Join our email list →

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States | website

American IPA | 6.20% ABV

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,155 | Hads: 3,158

Ba Review #200
Served On: 07/24/2012
Glassware: Pint Glass
Labeled ABV: -
Date/ Code: 02/09/2012

This was from a 6-pack I picked up at Dewey Beach Liquors while on vacation in coastal Delaware.

Look: Very clear light copper. Almost a gold color. Head was a 1-finger of beige off-white foam. Quickly reduced down to a film with some patchy head lacing. Carbonation bubbles almost nonexistent.

Smell: Virtually nothing happening in the nose. Maybe some very faint sweet malt notes. That was about it.

Taste: An extremely light palate on this one. First off was a very faint floral hop note. Then some light sweetness. Finish and aftertaste was very clean. This beer drinks like a light English IPA rather than an American IPA.

I can't say this beer was that great to me. It was extremely drinkable and I would definitely prefer this over a macro-lager of course. Other than that, not real impressive.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this one at Marbar in Philly. Probably stale, with a very metallic smell. Not too much head though what was of it stuck around. The taste was pretty dry and not as bitter as I like my IPA's. Pretty weak taste overall, even watery. Probably trying to appeal to people who really shouldn't be drinking an IPA. Not for anyone who can handle the strength of Dogfish 90min. Not awful, just not for the serious.

144th review on BA
Bottle to pint

*left over from Christmas eve that brother in law brought over*

App- This was a darker yellow with a 1/2 in head that had some nice lacing.

Smell- A little funky on this one. Spicy with some citrus I think was grapefruit or nectarine?

Taste- Much more malt than hops on this one. A very odd taste with some bread and hints of lime. Just didnt work for me.

Mouth- It's light, crisp and water and bland. Not a good thing.

Drink- I'm not a fan of their starter IPA. A big let down for me.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%

I am usually a fan of IPAs, but this seems a bit weak to me. Not much of the hoppy character I love my IPAs to hold. In fact I'd go so far as to say this isn't an IPA at all. Another run of the mill pale ale. Average on all acounts. I'm generally a fan of Red Hook brews, but this one does not hold up.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%

It is not too bad of a showing here. Redhook is trying to introduce the mass market to a different style of beer. However, they are only moderately successful in their effort.
Pours orange straw color, decent head, little lacing.
Smells of hops, oranges, and barley.
A little boozy tasting and pretty bitter even for an IPA.
Mouthfeel is pretty decent.
Drinks not too easily, could not have more than maybe two.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a nice mid-copper color with a bit of nice initial head, but no lacing to speak of. Nice floral scent, but a bit weak, and nothing beyond that. Very floral/slight citrusy hoppy flavor, but no real malt body to back it up, not even at a 6.5% ABV; just rather weak bodied, like hop water. Goes down smooth, but so does water.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Redhook's original IPA was one of my "gateway beers" that transitioned me into drinking something other than Leine's and Guiness. I haven't had one for years, but I saw the new name and packaging and thought I'd try this one out for old time's sake ... and this beer was disappointing all around. Last night I had one with some pizza, and it was fine. Tonight on it's own, not so much.

I'll just cut to the taste. Lots of grapefruit and pine needle taste, and some unexpected buttery sweetness, and not much else. 15 minutes later, it's still there on my tongue and it's not good. The hops is there, and I'm a fan of the hops, but the hops taste lacks some complexity that makes a good IPA. In the "cheap" beer category of $6 a six-pack, there are much better IPA choices.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Average brown color with a white to light tan head. The nose has some fresh fruity hops, but not much of a malt backbone. The taste is even less complex. Some bitter hops and very pale malt. The body is light and has good carbonation. Drinkable, but not an impressive example of the style.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a beautiful medium gold with a small, bone white head.

Good hop profile. Not as hoppy as most IPAs I have tried. Malt adds some backbone.

Nice hoppy bitterness, but not too aggressive. Unpleasant metallic mid-palate with a short finish.

Prett bland and light. Dry, short finish. Not much body.

A boring, iffy IPA. More hops would be nice. Get this only if it is the only IPA available.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This is my first IPA and I have to say, not a great impression has been made on me. I like the look and it had a hearty smell too it, like others said sort of a piney-ness to it. The taste however was very bitter, I don't feel that I'm experienced enough in the IPA category to properly judge, HOWEVER, the bitterness and aftertaste for me was not something I thoroughly enjoyed. I'll continue trying out various ipa's and rewrite a review if I feel I didn't do this one justice but I will say they put enough of a alcohol percentage in to it so that I didn't completely waste my money away!

2.52/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on cask at the Cataqua Public House (Portsmouth, NH) on 2/20/09 in a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear copper with a finger of unimpressive soapy looking white colored foam. This really doesn't budge much but it also doesn't leave much lacing back either. The aroma is actually decent but just isn't very assertive at all. Floral hops and citrus, with a touch of sweetness. Some more warm-up and vigorous swirling get a little bit more release but not a lot.

The taste is similar to the aroma, with some light bitterness, citrus, and a backbone of sweet caramel and bread. The makings of a good IPA are here but it's just not robust or forward at all, with the taste just opting to fizzle out in the mouth. The mouthfeel is very light bodied with an almost watery feel at times. A bit of a creamy cask feel does come out some but not nearly enough and the overall feel is a definite major drawback of this beer right now.

Wow, this was one of the few beers that I've had where I think the cask conditioning actually hurt it. It was just WAY too light in mouth and the flavors at times barely got this out of Pale Ale territory. Not a very good IPA.

2.52/5  rDev -22.2%

A: I poured this beer into a standard pint glass. the color could best be described as piss yellow. There is little to no lacing and only a faint trace of head remains.

S: The smell is pretty unimpressive. It can best be described as adjunct grains with a lackluster hop presence.

T:Nothing special to be found here. It is an IPA that lacks momentum and can at best be considered bland. The overarching notes seem to be honey and a vague trace of hops.

M: Lively and carbonated one of the more quenching IPAs I have had for sure.

Overall I was unimpressed. The pros are that it is an approachable IPA for beginners, the price was not terrible, and for an IPA it was rather sessionable. The con was that they sacraficed a lot of possible flavor for the sake of drinkability.

2.52/5  rDev -22.2%

Single 12 oz. bottle poured into a sam adams glass. Bottled on 07.08.08 not the freshest but not ancient...

Appearance: Golden, clear with a quickly disappearing smallish head. Carbonation bubbles very slight.

Aroma: Sweet malt and some hop aroma.

Flavor: Some hop flavor but nothing to write home about. More akin to an English pale ale not an American IPA. Some definite diacetyl more than my liking (which is a very low threshold) and not to style. Bready notes.

Mouthfeel: Decent mouthfeel for the style. Would support the malt and hops if the were there. Some body not too thin. Head is very short lived.

Overall: Drinkable but not an AIPA. This has been either a bad day for beers or my memory is rapidly diminishing. I had remembered this as a pretty decent IPA. I was "in the mood" for some IPA's today and bought a few singles of ones I had thought to be good in the past. This was strike 2 out of 3. Let's hope the next doesn't let me down...

2.51/5  rDev -22.5%

Looked good, smelt fine. Taste was average, mouthfeel, about average, but the bite of this beer was a bit harsh for me. This beer has a taste it just isnt good. depth is there but is's bad. They got all hyped about having a taste and forgot to make it good. Extreamly bitter, harsh on the way dawn, want to be sweet. This wasnt the worst beer i ahve ever had, but far from the best and this beer is NOT AN IPA!

2.51/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours a clear golden color with a 2 finger white head with decent retention and lacing. The aroma has a light amount of grapefruit, along with some pine, and bread malt. Not to my liking.

Unfortunately, the taste is much like the smell. Small amount of grapefruit, some pine, and bread malt. Not a good combination of flavors, and pretty disappointing.

Light to medium bodied with average carbonation. No outstanding qualities. I don't plan to drink this again.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

If it's an IPA it's a weak one. Definatly hoppy but in a Fisher-Price my first IPA sort of way. And there was an oily residue that was more noticeable than the taste.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours gold and turns orange as it settles. Not much head. The smell upon opening the bottle is somewhat promising with an assurance of strong bitterness, which I prefer in an IPA. However the bitterness of this beer overpowers any other intended flavor, and leaves such an unappealing after-taste that I found it difficult to finish.

2.48/5  rDev -23.5%

Chilled 12 oz. bottle into a 20 oz. shaker. Bottling date 5.12.12.

Look- Clear light amber, moderate amount of what appears to be pelleted hop fragments floating around in there. Three fingers of dense eggshell head, clings to the glass and falls in a lopsided way. Looks like pancake batter on the griddle. Not much in the way of lace

Smell- Vaguely citrusy, grapefruit and lemon sorbet. Swirling brings out pine. Sweet, mild feel. Fruity, candy character builds as it warms, smells like sweet tarts taste. Pleasant enough, but not as much bite as I'd expect from an AIPA and overly sweet.

Taste- First take offers a decent blend of grapefruit and resin; still fairly sweet. Bitter medicinal flavor builds until it approaches the taste of a headache tablet dissolved on the tongue. Aftertaste is floral and chalky. A beer tasting better when you don't think about it isn't a big selling point for me.

Mouthfeel- Juicy, nice quench factor. Slightly dry finish. Medium body, light carbonation.

Overall- I like the new bottles, and the line on the label "A big fan of dry hopping, which sounds much dirtier than it is." was worth a chuckle. Reasonably priced at $6.50/six pack as well. Not terrible, but leave it in the bottle and enjoy on a hot day with a burger or something. Not really worth drinking on its own.

2.48/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a bottle into my iron horse mug.

A pours a clearish amber color

S smells like a christmas tree with a very strong pine smell.

T a light pine flavor with some light malt flavors.

Overall this is mediocre ipa. There is nothing special about this one but at least it is not terrible.

2.48/5  rDev -23.5%

Found this review while going through an old beer notebook of mine.

This beer pours a really clear golden amber color. It has about of a finger of pure white head resting on top. The head has okay retention, and it leaves behind no signs of lace on the glass. The nose is a bit faint, but it has a bit of caramel malt in the front. There is a nice piney hop aroma here as well. Also, I am getting some scents of orange peel and grapefruit. The taste starts off with a decent maltiness. There is a decent hop flavor/bitterness here as well. Also, I am getting some citrus flavor. The finish leaves some lingering piney hop bitterness on the palate. This has a body that is on the lighter side of medium, and it has decent carbonation, it goes down easy and has a pretty smooth feel to it. There is a pretty good bitter bite that accompanies this. There is decent drinkability here. It goes down easy, but it is a bit on the light side and the flavor is lacking a bit. It just kind of seems like a enteric version of an IPA. It isn't bad, but it isn't that good either. I'd drink this one again, but I wouldn't pay for it.

2.47/5  rDev -23.8%

New, sort off stubby-esque bottle. Bottled on date of 3/22/11

The appearance is definitely looking more like a pale lager than an IPA. Clear, light sunny color.

Biscuits, light sweet malts, sort of astringent, with a bit of pleasant citrus and floral hops.

Taste is fairly decent, but there appears to be a few different hop varieties in there, and they don't mesh entirely well. There's some spicy, herbal hops, and the finish has a fairly bitter bite. And there's some sweeter, tangy hops in there too. Fairly malty and bready as well.

The feel has a slick, oily texture, somewhat crisp, and lighter. Nothing really awful about it and the most appealing aspect, though forgettable.

Overall, not very good. Reasonably fresh for a Redhook IPA, but that doesn't apparently make it any more redeeming.

2.47/5  rDev -23.8%

The beer has minimal lacing and almost no foam. Nice gold color, but the entire appearance looks like your average Canadian lager. The smell is sweet and crisp and not much else. The taste scores some points for great hops, kind of pine-like, that taste great from the start and finish with a sublime bitter aftertaste. However, there's no balance. The malt balance is gone and the beer is way too damn thin.

2.46/5  rDev -24.1%

Straw clear yellow to gold/copper. Nice white, tight head, good retention and good lace.

Smells of citrus (lemon, grapefruit) clean not much else.

Caramel malt, citrus, mostly lemon with a touch of grapefruit. Gets very sour as it warms, disturbingly so.

Sticky, light to medium body

The sour finish almost had me dump this one near the end but I perciveered and finished it. I will not be having it again.

2.46/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours clear pale golden color, with a small white head. Musty flowery and weak citrus aroma, light grapefruit and sour apple flavor, crisp but has a watery and thin mouthfeel, a very mild hop bite, not very flavorful but I have to admit it is very drinkable.

2.45/5  rDev -24.4%

Was grilling out some burgers and figured a nice hoppy offering was worth a try.

Appearance - Golden in color with a sligh hazy appearance. An ample head formed with a slight lacing remaining after resolution. Carbonation is moderate with a small feeding frenzy providing support to the remaing thin ring.

Smell - Grapefruit nose. Not as bright and lively as I've had with other IPAs but it very much prepares you for a hop onslaught. A bit of a grassy nose as well.

Taste - Started with a hoppy presence that retained it's vigor throughout the middle, but ended on a very, almost metallic finish. In summary: You had me at hello, but lost me once we got to know each other.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is lively and provides an ample transport media, however this offering thins out very quickly.

Drinkability - Nope, not again. Had the makings of a nice hoppy offering, but failed to maintain any depth that might have been contributed by the least bit of malt to provide balance. Exceedingly out of balance, at least for my taste.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery