill. This year will be our 27th consecutive release of Winterhook. The recipe changes slightly every winter because nobody likes getting the exact same Holiday present year after year. Redhook’s 27th brew of Winterhook has roasted chocolate notes that smooth out the quick, spicy hop finish. The rich body and nutty, malty backbone make this winter ale slighty naughty and very nice.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Winterhook Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark brown syrup color. Almost opaque with red highlights.
thick foamy, tan head that holds well.
Light carbonation.
Rich, aroma, smells of roasted malts.
Smooth, roasted malt flavor, light hop finish with hints of citrus and spice.
Smooth on the palate, drinkable.
Fans of Sam Adam's Boston Lager will enjoy this one.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Winter of '05 realse. Pours a clear, dark amber. Off-white creamy head one finger tall, with excellent retention. Beautiful patterns of lace cling stubbornly to the glass. The nose is not strong, but shows some dark malt and holdiay spice aromas. An odd, but not foul smell hides behind the malt, could be from wood chips or stale hops used in dry hopping...I don't know. Toasted barley and cinnamon flavor, followed by a well balanced dose of english hop bitterness. Aftertaste is hebal and tea-like, but fades gracefully. Medium body and nearly flat carbonation with scarce and tiny bubbles slowly rising north. Extra-smooth mouthfeel, easy on the eyes, and a pleasent hoppy finish; a nice winter seasonal.

Short Version:
Unremarkable but tasty ale that is crisp, well balanced, and quite drinkable.

Details:
OK, I confess this beer is a bit past it's prime. It's April and I'm finishing off my winter stock to make room for spring ales.

Poured a deep amber-brown sorrel color with a 1-finger dingy head. On the nose I get forward malt, light spice, and a slightly sour (but not unpleasant) hop essence.

I see some micro particulate suspended within causing some cloudiness. Lace is there but weak. Head has dropped to a ring with a scalloped cirrus cloud pattern scraped across the top.

Taste is malt-forward with a metallic hop tang. Caramel. Crisp indeed. I get a little roastiness but not much. Not tasting the spice I got a hint of on the nose. I wish I could. When I think "winter warmer" I'm thinking tangible spice. Pepper, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, orange peel, etc. Not getting that here. Finish is crisp and more hop-dominant than on the palate.

I'm getting a tasty but unremarkable middle-of-the-road ale. I'd buy it again and drink it again (good drinkability) but I can't get past a B grade on this one. Nothing about it really stands out.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Color is a clearish coppery brown, medium sized head of light tan hue, fades slow to a thin puff and lace sticks in moth holed-sheets. Smell is roasted malts, somewhat hefty and heavy, sweet with solid caramel and toffee thats reminiscent of burnt cookies. Hop notes of deep pine. Mostly coming through as it warms. Taste has a good portion of sweet malts, caramel, lightly burnt, lightly earthy, hops come across late with a fairly nice bite and bitterness that lends some dried pineyness. Some spiced grab shows through in the finish along with a smidgon of alcohol thats a bit warming. Feel is medium bodied and has a light grainy texture with a hop kick in alot of the finish with a spicy note. Not bad for Redhook, I was expecting something lack luster, but the late kick this has kept me intrigued.

Bought the last bottle on the shelf at Redmond Trader Joe's. And the brief:
Appearance: med-dark amber or deep copper - clear, w/ a decent head, and lacing still on my empty glass. I thought the beer would pour a darker color.

Smell: light malts and some Cascade hops... more on the citrus hop side of things to my schnoz, but I'm getting over a cold. Inviting (the beer, not the cold).

Taste: nice balance between caramel malts and the hops, with a little biscuity sweetness peeking in at times only to be brought back by the firm hop presence. Finish is lightly bitter and made me salivate ("watery"), which made me want to take another sip.

Overall Thoughts/Opinions: nice and pleasant but not freaking amazing. I think this little option would fit more in a NW IPA category rather than a Winter Warmer, but who am I to advise Redhook? I'll have to try a Jubelale, Snowcap, Celebration, and Sammy Smith Winter Welcome in the near future to see if the Winterhook is more like an IPA or if my preferences/familiarities have changed.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2013 (Sept) release served from fridge and poured into a pint glass

A - Pours burnt amber color, clear for a bock look. tan thick head settles to a ring, and laces well on the way down.

S - The aroma starts off non existent, disappointing, so you must let it warm for the grassy, spicy hops to arise. A grain back bone, like an English or A P A.

T - Pale Ale flavor, very well balanced between hops and malt. Great finish. Great food beer. Hops start the parade, with flowers, grass, fruit, bright flavors, followed by a nice long malty core, not sweet, and a tingly long finish. I really liked the flavor. If you pale ale, you'll like.

M - Very crisp, good weight. Refreshing, but hearty .

D - I could enjoy more than one! Good beer, must try, there are better winter warmers: Widmer, Sierra. As one reviewer wrote - let it come to cellar temp to appreciate its spicy complexity and tease out more aroma. True of all these winter focused beers!

One of Red Hook's best?

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

A deep ruby beer with a bright white head that stands a long time in contrast to the liquid below.

The cascade hops jumps into your nose as the glass approaches. A very nice touch that I was not expecting.

The hops are most definately in the taste but they wrestle with the malt sweetness. As I write this I am about to say the it is balanced toward the hops but then in the finish the sweetness comes out ahead but here again comes those hops. A complexness in balance that is really great.

The mouthfeel is medium light, The hops to tingle the roof of my mouth but this is maybe the weakest aspect of this beer.

This is a nice Winter Ale. I particularly like the hops/malt contrast. A nice hoppy middle of the road beer that I look forward trying again soon.

3.64/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a deep red amber with a big llasting acey off-white head. Sweet on the malts and light on the hops. The balance is spot on. Mouthfeel is very smooth. The strength barely shows through. Certainly amoung the better beers by Redhook. Not over the top in flavor, but very eaasy to drink.

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Pours a dark brown bordering on amber. Very clear, filtered. Almost appears lagered. Little head formation, light carbonation.

S - Very lightly scented - at best I can detect just a hair of ale yeast.

T - Starts with a smooth caramel malt, has a bit of nutty notes to it as well. Builds some bitterness, but a malt forward beer. Appropriate for a warmer. No hopping detected. Finishes with a light malty sweet note. No aftertaste.

M - Moderate to strong beer body - lots of good sugar thickness to the beer. Some mouth coating. Carbonation bite is light.

D - Solid drinkability for a warmer. Certainly a bit filling and a bit too sweet for summer months, but certainly does the trick for the winter. ABV will surely warm you, but probably not bite.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - pours a nice clear red. Bit of cream head. Nice lacing.

S - Not a whole lot going on. Little bit of sweetness & malt. Little bits of spice.

T - A bit of the same. Some spice and caramel sweetness, some nice evergreen hops. Hopped a bit more heavily than I'd expect... it isn't really all that much, just a little bit more than I'd expect in balance to the malt. Finishes with a bit more spice and the hops.

M - Fairly thin, nice carbonation.

D - Pretty good. Wouldn't be hard to finish several of these.

Ok winter warmer, nothing terribly exciting. There are better ones out there, but this is worth a try.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

So what the heck am I doing reviewing this in June? I know I've had this run of the mill brown ale before, but today I found a six marked way down. So how does it taste 8 months after the date on the bottle? Similar to the way it tasted in October, I think.

It is a typical brown color with very little head. The aroma is slightly pungent, it would be great if you cranked it up by a factor of 4. The taste is typical brown ale. There doesn't seem to be anything that distinguishes it as a winter warmer - no spice. It's malty but not strong.

The aftertaste is a similar malty, boring flavor.

So I got these really cheap in June, and I got what I paid for. When will I ever learn.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

This beer pours a dark shade of brown with a nice head and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma was malty with caramel and some spice. The flavor reminded me a lot of Anchor Steam, with just a little more strength in the flavor. Malty and hoppy, with caramel and spices. Good winter beer.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

When poured into the glass, it has a nice chestnut brown with garnet highlights. There is no cloudiness to it that can be detected. Light passes through the beer, but it is dark enough that you can't make out what is seen on the other side. When poured a thin tan head formed that turned into a film that lasted until I was finished with the beer. There was some lacing on the side of the glass.

The scent is mainly of dried dark fruits like prunes and raisins. A touch of citrus and the spicy bitterness of hops rounds off the smell. The first sip mainly consists of the taste combination of caramel malts and hops. There is a citrus hint and a touch of cloves to the finish. The flavor is kind of thin and watery.

This is a medium bodied beer that has a nice carbonation level to it.

It's pretty easy to drink. I wouldn't recommend it as a compliment to a meal. This is definitely a beer that one drinks by itself, preferably while sitting next to a warm fire in the accompaniment of friends. It's definitely one I would drink again, most likely on a special occasion.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pouring to a dark brown color with tinges of red, Winterhook is nice in appearance. It has a good level of foam and lacing and it offers a nose of citrus, pine, and malty toffee.

Moving to the taste, Winterhook impresses even more. This winter warmer has a flavor similar to what the nose leads you to expect, but with greater intensity. It does have flavors of citrus, pine, and toffee, but I can also detect other flavors like bread, earthy hops, and even a touch of chocolate, tea, and herbs. The complexity is greater than expected and the beer remains reasonably smooth.

Winterhook reinvented itself this year as Winterhook #29 and this seasonal brew is among the better ones I have tasted in the series. You don’t get the nutmeg/cinnamon and other spices like you commonly taste in the typical winter seasonal. This is a more straight- forward beer without the holiday additives. I like it more and more with each passing sip and I think it is safe to say that most guests at your next holiday party will feel the same. Give it sampling and enjoy the taste of the season, courtesy of Redhook.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

This 2011/2012 version was sampled on tap (this is important because I’ve heard they change the recipe from year-to-year). The color was clear copper with a big khaki head that retained decently and left sliding spots of lacing. The aroma was not as spicy as it had been in the past, showcasing caramel malt and piney hops instead with only hints of clove. The flavors were a bit heavy on the herbal/piney hops at first with a caramel malt backbone and hints of toasted nuts and toffee behind that. The mouthfeel was average, the body medium and the carbonation mid-level. Not as spiced as many winter warmers which I found welcome though nothing amazing as a stand-alone brew either.

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%

A nice copper colored ale. You can definitely smell the malts. The beer has a nice malty flavor combined with some sweetness. It has a nice clean finish, nice balance, and nothing, including the alcohol, is overwhelming. I give it high marks, although there is nothing exceptional in the taste, it is decent, and the clean finish leaves you wanting another swig. Its a nice little sixer to pick up.

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%

I talked to a representative from the brewery and they told me that Winterhook was Red Hook's "experimental" beer, and that they do something different every year. She told me that this year's concoction was a hoppier version of years past with some different flavors thrown in. So I did what any defenseless man conversing with an attractive young woman would do, I took her advice and bought a six-pack. After I tried one she was right about the hops....they were everywhere, smell and taste. Now I'm not complaining but the supposed "other flavors" I couldn't find. I seemed to me this beer was nothing more than a fine crafted micro-brew pale ale with some roasted malt thrown in for a nice dark color. Not a bad choice but there are better Red Hook beers out there.

3.61/5  rDev +0.6%

From the winter sampler pack
A=Pours a great looking dark copper color, the head is about a 1 finger that fades away fairly rapidly but the lacing is out of this world, the glass is nearly completely covered in it.
S=Not very strong smelling, some sweet malt, and a bit of hop.
T=A bit of spiced hop combines with the backbone of malt to make a well balanced yet simple taste. The hops rear their heads more in the aftertaste than anywhere else.
M=Medium bodied, good aftertaste
D=surprisingly filling, I'd stick to one or two of these in a night

Another offering from Redhook thats worth a look but not worth any sort of extra effort to obtain

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

RedHook WinterHook Ale- Mugsys bar Rte 70 ( Toms River/ Bricktown)

Appearance- A nice dark red with a thick white head
Smell- bitter hops with a citrus and floral
Taste- bitter. Citrus and floral hops. good!
Mouthfeel- sharp bitterness. Nice little aftertaste. No bubbly carbonation.

Overall, a good Ale that I enjoyed but Sierra Nevada would be a sufficiant replacement and slighty more enjoyable!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a bockish colour with some retaining head. Mild malt and spice aroma.Significant hops in there. Middling mouthfeel, syruppy malt. Not too complex, symbollically tasty, with celery. A bit better than average beer though so-so as a winter warmer.

Bottled on 11.15.06

Pours a dark brownish copper color with an off-white ring of lace that sticks to the side of the glass. Aroma is dominated by fresh hops with a faint sweet malt background and maybe even some winter spices. After the really nice aroma, I was a little let down by the lack of flavor. The taste, much like the aroma is dominated by the hops upfront with a sweet and toasted malt presence as well. Pretty good tasting brew, but it is just a little too watered down. Overall, this is an interesting enough seasonal to have again but really nothing to get exited over.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a clear copper color with a 1/2 inch head that settles quickly. Some lacing left on the glass during consumption.

Smell is mostly malt with caramel hints. A bit of the hops is also detected in the nose.

The flavor is more on the hoppy side than what is expected in a winter warmer. Not that I mind. Malt is very mild and bland. I would like some more complexity in this style. Carbonation is a little harsh. The body is also on the lighter side.

It is a nice tasting beer and the ABV isn't very high. I think is slightly lower than 6% according to Redhook's website. I would drink this again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A solid but not outstanding beer. Pours a medium dark brown carmely color with not a lot of head to speak of. Smell is more hoppy than I'd expect, due to the darker color. Nice pine scent. Also a bit of sweet malts hidden in there. Pretty tasty floral hops and a nice presence of fruity malts makes this beer pretty well balanced. Unfortunately it's a tad watery which takes away from the flavor. Very drinkable though. If the brewers stepped this one up just a few notches it could be a very good beer.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

I don't consider my palette particularly developed, but after this beer I think I understand what it is for the malt to have a great relationship with the hops. I normally wouldn't really see the winter beer characteristics in this other than some spices that I'm picking up and the high drinkability, but you can knock back a 6 pack of these and feel refreshed (and drunk) instead of overwhelmed. Nice dark copper color. I enjoyed drinking it more straight out of the bottle than in the glass and I'll be buying it again next year.

Redhook Winterhook from Redhook Ale Brewery