Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Redhook Winterhook - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook WinterhookRedhook Winterhook

good

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2003

Regardless of whether you spend your winter months on the slopes, shoveling your driveway or just hiding out, Redhook Winterhook is a great way to chase off the winter chill. This year will be our 27th consecutive release of Winterhook. The recipe changes slightly every winter because nobody likes getting the exact same Holiday present year after year. Redhook’s 27th brew of Winterhook has roasted chocolate notes that smooth out the quick, spicy hop finish. The rich body and nutty, malty backbone make this winter ale slighty naughty and very nice.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Winterhook Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +14.6%

Brewed 11/13 at the brewery in New Hampshire.

Poured into a pint glass and watched a good finger-and-a-half of textured khaki head mount itself on top of a clear and copper body. It's cool to see pretty lacing and nice head retention on this style of beer.

Smells like clove, wood, warming alcohol. Nice bitterness in the taste that doesn't come through so much on the smell. I like how this beer isn't too spiced up - it's a warmer for sure, but it finishes clean (maybe even dry) and it's not overly sweet. Leaves a nice taste.

This is the best beer I've tried from Redhook and a great one in the style. I liked it more than Great Lakes Christmas Ale. (657 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The first thing you notice on this beer is the gorgeous pour. A rich, dark-medium brown with many bubbles which move more slowly than usual, probably because of the relatively high gravity. Develops a finger of head or so which dissapates quickly leaving only a thin sheen. Sadly the appearance is the high point, but the beer is pretty good overall.

Initial smell is something like grass clippings, burnt popcorn and gasoline, but I mean that in the best possible way. Maybe a tinge of cigar smoke as well. Is doesn't smell much, but it doesn't smell bad either.

Taste is difficult to pin down. Initially a bit sour, quickly sweetening up with the malt and then finishing with the carbonation and a small kick of hops. The hops lingers, as does the feeling of having just taken a sip of ale.

The mouthfeel is thick and a little heavy, really pretty nice depending on what you're after. Lingers a bit longer than I'd like, but that's just preference.

Overall I'm sorry to say that the beer is good but not great. Would I drink it? Oh yeah. Two? Sure. As many as you've got? Probly. All I'm saying is that there are better ales out there for the money. Either pony up the extra $1 for Sierra Nevada or grab some Redhook IPA. Ok, maybe buy this one once and see if it does it for you. (1,296 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

Overall, a nice beer to have throught the winter months (as the name would suggest) Bready, spicy aroma with somewhat of a fruited undertone. Appears a ruddy brown color, seems to glow under bar room lighting. Hints of spices are laced throughout the breadiness of this beer. Overall, for a winter "heavier" beer, its incredibly easy to drink. Could session it. Great beer to try, would be a hit even with not craft brew afficianados. (434 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -7%

this is a good winter warmer especially on these dreary winter rainy and sometimes snowy days here in the willamette valley, not one of my favorite winter beers, not as smooth as some of the others that I have tasted.

the color is a deep nutty color, not quite as dark as some of the other winter ales I have sampled this year.

hints of mocha and maybe caramel, but it is sometimes hard for me to distinguish.

There is malt I think. and the hops are not overbearing. (469 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

I started drinking this at my local watering hole since the other options aren't much better (bud, miller, Mich., and other various macros), however I was really impressed with this season's Winter brew ... especially the nose.
It pours a nice rich amber with a very thin white head. Depending on the cleanliness of the glassware (which is usually 50/50 at my local dive) it usually leaves a nice Belgian lace down the side of the glass.
The nose is a wonderfully sharp citrus that really gets one's senses going. It's a bit of a tease though since the taste and mouthfeel are much less satisfying than the nose would leave one to believe.
It has a smooth taste with little or no spice, which makes me wonder how this is truly considered a winter warmer other than the fact that it comes out at ... you guessed it, wintertime. I would say the best description of its taste is a more full bodied lager.
The mouthfeel is a bit watery (though this could be due to the bar's tap system) and the carbonation is not shooting up the glass as I've seen with other brews.
Though not as complex as other winter styles, this is an "old faithful". If your bar doesn't offer anything too interesting this is always a good call. I like to pair this one up with a nice side of Rye to get me through the cold weather ... it matches nicely. (1,331 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

A: Deep clear amber with a thick off-white head.

S: Spicey, piney hops, as well as some sweet caramel.

T: Sweet caramel noticed first, then toasted grains. Hops flavor with slight bitternes in the finish. Nice balance.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation.

D: Smooth, well balanced beer. No harshness present. Easy to drink. (331 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer pours a lovely dark copper color with a small head that leaves little lace. Smells malty with spice, like a winter warmer should Tastes the same. Strong malt flavor followed by the spices. But not too spiced like the Widmer Brrr....Winterhook is balanced perfectly. Very good beer, albeit a bit on the thin side. An easy drinking beer. Very good stuff. (362 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -27%

dark ruby beer with only a few little bubbles on the edges, wanting to be at least a small head. aroma is of sharp malts. taste is flat, a rush of bitterness with a similar finish, and a mildly sweet aftertaste. rather one dimensional. mouthfeel is a bit flat and thin. there is just a bit of that "english ale" taste wanting to get out, but it's far in the background, along with a smidge of dark cherry.
i'd recommend grabbing something better. (447 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

When I lived in Seattle, I drank a heck of a lot of Redhook. At the time, they were operating a brewery down in Fremont, so I always considered them local to a degree. Winterhook was a pretty standard beer for me during the colder months and I remember liking it quite a bit.

That said, now that I'm living in Mass. and trying the 2006 Winterhook, I have to say that the shine seems to have come off the apple, so to speak.

Appearance is distinctly ice tea-esque. Clearer than a winter should be if you want to ask my opinion. I know they filter this stuff, but this is overly clear. Almost no head to speak of either, even though I made a point of pouring it vigorously.

Smell is ok. Hops are predominant, but there's a slightly carmel sweetness underlying.

Hops are larger in the mouth than I remember them being in this 2006 version of Winterhook. I remember a much more spicy, malty brew than what I have here. It's not bad, but it's not great either. Relatively well balanced considering the large hop nose.

Mouthfeel is smooth, but with some degree of wateryness considering the style.

While it's not my favorite beer, I could drink a few of these in a sitting with no problem. In fact, I've been known to do just that. In fact, I may very well do that right now... (1,291 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

A decent ale but slightly below average for a winter brew. Very drinkable but otherwise uneventful. Nothing really stands out in the way of winter additives of typical spices. Slightly hoppy and bright on the top end, finishes with a bit of zing. Decent head and lacing. A very brash pour caused a huge 2 inch head but it held its own and brought itself down quick. This is a very drinkable beer but definitely not best in class. Go with CBC winter Warmer or Great Lakes Christmas Ale (best in class). (501 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured a rich amber-red, with a one-finger light brown foamy head that dissipated almost immediately. Just a skiff of foam was left on top.

The aroma is full of pine hops and a sweet malt underbelly. Nicely balanced and enticing. I really like the smell on this one. Not too aggressive, but very appealing.

A touch of malt sweetness hits first, but is quickly overcome by hop bitterness. The taste is not as appealing as the aroma, but it's still very nice. The hops here retain the pine character, and are a bit woody in the finish. Nice bitter aftertaste, and a touch of warmth from the alcohol.

It's pleasant on the palate - not light, certainly, but not a big full-bodied beer, either.

This is really, really nice. I'll be coming back to this one, and not just for winter. (788 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: Dark brown with a slight reddish hue. Good carbonation with a solid head and slight lacing.

Aroma: Slight caramel, slight malt. Almost picked up a slight oxidized note. I assume that it is due to the age of this beer so I will not take this into account in rating. Not much aroma, however.

Taste: Tastes of slight malt with good green hop notes. Sharp bitterness notes with a little linger.

Mouthfeel: Very light crisp without much body. Carbonation is clean and crisp. I excepted alot more body in a winter warmer. I also expected alot more winter spice (cinnamon, allspice, etc)

Drinkablity: Not very close to the style guidlines but it is good and drinkable. (687 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Has a golden light brown color with a small head retention mostly around the edge of the glass.

S: A very clean flower and hop smell with just a hint of malt.

T: The very sweet flower flavor comes on at first and then the full hop body takes over with a minuscule malty background flavor. The overall taste is aromatic and sweet with a slight bitterness but it has a well balanced hops profile.

M: It has a full body that is slightly creamy, yet dry from the hoppy flower flavor.

O: This beer is a definite must try. It is has an exclusive floral taste that is well complimented with its strong hop profile. The value of this beer is also great, the flavor of this beer is very worth a price. (699 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap @ The Cock n' Bull 11/26/03 - Cool snowglobe tap handle .

Appearance is deep copper that's clear and clean.Well displayed head that settled slowly.A nice hop aroma with a presence of fruits,malt,nuts and a bit of spruce.I was expecting more of theses same flavors in the taste, but it turned out to be a little underpowered.Mouthfeel is a bit on the watery side as well.All in all, a nice, tame seasonal that's worth a try. (433 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +33.7%

This has got to be one of the best winter seasonals on the market, that no one cares about.

This beer pours an amber color not to light and not to dark.

Great taste not to hoppy not to malty, which adds to the drinkablity of this beer.

Unlike many other winter beers this does not have that heavy alchol after taste.

This ale is great for the novice or the snob, and makes a great beer to take to grandma's house for Christmas dinner for all to enjoy. (455 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured into a tulip...because I'm fancy.
Also I let Red Hook brew breath for about ten minutes. Just tend to enjoy it more that way.

A: Very nice crystal clear mahoghany. tiny amounts of head, but not anytihng alarming. Bubbling very jovially through the glass.

S: This is new! I get kind of a minty note here. Like when my bro makes Mint tea or something. I know that isn't in it, but that is the cool smell I'm getting...at least tonight.

T: The aftertaste is very refreshing. I know that isn't the prefered phrase you want to here, but it is. I suppose it is that light mint note. Anyway very well balanced malt flavor, and that trademark Red Hook bitterness.

M: Nothing wrong with it, nothing spectacular. I just don't get excited when a beer is appropriate...sorry

D: I am all for getting another 6er of this. That really is the best way to tell if you enjoy a beer. Will I be buying this again? You betcha! (917 characters)

Appearance is a deep, rich amber - poured from a 12oz bottle with a half inch head, lacing was solid throughout the sipping process.

Hop-heavy on the aroma; piney, slightly spicy hop aroma. Toasty, roasty aromas from the malt.

The taste is quite enjoyable; a bit stark, hops taste like Chinook and other things piney - this one reminds me like a tamed down "Big Foot" from Sierra Nevada. Nice caramel undertones to carry the heavy hopping on this one.

Mouthfeel is done well; a lot of malt and hop punch without weighing the tongue down too much in syrupy weightiness - the weight is just about right.

Overall - worth a try - at least worth getting a 6er - if you like hoppy, big flavored beers. (699 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Good looking dark brown/bronze beer. Good head and lacing.

Nice smell. Rich malts.

Smooth taste. Fairly heavy body, but not overly so. Malty but not too malty. Enough hops to keep the taste interesting. Its an oldish bottle so a sliiight hint of oxidation is starting to sneak in, but that isn't the beers fault.

Good mouthfeel. Rich and filling.

Very pleasurable to drink, esp for a beer with the body it has.

A lovely winter beer. Smooth and rich yet semi-sessionable.
It isn't a great beer but it is a good one. Similar to a less hoppy Pyramid SnowCap. (560 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Amber in color with an off-wide head—very nice looking. It has a malty aroma that reminds me of a pilsner lager. Flavor of sweet and caramel malts with a very subtle hop presence. Light to medium bodied, medium carbonation, and a dry finish. Very drinkable.

Winterhook is a nice beer that I think most would enjoy. However, it's not memorable. Given the light hop flavor, I never would have guessed that Redhook used 4 hop varieties. Lastly, I don't understand what makes it a winter seasonal. It's a very middle-of-the-road beer that doesn't offer anything unique or different. (582 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -12.6%

The appearance was a very nice reddish brown color; clear, with a moderate head.

I did not notice much of an aroma, maybe a little hops.

There is a definite hop bitterness to this beer but not as bitter as an IPA. The flavor is a spicy earthy taste that is interesting. I'm not sure about it, but I went back for another one.

The mouthfeel is good, not overly carbonated. My overall impression is that it is a decent representation of a winter ale, something you could drink while watching football. (509 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A - Pours a slightly hazy orangish/light copper color. A tint above a typical pale lager. Heading was practically not there and not much lacing.

S - Sweet malt is a dominant smell with a nutty like characteristic. No hop aromas...and there's a holiday spice in the mix.

T - Bitter upfront to start. Almost getting a citrusy kick towards the middle. Perhaps a grapefruit type citrus. And towards the end, you're left with a strong bready cracker taste.

M - Light to Medium bodied. Not a bad brew in the bunch that i've tried for Christmas.

D - It's a bit on the bitter side, but it's definitely one to sip on and enjoy while watching the snow outside.

It's not an above average beer, but after sampling all the watery beers i've had today, it tastes like a champion. (815 characters)

Served in a glass.

A: Pours a very thick head with lots of carbonation. Head dissipates very slowly and leaves some lacing. Color of beer is dark amber with little carbonation.

S: Malt/hops, citrus, caramel smell. Smell is noticeable, not great, but not bad.

T: Hops, citrus, caramel, and slight chocolate flavor. Flavors blend well, well enough that the chocolate is barely detectable (to me). A little bitter (but not bad) for a supposed ale.

M: Slightly thick but smooth as well as slightly syrupy.

D: Nothing about it would put me off from another, but then again the flavor and everything else isn't necessarily enough to make want another, if that isn't contradictory.

Fits the winter warmer style nicely. It is certainly distinct though. I like it, but compared to the other winter warmer I've had (Alaskan Winter Ale/Warmer) I prefer the latter.
Overall decent for a winter warmer. Would drink it again but wouldn't necessarily buy it again. (955 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Short Version:
Unremarkable but tasty ale that is crisp, well balanced, and quite drinkable.

Details:
OK, I confess this beer is a bit past it's prime. It's April and I'm finishing off my winter stock to make room for spring ales.

Poured a deep amber-brown sorrel color with a 1-finger dingy head. On the nose I get forward malt, light spice, and a slightly sour (but not unpleasant) hop essence.

I see some micro particulate suspended within causing some cloudiness. Lace is there but weak. Head has dropped to a ring with a scalloped cirrus cloud pattern scraped across the top.

Taste is malt-forward with a metallic hop tang. Caramel. Crisp indeed. I get a little roastiness but not much. Not tasting the spice I got a hint of on the nose. I wish I could. When I think "winter warmer" I'm thinking tangible spice. Pepper, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, orange peel, etc. Not getting that here. Finish is crisp and more hop-dominant than on the palate.

I'm getting a tasty but unremarkable middle-of-the-road ale. I'd buy it again and drink it again (good drinkability) but I can't get past a B grade on this one. Nothing about it really stands out. (1,151 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +14%

WILL KEEP YOU WARM ON THE COLDEST WINTER NIGHTS

Appearance: Pours a nice, reddish-copper color. Clean, but not transparent. Has a decent, light tan head which goes down somewhat rapidly and leaves a good amount of foamy lacing on the glass.

Smell: Very strong on the nose, you can smell it as soon as you pop off the cap. Has a floral, hoppy smell, with some caramel and malt. Grains are in there as well. Wasn't bad, but not as good as the...

Taste: Nummy!!! This beer has a warm, toasty taste that you can literally feel going down. Tastes like buttered bread with a nice malt and some bitter hops. More sweet then bitter, with a slight detection of fruit. Very, very good.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and slightly thick, with a litte carbonation that tingles on the tongue. Doesn't lose its creamy feel on the palate after being in your mouth for a few seconds. The aftertaste is not a far cry from the taste itself, just a bit more suttle.

Drinkability: This is a great beer, and one of the best that Redhook has to offer. This is ideal to sip on a cold, winter night. Whether sitting in front of the fireplace or under a blanket watching a movie, this is a brew that matches up perfectly. If you're not a big
fan of the winter season, this is a damn good reason to look forward to it. (1,284 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Great bottle design pours a darker amber shade with a beige or light brown head that didn't last long but had nice cling on the glass.

The aroma is primarily hoppy to me but there are also faint traces of herbs/spices like mint and juniper and a detectable pine element. The taste is sharp, with a persistent spice component down the hatch (may be alcohol-based).

Overall, the balance isn't impressive but the taste is rather unique and its easy to see how appropriate this beer serves as a seasonal offering. (515 characters)

Redhook Winterhook from Redhook Ale Brewery