Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,138 | Hads: 3,046
2.68/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured into a tulip glass. Translucent orange color with about an inch and a half of white head. Very, very mild citrus smell.

Tastes pretty metallic, with orange, bitter grapefruit, and hops. Generally pretty mild taste.

The mouthfeel is watery.

Overall, drinkable, but definitely not one of the better IPAs Ive had. (323 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

A: amber, carbonated, thin carbonated head (very bubbly), dissipated quickly after pouring

S: very faint hops, almost no smell at all

T: light resin hoppiness but very light, slight sharpness, slight yeasty aftertaste

M: very carbonated, can feel the carbonation if you let it sit in your mouth - fizzy on the tongue, feels fizzy when swallowing. Carbonation is almost distracting from the flavor.

Overall: light and easily drinkable, but nothing particularly memorable as an IPA (483 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Purchased 2/28/15, Bottled 11/14
Look: Golden, cloudy
Smell: Sweet, per fumy
Taste: Hmmm - water with hops. Mild with slight aftertaste
Feel: thin

If you want a beer to go with any food without complimenting or overpowering it, this should be it. I would go with a hopped farmhouse. (288 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

this is by no means a bad beer, its just not a very good beer. I like IPA's a lot and i enjoy the taste, but this is fairly lacking as far as taste goes. I couldn't believe that it had 6.5% alcohol, i couldn't taste, though i could certainly feel it after a few. So I guess this could go both ways, if you like the taste of IPA's stay away, but if you like to get drunk quick on a easily drinkable but tasteless beer, buy buy buy! (430 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -37.6%

This beer does not taste like an IPA at all, more like a lager I would say. There was one six on the shelf on a recent trip to FLA giving the impression that it might be in demand. I love IPAs and that is really all I want to drink but this beer is awful for an IPA. The people at Red Hook are drunk on something better or don't know what an IPA is. Even calling this an Impotent Pale Ale would give it too much credit. I could not taste any hops no matter how I tried. The appearance is the only half decent characteristic of this brew. (537 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -7.5%

A- nice head and color
S- Hoppy and quite malty
T- Bitter at first then it kind of mellows out
M- Definetly not the best, but I did think that it was fairly on target for an IPA
D- After two I had to stop...

Overall I love IPA's and I used to think this was one of my favs, as I have had a chance to expand my beers I would have to say that this falls a little short... (371 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Long hammer is a great beginners IPA. Mellow piney citrus hop. A bit more bite than a session beer. Easy to drink for the masses. Well built beer in the northwest with good ingredients. Now only if the would mass produce Big Ballard Imperial. That is a wonderful imperial IPA. (276 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -29.2%

12 oz. bottle purchased for $5.99 per sixer at Supermarket

A: Probably the only good quality of this beer...filtered clarity. I think they took some flavor away with the filters. Head was thin and disappeared quickly.

S: Faint cirtus aroma...enough not to scare away the bud light drinkers.

T: Very little going on here. A hint of crystal malt flavor balanced with a sprinkle of cascade hops. More of a hop tea than a beer. 6.5% alcohol? Where? I don't get any alcohol warming.

M: Thin and watery...some IPA's should be if only base malt is used, but this beer obvioulsy has some dextrin malts added to the grist. Mouthfeel suffers from undercarbonation as well.

D: Well, if you like hoppy American Light Lagers, this beer is for you.

O: This is NOT an IPA. This is a poor interpretation of an American Pale Ale. Thanks BudHook for further confusing the beer drinking public. Now those beer neophytes will think this is what real beer tastes like. (965 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -20.2%

From bottle to mouth, ie, drinking from the bottle.

Smooth very mild hop taste, no linger, no bite.
For an IPA, very dull.
Red Hook has yet to impress me and with the "long hammer" I thought they wouldve, heh, "nailed" it, but they missed.
Wouldnt buy a 6pk, but would have on with a friend and then go on to tell them how a real IPA should bite me in the ass. (361 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -26.7%

Had this on tap at Indigo Joes. I'd not heard good things about it, but decided to give it a try since it's so rare to even find an IPA on tap in Arizona.

Looks a little pale when poured. Not much of the darker orange color typical of the style. Doesn't really taste like an IPA at all. Not really a blast of hops or malt, but a little overriding sourness to it.

Not one I would try again. With all the good IPAs out there, it makes you wonder why a place would feature this as their only IPA. (495 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Is this really an IPA? This was the third beer I had had that night, the other two were not IPAs so I wanted a stong, bold, shot of hops...did not find it.

A- very light orange/yellow color with less than a 1/4 inch of head.

S-A Bitter,Pine smell

T- my taste score is based on the fact that "IPA" is on the front of the bottle. It left me searching for more taste and I could not find it. It has a slight bitter taste.

M- smooth

Overall: As far as IPA's go this is in a catagory of its own. It is much smoother/ lighter than any IPA I have had, but that being said it did have some different flavors that interested me. This is a beer that I thnk if I drank a few more I might increase my score. It was very easy to drink and the new bottle and lable are very cool. (772 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -21.7%

Single 12 oz. bottle poured into a sam adams glass. Bottled on 07.08.08 not the freshest but not ancient...

Appearance: Golden, clear with a quickly disappearing smallish head. Carbonation bubbles very slight.

Aroma: Sweet malt and some hop aroma.

Flavor: Some hop flavor but nothing to write home about. More akin to an English pale ale not an American IPA. Some definite diacetyl more than my liking (which is a very low threshold) and not to style. Bready notes.

Mouthfeel: Decent mouthfeel for the style. Would support the malt and hops if the were there. Some body not too thin. Head is very short lived.

Overall: Drinkable but not an AIPA. This has been either a bad day for beers or my memory is rapidly diminishing. I had remembered this as a pretty decent IPA. I was "in the mood" for some IPA's today and bought a few singles of ones I had thought to be good in the past. This was strike 2 out of 3. Let's hope the next doesn't let me down... (957 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -47.8%

Bitter.

That about sums it up. I think you would have to be a real IPA nut to be able to appreciate this beer. It was just too bitter for me. Not really hop tasting just bitter. After a few it became a bit more drinkable but the lack of flavour along with the bitterness just killed it for me.

I don't usually find any beer to be bad, but if I had to choose one, this would be it. :(

Still however, if you can appreciate an IPA, give this a try. Who knows you might enjoy it. Always try a beer once IMO! (506 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%

poured from bottle into glass

A- gold color. poured with a one finger head that keeps pretty well for a little bit then dissipates.

b- hit right away with a pleasant smell. fairly hoppy, flowery aroma.

T- pretty high, but not overly carbonated. balance between hops and malts is nice, nice hop flavor, but disappointed with the lower than expected hop presence from an ipa.

m - a little light in feel but not watery. goes down smooth.

d - very easy to drink. could throw back several, though not quite a session beer with the slightly higher alcohol level. would definitely have another, although id choose many others before this one. (643 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I used to buy this when it was 1.99 at my local store. The price went up to about 3 bucks and I wish I remembered how much I dislike it, maybe the recipe changed but im just not digging the taste or the after-burn. Reminds me of drinking natty-ice at the softball field when i was younger (288 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -56.8%

This is a disgusting beer. Maybe I had a bad 6-pack, but I won't be buying another to find out.

This beer has a nice golden colour to it, and leaves a loose bubbly head. Reminds me of Michelob from appearance. The smell is flat, and smells strongly of chemicals. The taste was even worse, the flavour resemebling a fake hop taste with a disgusting aftertaste that made me think of a local chemical company. After a while this cleared and left a decent taste in the mouth.

The beer feels good in the mouth, but the flavour and smell are bad. This beer does not rate for me in the IPA style and makes me feel that the brewer simple took a cheap beer and added some more hops. (679 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -31.4%

Got a six pack of this junk on the way home from work. It says IPA-I like IPAs-but this shit isn't IPA. It just isn't. Try it and you'll see.

Appearance-like I said...says IPA, but isn't. I suppose the color could be that of an IPA, the typical darkish red-golden-brown, but beyond the label and color there is not any IPA here.

Smell-not any strong hoppiness like there should be. This is not IPA.

Taste-I don't know what this shit tastes like. Not IPA. It says it's bitter and on the label and as least that is the truth. I don't know how to describe this except as sort of skunky. But it wasn't skunked.

M-Nothing special. Kind of metallic and bitter I guess. Pretty carbonated too...

Drinkability-Considering how bitter this crap is it went down suprisingly easy. However, at the time at had this, I had just gotten done with a nice long bike ride and was shooting the shit with my riding buddy, so anything would have tasted good if it was beer. So, not so bad, but this is not that good. Don't get it if you think it is IPA. Redhook is full of crap on this one. (1,082 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -56.2%

A - pours a slightly hazed, relatively clear golden yellow. Minimal bleach white head.

S - extremely mild fruity smell, maybe a tad piney. minimal hops, not nearly as pungent as I'd hoped/expected, to be honest it smells kind of funky, like the sludge at bottom of my fermentation bucket.

T - unpleasant, asprin-like/metallic bitterness that truly doesn't taste much like any IPA I've ever had. A little citrus acidity. A faint malt body makes this beer tolerable at least. Where are the hops? And why does this taste like a battery? I can't see how a brewer could be like "Yep, this will be our IPA." This beer has a lack of balance on multiple levels.

M - Mild, a little sticky after the swallow. Pretty oily and light in the mouth.

D - To be honest, I'm upset that I bought six of these. I might just drink all of them tonight and get it over with. (857 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Date on beer reads October 2nd, 2007 so this beer is about 25 days old. Not bad... although I am 45 minutes from the brewery.

Pours a light brownish-orange with a significant amount of clarity. Little head that drops quickly. Moderate amount of lacing. Smell is hoppy, with hints of pine needles and citrus. Taste follows suit with a citric and piney taste. Mouthfeel is a light cream that coats the mouth for a moment. I enjoy this beer. Perhaps it is part of my bias towards Washington and Oregon brewers, perhaps it is my ability to get beers this fresh. This beer is one of my session beverages of choice (along with Broken Halo IPA) I recommend it to anyone who wants a good beer for a decent price. Although, it may be more expensive elsewhere. Also, I have not tried this version that is brewed out east. People say that is even better. (844 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +18.6%

A- Coppery, lots of head, quite a bit of lacing once poured.

S- Smells good, has kind of a flowery/citrus type smell which I really like because it is pretty unique.

T- Bitter but not too bitter, hints of grapefruit and lots of hops. My first impression was that it had kind of an herbal taste to it.

D- It is not as smooth as it cohuld be, it still good though. (365 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +26.4%

This is not the best IPA I've ever had, but as an easily accessible IPA I love it. The color is a golden brown with a very floral nose. As for the taste, it has a very sharp hop bite that finish very cleanly, no questionable after taste. I enjoy it with a meal or on it's own. (276 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +4%

I felt like having an IPA I hadn't tried yet and stumbled across this one. As many have said, it's basically something of a watered down version of an IPA, not particularly bad, but nothing special.

The color is a nice yellow/amber with decent lacing. The head is small though somewhat lasting. The aroma is malty, very similar to the Red Hook ESB, with a noticeably piney hoppiness.

Basically, imagine the ESB with more hops. The pine smell/taste is just about all they impart. They add bitterness and standard aroma, but little complexity and few other flavors. This is a drinkable beer and nice on a hot day, but nothing to go out of one's way for. Many other better IPAs exist, and at equal or lesser prices as well. However, it could be a good introduction to the style for those accustomed to less hoppy beers. (818 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -10.9%

a: It looked like beer, gold, no head, slightly fizzy

s: weak hints of pear

t: light hop flavor, slightly sweet, not much there.

m: smooth, but watery. slightly carbed. easy to drink

o: A weak, all around IPA. I've had Pale ales with more hop punch than this. It's a nice drinkable beer, maybe as a gateway IPA, just not what I expect from an IPA. (352 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice refreshing IPA, not too bitter with a long lasting malty taste

Its the kind of beer I would drink a lot of if it wasn't quite so strong, but I drink a lot of it anyways...

Bottle in the picture is not the same as the bottle imported to Ireland.

Nice all round IPA (271 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours gold and turns orange as it settles. Not much head. The smell upon opening the bottle is somewhat promising with an assurance of strong bitterness, which I prefer in an IPA. However the bitterness of this beer overpowers any other intended flavor, and leaves such an unappealing after-taste that I found it difficult to finish. (333 characters)

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery