Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros

1.06/5  rDev -67.6%

This beer was on sale at my local albertson store. I bought one bottle. I decided to take a chance on this one and I wish I did not take it.

Appearance - pours a clear golden yellow with a minimal head.

Smell -Like pine with minimal hops to it

Taste- unpleasant,likec bitterness with metal some citrus acidity. It taste like a battery acid from my car. How can someone brew this an beleive this taste good!

Mouthful - It is Mild, and light on the mouth.

Overall - To be honest, I'm upset that I spent 2 dolars and some change on this beer. Do not buy this even it is on sale!

1.25/5  rDev -61.8%

This is to IPA what Tony's is to frozen pizza. It tastes like metal and sadness. Never again!

1.25/5  rDev -61.8%

1.35/5  rDev -58.7%

I am a big ipa fan and have tried many india pale ales brewed by numerous breweries. Long Hammer is not impressive at all. The smell was bordering on sour, and the taste wasn't any better....no citrus notes like most good india pale ales. Perhaps I got an outdated specimen...if not ....Long Hammer isn't very impressive.

1.35/5  rDev -58.7%

This is a disgusting beer. Maybe I had a bad 6-pack, but I won't be buying another to find out.

This beer has a nice golden colour to it, and leaves a loose bubbly head. Reminds me of Michelob from appearance. The smell is flat, and smells strongly of chemicals. The taste was even worse, the flavour resemebling a fake hop taste with a disgusting aftertaste that made me think of a local chemical company. After a while this cleared and left a decent taste in the mouth.

The beer feels good in the mouth, but the flavour and smell are bad. This beer does not rate for me in the IPA style and makes me feel that the brewer simple took a cheap beer and added some more hops.

1.38/5  rDev -57.8%

A - pours a slightly hazed, relatively clear golden yellow. Minimal bleach white head.

S - extremely mild fruity smell, maybe a tad piney. minimal hops, not nearly as pungent as I'd hoped/expected, to be honest it smells kind of funky, like the sludge at bottom of my fermentation bucket.

T - unpleasant, asprin-like/metallic bitterness that truly doesn't taste much like any IPA I've ever had. A little citrus acidity. A faint malt body makes this beer tolerable at least. Where are the hops? And why does this taste like a battery? I can't see how a brewer could be like "Yep, this will be our IPA." This beer has a lack of balance on multiple levels.

M - Mild, a little sticky after the swallow. Pretty oily and light in the mouth.

D - To be honest, I'm upset that I bought six of these. I might just drink all of them tonight and get it over with.

1.43/5  rDev -56.3%

May 12 bottle date.
Served in tulip pint.

A lifeless and dull yellowy orange color. Small white head with bad retention and no lacing.
Smells like a slightly hopped up adjunt lager. No real malts coming through-- and the hops aren't aromatic, instead they smell purely like bittering hops.
The flavor is bland and any ingredients used seem to vanish. All that comes across is a slight citrus/pine hop and harsh bitterness.
It has a numbing effect on my tongue-- very odd. It's like heavy seltzer water in feel.

Wow. This is really a poor ipa. I will not be buying this ever again.

1.5/5  rDev -54.1%

Garbage to say the least. No heavy hop flavor like a true IPA needs. Taste like an IPA light. Spend your $8 on something better than this.

1.5/5  rDev -54.1%

Beer pour a typical IPA amber with a medium white head that left no traces on the way down.

Smell was uncharacteristically unhoppy for an IPA. Slight arorma of malts with a heavy over-riding sweetness.

Taste was absolutely ghastly. Started with a mild hops with heavy citrus that quickly faded to a horrid metallic tang (aluminum? steel?).

I finished the bottle but gave the rest of the twelve pack away.

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Golden, transparent, like a Macro-lager. This is not what most IPAs look like. Seems thin and weak. Head it OK, but definitely an overall below average appearance

Smell = Very unappealing. Reminds me of tuna fish with a bit of apples mixed in. Yuck. Not what I want in a beer. There's a bit of crispness to it but it doesn't save anything.

Taste= ugh..this is a terrible beer. It's sour and putrid without any dominant, clean hops. Tastes like these just squeezed a bunch of lemon juice into it and added some vodka. Terrible bitter, pungent aftertaste. This could possibly be the worst IPA i've ever had and is going down the drain.

Overall = AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery