Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
View: Beers (48) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
AnnKrier

ab39z

01-10-2013 00:26:06 | More by ab39z
bbluemzbeer

1.06/5  rDev -67.5%

This beer was on sale at my local albertson store. I bought one bottle. I decided to take a chance on this one and I wish I did not take it.

Appearance - pours a clear golden yellow with a minimal head.

Smell -Like pine with minimal hops to it

Taste- unpleasant,likec bitterness with metal some citrus acidity. It taste like a battery acid from my car. How can someone brew this an beleive this taste good!

Mouthful - It is Mild, and light on the mouth.

Overall - To be honest, I'm upset that I spent 2 dolars and some change on this beer. Do not buy this even it is on sale!

05-05-2013 06:23:09 | More by bbluemzbeer
rkinney

Washington

1.25/5  rDev -61.7%

05-22-2014 20:32:37 | More by rkinney
Bodart

1.35/5  rDev -58.6%

I am a big ipa fan and have tried many india pale ales brewed by numerous breweries. Long Hammer is not impressive at all. The smell was bordering on sour, and the taste wasn't any better....no citrus notes like most good india pale ales. Perhaps I got an outdated specimen...if not ....Long Hammer isn't very impressive.

03-21-2011 06:19:39 | More by Bodart
neil

Maine

1.35/5  rDev -58.6%

This is a disgusting beer. Maybe I had a bad 6-pack, but I won't be buying another to find out.

This beer has a nice golden colour to it, and leaves a loose bubbly head. Reminds me of Michelob from appearance. The smell is flat, and smells strongly of chemicals. The taste was even worse, the flavour resemebling a fake hop taste with a disgusting aftertaste that made me think of a local chemical company. After a while this cleared and left a decent taste in the mouth.

The beer feels good in the mouth, but the flavour and smell are bad. This beer does not rate for me in the IPA style and makes me feel that the brewer simple took a cheap beer and added some more hops.

01-10-2004 01:48:27 | More by neil
laughatdanger11

1.38/5  rDev -57.7%

A - pours a slightly hazed, relatively clear golden yellow. Minimal bleach white head.

S - extremely mild fruity smell, maybe a tad piney. minimal hops, not nearly as pungent as I'd hoped/expected, to be honest it smells kind of funky, like the sludge at bottom of my fermentation bucket.

T - unpleasant, asprin-like/metallic bitterness that truly doesn't taste much like any IPA I've ever had. A little citrus acidity. A faint malt body makes this beer tolerable at least. Where are the hops? And why does this taste like a battery? I can't see how a brewer could be like "Yep, this will be our IPA." This beer has a lack of balance on multiple levels.

M - Mild, a little sticky after the swallow. Pretty oily and light in the mouth.

D - To be honest, I'm upset that I bought six of these. I might just drink all of them tonight and get it over with.

01-29-2008 07:21:52 | More by laughatdanger11
AleWatcher

1.43/5  rDev -56.1%

May 12 bottle date.
Served in tulip pint.

A lifeless and dull yellowy orange color. Small white head with bad retention and no lacing.
Smells like a slightly hopped up adjunt lager. No real malts coming through-- and the hops aren't aromatic, instead they smell purely like bittering hops.
The flavor is bland and any ingredients used seem to vanish. All that comes across is a slight citrus/pine hop and harsh bitterness.
It has a numbing effect on my tongue-- very odd. It's like heavy seltzer water in feel.

Wow. This is really a poor ipa. I will not be buying this ever again.

06-14-2011 01:42:11 | More by AleWatcher
oracle

Indiana

1.5/5  rDev -54%

Beer pour a typical IPA amber with a medium white head that left no traces on the way down.

Smell was uncharacteristically unhoppy for an IPA. Slight arorma of malts with a heavy over-riding sweetness.

Taste was absolutely ghastly. Started with a mild hops with heavy citrus that quickly faded to a horrid metallic tang (aluminum? steel?).

I finished the bottle but gave the rest of the twelve pack away.

06-11-2004 01:35:24 | More by oracle
LPorter33

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Golden, transparent, like a Macro-lager. This is not what most IPAs look like. Seems thin and weak. Head it OK, but definitely an overall below average appearance

Smell = Very unappealing. Reminds me of tuna fish with a bit of apples mixed in. Yuck. Not what I want in a beer. There's a bit of crispness to it but it doesn't save anything.

Taste= ugh..this is a terrible beer. It's sour and putrid without any dominant, clean hops. Tastes like these just squeezed a bunch of lemon juice into it and added some vodka. Terrible bitter, pungent aftertaste. This could possibly be the worst IPA i've ever had and is going down the drain.

Overall = AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

04-22-2006 02:16:37 | More by LPorter33

01-30-2012 02:52:14 | More by jfcaa193
BuckeyeOne

Washington

1.55/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Fail. Shame on Redhook for (1) putting out this beer and (2) calling this an IPA. THIS IS NOT AN IPA. I don't know what this is but it is definitely not an IPA.

It poured the color of straw left in the sun for too long. This should have been the first hint.

It smelled like beer but where are the hops?

Tasted like a skunked Redhook ESB minus the malt character.

Drain pour.

04-19-2010 22:27:00 | More by BuckeyeOne
Gorsh

1.58/5  rDev -51.5%

Wow. Big dissapointment. I like to read reviews first. Didn't this time. Assumed it would be decent based on their ESB. Nope.

Smelled skunky in a fake pot sorta way not a hop sorta way.
Watery, lacking body.
Grassy in taste.

It brought me way back to a time in my life when I drank beer fast and tried not to taste it as it went down, i.e. the cheapest 40 oz.er an allowance could afford. I'm trying to figure out how someone could make this beer, taste it, and sell it with a clear conscience. I'd be like, "Well, that sucked. Let's start over. We can't make people drink that."

07-07-2012 00:54:17 | More by Gorsh
waughbrew

1.6/5  rDev -50.9%

looks like straw - makes me scared of what is to come. smell is nice enough, citrusy. taste is just plain bad. way too attenuated - any malt flavor quickly disappears and leaves a bad bad flavor on the tongue that I have a tough time describing, perhaps a little bit of old hops with some tannins? feel is wicked thin. It will be a while before I give this beer another chance.

03-28-2003 08:48:00 | More by waughbrew
OpIvy

British Columbia (Canada)

1.6/5  rDev -50.9%

Bitter.

That about sums it up. I think you would have to be a real IPA nut to be able to appreciate this beer. It was just too bitter for me. Not really hop tasting just bitter. After a few it became a bit more drinkable but the lack of flavour along with the bitterness just killed it for me.

I don't usually find any beer to be bad, but if I had to choose one, this would be it. :(

Still however, if you can appreciate an IPA, give this a try. Who knows you might enjoy it. Always try a beer once IMO!

12-14-2009 10:29:23 | More by OpIvy
GreesyFizeek

1.66/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

On tap at The Brickwood in Rochester, NY.

Just an offensive IPA. Pours a golden yellow, with no head or lacing.

Smells like basically nothing. Maybe some sweet grains, a little bit of grass?

The taste is, well, bad too. There are hop flavors present, but they are super muted, and slightly dirty. Grainy and metallic. Awful.

Light bodied, crisp mouthfeel, undrinkable.

This is an abomination.