Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,148 | Hads: 3,118
2.23/5  rDev -31.2%

I have really appreciated Redhook in my neck of the woods as Mississippi has really bad distribution. However, this beer is exceptionally tasteless at any temperature below 55 degrees. I usually like my IPA's around 45 - some may say this is too cold but that is how I like them. I tried this beer again at 50, at 55, and 60 degrees and there wasn't much there. It wasn't bad or turned it was just very 1 note and that note was played very softly.

Mine was poured into a Duvel glass. There was no head retention past the initial pour. The nose on this one is dead. I can detect some semblence of malt, but very little hop. The initial taste proves me correct - unfortunately. Wow how can they get by calling this an IPA - pale ale maybe but that would be a stretch without a bit more hop action.

Do yourself a favor get something else with your $7.50. I would even call the Budweiser American Ale better than this.

2.24/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

red hook ipa/long hammer ipa.

16 oz can poured into a pint glass.

there is a date on the bottom of the can, however is it a fresh by date or a DOB? because it says dec0113.

this beer pours pretty poor. a cloudy pale golden color. barely any head and minimal ring lacing. its pretty cloudy and because its over carbonated it really shows.

it doesn't smell bad, but there's not too much going on. a plain hop smell.

the taste is that of disappointment. honestly this is very plain for an IPA. not very hoppy at all. kind of tasted watered down or poorly brewed.

mouth-feel is that of a light beer. for a 6.2 abv IPA i was severely disappointed.

overall there's not much to say about this one. I am sucker for a good IPA and this is not one. better than most mainstream mass produced brews,but that is not saying much.

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

Reviewing from notes. Poured 11/22 in a tumbler.

A- One finger white head, orange-coppery cloudy appearance.

S- Hoppy, floral grassy hops. Lemon notes.

T- Lemon, middling bitter hops. Metallic taste on the tip of the tongue.

M- Well carbonated, medium bodied. Finishes with some remnants.

O- I've had many better IPAs, the taste is off, metallic and almost soapy. Disappointed.

2.26/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A-Light cloudy copper low head with no real retention decent lace.

S-scary i dont really smell the hops! Malt, a degree of sweetness and u really gotta take a big smell in to get the hops.

T-I think my girlfriend just put it well "thats a girls IPA"( no offense here just a figure of speech ladies :) no bite small notes of hops and citrus.

M-Light body and overcarbonated

D-I dont see me doing much over finishing this one, if i get there.

2.26/5  rDev -30.2%

I'm at Safeway on a Friday night getting some groceries and I think to myself this place should have at least one good IPA or hoppy beer worth trying. I saw the regular Sierra ales and the popular IPA (in black letters) beer which were too familiar to try again to I ventured out and got this beer. It states that it has lots of hops.

It pours pretty light and the smell of hops it very light. I would tell you you have to be looking for it to recognize there it any hops at all. Disappointing.

This beer strikes me as a cross between bud light and a wonderful stale IPA. Not good.

What was in the brewers mind making this? If your going to emphasize hops, make it count. Don't muck around. I would bet dollars to donuts that the brewery grinded it's hops to an almost powder form to get the most out of the hops. Hops drive the price up in beer especially over the last year with the short fall of harvests. Why do I think this? When you pour this beer look at the beer carefully you'll notice all the particles suspended. That's not good. Looks like finely chopped hops to me.

When you see this beer, just say no. There are so many other beers out there that are so much more worthy.

Long Hammer missed it's mark.

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours a typical orange-yellow color. Moderate haze. One finger of white head that dissipates quickly. It's pretty standard and boring to look at, but unoffensive.

This smells like cracker malt and pine needles and, unfortunately, cooked vegetables. This vegetal character sort of ruins the aroma for me. It's an off-aroma and it's certainly off-putting. Still, even looking past the vegetal character, this is substandard for an American IPA. There's not enough hops, frankly. It smells like a decent APA. Which is fine, but not when you are rating a beer to supposed style.

The taste is, well, pretty meh. It's main problem, really, is that it tastes like a pale ale much more than it does an American IPA. This is moderately hopped, and there is plenty of piny hop flavor... only it's on par with, say, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in terms of the amount of that flavor. Hell, SNPA is considerably more complex, as there is little grapefruit flavor to speak of with Redhook Long Hammer IPA. I have to mention the finish, too. It's very metallic on the aftertaste. A friend described this beer as "tasting like blood."

The mouthfeel is pretty sharp with carbonation, but not in a bad way. It goes well with the light body. If we still scored beers on "Drinkability" than this beer would get a good score in that category. Instead, we're scoring for overall impressions. And this beer's overall impression is not a positive one. Avoid. I'm only scoring it as a 2.5 because this beer would make for a nice APA.

2.26/5  rDev -30.2%

This was a very disappointing beer in my opinion and I am still perplexed how this is getting away with being called an ipa.
I've had pale ales that blew this selection away. Weak in every aspect. Glad that this was part of a variety 12er and i didn't buy a 12er of just this, then again , the 4 varieties in this 12er were at least consistent- underachieving. Sorry.

2.26/5  rDev -30.2%

Pale golden/amber witha good creamy two-finger head and lots of active rising bubbles, laces decent. This is the best part of the beer, it looks like a Two-Hearted! Just a small hop smell. Weak watery malt under a not so great hop profile. If this had a decent amount of malt, it wouldn't be hopppy enough for an IPA. The only reason it is is because of the hop/malt ratio. Light, lackluster body. Quaffable, but definitely sub-par.

2.26/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

This one was left behind by someone at a gathering of friends I recently had. Poured into a pint glass. THis one is a cloudy sraw color with about an inch of white head. Good sticky lace.

This one smells kind of bitter and toasty. Doesn't seem to have the hop character I would expect from the style. Kind of has a bit of a rotten fruit smell to it. This one is bitter but it really lackes complexity. This is just a somewhat watery bitter mess. I think this hardly resmbles an IPA.

The feel isn't bad. The body is light and there is good carbonation. Nothing offensive there. Overall, this is lame. There are a lot of beers I would drink before this. Still trying to figure out why I grabbed it.

2.26/5  rDev -30.2%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass right out of the fridge.

A - Pours a semi-hazy copper with a 1-inch white head; decent retention and lacing.

S - Yeasty/bready malt with a hint of hops.

T - Malt flavors carry the overall taste with little hops to speak of; a metallic aftertaste after the dry, bready finish.

M - Light body with fading carbonation.

D - Not an enjoyable selection; this isn't the first I've tried, so I don't believe freshness is in question.

2.27/5  rDev -29.9%

Appearance - cloudy amber with a clean white one finger head that shrunk to a bubbly ring, some lacing/smearing of the head

Smell - yummy piney hops! nice floral output

Taste - surprisingly rough bitterness that did not match the soft aroma, a sharp bite on finish...thank goodness I had some salty pretzels on hand

Mouthfeel - I'm no fan of IPAs, but this seemed off

Drinkability - will pass on this next time, nothing special, hops seemed to go bad in the middle of the tasting from ripe to rotten

2.27/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, bottled on 4/4/11.

Pours a light amber color with lots of carbonation. One finger head and no lacing to speak of.

Smells of grapefruit, and slight orange peel. Getting a strong sweetness in the nose.

Taste is bitter and hoppy up front, but none of that lingers around.

Overall very unimpressive, I think if coors light made an IPA this is what it would taste like.

Do not seek this out.

2.27/5  rDev -29.9%

What a disappointment, although I say that only because Long Hammer is the only IPA in the house right now and I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Long Hammer is a flat, one-dimensional beer that offers nothing in the way of excitement or hoppy complexity. Redhook is a brewery that, like Sam Adams, survives and thrives by virtue of a carefully crafted image. But the image is crafted with greater care than their beers, and even Sam Adams makes one or two rewarding beers (such as Rebel IPA).

I keep hoping for something daring from Redhook, but this is definitely not it. One suspects that Long Hammer was invented because Redhook feared that they were perceived as lacking imagination. "I know - let's make an IPA" they said at a brainstorming session. But they came up with something as inoffensive as Fat Tire in an effort to attract exactly the same consumers. In this, I believe they have succeeded.

12 oz. bottle purchased for $5.99 per sixer at Supermarket

A: Probably the only good quality of this beer...filtered clarity. I think they took some flavor away with the filters. Head was thin and disappeared quickly.

S: Faint cirtus aroma...enough not to scare away the bud light drinkers.

T: Very little going on here. A hint of crystal malt flavor balanced with a sprinkle of cascade hops. More of a hop tea than a beer. 6.5% alcohol? Where? I don't get any alcohol warming.

M: Thin and watery...some IPA's should be if only base malt is used, but this beer obvioulsy has some dextrin malts added to the grist. Mouthfeel suffers from undercarbonation as well.

D: Well, if you like hoppy American Light Lagers, this beer is for you.

O: This is NOT an IPA. This is a poor interpretation of an American Pale Ale. Thanks BudHook for further confusing the beer drinking public. Now those beer neophytes will think this is what real beer tastes like.

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

The beer is is a pale goldish yellow in color and fairly clear. There is a good head and retention is good.Very faint malty aroma, a bit weak. There is so little hop aroma for an IPA, that this is barely a pale ale much less an India Pale Ale which should be much hoppier. The weak hop aroma is that of grapefruit and other citrus fruits. The malt is a bit sweet smelling.

Wow, just as weak as the aroma. I am very disappointed. There is a weak sweet malt flavor and a small citrusy and piney hop flavor. The malt is sweet and slightly bready but overall lacks any depth what so ever. There is some bitterness on the tail end that is weak, although it does have a resinous tinge to it. But at the hop levels this beer is right along with the malt profile this beer is barely at the level it should be.

A bit thin and watery for an IPA. There is a slight sourness to the beer that probably should not be there as well. Carbonation is OK.

This beer is not an IPA by any means, at least the bottle I got. Rogue bad bottle or old beer maybe, but I'm just reporting what was in my glass. It would be generous to even call this beer a pale ale. It is more along the lines of a blonde ale if anything. It is possible I had a bad bottle, but from what I have been hearing that is probably not the case. This beer needs more of everything. It needs more malt, a lot more malt, and tons more hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness to qualify for an IPA in my eyes. I am not impressed at all. Although the beer is drinkable and does not taste bad. It just lets you down if your a hop head seeking out a good IPA.

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

Got this while I was out...to be honest wasn't expecting much...got what I paid for for sure.

A- Pours a clear golden yellow color. 1 finger white head which dies down pretty quickly leaving a little bit of lace but it all seems to be soapy and fall down the side of the glass.

S- Light hop smell with a bigger sweet malt profile in the background. Doesn't smell like a typical IPA. Has a corn syrup kind of weird smell to it. I am not quite sure what they where going for on this but they missed all marks in my opinion.

T- Light bitter taste upfront with a huge malt taste throughout the entire beer except for a light bitterness to it in the end. This seems like a mass produced IPA that really doesn't go for flavor. I expected a little bit more than a semi-hopped watery style micro beer.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little bit too much for the style I think. Kind of crisp and clean mouthfeel because it is so watery. Light hop aftertaste and well...BMC style taste on the palate.

D- This could be a drinkable beer if I were to get something else in my system first. This is a terrible try at a style that has already enough bad versions of it. I would pass on this again if I had the chance!

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

It pours with a nice orange to amber color with a light creamy head. However, the use of the IPA label is only that. Its aroma and taste were small on the hops let alone close to the expectations one would have for a beer labeled as an IPA. It tasted more like a typical mainstream pale ale.

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

On tap received a pint with a moderate head on top of a deep gold/mild amber brew

Got a whiff of hop, some grain.

Eh. Hops are there. Some malt, not much else going on.

Mildly fizzy, with no distinctive features.

I guess these can go down ok, if you are thirsty. Not worth trying again. Fair at best.

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

This one appears with just over a finger of head above more golden-than-red body. It has a "typical IPA" smell but weaker and is about just as lacking in the taste department. It's light-bodied and prickly, by the end I just don't like the taste. Should be labeled "Light IPA."

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

I have five more of these to drink? Damn.

Pours a golden yellow. Big white, sudsy foam head. Smells like ... is that skunk? Also some faint citrus.

The taste is just rancid. Not an IPA, not really even a good pale ale. Just a weird citrus-y chemical taste. Ugh. Not good at all.

Average mouthfeel.

2.29/5  rDev -29.3%

I have to be honest, when I took the first sip of Long Hammer I thought someone was going to pop out of the closet and tell me it was a joke. This is not an IPA. This is borderline Golden Ale at best. Now, don't get me wrong, I've had worse beers, but never one that so blatantly labeled itself something it clearly wasn't!

The color is very dark, but not bad. The flavor and smell are nearly nonexistent. The mouthfeel is fine but ruined by the lack of flavor.

This is fine if you want something better than some big name American brews, but don't be fooled. Pass this up if you're looking for an actual IPA.

2.29/5  rDev -29.3%

Light amber with a slight haze partially from the copious suspended particulates. Well retained vanilla white head leaves sparse lace. Faint citric hops in aroma are overrun by buttery, movie popcorn like diacetyl. A metallic twang manages to burst through the fake butter, lending a Genesee Cream Ale meets an old Boddingtons "The Cream of Manchester" impression. Offputting in aroma. Nearly as pronounced as the aroma suggests, diacetyl carries through into flavor and dominates, overriding most malt presence with the exception of token biscuit character. Hop bitterness is thankfully left unhindered, but itself is too understated to provide much balance. Lightly bodied, with a butter influenced mouthfeel that is perceptibly oily. Diacetyl stresses and weighs heavily on the palate. Subdued non descript citrusy hop flavor. Suggestion of margarine and citrus zest emerge late. Finishes agreeably abrupt. Would you like some beer with your butter? Although the diacetyl manages to integrate well in their ESB, it is overbearing in Redhook IPA. Would pair well with salty movie popcorn, but on its own tastes like Sierra Nevada meets I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Almost foul. Bottled on 12/23/02.

2.3/5  rDev -29%

I had this on-tap at Bailey's bar in Chapel Hill, NC. Nothing very special. I'm very surprised that the establishment chose this Portsmouth, NH brewery as their only IPA on tap. It's an odd choice considering that the Smuttynose Finestkind IPA (perhaps the finest IPA I've had) is also brewed in Portsmouth, NH.

Appearance: a golden amber color. I had it on tap, but have seen the bottle packaging and was not impressed. Very plain and bland label.

Smell: Even bouquet with no distinctive flavors breaking through.

Taste: Much milder than most IPA's I have had. Had little bite and needed more hops.

Mouthfeel: It was not very refreshing and did felt like it had been left out for a day.

Drinkability: There is just not much to be said for this beer. Lacked distinguishing qualities.

Opt for the much better, all-around Smuttynose IPA.

2.3/5  rDev -29%

Good initial taste and mouthfeel. Not overly hoppy. Have since found out the reason that it's not overly hoppy is because it's not really an IPA! IPA fans steer clear. Initial aftertaste is OK, but it lingers and tasted like a bad American lite beer and grossed me out. Compare that aftertaste with a true IPA where it's a nice blend of hops and fruits. Not impressed with this beer especially when compared to real IPAs.

2.31/5  rDev -28.7%

Reviewed from notes.

This is not a good beer. While I'm glad that something like this is becoming more mainstream, it's not something I enjoy like seeing Sierra everywhere, as I do not enjoy drinking this beer.

Pours a moderate copper color with a white head. The nose brings faint hints of citrus and pine with a pretty hefty dose of generic doughy bread in place of actual hop characteristics. The taste is the same way; this is just a generic base with a mild sprinkle of hops. Medium feel with no appreciable bitterness levels. Drinks fine, but there's no reason to want to drink more of this.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery