Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,136 | Hads: 3,040
2.48/5  rDev -23%

Found this review while going through an old beer notebook of mine.

This beer pours a really clear golden amber color. It has about of a finger of pure white head resting on top. The head has okay retention, and it leaves behind no signs of lace on the glass. The nose is a bit faint, but it has a bit of caramel malt in the front. There is a nice piney hop aroma here as well. Also, I am getting some scents of orange peel and grapefruit. The taste starts off with a decent maltiness. There is a decent hop flavor/bitterness here as well. Also, I am getting some citrus flavor. The finish leaves some lingering piney hop bitterness on the palate. This has a body that is on the lighter side of medium, and it has decent carbonation, it goes down easy and has a pretty smooth feel to it. There is a pretty good bitter bite that accompanies this. There is decent drinkability here. It goes down easy, but it is a bit on the light side and the flavor is lacking a bit. It just kind of seems like a enteric version of an IPA. It isn't bad, but it isn't that good either. I'd drink this one again, but I wouldn't pay for it. (1,122 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -23.3%

New, sort off stubby-esque bottle. Bottled on date of 3/22/11

The appearance is definitely looking more like a pale lager than an IPA. Clear, light sunny color.

Biscuits, light sweet malts, sort of astringent, with a bit of pleasant citrus and floral hops.

Taste is fairly decent, but there appears to be a few different hop varieties in there, and they don't mesh entirely well. There's some spicy, herbal hops, and the finish has a fairly bitter bite. And there's some sweeter, tangy hops in there too. Fairly malty and bready as well.

The feel has a slick, oily texture, somewhat crisp, and lighter. Nothing really awful about it and the most appealing aspect, though forgettable.

Overall, not very good. Reasonably fresh for a Redhook IPA, but that doesn't apparently make it any more redeeming. (808 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -23.3%

The beer has minimal lacing and almost no foam. Nice gold color, but the entire appearance looks like your average Canadian lager. The smell is sweet and crisp and not much else. The taste scores some points for great hops, kind of pine-like, that taste great from the start and finish with a sublime bitter aftertaste. However, there's no balance. The malt balance is gone and the beer is way too damn thin. (408 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -23.6%

Straw clear yellow to gold/copper. Nice white, tight head, good retention and good lace.

Smells of citrus (lemon, grapefruit) clean not much else.

Caramel malt, citrus, mostly lemon with a touch of grapefruit. Gets very sour as it warms, disturbingly so.

Sticky, light to medium body

The sour finish almost had me dump this one near the end but I perciveered and finished it. I will not be having it again. (410 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours clear pale golden color, with a small white head. Musty flowery and weak citrus aroma, light grapefruit and sour apple flavor, crisp but has a watery and thin mouthfeel, a very mild hop bite, not very flavorful but I have to admit it is very drinkable. (258 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%

Was grilling out some burgers and figured a nice hoppy offering was worth a try.

Appearance - Golden in color with a sligh hazy appearance. An ample head formed with a slight lacing remaining after resolution. Carbonation is moderate with a small feeding frenzy providing support to the remaing thin ring.

Smell - Grapefruit nose. Not as bright and lively as I've had with other IPAs but it very much prepares you for a hop onslaught. A bit of a grassy nose as well.

Taste - Started with a hoppy presence that retained it's vigor throughout the middle, but ended on a very, almost metallic finish. In summary: You had me at hello, but lost me once we got to know each other.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is lively and provides an ample transport media, however this offering thins out very quickly.

Drinkability - Nope, not again. Had the makings of a nice hoppy offering, but failed to maintain any depth that might have been contributed by the least bit of malt to provide balance. Exceedingly out of balance, at least for my taste. (1,034 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%

A ~ Looks like watered down clover honey. Honestly, the best clarity I have ever seen on an AIPA...Most have a bit of haze but this one is clear as crystal. Has the appearance of a Lager with some average lacing.

S ~ Wow. Not very much of anything. Smells "Clean" with a mix of lemon grass and faint Irish Spring Soap.

T ~ Lemonheads, Biscuits, white-bread with Old citrus peels (no fruit whatsoever) & leaves dominate Some dry hops add some bitter grassyness that turns very hot. Odd flavors here.

M ~ Almost salty with some pretty Excessive carbonation. Touch of dryness helps but not much.

D ~ Like an awkward mix between an American Pale and an English IPA. Don't seek out. A very burp-laden and flabby IPA.

Cleansing palette with an ESB.
Cheers. (756 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%

Not sure I can say I am disappointed since I never read about this beer in the first place so there was no hype to live up to. However, I am disappointed that I randomly chose this beer due to a limited selection at an El Segundo liquor store on Main street for Thanksgiving. I guess I would prefer it over a Budweiser though.

Appearance- No personality. Slightly cloudy brown and about one and a half fingers of short lived head.

Smell- Minimal hints of the hops and malt but not distinguished enough to form its own personality.

Taste- Lacks distinguishment in taste. Hard to discribe because there are no well defined characteristics that stand out. Bitterness is present but lacks a true IPA's attributes.

Mouthfeel- An unsatisfying dry feel. Bitterness is slightly there and no real punch in carbonation.

Drinkability- Goes down rather easily but just lacks the IPA quenchness. (888 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Judged at the 2003 Lucky Baldwin's IPA Festival (Blind Sample)

Beer pours a dark gold orange with minimal white head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is laden with apples and grapes with a strong bready yeast character and a touch of butter scotch.

The beer has a fruity palate with overripe red dessert apples and a grassy hop over a dead thin buttery body. (366 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -24.2%

Cloudy, murky orange colored. This beer poured and unbelievable, attractive 2 inch head with significant lacing.

Nose is slightly sour and hoppy with a burnt citrusy aroma.

Citrusy taste with a decent hop component but has the sour taste that many cask conditioned beer tend to have that turns me off on the mouthfeel and drinkability department.

Overall not a very good IPA but worth trying anything in cask. (419 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -24.2%

I poured this out to reveal a golden and rather boring color, think macro lager. The aromas were not there, and neither was the head. Just a hint of pine could be detected. The flavor was, "This is the most boring IPA I have ever had." That was all I could think about while I drank this. Sure it was bitter, but even that wasn't interesting. It even tasted rather watered down. The hops were very unrefined. I would not consider this an IPA. Redhook has been an incredible disappointment. Given its bland and unremarkable nature, it is easy to chug, which is laughable for an IPA. (581 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -24.5%

Appears copper amber hue with an off white cream colored head that leaves even solid rings of lacing throughout the pour. Aroma contains faint citrus pince hop aroma with a slight buttery touch of malt to it, the aroma overall seems a bit toned down for an IPA. Taste has some off metallic along with a lot of bitterness only with minimal malt sweetness detected to balance the bitter flvor, in my opinion this beer just didn't taste good. Mouthfeel is thin a bit watery in fact, not impressed but I don't expect much from Redhook these days. Drinkability from this mass produced IPA is I will pass and go for a classic representation like a Hop Devil. (652 characters)

12oz. bottle.

I found this to be a strange and bland IPA.

The appearance is transparent boring gold. An okay white head with minor lacing. The scent is weak musty moss and straw. Some hop smells linger but do not stand out at all.

The flavors are dry fruit hops. I cannot place the fruit flavor. It is sort of a citrus and berry combination. There is a grain flavor that I do not think belongs here. Not much hop bite and the malts are weak and bland. This IPA does not have any direction.

A watery quality to the mouthfeel at first. Then if felt as if my mouth was about to dry up. I am not impressed. A clean crispness adds to drinkability but I can think of many other IPA's I would rather drink than this one. I am glad I only bought a single bottle. (768 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -24.5%

I know Redhook gets dogged a little by some but I really don't mind their Summer beer, ESB, and Nut Brown...I'm not saying they are world beaters but I can enjoy them...I was excited to find their IPA in my neck of the woods but am less than impressed with this one....

Really doesn't taste like an IPA to me at all....the nose is sweet and perfume like...the taste is "buttery" and slick...now I don't mind some of that in an English Pale Ale, but a West Coast IPA should have some citrus hops in it and this has none of that....It does have some faint bitterness on the long finish but it's not a good bitterness...body is on the thin-side of medium...I'd never buy this beer again....one of the worst IPA's I've tried... (726 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours yellow with a tint of honey. No head remains after the intial pour, like soda.
Smell is hops with a hint of citrus.
Taste is a bit more involved, happily, with hops, grass, pine and a light lemon note.
Light body, hops dries out the tongue. Aftertaste is hops, pine/resin. While it may fit in with the style, I was not impressed with this Redhook offering. Absolutely no depth here at all. (398 characters)

Redhook IPA = India Pretender Ale

I don't care what they slapped on the label. IPA's are supposed to have a hop profile that will rip your tongue from your mouth. I've had several things from the same beer cooler of the grocery store where I purchased this six-pack that were far hoppier (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for example) This stuff pours like a cold-filtered macro lager - crystal clear with a quickly dissapearing head. No discernable aroma.However, it doesn't taste bad. The website says they hop this with cascades, but I'm just don't taste it.

This tastes like a bar of soap being rubbed in the grass as it warms up. Drink it very cold to mask the soapyness and only taste a subtle kick of mystery-hop. At least that's what I do when it's on sale, I don't have much money, and want a buzz + slight hop fix. (821 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -24.8%

Tried this beer for the first time not expecting much and thats exactly what I found. Nice hop aroma and even starts off decent (bittering hops). After that there was nothing. No complexity or balance. There are too many good IPAs out there to bother with this subpar brew. (273 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had this beer many times, and while I enjoyed it initially I have since moved on. In the PNW there are just too many excellent IPAs to enjoy, and I no longer find this to be one of them. (191 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -24.8%

A. Very thin clear looking for an IPA. A touch darker than a macro lager. There wasn't much head and it went away quickly.

S. Not a lot going on here either. It has a bit of a citrus/hop smell. I couldn't smell any malt.

T. This is a weird ipa to say the least. The only flavor was from the hops, but it wasn't over powering, complex, or really anything special. To be honest this reminds me more of a pale ale.

M. Thin. Very very thin. The beer as it warms seems to become more and more watered down.

D. It is thin, unoffensive, and the 6.5% abv is virtually impossible to notice. If you're looking for an easy to chug summer IPA this might work there.

Overall this is a below average IPA. Considering nearly anywhere I can get this I could get goose island's IPA I can't imagine ever trying it again or recommending it to anyone. It would be a nice option if it were on tap somewhere with nothing else. (909 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -25.5%

Cloudy pale gold in color with modest to inadequate head. Aroma is weak for an IPA I have to almost get my nose wet to smell anything, granted I am not the best detector of subtle aromas, but IPA’s are not subtle. They are bold. They preach the gospel of hoppiness into your nosal receptors. Taste is very underhopped for an IPA. I would call the taste unremarkable. Mouthfeel is surprisingly full but a little undercarbonated. With so many great IPA’s available coast to coast my reaction to this one is “Why bother”. It is at best a footnote to the style IPA. With the name Long Hammer, it gave me visions of enhanced sexual performance. Alas, this too was a disappointment. (680 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -25.5%

There is really nothing I like about this beer. It's not the worst in the world but i really wouldn't call it an ipa. Maybe more of an apa but even at that it's not worth getting. Any craft beer in the pale or amber category would be preferable over this. Appearance and smell is fine, just doesn't stand out in any other way. (326 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This beer was bottled on 8-19-02. It is less than 3 months old.

Hazy golden appearance. (The tone of gold you'd expect in a helles lager.) Not much of a head to speak of. Very little on the nose. Some slight perfumey hop aromas and also a staleness. There's not a lot of hop tastes to note, but it is interesting to note that the beer doesn't have a big enough malt load to balance effectively. The taste is perfumey. Also raw pine needles (not the good pine effect that some IPAs have.) Malt profile is really lacking to say the least. There's a lingering bitterness, but not an enjoyable one. Don't care much for this beer. Below average. It won't be dumped however. (686 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -25.5%

Wow, bought this on a "blind" buy never had it and didnt look it up for reviews. Its just not a real strong IPA. barely hoppy enough to be a IPA.

Appearance: the color was on/right

Smell: the smell was slightly reminiscent of a IPA but not real strong almost as if you were smelling a Light IPA :).

Taste: was bland as well, no real hop character that seems to normally be the "backbone" of a IPA. Not the worst thing ever but not a very good IPA.

Mouthfeel:Wattery just not a lot there.

Drinkability: Its drinakble but this one wont make the list of my go to IPA's. maybe I was just a bit spoiled by IPA's like Stone,Southern Tier Brewery, and things like Hop Devil from Victory,Smuttynose,Rogue,etc...I guess thats just what I expect to be comparing other IPA's to. This was just not anywhere near that league.. (821 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours light golden with a little bit of head.

Not much to the aroma. A bit o' skunk, some pine resins, citrus and an unpleasant astringency.

Sweet malts up front quickly become astringent hops mid tongue. Harsh, unbalanced bitterness lingers too long. Not pleasant.

Medium body, too unbalanced, no clear definition to this beer and the end bitterness is way over the top for the lack of malt. (395 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -26.1%

Really thin and grainy malts, with some citric hop bitterness at the end, didn't really see too much standing out, very boring watery mouthfeel, and for a cask ale this was extremely below average, this beer is making it really hard for me to meet the minimum character limit for my rating (Cask- GBBF 03') (306 characters)

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery