Redhook Winterhook - Redhook Ale Brewery

good

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

Regardless of whether you spend your winter months on the slopes, shoveling your driveway or just hiding out, Redhook Winterhook is a great way to chase off the winter chill. This year will be our 27th consecutive release of Winterhook. The recipe changes slightly every winter because nobody likes getting the exact same Holiday present year after year. Redhook’s 27th brew of Winterhook has roasted chocolate notes that smooth out the quick, spicy hop finish. The rich body and nutty, malty backbone make this winter ale slighty naughty and very nice.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Winterhook Alström Bros
erwin08

3.18/5  rDev -11.2%

A: pours a transparent red/brown with minimal head and lacing.

S: smells malty with hints of carmel and fruit

T: this is a winter? much lighter than i expected. malty/carmel taste to it with very slighty hoppiness.

M: again much thinner, smoother, and lighter than i expected from a winter.

D: very drinkable. doesn't pack the punch of most winter beers. not what i had expected, but by no means a bad beer.

OVERALL: A tasty beer from Redhook. Not your typical winter, but still a very drinkable beer with a winter twist. Worth a taste.

01-18-2008 04:07:02 | More by erwin08
Floydster

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%

12 ounce bottle that was purchased as a part of a six pack at Ralphs for around seven dollars

Poured into my Ommegang glass with a reddish brown color and a slighly off white head that was about a half inch, not much retention and very little lacing

Smell was bready malt aromas, some mild hoppiness, caramel, some fig, other dark fruits, and some scents

Taste was chewy from the beginning with some nice hoppy accents to balance it out, some berry flavors throughout, the finish was pretty dry and only got a little sweeter once the beer warmed, caramel flavor that was identified in the aroma was a nice part of its taste, definitely had an amber-like malt character, subtle and a taste that kept me coming back for more

Body was really thin for a winter warmer, I prefer them much thicker personally, good level of carbonation, but the taste did not last long

Could drink three or four of these before I got really full from its heaviness, alcohol percentage is not very high but this beer would get old after a while

One of the better beers I have had from Red Hook, certainly not the best winter beer I tasted this year but not too bad, recommended mainly because it is so inexpensive

01-17-2008 16:47:11 | More by Floydster
homebrewhawk

Kansas

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

12oz brown bottle served in a shaker pint. Pours a clear gold/amber with a sparse white head. Some malt in the aroma with a little of the trademark Redhook diacetyl. Pretty thin in the body. Crisp hop bitterness. A little butteryness and bready malt. Decent hop finish. Not that exciting, more of a bland amber than a true hearty winter beer.

01-10-2008 01:35:35 | More by homebrewhawk
Stimack

3.68/5  rDev +2.8%

Was able to give this brew a try last evening, actually had a few back earlier in December. This brew poured to a nice deep copper color with a good sized (what I would call) light tan head that had ample retention leaving a nice amount of lace chunks down the side of the glass. The aroma had a nice malt smell to it, which really seemed to have a toasted property. I would also say that caramel shines through with a nice slight spice to it. The taste, while not being stupendous has a very good quality to it, it is very easy drinking as the malt properties lead to a nice flavor. Caramel comes to mind quickly with a slight nut flavor. Seems to be a bit dry. I will say that I am surprised that this is considered a winter warmer, to me it seems like a simple pale ale that is well balanced. This would be a fine session brew although at 6.1% could get you in trouble, but to me that is the feel of this one. Not a bad brew, just not a winter warmer, but what the hell do I know.

01-08-2008 20:46:38 | More by Stimack
PhageLab

Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Amber brown, yet transparent brew with a decent head. Very minimal amounts of lacing left behind.

S - Caramel malt aroma, bit of toastiness, pleasant, yet weak.

T - Almost like a nut brown light. Very faint flavor profile of malt, sweet caramel notes, and some mild spice. Pretty one sided.

M - Thin bodied. Mild carbonation. No aftertastes or residues.

D - Average across the board. Pretty forgettable overall. Not bad by any means, just not anything to seek out. Redhook can do better.

01-08-2008 19:08:19 | More by PhageLab
Phocion

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Winter Lager miniature-nonic type glass. Pours a semi-transparent golden/copper color with a massive rocky off-white head which sinks into about one finger before holding very nicely.

Aroma is a nice balance of caramel and toasted malts and a bit of a floral and herbal hoppiness. Nice balance and it smells fairly warm, but not terribly complex.

The aroma wasn't too bad, but when this thing hits my lips it is, in a word, bland. Mildly dry and a slightly bitter aftertaste, but there's just not a whole lot here.

Medium-bodied and fairly crisp, but when I think of a winter warmer I tend to think of something that will be...well, warm. This just doesn't do it. Not quite heavy enough to do the trick, but still thick enough and with a high enough ABV to make a poor session beer. Nothing terrible, but nothing too impressive either. This is definitely an average beer that I will probably not bother to revisit.

01-07-2008 01:12:58 | More by Phocion
kosmoraios

Washington

3.18/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a clear red-copper color into an Imperial pint glass. Much carbonation, bubbles are clearly visible. Insignificant white head fades to nothing within 30 seconds, leaving a bit of a ring. No lacing.

Aroma is subtle, with hints of light toffee and walnuts.

Taste is also quite understated. Caramel, cashews, figs. Nicely balanced malt/hops. A drinkable ale.. but not what I'd consider a winter warmer. I think this is closer in style to an American Red/Amber ale.

Mouthfeel is very light and well carbonated. Very drinkable, even sessionable ale, but nothing exceptional about it.

01-05-2008 23:44:34 | More by kosmoraios
Hollenbeck2

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -7%

this is a good winter warmer especially on these dreary winter rainy and sometimes snowy days here in the willamette valley, not one of my favorite winter beers, not as smooth as some of the others that I have tasted.

the color is a deep nutty color, not quite as dark as some of the other winter ales I have sampled this year.

hints of mocha and maybe caramel, but it is sometimes hard for me to distinguish.

There is malt I think. and the hops are not overbearing.

01-05-2008 19:58:11 | More by Hollenbeck2
dsa7783

3.88/5  rDev +8.4%

First brew from the Redhook Brewery, and I am not dissapointed... their winter warmer is a decent stab at the style... appearance was a nice caramel color with a minimal head... taste was about average for a winter warmer... a little caramel sweetness on the palate with some spices present, maybe cinnamon, but a little more bland compared to some other winter warmers I've sampled... I was pretty satisfied though, having copped a single 12oz bottle from Wine and More in West Orange for about $1.79... at 6%, there was a nice alcohol glow pervading from the drink, and the sweetness lingered on the mouth for a bit... great drinkability and the alcohol is hardly noticeable behind a sweet finish... Recommended...

12-27-2007 00:44:14 | More by dsa7783
wiseguy142

3.65/5  rDev +2%

I don't consider my palette particularly developed, but after this beer I think I understand what it is for the malt to have a great relationship with the hops. I normally wouldn't really see the winter beer characteristics in this other than some spices that I'm picking up and the high drinkability, but you can knock back a 6 pack of these and feel refreshed (and drunk) instead of overwhelmed. Nice dark copper color. I enjoyed drinking it more straight out of the bottle than in the glass and I'll be buying it again next year.

12-26-2007 03:59:59 | More by wiseguy142
berserker256

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

Nice dark dark copper appearance with decent head. Gives off a semi-sweet aroma that reminds me of Sam Adams Winter Lager. I think I detect some dried-fruit-like flavors such as prunes and raisins along with the roasted malt. Decent beer. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for this beer right now or something but it doesn't really pique my interests or my taste buds all that much to make me want more and more. It's OK.

12-24-2007 19:46:48 | More by berserker256
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

Pours a deep chocolaty opaque brown; tan head has fine bubbles and persists some. Aroma is rich and creamy and fairly malty with strong hints of spice and coffee. Flavor is mainly malty and has a roast coffee overtone and hints of spice and hops. Very smooth, perfect for the winter holidays.

12-23-2007 23:38:56 | More by Cyberkedi
champ103

3.83/5  rDev +7%

A: A deep copper/red color. It has a great head with lots of sticky lace.
S: Sweet malt with some dark fruit flavors (raisins and plumbs) and nice floral hops.
T: Similar to the nose with dark fruits and some peach, but much more hop bitterness than I was expecting. Very good overall.
M/D: I found this very watery and thin in the mouth. There is no coating of the mouth that is present in many other winter warmers. Though, it is very drinkable. The low ABV for the style helps in this department.

A nice winter warmer. Not as "big" as some other beers of this style. That is not a bad thing at all, actually that is what I like most about it. The people at Redhook did not try to over do this beer, and what you get is a very drinkable and tasty brew.

12-23-2007 06:10:41 | More by champ103
Jason

4.2/5  rDev +17.3%

One winter seasonal that I have probably seen the most improvement over the years is Winterhook. Its been around since 1985 in one form or another but seems to be on the stable path for several years now. Bright clarity off of the deep copper color brew, awesome looking lacing as it leaves a web like trail down the glass. Malty aroma of toasted grain and caramel, hint of floral and grassy hops as well. The smoothness is certainly there with a small crispness that drops off quick in the medium body. Spicy, herbal and bit time floral hop flavor don a balanced bitterness that lingers far into the drying finish.

High in drinkability, flavorful and a bit complex yet approachable enough to bring to a holiday party. By far its one of my favorites each year.

12-18-2007 04:13:24 | More by Jason
MSchae1017

Georgia

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

This beer pours into a typical pint glass from the 12oz bottle. The beer is golden-amber with a small off white head that leaves a small ring and laces only a bit. The smell is slightly hoppy displaying citrus notes and has a bit of a biscuity and breadyness to it. The taste is almost all pale malts with the same malt profile as the smell adn a touch of hops on teh finish. THe mouthfeel is full bodied with some lingering syrupyness. Overall seems more like an blonde or an APA, and not my favorite as it seams a bit amatuerish with the way it is all put together.

12-13-2007 22:05:53 | More by MSchae1017
andrewm190

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

A nice copper colored ale. You can definitely smell the malts. The beer has a nice malty flavor combined with some sweetness. It has a nice clean finish, nice balance, and nothing, including the alcohol, is overwhelming. I give it high marks, although there is nothing exceptional in the taste, it is decent, and the clean finish leaves you wanting another swig. Its a nice little sixer to pick up.

12-13-2007 06:53:47 | More by andrewm190
OWSLEY069

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a clean copper/ orange-ish color, with a white head. In the aroma, a sweet, sugary fruitiness. In the taste, malty, and a very sugary corriander taste. A big body, with a small bite in the mouthfeel, and a dry sugary, orange-ish aftertaste. Kind of candy like, and a nice body.

12-11-2007 16:47:31 | More by OWSLEY069
dteal1

Louisiana

I'm having this one at room temperature. It pours amber with not much of a head. I can smell the spice in it, but just barely. Tastes bitter and dry, slightly spicy. Mouthfeel was smooth and aptly warming. Drinkable? Not very. Too dry. Too boring. Not as good as the Anchor Christmas for sure.

12-09-2007 05:00:43 | More by dteal1
Gambrinus1184

Connecticut

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

Served on-tap at the Playwright in Hamden, Conn.

A: Poured a very clean-looking amber-brown with a fluffy head of dense off-white foam. Not too dark for what's supposed to be a winter warmer.

S: Smells of faint, musty pine needle hops and sweet caramel malts. A little spicy zest on the nose.

T: Tastes remarkably hoppy for a winter warmer; yum! The finish is nice, cinnamon spice and sweet caramel malt, with a little toasted corn husk flavor. Strange balance for a winter warmer, but I liked it.

M: Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and the rich, spicy finish will satisfy.

D: I had a couple of these, and probably could have had more. The ABV over 6% and the sweet malt/bitter hop balance with spices added is a great drinking combo.

I really hope to find a 6-pack off the Winterhook soon, or at least get three in a mixed twelve. It's a good winter warmer, though those who don't want something so hoppy may be turned off. A nice winter warmer for hopheads, though.

12-06-2007 05:36:50 | More by Gambrinus1184
terrabyte

Wisconsin

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a clear, tannish copper color with a small off-white head.

Aroma has a slight wiff of hops and grain. Very little of each.

Taste has a nice, mild, hop flavor. As a person who isn't a huge hop fan, this sits well with me. There is a very small amount of grain flavor (I can't pin it down, due to the hops) but it is consistent and lasts a long time.

Mouthfeel is ok. Slightly over-carbonated, starts to get bubbly on the tongue. Only slightly sticky, not bad compared to other hoppy beers.

Drinkability is very high. A pleasing, mild hoppy beer that is really enjoyable with each sip. I'd order this again if I was faced without stouts on tap. As other shave mentioned, I'm not sure why this is called a winter seasonal. No spices, no heaviness, nothing wintery about it. No matter when it comes out though, this isn't bad from Redhook, a brewer I usually skip over.

12-02-2007 20:57:16 | More by terrabyte
mashedpotatoes

3.58/5  rDev 0%

A decent ale but slightly below average for a winter brew. Very drinkable but otherwise uneventful. Nothing really stands out in the way of winter additives of typical spices. Slightly hoppy and bright on the top end, finishes with a bit of zing. Decent head and lacing. A very brash pour caused a huge 2 inch head but it held its own and brought itself down quick. This is a very drinkable beer but definitely not best in class. Go with CBC winter Warmer or Great Lakes Christmas Ale (best in class).

12-02-2007 05:15:33 | More by mashedpotatoes
Traquairlover

3.33/5  rDev -7%

12-oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled 101007.

A = Clear amber color, small head made up of smallish bubbles, light lacing.

S = Light notes of roasted malt, hay, very slight spice aromas. I like the smell but it does not seem like that of a winter ale but really more like a normal American pale ale. At that it is perhaps a little too subdued, but pleasant, I give it above average because I consider average to be pretty much unremarkable, not bad, not good. This is good, just not much of a punch.

T = Taste is pretty average. I could not really detect much reason that this would be classified a Winter Ale. I detect VERY slight hints of nutmeg and cinnamon, at least I think I do, there is some sort of spice but it is so light, I even question exactly what it is I am tasting. As a straightforward ale, it is definitely drinkable but not exceptional in any way.

M = Very smooth mouthfeel. Medium body and the carbonation seemed like it was building up but when I swallowed I had a smooth even liquid not an explosive gas explosion.

D = I wasn't sure where to score this in terms of drinkability. If your measure is whether it is exceptional enough that you would look forward to having it again, I would give it at best an average rating. If you want to know is it good enough that you could drink it all night without complaints, it is perfectly fine and I would give it at least a good rating. In the end I came out in between. I will probably have this again and would pick it over many other beers available, but in the end it just isn't special enough for me rate it too much above average.

11-30-2007 01:48:23 | More by Traquairlover
YonderWanderer

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

A: Pours a copper color with little head to it.

S: A bit of caramel malt and some piney hops, but not much to the nose with this one.

T: The taste is similar to the nose. A nice balance to the malt and hops, but neither really come to the forefront. Blends nicely, but I would like a bit more of both in this.

M: A little thinner than I would have liked. It was okay, but could be better.

D: This is a decent winter ale. There are much better ones out there though. I had it on cask at the brewery, so that was cool, but I wouldn't otherwise go out of my way for it.

11-26-2007 13:59:34 | More by YonderWanderer
dnichols

Washington

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

I was poured a pitcher in a plastic container that we then poured into a 12 ounce frosted mug.

A: The beer poured a clear amber body with a 1 1/2 finger white head made up of sticky dense medium sized bubbles. The head had decent retention and supported a thin even curtain that marched down the side of the glass.

S: The initial aroma is dominated by lightly roasted sweet malts, floral hops and a bubblegum like odor that gives the impression of a sweet candy.

T: The taste is dominated by floral piny and grassy hops that also generate light white spice flavors. The hops are complemented by sweet malts with white bread yeasts and light brown sugars.

M: It was light bodied, thin and dry with balanced carbonation and a distinctly sour back side flavor.

D: It was a decent brew with a moderate ABV but a bit more bite and piny flavors than I typically enjoy.

11-20-2007 21:23:21 | More by dnichols
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

Let's see what 07's offering yields:

Pours coppery/orange with 3 fingers of sand colored head. Above average head retention

S: Breadyness & slight citric hops

T: Breadyness with orangey hops up front. Some piney hops as this warms along with a bit of brown sugar, dryness & grapefruitty hops. Finishes dry & crisp

MF: Medium bodied with low carbonation & pretty good balance

Drinks good, makes me think APA vice winter warmer, but is still pretty tasty. I'd take this over their IPA or ESB any day!

11-18-2007 23:04:52 | More by russpowell