Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,148 | Hads: 3,121
2.43/5  rDev -25%

I know Redhook gets dogged a little by some but I really don't mind their Summer beer, ESB, and Nut Brown...I'm not saying they are world beaters but I can enjoy them...I was excited to find their IPA in my neck of the woods but am less than impressed with this one....

Really doesn't taste like an IPA to me at all....the nose is sweet and perfume like...the taste is "buttery" and slick...now I don't mind some of that in an English Pale Ale, but a West Coast IPA should have some citrus hops in it and this has none of that....It does have some faint bitterness on the long finish but it's not a good bitterness...body is on the thin-side of medium...I'd never buy this beer again....one of the worst IPA's I've tried...

2.43/5  rDev -25%

Pours yellow with a tint of honey. No head remains after the intial pour, like soda.
Smell is hops with a hint of citrus.
Taste is a bit more involved, happily, with hops, grass, pine and a light lemon note.
Light body, hops dries out the tongue. Aftertaste is hops, pine/resin. While it may fit in with the style, I was not impressed with this Redhook offering. Absolutely no depth here at all.

Redhook IPA = India Pretender Ale

I don't care what they slapped on the label. IPA's are supposed to have a hop profile that will rip your tongue from your mouth. I've had several things from the same beer cooler of the grocery store where I purchased this six-pack that were far hoppier (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for example) This stuff pours like a cold-filtered macro lager - crystal clear with a quickly dissapearing head. No discernable aroma.However, it doesn't taste bad. The website says they hop this with cascades, but I'm just don't taste it.

This tastes like a bar of soap being rubbed in the grass as it warms up. Drink it very cold to mask the soapyness and only taste a subtle kick of mystery-hop. At least that's what I do when it's on sale, I don't have much money, and want a buzz + slight hop fix.

2.42/5  rDev -25.3%

Tried this beer for the first time not expecting much and thats exactly what I found. Nice hop aroma and even starts off decent (bittering hops). After that there was nothing. No complexity or balance. There are too many good IPAs out there to bother with this subpar brew.

2.42/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had this beer many times, and while I enjoyed it initially I have since moved on. In the PNW there are just too many excellent IPAs to enjoy, and I no longer find this to be one of them.

2.42/5  rDev -25.3%

A. Very thin clear looking for an IPA. A touch darker than a macro lager. There wasn't much head and it went away quickly.

S. Not a lot going on here either. It has a bit of a citrus/hop smell. I couldn't smell any malt.

T. This is a weird ipa to say the least. The only flavor was from the hops, but it wasn't over powering, complex, or really anything special. To be honest this reminds me more of a pale ale.

M. Thin. Very very thin. The beer as it warms seems to become more and more watered down.

D. It is thin, unoffensive, and the 6.5% abv is virtually impossible to notice. If you're looking for an easy to chug summer IPA this might work there.

Overall this is a below average IPA. Considering nearly anywhere I can get this I could get goose island's IPA I can't imagine ever trying it again or recommending it to anyone. It would be a nice option if it were on tap somewhere with nothing else.

2.4/5  rDev -25.9%

Cloudy pale gold in color with modest to inadequate head. Aroma is weak for an IPA I have to almost get my nose wet to smell anything, granted I am not the best detector of subtle aromas, but IPA’s are not subtle. They are bold. They preach the gospel of hoppiness into your nosal receptors. Taste is very underhopped for an IPA. I would call the taste unremarkable. Mouthfeel is surprisingly full but a little undercarbonated. With so many great IPA’s available coast to coast my reaction to this one is “Why bother”. It is at best a footnote to the style IPA. With the name Long Hammer, it gave me visions of enhanced sexual performance. Alas, this too was a disappointment.

2.4/5  rDev -25.9%

There is really nothing I like about this beer. It's not the worst in the world but i really wouldn't call it an ipa. Maybe more of an apa but even at that it's not worth getting. Any craft beer in the pale or amber category would be preferable over this. Appearance and smell is fine, just doesn't stand out in any other way.

2.4/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This beer was bottled on 8-19-02. It is less than 3 months old.

Hazy golden appearance. (The tone of gold you'd expect in a helles lager.) Not much of a head to speak of. Very little on the nose. Some slight perfumey hop aromas and also a staleness. There's not a lot of hop tastes to note, but it is interesting to note that the beer doesn't have a big enough malt load to balance effectively. The taste is perfumey. Also raw pine needles (not the good pine effect that some IPAs have.) Malt profile is really lacking to say the least. There's a lingering bitterness, but not an enjoyable one. Don't care much for this beer. Below average. It won't be dumped however.

2.4/5  rDev -25.9%

Wow, bought this on a "blind" buy never had it and didnt look it up for reviews. Its just not a real strong IPA. barely hoppy enough to be a IPA.

Appearance: the color was on/right

Smell: the smell was slightly reminiscent of a IPA but not real strong almost as if you were smelling a Light IPA :).

Taste: was bland as well, no real hop character that seems to normally be the "backbone" of a IPA. Not the worst thing ever but not a very good IPA.

Mouthfeel:Wattery just not a lot there.

Drinkability: Its drinakble but this one wont make the list of my go to IPA's. maybe I was just a bit spoiled by IPA's like Stone,Southern Tier Brewery, and things like Hop Devil from Victory,Smuttynose,Rogue,etc...I guess thats just what I expect to be comparing other IPA's to. This was just not anywhere near that league..

2.39/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours light golden with a little bit of head.

Not much to the aroma. A bit o' skunk, some pine resins, citrus and an unpleasant astringency.

Sweet malts up front quickly become astringent hops mid tongue. Harsh, unbalanced bitterness lingers too long. Not pleasant.

Medium body, too unbalanced, no clear definition to this beer and the end bitterness is way over the top for the lack of malt.

2.38/5  rDev -26.5%

Really thin and grainy malts, with some citric hop bitterness at the end, didn't really see too much standing out, very boring watery mouthfeel, and for a cask ale this was extremely below average, this beer is making it really hard for me to meet the minimum character limit for my rating (Cask- GBBF 03')

2.38/5  rDev -26.5%

a - Looks alright. Light, murky gold color with pretty good head. A bit of lacing as well.

s - Hops dominate the smell, not much else comes through.

t - Surprising to have the taste be so bland and devoid of hops considering how much they came through the smell. Really not a great tasting beer in my opinion.

m - Again, just sort of okay. Not much going on, but not really objectionable.

d - If it weren't for the taste, this would be a pretty good beer. Unfortunately, the taste is the most important part, and this one drops the ball in that area.

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear golden straw color with a very small white head that diminishes. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a very faint citrusy smell, with little else. I had to double check the label as I can't believe that a modern American IPA would have such little hop aroma.

Fairly harsh bitterness and completely non-descript flavor upfront leading into just a hint of citrusy hops. Finishes as harsh as it started and with no additional redeeming flavors. Slightly metallic at the finish.

Medium body, light carbonation.

What a poor excuse for an IPA. Not quite an instant drain pour, but I'll never drink this again. They have no business selling this with all of the quality IPA options available. Save your money and buy something else.

2.37/5  rDev -26.9%

bought this at a little bar cuz we missed the train and had an hour to kill before the next one
eh is that coors light or...
not horrible but a little too fruity mostly lemon flavors, does taste clean but just not what i perfer. pretty much like a bud light thats got some lemons thrown in it.
not a whole lot of feel here, does anyone have a sprite?
not gonna drink this again, enjoyed trying it but wasn't worth $4.50 a glass or $1.50 for that matter, oh well now i know

2.37/5  rDev -26.9%

A- Dark hazy orange color
S- Very hoppy aroma
T- A generic hoppy flavor with a touch of citrus, as you drink it actually tastes worse.
M- Very watery with a horrible aftertaste
O- To me Killian's Irish Red tastes much better, it's similar but less offensive. If it didn't have that aftertaste I would enjoy it.

2.36/5  rDev -27.2%

I was in New Hampshire and went to the Red Hook brewery. They have a restaurant in the brewery and that is where I had this beer.

I like IPA's, when the server brought out the beer It had a crisp clean look to it, light but not too light in color. It smell okay, it did not knock me out but it did not impress me either, it was middle-of-the-road.
When I tasted it I did everything in my power not to spit it out. It was overly bubbly and felt like I was drinking a ginger ale.
The taste was overly bitter.

This is perhaps the second time I never finished a beer in my life. I wouldn't have this beer again.

2.36/5  rDev -27.2%

Had this on tap at Indigo Joes. I'd not heard good things about it, but decided to give it a try since it's so rare to even find an IPA on tap in Arizona.

Looks a little pale when poured. Not much of the darker orange color typical of the style. Doesn't really taste like an IPA at all. Not really a blast of hops or malt, but a little overriding sourness to it.

Not one I would try again. With all the good IPAs out there, it makes you wonder why a place would feature this as their only IPA.

2.35/5  rDev -27.5%

I love a good IPA. This was not one.

Pilsner like in appearance. The hops are bland, weak and sub par. I can't even call this an average beer. Local advertising and may have given this beer a better reputation than it deserves.

I'm all about trying beers for the first time. There won't be a second chance for this beer from me. I am most unforgiving when my beer drinking time is wasted.

2.34/5  rDev -27.8%

Appearance - Nice 1-1/4" head with good lacing. Cloudy pale yellow color.

Smell - A citric smell like lemon juice from a bottle. With a light wet dog musk. (not very pleasant)

Taste - The citrus taste tries to hide the overly bitter taste but does not. Very very dry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Heavy yet not chewy. (If that makes any sense)

Drinkability - No thanks this is not a true IPA in anyway. Gives me a bitter beer face.

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A-A golden yellow color with almost an amber hue. About one fingers worth of foamy white head with a fair amount of lacing

S-A slight aroma of hops, but not what you would expect from an IPA. Kinda disapointing

T-Even more disaponting than the smell. A slight hint of hops, but very subdued. Bitter after taste, which was the most exciting part of this beer.

M-Medium body, with a fair amount of carbonation

D-easy to drink but no real character to speak of

This is not a true IPA

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

If Wendy’s “Where’s the beef” ad blitzkrieg celeb Clara Pellar wrote this review, she'd bemoan, "Where's the hops?" This is the first beer I've ever had that made me think of those caramel-corn candies you'd get at Halloween. I hate those things. Hazy, orange, lightly carbonated pour. Hardly a head. ¼ inch that thins away to nothing after first sips.

Smells of caramel, but sweet dull aroma.

Not IPA at all. Questioning if it’s a pleasant taste? Hard to describe. Not my cup o’ tea. Bready. Taste doesn’t last. Watered down. Almost a Wurther’s Original candy, but not a creamy sweet, almost like humdrum caramel-corn beer. Somebody throw an alarm clock into the kettle to wake this one up! Slides to the back edges of the tongue, then sour notes of plain cooked rice escape. Sorry, and I like other Redhook brews. Plus they give away a lot of swag and T-shirts locally.

Slightly fizzy on the ole palate. Doesn’t declare what it is, which is not always bad, but this needs to make a decision if it's pleading a case in my tongue's courtroom, jury members.

Can’t think of similar brews. Needs a hoppy fruity sensation. Bring Fruit Loops Cereal's Toucan Sam out of retirement for this one. Maybe a lemon wedge will be slam-dunked into this belly flopper next time.

The set-back? $24 clams a case. I’d rather buy Lionshead for $12 and pick up a pizza, with extra cheese of course.

Parting thought: For the curiosity seeker, only. All others may seek greener pastures. Sad, tho’ Red Hook is a solid stand-by. Website states Hops are: Northern Brewer, Willamette, Cascades. Really? Will not dissuade me from future Redhook entrants, tho'.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

2.32/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured a cloudy light gold with little head but had some decent lacing.

Where are the hops? Not your typical IPA if this realy is one

Not much flavor needs more HOPS...tasted more like a pale ale or a golden ale.

I'd avoid this beer if you truly enjoy IPAs

2.31/5  rDev -28.7%

Reviewed from notes.

This is not a good beer. While I'm glad that something like this is becoming more mainstream, it's not something I enjoy like seeing Sierra everywhere, as I do not enjoy drinking this beer.

Pours a moderate copper color with a white head. The nose brings faint hints of citrus and pine with a pretty hefty dose of generic doughy bread in place of actual hop characteristics. The taste is the same way; this is just a generic base with a mild sprinkle of hops. Medium feel with no appreciable bitterness levels. Drinks fine, but there's no reason to want to drink more of this.

2.3/5  rDev -29%

I had this on-tap at Bailey's bar in Chapel Hill, NC. Nothing very special. I'm very surprised that the establishment chose this Portsmouth, NH brewery as their only IPA on tap. It's an odd choice considering that the Smuttynose Finestkind IPA (perhaps the finest IPA I've had) is also brewed in Portsmouth, NH.

Appearance: a golden amber color. I had it on tap, but have seen the bottle packaging and was not impressed. Very plain and bland label.

Smell: Even bouquet with no distinctive flavors breaking through.

Taste: Much milder than most IPA's I have had. Had little bite and needed more hops.

Mouthfeel: It was not very refreshing and did felt like it had been left out for a day.

Drinkability: There is just not much to be said for this beer. Lacked distinguishing qualities.

Opt for the much better, all-around Smuttynose IPA.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery