Follow our progress ...

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Reviews: 1,166 | Ratings: 3,225
2.38/5  rDev -26.5%

a - Looks alright. Light, murky gold color with pretty good head. A bit of lacing as well.

s - Hops dominate the smell, not much else comes through.

t - Surprising to have the taste be so bland and devoid of hops considering how much they came through the smell. Really not a great tasting beer in my opinion.

m - Again, just sort of okay. Not much going on, but not really objectionable.

d - If it weren't for the taste, this would be a pretty good beer. Unfortunately, the taste is the most important part, and this one drops the ball in that area.

3.72/5  rDev +14.8%

Not overly hoppy like most American IPAs are these days. More smooth like a traditional IPA with just the correct amount of hops. Different bottle seemed a bit awkward at first, but it really didn't matter to the taste and feel of the smokey amber liquid. Overall a very nice beer that I was surprised to find in Tampa. I'll search this one out again or just wait until my next trip to Seattle. I recommend it. I feel the previous reviews are too harsh by those who think more hops are better to no end. Simply not true. It is a great American fallacy.

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a clear amber color with a two-finger head. It looks exactly like one would expect an IPA to look.

S- Smells good, slightly sweet, and floral.

T - Tastes just like it smells, sweet and floral

M - This ale sits well on the palate, round and smooth, not too light, and not toio heavy.

I like this brew and although it isn't one of my favorites, I will be buying it again.

This beer is a beautiful gold colour with an aroma of fruitiness, probably citrusy but more orange than lemon. It has a very light bitterness but as hoppy as any good India Pale Ale. Very refreshing and day with nice sunny weather. This beer's got good character.

3.32/5  rDev +2.5%

This a beer I tried as a jesture to a friend whom I am trying to get into drinking different beers. I could not tell him no, since he said he "kinda liked it". I have to admit that the drinkability, which if that was the only thing you went by, is very high, but then again, I am really easy to please.

The appearance, taste, and mouthfeel were all average. Nothing worth wasting space expounding upon.

The smell was nice and aromatic, but I love hop aroma...

As I said, high on the drinkability scale for me. If you like IPAs this is a good one. If you consider yourself an officianado of IPAs, then you can find many faults, but I say just drink and enjoy.

btw, it is hard not to like beer in the middle of an oppressive gulf-coast Louisiana summer.

2.92/5  rDev -9.9%

A--Poured from bottle into a mug. A decent sized head formed, then dissipated into foam that ringed the glass. The color is golden, tending more toward yellow and very transparent.

S--Sweet and piney, it smells like a lighter-handed IPA ought to.

T--Starts and ends watery with a touch of pleasant hops in the middle. Should be more shockingly hoppy than it is. More sweet and more hops.

M--Fairly light carbonation and thin body. Pleasant but nowhere near memorable.

D--Its an IPA so not really a multi-beer brew. In my opinion its a bit too drinkable for the style. Just my opinion.

Fairly lightweight IPA. You could call it a good intro to the style. Not bad, I've just had better.

3.16/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Round 1-Value
Redhook Longhammer IPA @ $2.99 per 22 oz. bottle with 6.2% ABV

Round 2-Aroma
Citrusy pinecone

Round 3-Flavor
Understated hops and a piney element

Round 4-Finish
30 seconds

Round 5-Packaging
The 22 oz. bottle profile is unique because of the short neck. The label is short on creativity, as well. Mountains divide the label in half paying homage the Cascades climbing community. I appreciate the informative aspects of the label (i.e. flavor profile, bottled on date, and brewing technique information).

Results
Redhook is a clear superior dollar value winner at $2.99 per deuce-deuce. Redhook IPA is among the best deal in the beer world and a uniquely drinking IPA.

3.8/5  rDev +17.3%

a:brilliant clarity. golden and lighter than expected for an ipa. 1/2" head that had some staying power. decent lacing.

a:good ipa aroma that is all cascade. minimal malt aroma. no yeast aroma.

t:not much bitterness. some good flavor hopping that is smooth. no alcohol presence. mostly 2-row i guess, as i dont percieve much darker malt. i get some dms hints. clean fermentaion.

m:light to medium body. no noted hop residue. medium carbonation.

o:a good entry ipa. i know that redhook is trying to get cross-over customers so i cant fault them with the low bittering hops. i can see this kind of beer getting people hooked on hop aroma and flavor without the initial shock of the bitterness. i wouldnt buy this beer except, like today, when im eating and its the only non-macro on tap.

2.36/5  rDev -27.2%

I was in New Hampshire and went to the Red Hook brewery. They have a restaurant in the brewery and that is where I had this beer.

I like IPA's, when the server brought out the beer It had a crisp clean look to it, light but not too light in color. It smell okay, it did not knock me out but it did not impress me either, it was middle-of-the-road.
When I tasted it I did everything in my power not to spit it out. It was overly bubbly and felt like I was drinking a ginger ale.
The taste was overly bitter.

This is perhaps the second time I never finished a beer in my life. I wouldn't have this beer again.

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

It pours with a nice orange to amber color with a light creamy head. However, the use of the IPA label is only that. Its aroma and taste were small on the hops let alone close to the expectations one would have for a beer labeled as an IPA. It tasted more like a typical mainstream pale ale.

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

The beer pours a nice golden color with about a finger of head. Upon first sip, it is sweet with a very mild hop presence. It lingers on the roof of my mouth and the finish is long and slow. It is smooth but does not provide that bite I was expecting or yearning for. This would make a great beginners IPA.

3.24/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

- light copper colored
- smells a little like grass
- bland flavor
- Bitter aftertaste not too bitter
- very light and pretty refreshing
- enjoyed this IPA

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

Red-gold color with a low tight head that dissapears quickly. Sweet fruity hop aroma with a slight malty aspect that arrives late as the beer warms.
A sharp bitter hop initial flavor is the dominant taste from start to finish. An underlying bready malt emerges at mid taste and remains to the finish. A grainy hop taste joins in late in midtaste and intermingles to the end along with a caramel malt flavor that strengthens toward the finish. Medium thick body with very good carbonation.
Heavy on the hops, as an IPA should be, but with enough malt to make this an enjoyable beer.

2.76/5  rDev -14.8%

I have fond memories of drinking this stuff at the Ballard brewery when visiting an old childhood friend. It is therefore disappointing to report that this beer is so undistinguished when poured out of the bottle in you own home. Not much head, and repeated attempts at discerning an aroma didn't get very far. It is certainly an easy-to-quaff IPA with a low alcohol content and minimal bitterness.

I guess I'd prefer to drink a good pale ale over this faint-hearted IPA.

2.6/5  rDev -19.8%

I've had this in bottle as well as on tap in the RH brewpub in SEA. I'm always dissapointed when I see this included in the ranks of serious AIPAs.

Mom always said, if you have nothing to say...

It's a great version of an IPA to drink with filling foods/meals or perhaps when the humidity is unbearable.

Hop lovers steer clear.

3.54/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Poured into a glass: this beer pours a very light golden color with subtle amber hints reaching towards the outward edges of the glass. Looks rather average from a distance.

Smell: Quite hoppy, which is what I love. Half of beer is the smell and this one delivers simply and elegantly. An initial splash of light grain quickly followed with an overwhelming hop smell. Quite pleasant.

Taste: Similar to smell, a light grainy/malt taste instantly followed with a beautiful hop punch. The delicious hop flavor fills your whole mouth.

Mouthfeel: Quite simple... A full hoppy finish. Not dry, not 'wet'... just right.

Drinkability: Any more than a few and I am left craving a little something different. The strong taste makes this a good before dinner brew, which is true for most Indian Pale Ales. I consider this my 'backyard IPA' because it seems to go well with grilled foods. Good price, good flavor.

3.62/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance:
This beer came in a bottle. After pouring this beer into a clear glass, I noticed that it had a very distinct yellow/orange glowing colour with a healthy amount of carbonation and a 2 finger head that disapated rapidly. A rather nice amount of lacing to report.

Aroma:
Grapefruit and citrus pine aroma.

Palate:
Very carbonated, dry and smooth.

Flavour:
A average balance of citrus, pine, and dark hops flavour. Has a bit of a bitter and distinct aftertaste, but nothing too bad. A bit strong at times whilst drinking.

Overall:
Very Average IPA but the price is good so I may have this again!

3.83/5  rDev +18.2%

Not overwhelmingly awesome but it's a decent tasting brew. Color is a little light, its perfectly white head is large when first poured but dissipates, and leaves some good lacing as its consumed. Smell is not intense, but there is some floral hints and some orange that is picked up. Taste of some orange peel, and slightly better than the smell. Some hops but nothing that bites back. A little sweet.

It is your basic IPA

3.76/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A golden yellow Ale. It smells fruity and hoppy however most of the fruit taste is lost in the hops when you take a drink. Overall it is bitter and hopsy tasting. I love hops so it is a really good beer.

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

I have tried this beer several times before but never sat down to actually review it.

A - The appearance of this beer is slightly lighter than what I would expect however still that copper type color. Very light lacing occurred and not a ton of head which is very uncharacteristic of the style.

S - This seems very light in a aroma for an IPA. It still has the characteristic scents of pine, citrus (grapefruit) and floral hops.

T - The taste on this is much less bitter than several of the IPA's on the market. I think that this would be good for somone who has never been introduced to IPA's and may not necesarrily enjoy the bitterness added by the hops. It is still noticable however extremely palatable with a finish that dissipates quickly.

M - A bit more watery than what I would expect however still true to the style.

D - the drinkibility on this beer is amazing. Its bitter, however not too bitter making it a very good session beer. It is extremely refreshing as well. With the summer months coming this is one to crack while lying on the beach or a hammuk under a shade tree. I highly reccomend this for people just getting into the IPA style.

3.67/5  rDev +13.3%

This is not an IPA in the true sense, nor is it a brew for hop heads. However, it is very drinkable and packs a punch more than the ABV: 6.50% would indicate. I had a bunch of $3 off coupons on 12 packs and was only paying $7.99, so it became my every day beer of choice. In that price range it beats most everything out there thus allowing me to savor the real IPA's.

1.88/5  rDev -42%

A Safeway Club Card burning a hole in my pocket suckered me into purchasing a 12-pack at Safeway in Natomas, Sacramento.

A: Strange - golden, but not rich and caramelly looking like my favorite Boonville Hop Ottin' IPA. Poured into Bud Light Tahoe pub glass (appropriate), resulting in a 3/4 inch head.

S: Socks? A 1967 quarter minted in Denver but sniffed in Tuscaloosa in present day?

T: Slurping the head and there are some piquant hop notes. All right! What a deal! Let's drink. Hmm... What the!?!? Where'd the hops go? The other reviewer who mentioned that this "tastes like they squeezed lemon into it and added vodka" is spot-on. Awful, no clean hop notes, lots of metal. Harsh.

M: So angry.

O: Buy this beer and you'll be sorry. With the new Bel-Air in town dealing 22-oz pounders of Hop Ottin', and Lagunitas IPA readily available, Sacramento-Natomas IPA folks should wisely stow their Safeway Club Card and pony up for a real IPA. I'll be saving the other 11 of my 12-pack for the VERY latter stages of a party.

2.26/5  rDev -30.2%

I'm at Safeway on a Friday night getting some groceries and I think to myself this place should have at least one good IPA or hoppy beer worth trying. I saw the regular Sierra ales and the popular IPA (in black letters) beer which were too familiar to try again to I ventured out and got this beer. It states that it has lots of hops.

It pours pretty light and the smell of hops it very light. I would tell you you have to be looking for it to recognize there it any hops at all. Disappointing.

This beer strikes me as a cross between bud light and a wonderful stale IPA. Not good.

What was in the brewers mind making this? If your going to emphasize hops, make it count. Don't muck around. I would bet dollars to donuts that the brewery grinded it's hops to an almost powder form to get the most out of the hops. Hops drive the price up in beer especially over the last year with the short fall of harvests. Why do I think this? When you pour this beer look at the beer carefully you'll notice all the particles suspended. That's not good. Looks like finely chopped hops to me.

When you see this beer, just say no. There are so many other beers out there that are so much more worthy.

Long Hammer missed it's mark.

2.7/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a golden color with about a finger of thin head that dissipates quickly into a thin white film around the edges.

Slight citrus (orange) aroma with some notes of grass. Very underwhelming for an American IPA.

Taste is also underwhelming for an American IPA. Almost no malt sweetness and very little actual hop flavor with pronounced bitterness from start to finish.

Carbonation is probably the best part of this beer as the mouthfeel is excellent. Slightly buttery reminds me of a bitter Sam Summer Ale.

Overall this is a mostly poor example of a modern American IPA. I expected a lot from this beer but alas it did not deliver. Their Winter Hook, on the other hand is amazing!

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

I really like this IPA. It is smooth and flavorful.

I like hops as much as the next guy, right on, but I don't need a snootful every time I take a sip of beer, and for that reason I like the Longhammer. The hops blend with the rest of the flavor profile really well, so that you get a nice unified sense of taste. They don't stand out noticeably on their own, which to me is a sign of a brewer that's paying attention.

Definitely recommended if you want a nice, subtle IPA.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery