Microbrew Invitational

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Reviews: 1,162 | Ratings: 3,205
3.84/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a clear, golden/pale tea color with a lingering, slightly off-white head that leaves some light lacing. The aroma and flavor indicate a fresh, floral, grapefruit, and light pine hop presence. There is also a bit of toasty caramel malt in the flavor. The bitterness level is mild to moderate; just enough to make this beer interesting. The only downsides are that the body seems a bit thin and watery from time to time and there is also a tinge of a metallic edge in the finish sometimes. Pretty good,suprised it was rated so low

3.84/5  rDev +18.5%

I was real excited to try Redhook's famous IPA. Poured out an orange, cloudy color. Carbonation visible. Head was decent for an easy pour. Smelled of citrus fruits - orange and grapefruit maybe. For such a popular IPA, I figured the hoppy bitterness would be very present in the smell, but not overpowering here.

The taste was very good. Citrus-flavored hops, quite bitter. Unbalanced toward the hop side, but very much so expected from such a renowned IPA. I'm a bit shocked by the claims that this beer isn't hoppy enough. I'm completely content with the bitter taste it leaves on the tongue without assaulting it from the first sip.

I enjoyed this brew a lot. I will definitely be picking up more in the near future, despite the fact that the alcohol content and apparent bitterness might stop you from drinking too many in a single sitting.

3.84/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance is a dark golden color, head retention not so good.
Smell is citrusy and a bit sweet.
Taste is very hoppy but not at all bitter. Malt character is a little caramely but not too sweet. The hops are citrus and friut but not bitter enough to be a bonified IPA. A bit of a dissapointment if your looking for a serious ipa but a good tasting pale ale.
Mouthfeel is light to medium.
Drinkability is very high because of the lack of bitterness. But it is a decieving beer being at 6.5%. A good session beer but not a real IPA in my opinion.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

I'm not sure why the scores are that low on this... I think this is a very well crafted beer. It says IPA, and no, it's not the punch you in the face 100 IBU style Imperial or Double, it's the normal style. Maybe more of a pale ale really? Reminds me of Sierra Nevada Pale ale. But anyway, I think this is a great "Gateway beer" and very accessible to a lot of people. It's well balanced and very easy to drink. I enjoy picking it up, and having it on a hot day.

A - Gold clear. Normal head, reduces to a light foam here and there, and around the edge.

S - A touch of caramel, grain and bitter hops if you really want it.

T - I like it... nice amount of bitter. Approachable to someone that hasn't had that much. Balanced, well done... Nothing complex, but that balance (for a bitter) is nice

M - very refreshing, light, crisp, clean. None of that weird tangy bitterness at the end, that I dislike.

D - well, just as I said in mouthfeel... it's just nice, and I think the balance and the easy mouthfeel on this make it highly drinkable! Great for when friends that don't know the 'world of beer' that come over.

Anyway, I'm a little dismayed that it's in the C's, but really, most of us are quite honest, and on this site, C+ is 'ok'. 'B' is Good, and A is outstanding. I heard some people recently lumping red hook in with the coors/bud thing. Well anything Anheuser-Busch. Anheuser-Busch owns 25% of redhook... probably more as an investment, diversification and a 'toe in' to what they probably knew was going to be a big area. And they don't have any say. Redhook is one of the pioneers in the craft brew movement, and they should be respected for that. They've been a successful pioneer because they're still accessible. They're like a Sam Adams in that sense. Red Hook was the first beer I had where I went, 'wow, I like this, why doesn't all beer taste this good'. So perhaps I'm a little biased ;-)

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date September 17, 2013 printed on the label. It seems as though I've come full circle here, as I am re-reviewing this beer, my first ever written review on BeerAdvocate. Here we go again.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a murky light lemon-yellow colored body with some bubbles rushing topside, and about a finger of frothy doughy off-white head. Just a bit of spotty lacing. Looks pretty good to me.

S - Smell is simple, but nice. Some resinous pine hops, grapefruit, & some honeyed graham cracker malt to keep things in good harmony.

T - Taste follows the nose wonderfully. Bitter pine and grapefruit hops, and a lovingly nice balance of honey, graham cracker, and biscuit malt.

M - Aftertaste is of resinous pine and grapefruit bitterness. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Overall, not the most extraordinarily complex IPA out there, but hits it's mark on every level indefinitely. This is the ideal session IPA for me, a beer that I will always consider to be a classic go-to IPA, and one of the first beers that started me on my craft beer journey.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA ---4/5.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

Long Hammer is my secret pleasure. Another supermarket steal, particularly when it's on sale, as it was at Publix last week. Probably its only offense is that after the mild citrusy hop flavor there is pretty much... uh... mild citrusy hop flavor. That, and its mouthfeel could be a little less thin.

But one exception to the single mild citrusy note (and this is why I keep buying it) is some elusive and delicious characteristic unique to Red Hook beers -- maybe a slight malt flavor or even a water profile I'm catching (and I don't have a particularly refined palate, but I have always found Red Hook beers to have this characteristic and it's why I love them).

One way to characterize this beer is as a food-friendly IPA. For this alone I give it a very approving nod. My guess is when the big-hops fad has quelled a bit, this type of beer will stand out as an example (though not the exemplar) of a beer that pairs well with actual food people would eat at a meal. The usual line about a big IPA "going well with spicy food" is just plain dumb; a big IPA can really only stand alone -- pairing it with loud food only gives your mouth too much to deal with. But Long Hammer would even be great in a Welsh rarebit -- the cheddar would shine right through it.

In a pint glass:

A: orange-copper cloudy body with a small white head, no lacing

S: hoppy, floral with some grassiness and lemon notes

T: strong hops, yet still some spices come out as the beer warms

M: medium, sessionable, strong hoppy grassy finish, no aftertaste

O: pretty good AIPA, I'd have this again

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured into insulated tumbler at a cookout - chilled

Pours a ambery orange with mediocre head, smells faintly of hops but it's nice.. Taste is mildly bitter with some good earth backbone.

Overall this is actually a pretty decent IPA in my opinion. I would definitely purchase this if I needed an affordable IPA

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a golden wheat color with a an antique white head. Barely any head retention at all. Some lacing on glass. Biscuit malt aromas and sweet fruit bouquet. Decent mouthfeel adds to the overall pleasant experience. Sweet citrus and pine flavors that blend well to make a very good beer. I think Red Hook has changed their recipe on this beer. It used to be more harshly bitter. Excellent IPA.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

10-03: Had a nice treat. They had a cask version at the brewery. They even served it at the proper temperature. Dark golden with little carbonation. A little clear for a cask beer. Fairly decent hop (grapefruity) signature in the nose and taste. Good malty backbone. Not the most kick I've had in an IPA, but not bad nevertheless.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

I'm surprised to see the reviews on this are as low as they are. I had this on tap at Five Spot on Euclid Ave. in Atlanta. Was a nice golden colour with a snow white head. A little cloudy. Had nice lacing. Big citrus hoppy smell. Lots of grapefruit / hops in the taste and a nice malty finish. I thought it was quite refreshing and very sessionable.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a nice golden color with a thick white head. Tastes nice with a good amount of hop bitterness. a pleasant IPA. this stuff just came out of nowhere and now it is on every grocwery store's shelves in my town. Not a bad beer

3.86/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Look: Pours a dark light gold. Very little white head.
Aroma: A little bit of pine followed by citrus - some grapefruit. Not very powerful.
Taste: Bitter citrus and malts. More hoppy, not very well balanced but not a mess either
Feel: More or less dry. Medium bodied; medium/high carbonation.
Overall: It's not a bad IPA, but nothing to rave about.

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

I bought the Reedhook Brewers Choice pack from Costco... 24 beers for $21. How could I go wrong? Well, that's what I first thought until I saw some of the reviews around here. Then I was worried. But after trying this beer, I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this beer for what it was, and not just comparing it to other IPAs.

Appearance - Plain. Enough said. Very mediocre in this area, just gold, very little cloudiness, and very little lacing.

Smell - Decent, but nothing to write home about. Not as "in your face" as other IPAs, but a nice floral smell. Nothing offputting.

Taste - I actually like the taste alot, unlike a lot of people on here. It's obviously not a very strong to the tastebuds... but it's pleasant to the tastebuds. Definitely more floral and citrus hops. Very little pine. Hardly any malts. Nice and clean though, very little aftertaste. This beer is great for when you're in the mood to drink a beer with the flavors of an IPA but not as overpowering as an IPA usually is.

Mouthfeel - This is where this beer really starts to excel. Can you say smooth? This beer goes down so easy it isn't even funny. Easily one of the most "refreshing" beers I've ever drank. It almost feels hydrating in a way when you're drinking it. So light bodied and the perfect amount of carbonation. This is the "Bud Light" of IPAs. Feels watery in the mouth, and in this beer's case that's a good thing. This might be the only IPA I've ever tried that I'd use in beer pong. Awesome.

Drinkability - Feels hydrating, smooth, moderate level ABV, little aftertaste, amazingly light for the style, clean, crisp... the most sessionable IPA ever made, at least that I've ever tried or heard of.

So pretty much even though this beer is a let down if you're looking for something to wow you with it's intense flavors... this beer is AMAZING if you just want to get drunk off beer for cheap but don't want to suffer through similarly priced bullcrap such as Miller or Bud. I would DEFINITELY buy this again for that very reason.

Check it out next time you want something cheap and light to drink in mass quantities.

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

A decent beer, an average IPA, yep that is the bias going into this review.
Appearance is ok, not a lot of head, but it stuck around for a bit.
Smell is a bit weak on the hops but refreshing and some floral notes mixed with an abundance of fruit.
Taste had a good mixture of hop bitterness and fruit sweetness.
Mouthfeel is just not that oily, cloying type I like.
Drinkability is pretty good.

Long Hammer IPA

poured from a plain looking bomber. didn't look like it would be much, but at $2.99 a bomber, i couldn't pass it up! even if it does turn out to be horrible.

other reviews pummel this delicious brew to the ground. maybe i just give too much credit to the over the top bitterness that others seem opposed to. maybe i'm just crazy.

pours yellow with a thin head that leaves a few spots of lace behind. looks a little watery. obviously not very heavy on the malt. smells great! enticing citrus and hop smells jump out.

citrus hops dominate the taste. solidly bitter, light on the malt. not a very complex taste, but one that is easy to enjoy. this beer's strength comes not from it's massive complexity or versatility. it's just a nice, solid, bitter IPA.

mouthfeel light, if slightly light. easily drinkable, very enjoyable hoppy beer.

if you like IPAs, don't trust the horrible reviews on this guy. go out and try it for yourself. you may be pleasantly surprised like i was.

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

Picked up a sixer at the local grocery looking for an exciting new IPA to try. I was neither blown away nor disappointed.
I was surprised with the appearance of this beer. I expected to see the typical amber/coppery color that most IPA's display, but this one poured a very light golden color not far away from your macro lagers. Very clear, which means this beer was very likely filtered and had some of its flavor stripped away. Head was quick to dissipate.
Smell was very pleasant. Hops take center stage. I was hit with a very aggressive piney/grassy hop aroma.
I thought the taste was pretty good as long as you are not hung up on a beer style fitting exactly between a predetermined set of numbers. Hop presence was definately there with some moderate bitterness. Not much in the way of malt, mostly hops. I appreciate a beer that is on the heavy side of its style as I'm sure most beer geeks do, so I don't see the need to criticize an offering that is on the light side or maybe even down a class on the style scale. I'm sure that if this beer was flirting with DIPA range that there would not be any complaints.
Mouthfeel was somewhat lacking for an IPA, and probably the least appealing attribute of this beer.
Drinkability was good. The light mouthfeel will not wear out the palate, and the flavor was very likable. I could definately session this beer.
Overall, I thought this was a solid offering. Probably not something that is going to blow away the veteran beeradvocate, but it is a nice drinking beer. Something that could introduce the macro drinker to hops and lead them on the path of righteousness.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This 6.2% ABV IPA is delicious and does a good job at competing with other global giants.

Look-It pours a crystal clear yellow golden color as I expected, but it was very appealing.

Smell-It smells of citrus and pine hops and a subtle malt backbone of honey-suckle and roasted grains.

Taste-The taste is delicious. It follows the nose, but I get more bitters, but not overwhelmingly so and I taste a lot of pine and citrus such as grapefruit rind, orange, and tangerine.I get some floral hops as well and a biscuit-oily resin that manifests itself.

Mouthfeel-It is definitely on the moderate side of medium-bodied and there is a pleasant coating on the tongue that lingers from the hop oils. The malts aren’t too sweet and balance everything out.

Overall-This is a decent beer, but isn’t anything earth shattering. It is hard to compete with other giants in the world, but this IPA by Red Hook does a decent job at competing. I will say that the hops come through really nice. Cheers!

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. pours a hazy golden amber with a finger of white head that is dense and frothy. lacings are moderate.

spicy hops dominate the aroma, along with a touch of fruity sweetness and a light malty aroma. definitely hop oriented in the nose, without overdoing it. well balanced.

taste is very hoppy, with only a bit of sweetness and fruityness present. true to a good IPA, this one is unbalanced when compared to other styles, but does well within the style to be strong on the hops, with the malts providing subtle sweetness to add to the overall flavor. base is a creamy, bready flavor.

aftertaste is dry with bitter hops still present.

mouthfeel is medium-light bodied, with a silky texture that goes down rather smooth, and finishes dry.

drinkability is not as good overall due to the high concentration of hops, but lovers of this style (myself included) will have no problem tipping a few of these back in a night. cheers!

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

A: Bright golden yellow in color. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass producing relatively small white head that slowly dissipated into a single white ring around the glass. Light lacing.

S: Pleasant light floral hop aroma. Nothing extravagant but nice.

T: Solid flavors. Nicely malted with lighter pale malts; hops overtake the malt but doesn't leave you with the bitterness of some IPAs. Light hop linger.

M&D: Lighter mouthfeel but still satisfying. Moderate carbonation is a good match and lets the brew go down smoothly.

If you are a major hop head you are probably not going to be real pleased with this one. Although I like hoppy ales, I really liked this too. Long Hammer seems to have a bit more balance and isn't necessarily all about the hops. It's refreshing and smooth and still highlights the hops without over doing it. Nice job.

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

I am new to trying IPAs from many years of Bud Light etc... I really enjoy Long Hammer. Nice smell once the top it popped and it goes down very smooth. Perfect IPA for a summer afternoon.

I would suggest this beer to anyone delving the great world of IPAs as a starter beer.

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Given a six-pack from a friend. Decanted a 12 oz. bottle with an October 28, 2008 date on it into a pint glass. Pours a very clear golden color with a small white head. Nice retention, fair amount of lacing.

Aroma is a little one-note, but not bad. Strong citrusy, piny hop aromas. Tiny dash of rubber in there, too.

Flavor is more balanced. Starts with a good wallop of the hops. Again very piny. Really blooms in the middle of the mouth, then finishes with a fairly clean, bready aftertaste.

Good effervescence on the tongue. Mouthfeel is appropriate. Not too watery, but not too thick.

This IPA isn't particularly remarkable, but it certainly stands up as a strong session IPA. It could be a little more balanced, but it's easy to drink and still quite enjoyable.

16 OZ on tap

A- Hazy yellow/orange with a half finger head. pretty hazy
S- floral hoppiness, some sweet malts, a little grassy, fresh hops
T- Reminds me a lot of Southern tiers IPA, a good and very fresh hop flavor, kinda skunky and grassy but a very nice hop character. Balanced out nicely with the malts. A very balanced and drinkable IPA.
M- Good carbonaion, not too bitter that its hard to get down. Has a textured feel. Easy to drink and the flavor keeps you coming back.
O- Im generally surprised this beer doesn't have a higher rating then it does. Then again the batch I tried was fresh and on tap. I will be buying again.

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Redhook ESB was my favorite beer for a few months after I turned 21 and I also enjoyed the hell out of their Nut Brown, which was on tap at a bar near my house in DC, but I wasn't in love with their IPA. There are two possible reasons. Either, it took me a year or so to get into hops, so any hoppy beer would've been a turn off or it was a lousy IPA. I think it was a combination of both. I was disappointed, but not too surprised, at what a poor offering Redhook ESB really is after I revisited it. Let's see how this new Redhook IPA tastes.

Appearance: This one pours a peach color with a large layer of fluffy white head.

Smell: The nose has a light aroma of grapefruity hops and a very small note of caramel and biscuity malts.

Taste: Hey-hey, there are hops in this IPA. Grapefruit, fresh-cut grass, and a bit of resinous pine come out nicely, presenting a refreshing level of bitterness that straddles the line between an APA and IPA. A bit of sweet malt hangs out in the front and comes in again at the finish to round out a beer that would've been far from complex.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is medium to light-bodied with plenty of carbonation. The hoppy bitterness keeps this from being as silky smooth as it tries to be.

Drinkability: Before this beer, the guys at Redhook seemed to be firmly entrenched in "play it safe" mode- making boring examples of accessible styles, but they did a pretty good job with this one. As good as this is, I'm going to be leaving it on the shelf in favor of any one of the big handful of better tasting micro-brewed IPA's in the future.

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Redhook must have changed their recipe since I last tasted this brew. The time previous to this one was about three years ago. I must say, I was definately not impressed with the beer at that time. This time, on the other hand, I was impressed by the subtle yet hoppy taste of this beer. This is one smooth drinking brew and the 6.5 abv doesn't hurt either. I would definately recomment this one. Not the hoppiest of IPA's but not too hoppy.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery