Redhook Winterhook - Redhook Ale Brewery

good

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

Regardless of whether you spend your winter months on the slopes, shoveling your driveway or just hiding out, Redhook Winterhook is a great way to chase off the winter chill. This year will be our 27th consecutive release of Winterhook. The recipe changes slightly every winter because nobody likes getting the exact same Holiday present year after year. Redhook’s 27th brew of Winterhook has roasted chocolate notes that smooth out the quick, spicy hop finish. The rich body and nutty, malty backbone make this winter ale slighty naughty and very nice.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Winterhook Alström Bros
BeerSox

12oz bottle into nonic

Dark copper hue with a two finger light tan head that slowly settles to a thin cap, leaving behind a wall of webby lacing.

Lots of citrusy hops that makes up most of the aroma. A little bit of caramel is in the background.

Once again, plenty of hops in the flavor with a little bit of green tea along with the standard grapefruit. The malts add only a slight caramel toastines to the flavor. Full bodied. The hops linger on for a while after each sip.

Pretty hoppy for a Winter Warmer, more of a dark Amber Ale in my opinion. Still, pretty tasty.

11-15-2008 23:08:09 | More by BeerSox
marc77

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

Ruddy chestnut hue with a light mirk. Stiff, pitted, steadfast vanilla white head leaves lace. Juicy tangerine laced with mint sprigs upfront in aroma. Burnt, buttery, brown sugar sprinkled biscuit and dark toffee are secondary. Sweet cocoa undertone. Quite appetizing aromawise. Simple medium lovibond caramel initially in flavor, is superceded by assertive, pithy hop bitterness and sharp suggestion of grated cinnamon. Mellows quickly, with stately butterscotch and bittersweet marmalade notes contrasting the barbed hop character. Understated hints of tart plum surface late along with breezy, disparate dry cocoa, lending dessert like qualities. Soft on the palate, and perhaps a touch lean in body to complement the malt backbone. Finishes both buttery and burnt, with lingering diacetyl and singed biscuit tones. A flavorful, albeit raw brew with a surprising amount of character. Quite tasty, and overall a well above average winter seasonal. Has aging potential.

11-29-2003 22:50:10 | More by marc77
clvand0

Kentucky

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

This beer pours a dark shade of brown with a nice head and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma was malty with caramel and some spice. The flavor reminded me a lot of Anchor Steam, with just a little more strength in the flavor. Malty and hoppy, with caramel and spices. Good winter beer.

12-12-2003 21:44:44 | More by clvand0
tavernjef

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

Color is a clearish coppery brown, medium sized head of light tan hue, fades slow to a thin puff and lace sticks in moth holed-sheets. Smell is roasted malts, somewhat hefty and heavy, sweet with solid caramel and toffee thats reminiscent of burnt cookies. Hop notes of deep pine. Mostly coming through as it warms. Taste has a good portion of sweet malts, caramel, lightly burnt, lightly earthy, hops come across late with a fairly nice bite and bitterness that lends some dried pineyness. Some spiced grab shows through in the finish along with a smidgon of alcohol thats a bit warming. Feel is medium bodied and has a light grainy texture with a hop kick in alot of the finish with a spicy note. Not bad for Redhook, I was expecting something lack luster, but the late kick this has kept me intrigued.

11-02-2003 17:49:05 | More by tavernjef
Contagion

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

When poured into the glass, it has a nice chestnut brown with garnet highlights. There is no cloudiness to it that can be detected. Light passes through the beer, but it is dark enough that you can't make out what is seen on the other side. When poured a thin tan head formed that turned into a film that lasted until I was finished with the beer. There was some lacing on the side of the glass.

The scent is mainly of dried dark fruits like prunes and raisins. A touch of citrus and the spicy bitterness of hops rounds off the smell. The first sip mainly consists of the taste combination of caramel malts and hops. There is a citrus hint and a touch of cloves to the finish. The flavor is kind of thin and watery.

This is a medium bodied beer that has a nice carbonation level to it.

It's pretty easy to drink. I wouldn't recommend it as a compliment to a meal. This is definitely a beer that one drinks by itself, preferably while sitting next to a warm fire in the accompaniment of friends. It's definitely one I would drink again, most likely on a special occasion.

12-04-2008 03:34:20 | More by Contagion
proc

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours out to a brownish, amber in the glass with a slight head. Aroma is that of malt and bread dough. Taste is that of light caramel, slight fruit and a nice dose of hops. Is this a winter beer or a Pale Ale? Even IPA-ish.

A good offering from Redhook. I'd drink this again.

12-22-2003 01:15:11 | More by proc
thekevlarkid

Maryland

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

This 2011/2012 version was sampled on tap (this is important because I’ve heard they change the recipe from year-to-year). The color was clear copper with a big khaki head that retained decently and left sliding spots of lacing. The aroma was not as spicy as it had been in the past, showcasing caramel malt and piney hops instead with only hints of clove. The flavors were a bit heavy on the herbal/piney hops at first with a caramel malt backbone and hints of toasted nuts and toffee behind that. The mouthfeel was average, the body medium and the carbonation mid-level. Not as spiced as many winter warmers which I found welcome though nothing amazing as a stand-alone brew either.

01-08-2012 17:42:02 | More by thekevlarkid
schoolboy

3.64/5  rDev +1.7%

So what the heck am I doing reviewing this in June? I know I've had this run of the mill brown ale before, but today I found a six marked way down. So how does it taste 8 months after the date on the bottle? Similar to the way it tasted in October, I think.

It is a typical brown color with very little head. The aroma is slightly pungent, it would be great if you cranked it up by a factor of 4. The taste is typical brown ale. There doesn't seem to be anything that distinguishes it as a winter warmer - no spice. It's malty but not strong.

The aftertaste is a similar malty, boring flavor.

So I got these really cheap in June, and I got what I paid for. When will I ever learn.

06-14-2014 22:45:27 | More by schoolboy
sgoodship

3.65/5  rDev +2%

My wife picked this up at the store. Sounded interesting. This is my first Redhook.

The beer is a dark red brown. There is a decent finger, late' colored head. There is some lacing but nothing to write home about.

The smell makes you think that there is some alcohol there. It's malty with bread, caramel, coffee and molasses.

The taste is quite like the smell. It's like a cross between a red and a porter. I don't like that too much because the bitter porter gets in the way of the sweeter, breadier malt and it's too weak to feel too much like a porter. The finish is a nice bite of hop and bitterness from coffee and molasses.

It's a pleasant enough brew but it's a little to o thin and watery at times.

11-22-2009 06:51:41 | More by sgoodship
Bung

3.65/5  rDev +2%

12oz. Medium amber/orange pour. Just a very thin layer of white.

Aroma, big citrus, milder toffee. A little piney.

Taste, Again, citrus and herbal notes up front. Some muddling fruitcake that doesn't really integrate very well. Some roasted malt, hazelnut saves it a bit. A very lift chocolate is in there as well before the herbal finish.

Light mid and drinks well. Alcohol is non existent. The flavors were just a bit of a miss for me, did improve a bit as it warmed.

10-27-2012 02:33:52 | More by Bung
CooperEllis

12oz bottle into .3l tulip bottled on 11-22-10

Excellent overall aroma, appearance combination. It has a dark amber body, perhaps a bit of ruby coloring in the right light, nice head that leaves solid lacing across the glass and through the entire pour.

Malty, grainy flavor. It is gentle and robust, full of a subtle sweetness that plays on the palate.

Mild mouthfeel, middling body. Seems a touch undercarbonated, but really it's certainly fine just not exceptional.

Very enjoyable overall, I think this will ultimately be viewed as a less than the sum of it's parts, but an easy to enjoy winter warmer.

(90th)

01-21-2011 03:02:07 | More by CooperEllis
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

3.65/5  rDev +2%

This beer poured a clear brown color with a thick head – light lacing. The aroma is mostly of malt with a slight touch of hops. The taste is spicy and hoppy with a nice malt background. The mouthfeel is full. This is an interesting beer that I’d consider easy to drink.

05-01-2007 21:55:20 | More by barefootbrewer
wiseguy142

3.65/5  rDev +2%

I don't consider my palette particularly developed, but after this beer I think I understand what it is for the malt to have a great relationship with the hops. I normally wouldn't really see the winter beer characteristics in this other than some spices that I'm picking up and the high drinkability, but you can knock back a 6 pack of these and feel refreshed (and drunk) instead of overwhelmed. Nice dark copper color. I enjoyed drinking it more straight out of the bottle than in the glass and I'll be buying it again next year.

12-26-2007 03:59:59 | More by wiseguy142
TastyTaste

3.65/5  rDev +2%

Pours a deep cola brown, slightly hazy, and 1" of tan head that fades fast. Smells of spicy grapefruit and raisins. Taste is very hop dominated, but there are some dark roasted malts and raisins. Mouthfeel is grainy and has relatively low levels of carbonation. Pretty robust winter beer, much better than most beers in the Redhook lineup.

05-09-2005 22:26:48 | More by TastyTaste
VaTechHopHead

3.65/5  rDev +2%

I talked to a representative from the brewery and they told me that Winterhook was Red Hook's "experimental" beer, and that they do something different every year. She told me that this year's concoction was a hoppier version of years past with some different flavors thrown in. So I did what any defenseless man conversing with an attractive young woman would do, I took her advice and bought a six-pack. After I tried one she was right about the hops....they were everywhere, smell and taste. Now I'm not complaining but the supposed "other flavors" I couldn't find. I seemed to me this beer was nothing more than a fine crafted micro-brew pale ale with some roasted malt thrown in for a nice dark color. Not a bad choice but there are better Red Hook beers out there.

11-15-2008 02:06:44 | More by VaTechHopHead
karst

Missouri

3.65/5  rDev +2%

Bottled on 9 29 04. Pours a deep ruby brown (28.9 SRM) with tan head that drops to a halo that unsuccessfully attempts to lace the Rastal sniffer. Aroma of nutty roasted malts with some fruity esters and Northern Brewer and Cascade hops is very inviting. Taste from combination of two different malts: Carmel 50/60 from England and a Munich malt provide a satisfying but some what surprizing balance for the hops (listed as 29.2 IBUs). Nice bitterness in aftertaste.

08-17-2005 18:33:43 | More by karst
AlCaponeJunior

3.65/5  rDev +2%

Well for a winter warmer this one isn't bad, but isn't fantastic either.

Golden copper with nice lacing but not much head. Small rising bubbles and perfect clarity.

Honestly, it smells like a lager with just a touch of spices. If this were a lager I'd rate the smell a bit higher, but for a winter warmer, average is the correct rating here.

The taste is actually pretty darn good. Smooth, sweet caramel malts with a very good but understated blend of spices, floral and tangerine hops flavors.

A complex aftertaste follows the medium bodied, slightly slick and coating feel of this brew. Very nice. Aftertaste is bittersweet and lingering, leaving floral spices behind for a good long while.

Drinks slightly above average for the style. I'd buy again, but not all the time. Would make a nice addition to a holiday dinner.

11-26-2010 17:51:13 | More by AlCaponeJunior
kgotcher

Colorado

3.65/5  rDev +2%

Pop top 12oz longneck. Dark amber color with a foamy tan head and nice looking lacings. Smell is toasted malt and light hops. This beer has a med to heavy body a bit of noticable alchohol and goes down with a bready finish. Flavor is toasty malt with a good amount of hops, piney and a bit of citrus.

This is a good beer overall, I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to find it but I wouldn't avoid it either.

09-24-2005 03:07:42 | More by kgotcher
ramseye4

3.65/5  rDev +2%

From the winter sampler pack
A=Pours a great looking dark copper color, the head is about a 1 finger that fades away fairly rapidly but the lacing is out of this world, the glass is nearly completely covered in it.
S=Not very strong smelling, some sweet malt, and a bit of hop.
T=A bit of spiced hop combines with the backbone of malt to make a well balanced yet simple taste. The hops rear their heads more in the aftertaste than anywhere else.
M=Medium bodied, good aftertaste
D=surprisingly filling, I'd stick to one or two of these in a night

Another offering from Redhook thats worth a look but not worth any sort of extra effort to obtain

12-29-2010 03:25:08 | More by ramseye4
scottum

Vermont

3.65/5  rDev +2%

Pours a deep red amber with a big llasting acey off-white head. Sweet on the malts and light on the hops. The balance is spot on. Mouthfeel is very smooth. The strength barely shows through. Certainly amoung the better beers by Redhook. Not over the top in flavor, but very eaasy to drink.

12-19-2003 19:30:51 | More by scottum
AshevilleSippin

Short Version:
Unremarkable but tasty ale that is crisp, well balanced, and quite drinkable.

Details:
OK, I confess this beer is a bit past it's prime. It's April and I'm finishing off my winter stock to make room for spring ales.

Poured a deep amber-brown sorrel color with a 1-finger dingy head. On the nose I get forward malt, light spice, and a slightly sour (but not unpleasant) hop essence.

I see some micro particulate suspended within causing some cloudiness. Lace is there but weak. Head has dropped to a ring with a scalloped cirrus cloud pattern scraped across the top.

Taste is malt-forward with a metallic hop tang. Caramel. Crisp indeed. I get a little roastiness but not much. Not tasting the spice I got a hint of on the nose. I wish I could. When I think "winter warmer" I'm thinking tangible spice. Pepper, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, orange peel, etc. Not getting that here. Finish is crisp and more hop-dominant than on the palate.

I'm getting a tasty but unremarkable middle-of-the-road ale. I'd buy it again and drink it again (good drinkability) but I can't get past a B grade on this one. Nothing about it really stands out.

04-02-2008 05:57:58 | More by AshevilleSippin
Bighuge

3.65/5  rDev +2%

Deep clear crimson in color. Medium sized creamy and dense boned white head. Retention is good and lacing is nice. This beer has got a bit of that dry hopped West Coast hop aroma that I love. Piney, citrusy and grapefruity. There is also some slight maltiness noted on the nose. While there is a caramel malt presence noted, this year's edition has more of a West Coast hop presence....the flavor and bitterness. Grapefruity and piney. Not too bad. Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated. Body about medium full. Yeah, this is an improvement over the last few years, but it's still not one I'm gonna run out and buy a 12 pack of every year.

12-13-2003 03:21:55 | More by Bighuge
BryanCarey

3.65/5  rDev +2%

Pouring to a dark brown color with tinges of red, Winterhook is nice in appearance. It has a good level of foam and lacing and it offers a nose of citrus, pine, and malty toffee.

Moving to the taste, Winterhook impresses even more. This winter warmer has a flavor similar to what the nose leads you to expect, but with greater intensity. It does have flavors of citrus, pine, and toffee, but I can also detect other flavors like bread, earthy hops, and even a touch of chocolate, tea, and herbs. The complexity is greater than expected and the beer remains reasonably smooth.

Winterhook reinvented itself this year as Winterhook #29 and this seasonal brew is among the better ones I have tasted in the series. You don’t get the nutmeg/cinnamon and other spices like you commonly taste in the typical winter seasonal. This is a more straight- forward beer without the holiday additives. I like it more and more with each passing sip and I think it is safe to say that most guests at your next holiday party will feel the same. Give it sampling and enjoy the taste of the season, courtesy of Redhook.

12-07-2013 02:45:23 | More by BryanCarey
DJW

Washington

Bought the last bottle on the shelf at Redmond Trader Joe's. And the brief:
Appearance: med-dark amber or deep copper - clear, w/ a decent head, and lacing still on my empty glass. I thought the beer would pour a darker color.

Smell: light malts and some Cascade hops... more on the citrus hop side of things to my schnoz, but I'm getting over a cold. Inviting (the beer, not the cold).

Taste: nice balance between caramel malts and the hops, with a little biscuity sweetness peeking in at times only to be brought back by the firm hop presence. Finish is lightly bitter and made me salivate ("watery"), which made me want to take another sip.

Overall Thoughts/Opinions: nice and pleasant but not freaking amazing. I think this little option would fit more in a NW IPA category rather than a Winter Warmer, but who am I to advise Redhook? I'll have to try a Jubelale, Snowcap, Celebration, and Sammy Smith Winter Welcome in the near future to see if the Winterhook is more like an IPA or if my preferences/familiarities have changed.

12-01-2010 06:02:41 | More by DJW
Nerudamann

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - Red color, clear, with about a finger's worth of light beige-colored foam. Good carbonation.

Smell - light malty smell, but with the hint of hops. Maybe a hint of nuts.

Taste and Mouthfeel - Malty/Nutty taste at the beginning, sweetness in the middle, and bitterness from the hops at the finish. Texture is a little on the creamier side.

Drinkability - Not a bad brew. A little bitter, but not too much, just right for my taste buds. It seems a little light actually for a Winter Warmer, but the nutty flavor does bring out a bit more fuller quality.

01-05-2011 06:38:31 | More by Nerudamann