Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,136 | Hads: 3,040
2.38/5  rDev -26.1%

a - Looks alright. Light, murky gold color with pretty good head. A bit of lacing as well.

s - Hops dominate the smell, not much else comes through.

t - Surprising to have the taste be so bland and devoid of hops considering how much they came through the smell. Really not a great tasting beer in my opinion.

m - Again, just sort of okay. Not much going on, but not really objectionable.

d - If it weren't for the taste, this would be a pretty good beer. Unfortunately, the taste is the most important part, and this one drops the ball in that area. (554 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -26.1%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear golden straw color with a very small white head that diminishes. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a very faint citrusy smell, with little else. I had to double check the label as I can't believe that a modern American IPA would have such little hop aroma.

Fairly harsh bitterness and completely non-descript flavor upfront leading into just a hint of citrusy hops. Finishes as harsh as it started and with no additional redeeming flavors. Slightly metallic at the finish.

Medium body, light carbonation.

What a poor excuse for an IPA. Not quite an instant drain pour, but I'll never drink this again. They have no business selling this with all of the quality IPA options available. Save your money and buy something else. (767 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -26.4%

bought this at a little bar cuz we missed the train and had an hour to kill before the next one
eh is that coors light or...
lemony?
not horrible but a little too fruity mostly lemon flavors, does taste clean but just not what i perfer. pretty much like a bud light thats got some lemons thrown in it.
not a whole lot of feel here, does anyone have a sprite?
not gonna drink this again, enjoyed trying it but wasn't worth $4.50 a glass or $1.50 for that matter, oh well now i know (481 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -26.4%

A- Dark hazy orange color
S- Very hoppy aroma
T- A generic hoppy flavor with a touch of citrus, as you drink it actually tastes worse.
M- Very watery with a horrible aftertaste
O- To me Killian's Irish Red tastes much better, it's similar but less offensive. If it didn't have that aftertaste I would enjoy it. (311 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -26.7%

I was in New Hampshire and went to the Red Hook brewery. They have a restaurant in the brewery and that is where I had this beer.

I like IPA's, when the server brought out the beer It had a crisp clean look to it, light but not too light in color. It smell okay, it did not knock me out but it did not impress me either, it was middle-of-the-road.
When I tasted it I did everything in my power not to spit it out. It was overly bubbly and felt like I was drinking a ginger ale.
The taste was overly bitter.

This is perhaps the second time I never finished a beer in my life. I wouldn't have this beer again. (610 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -26.7%

Had this on tap at Indigo Joes. I'd not heard good things about it, but decided to give it a try since it's so rare to even find an IPA on tap in Arizona.

Looks a little pale when poured. Not much of the darker orange color typical of the style. Doesn't really taste like an IPA at all. Not really a blast of hops or malt, but a little overriding sourness to it.

Not one I would try again. With all the good IPAs out there, it makes you wonder why a place would feature this as their only IPA. (495 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -27%

I love a good IPA. This was not one.

Pilsner like in appearance. The hops are bland, weak and sub par. I can't even call this an average beer. Local advertising and may have given this beer a better reputation than it deserves.

I'm all about trying beers for the first time. There won't be a second chance for this beer from me. I am most unforgiving when my beer drinking time is wasted. (395 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -27.3%

Appearance - Nice 1-1/4" head with good lacing. Cloudy pale yellow color.

Smell - A citric smell like lemon juice from a bottle. With a light wet dog musk. (not very pleasant)

Taste - The citrus taste tries to hide the overly bitter taste but does not. Very very dry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Heavy yet not chewy. (If that makes any sense)

Drinkability - No thanks this is not a true IPA in anyway. Gives me a bitter beer face. (429 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A-A golden yellow color with almost an amber hue. About one fingers worth of foamy white head with a fair amount of lacing

S-A slight aroma of hops, but not what you would expect from an IPA. Kinda disapointing

T-Even more disaponting than the smell. A slight hint of hops, but very subdued. Bitter after taste, which was the most exciting part of this beer.

M-Medium body, with a fair amount of carbonation

D-easy to drink but no real character to speak of

This is not a true IPA (532 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -27.6%

If Wendy’s “Where’s the beef” ad blitzkrieg celeb Clara Pellar wrote this review, she'd bemoan, "Where's the hops?" This is the first beer I've ever had that made me think of those caramel-corn candies you'd get at Halloween. I hate those things. Hazy, orange, lightly carbonated pour. Hardly a head. ¼ inch that thins away to nothing after first sips.

Smells of caramel, but sweet dull aroma.

Not IPA at all. Questioning if it’s a pleasant taste? Hard to describe. Not my cup o’ tea. Bready. Taste doesn’t last. Watered down. Almost a Wurther’s Original candy, but not a creamy sweet, almost like humdrum caramel-corn beer. Somebody throw an alarm clock into the kettle to wake this one up! Slides to the back edges of the tongue, then sour notes of plain cooked rice escape. Sorry, and I like other Redhook brews. Plus they give away a lot of swag and T-shirts locally.

Slightly fizzy on the ole palate. Doesn’t declare what it is, which is not always bad, but this needs to make a decision if it's pleading a case in my tongue's courtroom, jury members.

Can’t think of similar brews. Needs a hoppy fruity sensation. Bring Fruit Loops Cereal's Toucan Sam out of retirement for this one. Maybe a lemon wedge will be slam-dunked into this belly flopper next time.

The set-back? $24 clams a case. I’d rather buy Lionshead for $12 and pick up a pizza, with extra cheese of course.

Parting thought: For the curiosity seeker, only. All others may seek greener pastures. Sad, tho’ Red Hook is a solid stand-by. Website states Hops are: Northern Brewer, Willamette, Cascades. Really? Will not dissuade me from future Redhook entrants, tho'.

Beer is good. Happy beering. (1,701 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -28%

Poured a cloudy light gold with little head but had some decent lacing.

Where are the hops? Not your typical IPA if this realy is one

Not much flavor needs more HOPS...tasted more like a pale ale or a golden ale.

I'd avoid this beer if you truly enjoy IPAs (259 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -28.3%

Reviewed from notes.

This is not a good beer. While I'm glad that something like this is becoming more mainstream, it's not something I enjoy like seeing Sierra everywhere, as I do not enjoy drinking this beer.

Pours a moderate copper color with a white head. The nose brings faint hints of citrus and pine with a pretty hefty dose of generic doughy bread in place of actual hop characteristics. The taste is the same way; this is just a generic base with a mild sprinkle of hops. Medium feel with no appreciable bitterness levels. Drinks fine, but there's no reason to want to drink more of this. (599 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -28.6%

I had this on-tap at Bailey's bar in Chapel Hill, NC. Nothing very special. I'm very surprised that the establishment chose this Portsmouth, NH brewery as their only IPA on tap. It's an odd choice considering that the Smuttynose Finestkind IPA (perhaps the finest IPA I've had) is also brewed in Portsmouth, NH.

Appearance: a golden amber color. I had it on tap, but have seen the bottle packaging and was not impressed. Very plain and bland label.

Smell: Even bouquet with no distinctive flavors breaking through.

Taste: Much milder than most IPA's I have had. Had little bite and needed more hops.

Mouthfeel: It was not very refreshing and did felt like it had been left out for a day.

Drinkability: There is just not much to be said for this beer. Lacked distinguishing qualities.

Opt for the much better, all-around Smuttynose IPA. (842 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -28.6%

Good initial taste and mouthfeel. Not overly hoppy. Have since found out the reason that it's not overly hoppy is because it's not really an IPA! IPA fans steer clear. Initial aftertaste is OK, but it lingers and tasted like a bad American lite beer and grossed me out. Compare that aftertaste with a true IPA where it's a nice blend of hops and fruits. Not impressed with this beer especially when compared to real IPAs. (421 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -28.9%

I have to be honest, when I took the first sip of Long Hammer I thought someone was going to pop out of the closet and tell me it was a joke. This is not an IPA. This is borderline Golden Ale at best. Now, don't get me wrong, I've had worse beers, but never one that so blatantly labeled itself something it clearly wasn't!

The color is very dark, but not bad. The flavor and smell are nearly nonexistent. The mouthfeel is fine but ruined by the lack of flavor.

This is fine if you want something better than some big name American brews, but don't be fooled. Pass this up if you're looking for an actual IPA. (611 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -28.9%

Light amber with a slight haze partially from the copious suspended particulates. Well retained vanilla white head leaves sparse lace. Faint citric hops in aroma are overrun by buttery, movie popcorn like diacetyl. A metallic twang manages to burst through the fake butter, lending a Genesee Cream Ale meets an old Boddingtons "The Cream of Manchester" impression. Offputting in aroma. Nearly as pronounced as the aroma suggests, diacetyl carries through into flavor and dominates, overriding most malt presence with the exception of token biscuit character. Hop bitterness is thankfully left unhindered, but itself is too understated to provide much balance. Lightly bodied, with a butter influenced mouthfeel that is perceptibly oily. Diacetyl stresses and weighs heavily on the palate. Subdued non descript citrusy hop flavor. Suggestion of margarine and citrus zest emerge late. Finishes agreeably abrupt. Would you like some beer with your butter? Although the diacetyl manages to integrate well in their ESB, it is overbearing in Redhook IPA. Would pair well with salty movie popcorn, but on its own tastes like Sierra Nevada meets I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Almost foul. Bottled on 12/23/02. (1,204 characters)

12 oz. bottle purchased for $5.99 per sixer at Supermarket

A: Probably the only good quality of this beer...filtered clarity. I think they took some flavor away with the filters. Head was thin and disappeared quickly.

S: Faint cirtus aroma...enough not to scare away the bud light drinkers.

T: Very little going on here. A hint of crystal malt flavor balanced with a sprinkle of cascade hops. More of a hop tea than a beer. 6.5% alcohol? Where? I don't get any alcohol warming.

M: Thin and watery...some IPA's should be if only base malt is used, but this beer obvioulsy has some dextrin malts added to the grist. Mouthfeel suffers from undercarbonation as well.

D: Well, if you like hoppy American Light Lagers, this beer is for you.

O: This is NOT an IPA. This is a poor interpretation of an American Pale Ale. Thanks BudHook for further confusing the beer drinking public. Now those beer neophytes will think this is what real beer tastes like. (965 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -29.2%

The beer is is a pale goldish yellow in color and fairly clear. There is a good head and retention is good.Very faint malty aroma, a bit weak. There is so little hop aroma for an IPA, that this is barely a pale ale much less an India Pale Ale which should be much hoppier. The weak hop aroma is that of grapefruit and other citrus fruits. The malt is a bit sweet smelling.

Wow, just as weak as the aroma. I am very disappointed. There is a weak sweet malt flavor and a small citrusy and piney hop flavor. The malt is sweet and slightly bready but overall lacks any depth what so ever. There is some bitterness on the tail end that is weak, although it does have a resinous tinge to it. But at the hop levels this beer is right along with the malt profile this beer is barely at the level it should be.

A bit thin and watery for an IPA. There is a slight sourness to the beer that probably should not be there as well. Carbonation is OK.

This beer is not an IPA by any means, at least the bottle I got. Rogue bad bottle or old beer maybe, but I'm just reporting what was in my glass. It would be generous to even call this beer a pale ale. It is more along the lines of a blonde ale if anything. It is possible I had a bad bottle, but from what I have been hearing that is probably not the case. This beer needs more of everything. It needs more malt, a lot more malt, and tons more hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness to qualify for an IPA in my eyes. I am not impressed at all. Although the beer is drinkable and does not taste bad. It just lets you down if your a hop head seeking out a good IPA. (1,601 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -29.2%

Got this while I was out...to be honest wasn't expecting much...got what I paid for for sure.

A- Pours a clear golden yellow color. 1 finger white head which dies down pretty quickly leaving a little bit of lace but it all seems to be soapy and fall down the side of the glass.

S- Light hop smell with a bigger sweet malt profile in the background. Doesn't smell like a typical IPA. Has a corn syrup kind of weird smell to it. I am not quite sure what they where going for on this but they missed all marks in my opinion.

T- Light bitter taste upfront with a huge malt taste throughout the entire beer except for a light bitterness to it in the end. This seems like a mass produced IPA that really doesn't go for flavor. I expected a little bit more than a semi-hopped watery style micro beer.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little bit too much for the style I think. Kind of crisp and clean mouthfeel because it is so watery. Light hop aftertaste and well...BMC style taste on the palate.

D- This could be a drinkable beer if I were to get something else in my system first. This is a terrible try at a style that has already enough bad versions of it. I would pass on this again if I had the chance! (1,213 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -29.2%

It pours with a nice orange to amber color with a light creamy head. However, the use of the IPA label is only that. Its aroma and taste were small on the hops let alone close to the expectations one would have for a beer labeled as an IPA. It tasted more like a typical mainstream pale ale. (291 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -29.2%

On tap received a pint with a moderate head on top of a deep gold/mild amber brew

Got a whiff of hop, some grain.

Eh. Hops are there. Some malt, not much else going on.

Mildly fizzy, with no distinctive features.

I guess these can go down ok, if you are thirsty. Not worth trying again. Fair at best. (304 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -29.2%

This one appears with just over a finger of head above more golden-than-red body. It has a "typical IPA" smell but weaker and is about just as lacking in the taste department. It's light-bodied and prickly, by the end I just don't like the taste. Should be labeled "Light IPA." (277 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -29.2%

I have five more of these to drink? Damn.

Pours a golden yellow. Big white, sudsy foam head. Smells like ... is that skunk? Also some faint citrus.

The taste is just rancid. Not an IPA, not really even a good pale ale. Just a weird citrus-y chemical taste. Ugh. Not good at all.

Average mouthfeel. (300 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -29.5%

Appearance - cloudy amber with a clean white one finger head that shrunk to a bubbly ring, some lacing/smearing of the head

Smell - yummy piney hops! nice floral output

Taste - surprisingly rough bitterness that did not match the soft aroma, a sharp bite on finish...thank goodness I had some salty pretzels on hand

Mouthfeel - I'm no fan of IPAs, but this seemed off

Drinkability - will pass on this next time, nothing special, hops seemed to go bad in the middle of the tasting from ripe to rotten (503 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, bottled on 4/4/11.

Pours a light amber color with lots of carbonation. One finger head and no lacing to speak of.

Smells of grapefruit, and slight orange peel. Getting a strong sweetness in the nose.

Taste is bitter and hoppy up front, but none of that lingers around.

Overall very unimpressive, I think if coors light made an IPA this is what it would taste like.

Do not seek this out. (420 characters)

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery