Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
3.01/5  rDev -8%

Pours clear gold with a smallish head. Nice lacing though. Not much aroma- just some herbal hops. Taste is pretty average. A bit of malt sweetness and character but mostly dominated by a rather harsh bitterness throughout. Not a lot of hop flavor complexity. Medium to perhaps a bit light bodied. Moderately carbonated. Pretty drinkable. Not bad overall just unexciting.

2.46/5  rDev -24.8%

Straw clear yellow to gold/copper. Nice white, tight head, good retention and good lace.

Smells of citrus (lemon, grapefruit) clean not much else.

Caramel malt, citrus, mostly lemon with a touch of grapefruit. Gets very sour as it warms, disturbingly so.

Sticky, light to medium body

The sour finish almost had me dump this one near the end but I perciveered and finished it. I will not be having it again.

2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

3.66/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap in a pint glass.

Am I drinking a different beer than many other reviewers? I don't find this beer so bad.

A- It's an amber color with a 1f creamy linen-white head. Good retention, nice rings of lacing.

S- It smells ok. Mild hop aroma, some citrus and earthiness.

T- Densely concentrated hop flavors. Floral and citrus. Some caramel malts, too.

M- Medium feel and good carbonation. It lacks bitterness, too clean.

O- Not great, but not a brew that I'd turn down. The hops do get lost in the finish.

2.54/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not very hoppy, which is okay with me, but hop heads will be very disappointed.

2.65/5  rDev -19%

Purchased from Target in Jones Valley, Huntsville, AL.

I thought I already reviewed this, but it turns out I drank my entire six-pack before I got the chance. So I bought a single today especially to review.

For an IPA, a disappointing pour. The color is okay, very light and clear reddish-orange-yellow tinge, but with virtually no head, and what head is there goes away almost immediately. If I was reviewing this as a Pale Ale, I'd be rating it higher.

Smell is almost entirely of hops here. No real malt backbone, and very little fruit. Suppose that's as it should be for an IPA, but I'm a bit disappointed that the aroma is *all* hops.

Taste is a bit more balanced. Hop profile up front, with a bit of a grapefruit flavor following shortly therafter, and a bitter finish. I can handle hops just fine, but here they seem "flabby", almost as if they're tired and just plain old. Compared to the crisp hoppiness of a Sweetwater IPA or an Arrogant Bastard, this isn't anything to be impressed over. Still, it's decent enough.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, with quite a bit of carbonation.

There are *much* better IPAs out there. This is almost all hops, and they're not even good hops. As a standby when you need a dose of bitter, I suppose it's decent enough, but beer geeks can almost always do better.

2.73/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a shaker glass.

Pours a medium straw with a nice finger and a half head that leaves moderate lace. No visible cloud.

Aroma is medicinal and floral hops, light grain profile and honey on buttermilk biscuits.

Flavor is of grassy hops. Smallish sweet malt profile is overpowered by hop flavor. The sweetness is cloying without the malt flavor to support it. Very watery flavor, bland at times.

The mouthfeel was thin and watery. Drinkable, if you can handle the sweetness.

3.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Well...my wife knows i like IPAs, so she picked this one up for me...a sweet gesture at least.

Kind of a a dull yellow pour...spotty lacing though, and a small ring of head remained for the duration.

Not much aroma on this one...especially for an IPA...where is the citrus, pine? Almost getting an adjunct scent in this one...oops.

Certainly not what you want in an IPA...but not horrible...more malt in this one than hops, a bit of sweetness initially but i'm having a tough time finding the hops.

I'm not gonna slam this one, even though I'm not sure IPA status is correct. It doesn't taste horrible...but it certainly doesn't taste like an IPA. Try again Long Hammer...I'll give you another shot.

2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

3.5/5  rDev +7%

3.5/5  rDev +7%

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

Well, after reading some of the reviews here for Redhook IPA, I'm pretty convinced I'm drinking a different beer. This Redhook IPA pours a clear blonde hue, with a good deal of carbonation that settles to a think layer of bubbles. The appearance is okay. There's a decent amount of "piney" hops in the aroma; which is pleasant. The flavor is pleasant and hoppy enough for me, certainly for a Sunday afternoon. The finish is quite bitter but in a very tasty way.A slight toasted malt flavor keeps this beer from being to boring. Overall, this is a light-bodied IPA that IMO has a good enough hop signature that I'd drink it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

3.17/5  rDev -3.1%

I had this last night and i thought it was a pretty solid IPA, it had a solid bitterness and hop kick, however it gets a low session rating because something about it, maybe the aftertaste bothered me by the end of the 6 pack that made me not want to drink much more of it. I highly nejoyed the first one, but it dropped off

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a tulip glass.
Aroma- has a nice citrus aroma with a hint of grains
Appearance- a golden yellow with a small white head that lingers
Taste- a nice crisp semi-tart flavor, not overpowering but well balanced
Palate- a dry beer that has medium carbonation and is also medium bodied
Overall- a really good beer from Red Hook, I would drink this again.

2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance- Pours a very light amber with a large layer of fluffy white head. Leaves some lacing, but it quickly disappears.

Aroma- Lots of floral hops and a very small note of malt sweetness. Maybe some biscuit in there to.

Taste- A bit disappointing. Has a good hop profile. Lots of fresh fresh-cut grassy, pine and other flavoring hops. Bitterness level is pretty good to. But there is very little malt or malt sweetness. This is more like a hop tea than a beer. But, despite the disappointment, I still managed to drink the entire 6-pack.

Mouthfeel- Medium to light-bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm a hop-head, and even I didn't care for it. Not that the hops were to much, but the malt was to little. Stick with Redhooks IPA. It's much better.

3.52/5  rDev +7.6%

3.01/5  rDev -8%

A not-quite-clear orange/gold with a short-lived head but excellent lacing.

Yes, the hops are there in a understated, piny fashion but there's a shocking malt profile highlighted instead. In fact, the beer begins to grow flat-out grainy in aroma as it warms.

Way too malty/sweet up front to be an IPA. Artificial corn-like flavor floods the palate. The beer is saved somewhat by an assertive and long hop finish. Unfortunately that finish takes too long to materialize. The alpha acid does seem a bit higher than I'd expect from a bigger brewery, though. As the beer warms up the macro corn taste creeps back up in a big way.

The body may be the strongest aspect of the beer. Solid body, no hop oiliness, even -handed carbonation. An average to below average IPA but drinkable nonetheless. I could see snagging a 6 pack of this if I were in a convenience store stocked only with macros. Otherwise, I'm keeping my distance.

3.42/5  rDev +4.6%

Had this on-tap at the Black Rooster Pub in D.C.

A: Somewhat average golden IPA that's a bit too clear and filtered.

S: Fruity; slight citrus (mostly orange) overtones. Hops definitely poke out.

T: Watered-down fruity esters and the floral hops. However, hops kick back in at the end and leaves a decent bite.

M: Somewhat over-carbonated as it hits the tongue, but ends up leaving the mouth buttery and slick.

D: Smooth, but more of a watered-down IPA than anything... like IPA for beginners to the style, to ease them in. I prefer mine more intense.

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%