2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
View: Beers (45) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,291 | Reviews: 1,088 | Show All Ratings:
mjbrewboy

China

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%

I hadn't tried this beer in awhile. It seems like it's gone through a few changes over the years and I thought I'd give it another taste. The bottle I had tasted better than I remember it. Nice and brilliant with a straw color. Decent body and head retention. Fairly dry aftertaste. I noticed a nice hop bouquet on the nose which suggests it was dry-hopped. Maybe it wasn't, perhaps just really fresh as the beer had a born on date suggesting the beer was less than two weeks old. I thought it was a good beer that I will sample again in the near future.

04-06-2005 03:34:38 | More by mjbrewboy
MaltFrazier

3.18/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: After pouring this beer into my glass, I said I might have to pass. A light honey, golden color. The appearance brought about a dissapearance in my excitement. A litle cloudy, with very little lacing, half finger head, quite a mysterious Spread for an IPA.

Smell: The Aroma of this beer was nothing more than quintessential. Walt did not smell any Malt. A very light and citrusy scent tingles the nostrils. Yeasty, with light floral/ hoppy smell, I could tell this IPA would not make my day.

Taste: The ingredients lacked cohesiveness like the 07-08 Knicks. Fist, a Citrus, orange taste fills the palate. The taste transitions into a typical IPA, hoppy taste. However, the hops did not take it to the hoop and score like David Lee. More like, they lingered around he post, dribbled, and dissolved quickly with little tenacity. However, The Beer then moves to yet a third taste that is not a waste, a medium Malty flavor....the savior! Overall, not a very impressive, hoppy flavor for an IPA.

Mouth Feel: Light like the sight. Quickly becomes foamy with a malty sensation. A watery mouthful with light carbonation ,litle preservation.

Drinkability: This beer was not a Slam Dunk...or should I say a Slam Drunk! I had to pass and say no thank you to seconds. It was not what I was expecting from an IPA. However, not Stephon Marbury Horrible...more like Charles smith...it's not what it's supposed to be but it can be adequate if the right pieces are in place. Drinking this with a meal will turn up the appeal of the flavor, but without it is not something I would like to savor.

01-08-2008 02:04:11 | More by MaltFrazier
sdockter

Idaho

3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

After pouring into a pint glass, there was a lot of carbonation, and a very large white head. Yellow-orange color, more towards yellow. Good head retention.

Aroma was citrus and pine hops, very little malt aroma.

Flavor was citrus and pine hops with very little malt to back it up. Dry clean finish. Body is very light, beer is very drinkable. This beer is not really to style and is more like a pale ale than an IPA. A drinkable beer, but very middle of the road for an IPA.

05-23-2008 21:44:43 | More by sdockter
AJFitz

New Hampshire

3.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: pours a light golden color, very clear, fairly light compared to some other IPAs I've had. thin head which shrinks quickly, but remains enough to produce good lacing throughout.

Smell: can definitely smell the hops with a hint of citrus flavors too.

Taste: slight taste of the malts, some citrus flavors, and the hop taste to finish it off. Nothing is too overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: thin, lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: for an IPA it goes down smooth. Not a whole lot of flavor from any one part of it, but not a bad beer to sip on during the summer months, not what I would consider a true IPA, but it does have a good taste if you're not looking for that big hop flavor.

06-22-2008 16:46:51 | More by AJFitz
Chuggs

3.7/5  rDev +13.5%

At first pouring very disappointed. Weak frosting and watery apperance. Aroma not full with light fullness, not expected from an IPA. The Pale Ale I had previously presented much better. But don't sell this ale short. Has good drinkability with a nice bitter hop and refreshing feel on the tongue. This guy is much better than its rating.

12-20-2008 03:16:13 | More by Chuggs
danriverbrew

Had this IPA on tap at Kick Back Jack's in Danville, VA.

Appearance: Had a nice amber apperance. Knowing that it was an IPA a head of time, my first thought was: "Darker IPA = Stronger IPA".

SMELL: Starting to think I judged it to soon. Not a whole lot of aroma. There were some suddle floral notes but not as much as one would hope for in a good IPA.

TASTE: Acceptable taste. Nice, sweet, hoppy, kinda citrus. A good basic IPA taste profile.

MOUTHFEEL: Not too much carbonation but a nice bitterness at the end of a sip.

DRINKABILITY: A good drinkable IPA. Although I pre judged this beer early, I was over all satified. I ordered two more after that. There just wasn't a whole lot to write home about.

02-07-2011 23:53:02 | More by danriverbrew
Bodart

1.35/5  rDev -58.6%

I am a big ipa fan and have tried many india pale ales brewed by numerous breweries. Long Hammer is not impressive at all. The smell was bordering on sour, and the taste wasn't any better....no citrus notes like most good india pale ales. Perhaps I got an outdated specimen...if not ....Long Hammer isn't very impressive.

03-21-2011 06:19:39 | More by Bodart
dfwprosportsjon

4.5/5  rDev +38%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A Pilsner look with light golden color and nice head that dissipates slowly to thin head that lasts. Limited veins.
S Very hoppy aroma.
T Very smooth, sweet IPA with limited bitterness. Grapefruit hop taste that lingers.
M Very smooth drink that is arguably my favorite part of the selection. Maybe the smoothest IPA I've ever had.
O A good sweet IPA with enough bitterness for the style but with a sweetness and creaminess that makes it unique. Very drinkable. This beer gets surprisingly poor reviews and I think it's due to it being on the light side hop wise for the style. I understand that criticism but it has solid bitterness and it's creaminess and drinkability make it unique. It's the opposite of a Stone selection but has it's place in the beer pantheon as a lighter hopped, smoother IPA. Underrated in my opinion.

05-28-2012 17:00:42 | More by dfwprosportsjon
stangbat

Kansas

2.6/5  rDev -20.2%

This beer finally got me off my butt and motivated me to write a review. And I’m not writing because it is good. As others have stated, calling this an IPA is marketing, plain and simple. If not downright deceit. The only attribute it has that is even comparable to an IPA is the 6.0% alcohol content.

I can detect almost no hops smell, and the only real trace of hops I can detect is a slight bitterness, though it is not harsh or unpleasant.

Overall the malt and hops are fairly balanced, but nothing to get excited about. Although I wouldn’t necessarily say this beer is horrible, it doesn’t do anything for me, and I can't rate it high in any particular category when it is claiming to be someting it clearly isn't. Maybe if they called it a pale ale or something more close to what it really is, I wouldn’t have been so disappointed.

08-22-2004 01:45:11 | More by stangbat
CplHunter

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle: Modern label. I've always enjoyed Red Hook's label style here. Bottled on 12-18-06 (more on this later).

A: Pours a clear light honey color. Small, perfectly sized frothy head which dissipates slowly into a small, clingy, broken lace. Excellent, unending carbonation. Very nice head for an IPA. Very appealing.

S: Hops hit me first. Some orange peel in there? Slightly. More hops. Overall a light unoverpowering scent. It wouldn't scare away a macro drinker.

T: Pleasantly hopped. A tad bit of sweetness. The taste buds are hinting at sour, but I'm not tasting it. Rather weak hoppiness for an IPA. Bitterness lingers, but not as strongly as I had expected. Bitter doesn't really come through strongly until well after the finish. Longer in the glass, the sour comes through, but only slightly. Well balanced, if light.

M: Carbonation hits the sides and front of the tongue when sipped. Not too dry. Comfortable. Nothing else remarkable here.

D: Quite tasty...quenching, perhaps. I think I'll have another.

Summary: I would definitely like to try this beer on a hot summer's afternoon. It's not your typical IPA, in that the hops don't take charge of the rest of the beer. While that may be appealing to some taste-wise, it's not what I expected. Nonetheless, it certainly has it's place in my arsenal. I think this is a good beer for introduction of macro-drinkers into the IPA realm. It's not overpoweringly bitter, and it goes down easy. However, it packs a wallop alc%-wise.

BIA (Buy It Again?): Absolutely...especially at the $2.99/six pack that I got it for this time! It may be "old" (3 whole months), but it's an IPA! (Don't tell the liquor stores our dirty little secret!)

03-24-2007 03:48:56 | More by CplHunter
BillA

4.3/5  rDev +31.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet resulted in a decent head.

Rather murky dark appearance.

This is a good ( though rather mild) American IPA. Nicely bitter and hoppy onset, with this bitterness predominating throughout. Struck me as a toned-down version of Stone's highly regarded Ruination. Doesn't have the more complex citrusy flavors of some single-hopped IPA's, but a winner just the same.

07-20-2007 13:27:46 | More by BillA
chadhops

I tried this beer on vacation in NC and was pretty happy to find another IPA to try....

The color was probably one of the lighter IPA's i've seen with it being a golden pale

Pour was very clean and not much head on it...seemed very carbonated and with a soda pop-like bubble to it.

Smell was just okay. there was a hint of aroma but probably towards the bottom when compared to other IPAs

Taste followed the smell with there feeling like i wasn't getting the whole taste....like it was missing something...but there was a decent bitter to it.

Drinkability was light but not enjoyable. I found myself good and 2 bottles then decided to move on to something else.

In all, it was good to try once try but not exactly what I'd expect from an IPA.

06-30-2009 19:31:24 | More by chadhops
hedonist91

2.65/5  rDev -18.7%

A-looks like an IPA, nice golen color.

S-smells like an IPA for a second, but then has malty sweet smell reminiscent of an American Amber ale, def. not appropriate to style

T-Hops aren't at the forefront, they seem like they're taking the backseat to the malty sweetness, although the maltiness really isn't there as a decent foundation, it's not as if it's there to support the hop wallop, which there is no wallop of. The maltiness is sweet and short-lived, again, like an Amber.

M-diacetyl-slightly slick, but the body is close to correct for the style.

D-I'd pick this over most taps of the garbage that's in my area in most pubs, but I sure wouldn't tell a hophead that it's an IPA to even mention.

07-13-2010 23:29:18 | More by hedonist91
IwuvBEER

Missouri

2.17/5  rDev -33.4%

I paid way to much for this 6 pack. I gues you could say it resembles an IPA...kind of. Its like brown ale/pale ale hybrid. When I taste it what comes to mind is taking a Fat Tire and mixing it 50-50 with a Sierra Nevada pale ale. Its not terrible, just not an IPA. I don't think I will ever drink this again.

08-05-2010 01:45:59 | More by IwuvBEER
LosAngelesJoinMe

2.48/5  rDev -23.9%

Not sure I can say I am disappointed since I never read about this beer in the first place so there was no hype to live up to. However, I am disappointed that I randomly chose this beer due to a limited selection at an El Segundo liquor store on Main street for Thanksgiving. I guess I would prefer it over a Budweiser though.

Appearance- No personality. Slightly cloudy brown and about one and a half fingers of short lived head.

Smell- Minimal hints of the hops and malt but not distinguished enough to form its own personality.

Taste- Lacks distinguishment in taste. Hard to discribe because there are no well defined characteristics that stand out. Bitterness is present but lacks a true IPA's attributes.

Mouthfeel- An unsatisfying dry feel. Bitterness is slightly there and no real punch in carbonation.

Drinkability- Goes down rather easily but just lacks the IPA quenchness.

11-27-2010 06:23:43 | More by LosAngelesJoinMe
wmcneill26

2.3/5  rDev -29.4%

Good initial taste and mouthfeel. Not overly hoppy. Have since found out the reason that it's not overly hoppy is because it's not really an IPA! IPA fans steer clear. Initial aftertaste is OK, but it lingers and tasted like a bad American lite beer and grossed me out. Compare that aftertaste with a true IPA where it's a nice blend of hops and fruits. Not impressed with this beer especially when compared to real IPAs.

01-21-2011 17:11:58 | More by wmcneill26
altadenabrou

3.1/5  rDev -4.9%

The color is a pale tan and the head is not substantive but basically average, certainly acceptable. Too much carbonation that dissipates too quickly! The malt flavor is also perhaps too light to really taste satisfying. The alcohol is right for an IPA, but the hopping is weak, in terms of bitterness and aroma. I hear that this is much improved on draft and even better if you can find it served real-ale style, cask conditioned. Not as good as their ESB!

12-17-2003 03:35:51 | More by altadenabrou
Gator1107

4.33/5  rDev +32.8%

Appearance: Nice golden orangish color with a slight head, not thick.

Smell: Very strong scent of hops, and a blend of citrus

Taste: Very refreshing, the first swig is overcoming with hops, followed with the taste of grapefruit. Finshes off with a nice bitter fruit after taste.

Mouthfeel: A very bitter beer, which makes it so wonderful, dries me out leaving we wanting more.

Drinkability: This has become one of my favorites. Reason one, it is very affordable compared to what else is available locally. The second reason, it has become available now in my area on a consistent basis. And third, it is a well crafted beer with a wonderful flavor and taste, A great beer for everyday drinking or special occassions.

08-13-2007 22:48:37 | More by Gator1107
Wilceaser

3.7/5  rDev +13.5%

I was surprised to find it on tap, so I had to try it.
Tap Poured Very cold!!! into a plastic cup, this detracted from the experience as you could not get a good read on the color of the beer due to semi transparency off the cup
Head was off white, color was golden to slight amber clear no haze. that I could see
Aroma: had a cascade hop citrus aroma with a little centennial mixed in, Taste was citrusy with a kent golding bite, not very spicy.
Slight after taste, good body, the glass I had did not have any skunky taste as reported in other reviews.

It was a refreshing beer. If your looking for a Hop Bomb, this is not your beer, if you want a fair representation of a Midlle of the road American IPA , well here ya go...

04-06-2008 05:16:36 | More by Wilceaser
burcher

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

OK. At first drink this is a decent and even alternative american pale ale available at most of our local grocery stores. Two or 3 six-packs might lead one to decide this is a fine example of an APA and a decent every day drinker. Having consumed many more than that I think this is a very inconsistent example of an apa and a bit funky (not in a good way) pale.

Aroma and hop flavor are not typical grassy and fruity. Rather, a bit earthy and not in a way that is expected. Color, head, carbonation etc. all fine. The biggest difference in this beer is the hop flavor that comes across as dirty or unhealthy as if RH is using cheap or otherwise undesirable hops to build the hop backbone. Sometimes this is a nice, unique, and different flavor but upon further experience it comes across as cheap.

In the world of grocery store APAs this one is near the bottom although it is not a horrible beer by any means.

c+

11-29-2009 00:26:39 | More by burcher
Messiahbolical

Arizona

3.93/5  rDev +20.6%

I bought the Reedhook Brewers Choice pack from Costco... 24 beers for $21. How could I go wrong? Well, that's what I first thought until I saw some of the reviews around here. Then I was worried. But after trying this beer, I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this beer for what it was, and not just comparing it to other IPAs.

Appearance - Plain. Enough said. Very mediocre in this area, just gold, very little cloudiness, and very little lacing.

Smell - Decent, but nothing to write home about. Not as "in your face" as other IPAs, but a nice floral smell. Nothing offputting.

Taste - I actually like the taste alot, unlike a lot of people on here. It's obviously not a very strong to the tastebuds... but it's pleasant to the tastebuds. Definitely more floral and citrus hops. Very little pine. Hardly any malts. Nice and clean though, very little aftertaste. This beer is great for when you're in the mood to drink a beer with the flavors of an IPA but not as overpowering as an IPA usually is.

Mouthfeel - This is where this beer really starts to excel. Can you say smooth? This beer goes down so easy it isn't even funny. Easily one of the most "refreshing" beers I've ever drank. It almost feels hydrating in a way when you're drinking it. So light bodied and the perfect amount of carbonation. This is the "Bud Light" of IPAs. Feels watery in the mouth, and in this beer's case that's a good thing. This might be the only IPA I've ever tried that I'd use in beer pong. Awesome.

Drinkability - Feels hydrating, smooth, moderate level ABV, little aftertaste, amazingly light for the style, clean, crisp... the most sessionable IPA ever made, at least that I've ever tried or heard of.

So pretty much even though this beer is a let down if you're looking for something to wow you with it's intense flavors... this beer is AMAZING if you just want to get drunk off beer for cheap but don't want to suffer through similarly priced bullcrap such as Miller or Bud. I would DEFINITELY buy this again for that very reason.

Check it out next time you want something cheap and light to drink in mass quantities.

01-09-2011 01:54:14 | More by Messiahbolical
gh02t

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

Picked it up at the grocery store because I had not tried it before, from the bottle into my most prized pint glass.

A- pale golden, slightly hazy. 1 finger of head that thins a little quickly but leaves a decent lace behind.

S- citrus and pine maybe a hint of grassiness. Not strong, but pleasant enough.

T- generic American IPA, not bad at all but not particularly amazing. Taste is overwhelmingly pine-hops, though not too terribly strong. A hint of maltiness on the way down. Not the best balance of flavors. Doesnt go well with food.

M- it bubbles. You can swallow it if you choose.

Overall- eh. Slightly better than average.

04-09-2011 19:39:17 | More by gh02t
glockmanpat

3.8/5  rDev +16.6%

Ap - clear amber color slight head that doesn't last long

Ar - Pine notes as well as some malty notes.

T - Some bitterness and malt characteristics. Easy to drink.

M - about right for the style. Easy on the tongue.

O - descent beer that i don't believe will win any awards but definitely a drinkable everyday beer. And at only $18.00 in the Philadelphia market it will not break the bank. I will definitely be drinking this beer again.

Serving type: can

10-30-2012 01:21:33 | More by glockmanpat
mreatsum

Indiana

3.38/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tried this beer out of desperation for hop flavor at my small town liquor store. I was mildly surprised. Don't really know or care how it looks in a glass. It does smell excellent. The taste is fair and balanced. Not really over the top hops but you do taste it some. The aftertaste stays with you, which I love. A little bland for an IPA, has very little malt sweetness. In the mouth its very refreshing no burn or bite. Overall, I enjoyed this blind purchase. I would by it again but the price is a factor in that. I give major points to year long availability, which this is. There are better and there are worse. Give it a try, you will not be let down.

09-22-2013 07:41:04 | More by mreatsum
uiplanner

Nebraska

2.53/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Redhook's original IPA was one of my "gateway beers" that transitioned me into drinking something other than Leine's and Guiness. I haven't had one for years, but I saw the new name and packaging and thought I'd try this one out for old time's sake ... and this beer was disappointing all around. Last night I had one with some pizza, and it was fine. Tonight on it's own, not so much.

I'll just cut to the taste. Lots of grapefruit and pine needle taste, and some unexpected buttery sweetness, and not much else. 15 minutes later, it's still there on my tongue and it's not good. The hops is there, and I'm a fan of the hops, but the hops taste lacks some complexity that makes a good IPA. In the "cheap" beer category of $6 a six-pack, there are much better IPA choices.

06-17-2007 03:05:46 | More by uiplanner