Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,136 | Hads: 3,040
1.08/5  rDev -66.5%

This beer was on sale at my local albertson store. I bought one bottle. I decided to take a chance on this one and I wish I did not take it.

Appearance - pours a clear golden yellow with a minimal head.

Smell -Like pine with minimal hops to it

Taste- unpleasant,likec bitterness with metal some citrus acidity. It taste like a battery acid from my car. How can someone brew this an beleive this taste good!

Mouthful - It is Mild, and light on the mouth.

Overall - To be honest, I'm upset that I spent 2 dolars and some change on this beer. Do not buy this even it is on sale! (583 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -56.8%

This is a disgusting beer. Maybe I had a bad 6-pack, but I won't be buying another to find out.

This beer has a nice golden colour to it, and leaves a loose bubbly head. Reminds me of Michelob from appearance. The smell is flat, and smells strongly of chemicals. The taste was even worse, the flavour resemebling a fake hop taste with a disgusting aftertaste that made me think of a local chemical company. After a while this cleared and left a decent taste in the mouth.

The beer feels good in the mouth, but the flavour and smell are bad. This beer does not rate for me in the IPA style and makes me feel that the brewer simple took a cheap beer and added some more hops. (679 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -56.5%

I am a big ipa fan and have tried many india pale ales brewed by numerous breweries. Long Hammer is not impressive at all. The smell was bordering on sour, and the taste wasn't any better....no citrus notes like most good india pale ales. Perhaps I got an outdated specimen...if not ....Long Hammer isn't very impressive. (321 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -56.2%

A - pours a slightly hazed, relatively clear golden yellow. Minimal bleach white head.

S - extremely mild fruity smell, maybe a tad piney. minimal hops, not nearly as pungent as I'd hoped/expected, to be honest it smells kind of funky, like the sludge at bottom of my fermentation bucket.

T - unpleasant, asprin-like/metallic bitterness that truly doesn't taste much like any IPA I've ever had. A little citrus acidity. A faint malt body makes this beer tolerable at least. Where are the hops? And why does this taste like a battery? I can't see how a brewer could be like "Yep, this will be our IPA." This beer has a lack of balance on multiple levels.

M - Mild, a little sticky after the swallow. Pretty oily and light in the mouth.

D - To be honest, I'm upset that I bought six of these. I might just drink all of them tonight and get it over with. (857 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -55.3%

May 12 bottle date.
Served in tulip pint.

A lifeless and dull yellowy orange color. Small white head with bad retention and no lacing.
Smells like a slightly hopped up adjunt lager. No real malts coming through-- and the hops aren't aromatic, instead they smell purely like bittering hops.
The flavor is bland and any ingredients used seem to vanish. All that comes across is a slight citrus/pine hop and harsh bitterness.
It has a numbing effect on my tongue-- very odd. It's like heavy seltzer water in feel.

Wow. This is really a poor ipa. I will not be buying this ever again. (587 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -53.1%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Golden, transparent, like a Macro-lager. This is not what most IPAs look like. Seems thin and weak. Head it OK, but definitely an overall below average appearance

Smell = Very unappealing. Reminds me of tuna fish with a bit of apples mixed in. Yuck. Not what I want in a beer. There's a bit of crispness to it but it doesn't save anything.

Taste= ugh..this is a terrible beer. It's sour and putrid without any dominant, clean hops. Tastes like these just squeezed a bunch of lemon juice into it and added some vodka. Terrible bitter, pungent aftertaste. This could possibly be the worst IPA i've ever had and is going down the drain.

Overall = AVOID AT ALL COSTS. (733 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Fail. Shame on Redhook for (1) putting out this beer and (2) calling this an IPA. THIS IS NOT AN IPA. I don't know what this is but it is definitely not an IPA.

It poured the color of straw left in the sun for too long. This should have been the first hint.

It smelled like beer but where are the hops?

Tasted like a skunked Redhook ESB minus the malt character.

Drain pour. (378 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -50.9%

Beer pour a typical IPA amber with a medium white head that left no traces on the way down.

Smell was uncharacteristically unhoppy for an IPA. Slight arorma of malts with a heavy over-riding sweetness.

Taste was absolutely ghastly. Started with a mild hops with heavy citrus that quickly faded to a horrid metallic tang (aluminum? steel?).

I finished the bottle but gave the rest of the twelve pack away. (414 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -50.9%

Wow. Big dissapointment. I like to read reviews first. Didn't this time. Assumed it would be decent based on their ESB. Nope.

Smelled skunky in a fake pot sorta way not a hop sorta way.
Watery, lacking body.
Grassy in taste.

It brought me way back to a time in my life when I drank beer fast and tried not to taste it as it went down, i.e. the cheapest 40 oz.er an allowance could afford. I'm trying to figure out how someone could make this beer, taste it, and sell it with a clear conscience. I'd be like, "Well, that sucked. Let's start over. We can't make people drink that." (583 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

On tap at The Brickwood in Rochester, NY.

Just an offensive IPA. Pours a golden yellow, with no head or lacing.

Smells like basically nothing. Maybe some sweet grains, a little bit of grass?

The taste is, well, bad too. There are hop flavors present, but they are super muted, and slightly dirty. Grainy and metallic. Awful.

Light bodied, crisp mouthfeel, undrinkable.

This is an abomination. (397 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -47.8%

Bitter.

That about sums it up. I think you would have to be a real IPA nut to be able to appreciate this beer. It was just too bitter for me. Not really hop tasting just bitter. After a few it became a bit more drinkable but the lack of flavour along with the bitterness just killed it for me.

I don't usually find any beer to be bad, but if I had to choose one, this would be it. :(

Still however, if you can appreciate an IPA, give this a try. Who knows you might enjoy it. Always try a beer once IMO! (506 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -47.5%

looks like straw - makes me scared of what is to come. smell is nice enough, citrusy. taste is just plain bad. way too attenuated - any malt flavor quickly disappears and leaves a bad bad flavor on the tongue that I have a tough time describing, perhaps a little bit of old hops with some tannins? feel is wicked thin. It will be a while before I give this beer another chance. (377 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -44.1%

12oz bottle, this bottle of mine looks like a new much more fresh design.

Appearance: Slightly orange/golden clear. Decent size white head.

Smell: Slightly citrusy hop like aroma. Faint hint of malts.

Mouthfeel: Light body, fairly carbonated but not overly so.

Taste: Poor hop flavor and a slight malty sweetness on the finish. Looking back over my beer drinking days it is obvious to me now that way back when I first began drinking it was supposed IPA's like this that completely turned me off of liking the style. Today IPA is one of my favorite styles and this was a complete waste of cash.

Drinkability: This could be a session beer for anyone who can get past the taste.

Overall I couldn't have been dissappointed more. I typically drink a Stone IPA or a Victory HopDevil, as these two IPAs are IMO delicious and are available in my area regularly. The RedHook IPA was the only thing called an IPA in the store so I grabbed it hoping to get a hop fix and my lord it was everything but a fix, I needed a hop fix even more after drinking it, good thing I had a Hop Wallup in the fridge. Not recommended by me. (1,136 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -44.1%

I've heard so much bad about this IPA that I have never tried it before. There were a few slipped in with a 6 pack I bought of porter to make beer bread. If my truck didn't burn more gas than Saddam during a war, I would have drove back down and returned them for a real beer. This beer pours a white head and a real pale color. This beer has almost no malt taste and no hop taste, just bitterness. Come on, most IPAs have some hop flavor like citrus or something but this beer has nothing. It's like drinking bitter water. Oh well, it's better than the beast but that is pretty bad when you're a microbrew. (607 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -43.5%

Weak sauce. Tastes like a good IPA that got diluted by a lot of water- like a light beer that tried to be hoppy. The only redeemable quality is the nose, but that's quickly forgotten about because the aftertaste stays with you for a long time, and it's gross. It will take me quite a while to work my way through the six. Overall, its an embarrassment to the style. (365 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I used to buy this when it was 1.99 at my local store. The price went up to about 3 bucks and I wish I remembered how much I dislike it, maybe the recipe changed but im just not digging the taste or the after-burn. Reminds me of drinking natty-ice at the softball field when i was younger (288 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -41.6%

A Safeway Club Card burning a hole in my pocket suckered me into purchasing a 12-pack at Safeway in Natomas, Sacramento.

A: Strange - golden, but not rich and caramelly looking like my favorite Boonville Hop Ottin' IPA. Poured into Bud Light Tahoe pub glass (appropriate), resulting in a 3/4 inch head.

S: Socks? A 1967 quarter minted in Denver but sniffed in Tuscaloosa in present day?

T: Slurping the head and there are some piquant hop notes. All right! What a deal! Let's drink. Hmm... What the!?!? Where'd the hops go? The other reviewer who mentioned that this "tastes like they squeezed lemon into it and added vodka" is spot-on. Awful, no clean hop notes, lots of metal. Harsh.

M: So angry.

O: Buy this beer and you'll be sorry. With the new Bel-Air in town dealing 22-oz pounders of Hop Ottin', and Lagunitas IPA readily available, Sacramento-Natomas IPA folks should wisely stow their Safeway Club Card and pony up for a real IPA. I'll be saving the other 11 of my 12-pack for the VERY latter stages of a party. (1,037 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -41%

Had this today on tap @ Hibernia in Boston.

Diacetyl? In an IPA? I think not. And what's with the low hop profile and mega-sweetness of this beer? My pint was quite cloudy too.

Beer drinkers of the world ... this is not an IPA, and it's a pretty crappy beer to boot. (272 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -40.7%

12oz : pint glass

Pours a clear golden with a fizzy white head.

Aroma is resiny, skunky weed/pine hops.

Again more resiny pine, but again with a faint skunkiness thrown in.

Medium body, with fairly average carbonation.

It has potential, but the faint skunkiness is definitely a negative. I'm not sure how it could be skunked from light exposure, as the six pack carrier covers almost the entire bottle, but I suppose anything is possible. Would like to give it another shot to see if I did get a light struck bottle. (521 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -39.1%

There is a thin white head that dissapates quickly. A nice color though which is a robust golden color without any redness. Distinct cascade hops flavor with just enough malt to balance. Mouthfeel is dense enough let you taste the hops without being as heavy as an average stout. Leaves a bitter aftertaste for a few seconds to finish with an average cleanness. A mediocre I.P.A. that displays the flavor of Cascade hops yet i believe it needs work on the yeast and the water profile as i do not think that these two ingredients are the best choice for an I.P.A. (562 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -38.5%

I tried this beer on vacation in NC and was pretty happy to find another IPA to try....

The color was probably one of the lighter IPA's i've seen with it being a golden pale

Pour was very clean and not much head on it...seemed very carbonated and with a soda pop-like bubble to it.

Smell was just okay. there was a hint of aroma but probably towards the bottom when compared to other IPAs

Taste followed the smell with there feeling like i wasn't getting the whole taste....like it was missing something...but there was a decent bitter to it.

Drinkability was light but not enjoyable. I found myself good and 2 bottles then decided to move on to something else.

In all, it was good to try once try but not exactly what I'd expect from an IPA. (752 characters)

This beer gets a lot of hate. I agree it shouldn't be considered an ipa, but it would be a decent pale ale.

A- Nice lacing, two finger white head, medium carbonation, light amber in color.

S- Olive oil, hops, malt backbone.

T- Olive oil that gives way to bitterness and finially a weak malt backbone.

M- Medium mouthfeel.

D- Could easily do a six pack or more but that just me.

Got a 12 pack of this beer for a steal. Not a bad beer to have around the house for a kick back or bbq. Certainly not complex, but well balanced and sessionable. The type of beer you want when you dont want to think too much about the subtl nuiances of the beer but just want something boozy and pleasent. (689 characters)

A - "Kristal" clear, looks like a macro-lager.

S - Fresh, fresh, fresh hops masking an otherwise phenolic, "sterile" scent. "It smells like a dentist's office," was a friend's take.

M - Watery, medium carbonation; again, maco-lager.

T - Dank hops surrounded by phenolic notes - tastes like a homebrew.

D - A little too phenolic. Came as no surprise when I noticed that this was affiliated with Busch, I've had a few Red Hooks that I like but this is definitely not one of them. (491 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -37.6%

12 oz bottle.

Light amber with a weak off white head, and minimal lacing. Doesn’t look promising.

Aroma is light caramel and grapefruit.

Flavor is lightly malty, lightly hoppy. Touch of sugar in the finish. Weak, bland, boring. This is supposed to be an IPA? Nice try bud. (282 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -37.6%

This beer does not taste like an IPA at all, more like a lager I would say. There was one six on the shelf on a recent trip to FLA giving the impression that it might be in demand. I love IPAs and that is really all I want to drink but this beer is awful for an IPA. The people at Red Hook are drunk on something better or don't know what an IPA is. Even calling this an Impotent Pale Ale would give it too much credit. I could not taste any hops no matter how I tried. The appearance is the only half decent characteristic of this brew. (537 characters)

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery