Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,148 | Hads: 3,119
2.6/5  rDev -19.8%

I've had this in bottle as well as on tap in the RH brewpub in SEA. I'm always dissapointed when I see this included in the ranks of serious AIPAs.

Mom always said, if you have nothing to say...

It's a great version of an IPA to drink with filling foods/meals or perhaps when the humidity is unbearable.

Hop lovers steer clear.

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

I have tried this beer several times before but never sat down to actually review it.

A - The appearance of this beer is slightly lighter than what I would expect however still that copper type color. Very light lacing occurred and not a ton of head which is very uncharacteristic of the style.

S - This seems very light in a aroma for an IPA. It still has the characteristic scents of pine, citrus (grapefruit) and floral hops.

T - The taste on this is much less bitter than several of the IPA's on the market. I think that this would be good for somone who has never been introduced to IPA's and may not necesarrily enjoy the bitterness added by the hops. It is still noticable however extremely palatable with a finish that dissipates quickly.

M - A bit more watery than what I would expect however still true to the style.

D - the drinkibility on this beer is amazing. Its bitter, however not too bitter making it a very good session beer. It is extremely refreshing as well. With the summer months coming this is one to crack while lying on the beach or a hammuk under a shade tree. I highly reccomend this for people just getting into the IPA style.

2.26/5  rDev -30.2%

I'm at Safeway on a Friday night getting some groceries and I think to myself this place should have at least one good IPA or hoppy beer worth trying. I saw the regular Sierra ales and the popular IPA (in black letters) beer which were too familiar to try again to I ventured out and got this beer. It states that it has lots of hops.

It pours pretty light and the smell of hops it very light. I would tell you you have to be looking for it to recognize there it any hops at all. Disappointing.

This beer strikes me as a cross between bud light and a wonderful stale IPA. Not good.

What was in the brewers mind making this? If your going to emphasize hops, make it count. Don't muck around. I would bet dollars to donuts that the brewery grinded it's hops to an almost powder form to get the most out of the hops. Hops drive the price up in beer especially over the last year with the short fall of harvests. Why do I think this? When you pour this beer look at the beer carefully you'll notice all the particles suspended. That's not good. Looks like finely chopped hops to me.

When you see this beer, just say no. There are so many other beers out there that are so much more worthy.

Long Hammer missed it's mark.

3.72/5  rDev +14.8%

Not overly hoppy like most American IPAs are these days. More smooth like a traditional IPA with just the correct amount of hops. Different bottle seemed a bit awkward at first, but it really didn't matter to the taste and feel of the smokey amber liquid. Overall a very nice beer that I was surprised to find in Tampa. I'll search this one out again or just wait until my next trip to Seattle. I recommend it. I feel the previous reviews are too harsh by those who think more hops are better to no end. Simply not true. It is a great American fallacy.

2.7/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a golden color with about a finger of thin head that dissipates quickly into a thin white film around the edges.

Slight citrus (orange) aroma with some notes of grass. Very underwhelming for an American IPA.

Taste is also underwhelming for an American IPA. Almost no malt sweetness and very little actual hop flavor with pronounced bitterness from start to finish.

Carbonation is probably the best part of this beer as the mouthfeel is excellent. Slightly buttery reminds me of a bitter Sam Summer Ale.

Overall this is a mostly poor example of a modern American IPA. I expected a lot from this beer but alas it did not deliver. Their Winter Hook, on the other hand is amazing!

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

I really like this IPA. It is smooth and flavorful.

I like hops as much as the next guy, right on, but I don't need a snootful every time I take a sip of beer, and for that reason I like the Longhammer. The hops blend with the rest of the flavor profile really well, so that you get a nice unified sense of taste. They don't stand out noticeably on their own, which to me is a sign of a brewer that's paying attention.

Definitely recommended if you want a nice, subtle IPA.

3.57/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a one finger head, light head retention, with medium lacing. Body is a light copper, slightly cloudy with no sediment. On the nose, I get a hint of pine, which is unusual for a 6.2 abv IPA. Followed up with a hint of citrus and raspberry. On the palate I immediately get more pine than i got on the nose, the hops bite travels directly to the back ( most high abv's it usually travels to the sides as well as the back. Must be due to the dry hopping process. finishes crisp and semi dry with a pleasant note of citrus. decently session able for a dry hopped IPA.

3.79/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Visual: pours a light golden color.
Smell: Light fruity smell. Orange and grapefruit notes.
Taste: Wheat taste and the fruit smells match the taste.
Overall: Light body but not watery. Decent choice for a beer.

2.89/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Look: light/clear golden yellow
Smell: light fruit, hoppy
Taste: wheat, hoppy, very little fruit
Overall: this beer was too hoppy and bitter for my taste, unpleasant

3.67/5  rDev +13.3%

This is not an IPA in the true sense, nor is it a brew for hop heads. However, it is very drinkable and packs a punch more than the ABV: 6.50% would indicate. I had a bunch of $3 off coupons on 12 packs and was only paying $7.99, so it became my every day beer of choice. In that price range it beats most everything out there thus allowing me to savor the real IPA's.

1.88/5  rDev -42%

A Safeway Club Card burning a hole in my pocket suckered me into purchasing a 12-pack at Safeway in Natomas, Sacramento.

A: Strange - golden, but not rich and caramelly looking like my favorite Boonville Hop Ottin' IPA. Poured into Bud Light Tahoe pub glass (appropriate), resulting in a 3/4 inch head.

S: Socks? A 1967 quarter minted in Denver but sniffed in Tuscaloosa in present day?

T: Slurping the head and there are some piquant hop notes. All right! What a deal! Let's drink. Hmm... What the!?!? Where'd the hops go? The other reviewer who mentioned that this "tastes like they squeezed lemon into it and added vodka" is spot-on. Awful, no clean hop notes, lots of metal. Harsh.

M: So angry.

O: Buy this beer and you'll be sorry. With the new Bel-Air in town dealing 22-oz pounders of Hop Ottin', and Lagunitas IPA readily available, Sacramento-Natomas IPA folks should wisely stow their Safeway Club Card and pony up for a real IPA. I'll be saving the other 11 of my 12-pack for the VERY latter stages of a party.

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a light golden color with just a very slightest hint of copper. Small head that disappears quickly leaving a thin ring floating on top

Aroma is all spicy hops with hints of pine and a little citrus, but could use more hop aroma.

Hops dominate the flavor profile though for an IPA it could use considerable more hop flavor. Nice amount of malt sweetness to counter balance the hop bitterness. But again an IPA should have more hop flavor and bitterness.

Overall an ok beer, not so good as an IPA. Flavors are well balanced and there is some decent quality product used to make this beer, but I am disappointed in the amount of hop flavor and bitterness. They could push it further.

2.76/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Light slightly cloudy amber brew, small whiteish head, remained for a while, and left good lacing.

S - Not alot to be desired, a little leafy and citrus notes come through, a tad bit of pine, needs more though.

T - Reminds me of hefeweizen trying hard to be a IPA. Light, a little citrus and hops, pine, but little of it.

M - Nice carbonation, but bland.

D - I could drink this one, but it wouldn't be something I would buy again. Needs a more distinct flavor, hard to tel where they were going with it.

3.21/5  rDev -0.9%

Someone got a draft of this IPA right before me... and the tender poured it down the side, no head built up what so ever. I'm no draft expert but I think a little bit of head should still develop... absolutely no lacing to speak, bare down the glass. my friends bud amercian ale had lacing but this did not! Only reason it doesn't get an F for appearance is I couldn't get a great look at the color, darn black lights!
Anyhow... smelled light for an IPA, citrus hops are there, but a sweet sugary smell covers up and masks everything else
Taste is same as the smell... rather sweet... some citrus hops, maybe a hint of pine. Almost as if they added sugar to mask the bittering... or skipped the bittering method.
Mouthfeel is too light for an IPA. Not sticky or oily, reminds me of a lager.
Only reason i'm giving this a 4.0 drinkability is it went down easy, and could be a good transition beer for the macro drinkers. Got me buzzed... but made me crave a real IPA!

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

A very good IPA....one you can usually get at your local store. this is my fall back IPA when i cannot get to the store that carries my favorites. the color is that of a dark golden.

the smell is that of citrus (grapefruit), it goes down with a little bite, but overall it is smooth. 6.2 %abv, and it is not the double IPA's I love (like i said it is my stand by). over all i rank it as one of my top 10 IPA's (probably around 6 or 7). Long hammer's bottle does not look like what is pictured above.

If you love IPA's....you will like this...Southern tier 2x and Laguntas Maximus are steps above this IPA, however you will pay a little more for them.

3.92/5  rDev +21%

pretty darn good. probably the best beer at my local bar, next to anchor liberty ale. basically, a very very mild ipa... (very) would not consider it to be ipa, which makes sense because the price is too good to be true. i recommend the beer in general, though if your in the mood for a good ipa, i do not recommend getting this beer.

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

I've never tried anything from Redhook so I picked up this beer in what they're calling a "Greatest Hits" 12-pack along with three other varieties. The price was $14.69 plus tax and deposit.

I'm a big IPA fan so I was hopeful that this brew would do the trick.

The appearance was nice. A golden color with about a half inch of head on it.

This IPA had a plesant smell of herbal, flowerly-like hops.

First taste was nice. It had a slight sweetness to it that I wasn't expecting. It finished very clean and left minimal after taste. In general it was relatively light and had a mild flavor of hops.

I have two more of these left and will enjoy them. Not the best IPA I've ever had, but it was nice to ty a new one.

2.37/5  rDev -26.9%

bought this at a little bar cuz we missed the train and had an hour to kill before the next one
eh is that coors light or...
not horrible but a little too fruity mostly lemon flavors, does taste clean but just not what i perfer. pretty much like a bud light thats got some lemons thrown in it.
not a whole lot of feel here, does anyone have a sprite?
not gonna drink this again, enjoyed trying it but wasn't worth $4.50 a glass or $1.50 for that matter, oh well now i know

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

Long Hammer is my secret pleasure. Another supermarket steal, particularly when it's on sale, as it was at Publix last week. Probably its only offense is that after the mild citrusy hop flavor there is pretty much... uh... mild citrusy hop flavor. That, and its mouthfeel could be a little less thin.

But one exception to the single mild citrusy note (and this is why I keep buying it) is some elusive and delicious characteristic unique to Red Hook beers -- maybe a slight malt flavor or even a water profile I'm catching (and I don't have a particularly refined palate, but I have always found Red Hook beers to have this characteristic and it's why I love them).

One way to characterize this beer is as a food-friendly IPA. For this alone I give it a very approving nod. My guess is when the big-hops fad has quelled a bit, this type of beer will stand out as an example (though not the exemplar) of a beer that pairs well with actual food people would eat at a meal. The usual line about a big IPA "going well with spicy food" is just plain dumb; a big IPA can really only stand alone -- pairing it with loud food only gives your mouth too much to deal with. But Long Hammer would even be great in a Welsh rarebit -- the cheddar would shine right through it.

3.78/5  rDev +16.7%

This guy's line summed it up: "It's not going to rock your world, but it's rock solid."

And actually, to me, that's part of the appeal of this beer. It's just a perfect go-to IPA. Quality flavor, but not too hoppy, and super drinkable. Great all year round.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

I'm not a big Red Hook fan, but I enjoyed this brew. Poured a light golden color with a thumbnail of head that disappeared quickly. There wasn't an overly present hoppy scent, but I think it had a light floral or citrusy scent. The taste was of a traditional IPA but a little malt flavor. Not too impressed with the mouthfeel, as there was a light/watery feel, but it went down easy. I don't think I could drink more than two in a sitting. Overall, better than other Red Hooks, but could be better.

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Longhammer has an IPA bite that can best be appreciated by the beach.

I picked Longhammer up when I went to North Carolina this past summer. It had the extra hops bite that really refreshed me in the warm, salty air.

I haven't had it lately, but I remember it being a step up from most IPAs

2.67/5  rDev -17.6%

Bottle into a pint. Bottled on 11/4/11.

a Clear off-yellow. Finger of white head dissipated quickly. Lacing clung to the glass in desperate spotty lines.

s Citrus hops and some burnt malt scents.

t Mild rosy/floral hops throughout. Some weak malt almost manages to overpower the hops.

m Thin and watery; the taste moved around the mouth easily and finished smooth.

o Not the hops I was expecting for an IPA. It is the main flavor of the beer, but not the star I would expect for an IPA. A hoppy bud light.

3.47/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty much clear, dark yellow with not much head but enough lacing to at least rate average. Smelled grainy and not very IPAish. No real pine or hops smell that I could detect. not that hoppy or piney like I would expect from an IPA. Some citrus and grainy flavors. A bit of malt. Still, it’s not overly bitter so I’ll rate it average. Somewhat watery and not especially bitey like I like my IPAs. Average at best.

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%

This ipa advertises itself as "bold;" perhaps they are referring to the fact that it is an ipa, it is not dark, and it does have a 6.2 abv. It advertises itself as heavily dry hopped, but that is simply not apparent in the front taste; in fact, the front taste is curiously absent. On the backside, you get your dryness and your hops, but not the satisfying bitter back a good hopped ipa will give you. On the other hand, despite the abv, this strikes me as a good session beer, where it's lack of full character is an advantage; it's really not so very bold. A decent value for the price, but not a beer that someone, looking for a new beer respect "wow" will savor without the question: "Where's the beer?"

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery