Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,013 | Reviews: 1,180
3.63/5  rDev +11%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love the taste of a hoppy beer. With that being said this beer for me is a go to when I want a strong IPA with a mild finish and a full body. It has a bit of an aftertaste that is a pine type finish. It is a solid beer that I think is underrated. The smell is clean and the hops really jump out. Overall a great beer that should be tried.

2.27/5  rDev -30.6%

What a disappointment, although I say that only because Long Hammer is the only IPA in the house right now and I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Long Hammer is a flat, one-dimensional beer that offers nothing in the way of excitement or hoppy complexity. Redhook is a brewery that, like Sam Adams, survives and thrives by virtue of a carefully crafted image. But the image is crafted with greater care than their beers, and even Sam Adams makes one or two rewarding beers (such as Rebel IPA).

I keep hoping for something daring from Redhook, but this is definitely not it. One suspects that Long Hammer was invented because Redhook feared that they were perceived as lacking imagination. "I know - let's make an IPA" they said at a brainstorming session. But they came up with something as inoffensive as Fat Tire in an effort to attract exactly the same consumers. In this, I believe they have succeeded.

2.19/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Clear gold with a fluffy eggshell cap, a bit sticky on the glass with fair head retention. Not much aroma, a bit of mild citrus and malt. Thin flavour that fell away in the finish. Light malt, hint of citrus, biscuit and marshmallow. Light bodied, average carbonation. A bit disappointing overall.

3.66/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap in a pint glass.

Am I drinking a different beer than many other reviewers? I don't find this beer so bad.

A- It's an amber color with a 1f creamy linen-white head. Good retention, nice rings of lacing.

S- It smells ok. Mild hop aroma, some citrus and earthiness.

T- Densely concentrated hop flavors. Floral and citrus. Some caramel malts, too.

M- Medium feel and good carbonation. It lacks bitterness, too clean.

O- Not great, but not a brew that I'd turn down. The hops do get lost in the finish.

3.77/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-hazy gold white head with a good lace
S-a piney citrus hop smell with hints of malt
T-hop comes in at first then you get a citrus pine hop aftertaste, then the malt comes in to smooth it out in the finish
M-medium body and medium carbonation
O-good hop bitterness with a nice clean finish

2.06/5  rDev -37%

The scores I gave this beer are based on it being an IPA. There is nothing about this beer that represents an IPA. This beer tastes a lot like Labatt Blue to me(which I enjoy when I want a generic lager/ale.) It barely has any flavor, and the flavor it does have isn't hops. Overall, I am very disappointed with this beer. I wont be buying it again.

3.49/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Medium sized white to slight off white head slowly settles to a nice lacing above a clear rich copper golden colored beer.

Decent aroma coming off this beer off very light sweet malts and citrus to pine style aroma hops.

Citrus and pine style hops taste with just a bit of the caramel malts sneaking in.

Light dry aftertaste with a bit of the citrus hops sticking around with this medium bodied beer.

On sale this week at Albertson's, pretty good for the price.

3.79/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Here in England we don't get too many readily available IPAs so I was keen to try this when I saw it. I only really have SNTorpedo and some UK brewed American Style IPAs to compare this too.

The beer was quite pale and looked a bit like a pale lager. The head was decent and there was a good amount of lacing on the glass.

The smell was very nice with pronounced hop and tropical fruit aroma

The taste was crisp and refreshing with a very nice long bitter hop finish.

Longhammer is pretty carbonated - again more like a lager.

This American IPA was very tasty and seemed very well hopped and flavoursome without being extreme in any one department. As an introduction to a basic USA IPA I would say this was very appropriate with all the hoppiness and at least some of the bitterness one would hope for.

If many America craft beer drinkers s consider this sub par for the style then you are indeed blessed with some wonderful beers over there. I hope to try more of them soon!

My mark out of one hundred would be 81.

1.65/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

On tap at The Brickwood in Rochester, NY.

Just an offensive IPA. Pours a golden yellow, with no head or lacing.

Smells like basically nothing. Maybe some sweet grains, a little bit of grass?

The taste is, well, bad too. There are hop flavors present, but they are super muted, and slightly dirty. Grainy and metallic. Awful.

Light bodied, crisp mouthfeel, undrinkable.

This is an abomination.

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date September 17, 2013 printed on the label. It seems as though I've come full circle here, as I am re-reviewing this beer, my first ever written review on BeerAdvocate. Here we go again.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a murky light lemon-yellow colored body with some bubbles rushing topside, and about a finger of frothy doughy off-white head. Just a bit of spotty lacing. Looks pretty good to me.

S - Smell is simple, but nice. Some resinous pine hops, grapefruit, & some honeyed graham cracker malt to keep things in good harmony.

T - Taste follows the nose wonderfully. Bitter pine and grapefruit hops, and a lovingly nice balance of honey, graham cracker, and biscuit malt.

M - Aftertaste is of resinous pine and grapefruit bitterness. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Overall, not the most extraordinarily complex IPA out there, but hits it's mark on every level indefinitely. This is the ideal session IPA for me, a beer that I will always consider to be a classic go-to IPA, and one of the first beers that started me on my craft beer journey.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA ---4/5.

3.56/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance- Pours a clear golden amber color with a big billowy white head of two finger height. The head has a good level of retention, slowly fading over about a 4 min. time period to leave a lighter leave of streaky lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is dominated by a grapefruit hop smell but is mixed with other aromas of a tropical fruit smell of mango, papaya and tangerine. Along with these aromas are some light bready smells as well as a little bit of a pine smell. Overall the smell is nice and fruity.

Taste – The taste begins with a more bready taste mixed with a bit of a grapefruit hop flavor upfront. There are some sweeter flavors of orange and caramel right at the start as well. The sweeter flavors lose intensity as the flavor advances. While the sweetness fades the grapefruit hop grows more intense with it taking on a much more bitter flavor. Toward the middle to the end some cracker malt flavors come to the tongue as well a rather nice dose of resinous pine hop, in the end leaving a slightly bitter and drier malt flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was on the slightly thinner side with a carbonation level that was rather average. The average carbonation was very fitting and appropriate for the hop and malt flavors of the brew, but the thinner body did not really support the hop flavor profile well and could have been a bit thicker in nature.

Overall – A fairly decent IPA that is a bit on the drier side. A little more tropical fruit sweetness in flavor and a thicker body would have likely made this brew quite fantastic, but even without it, the beer is still enjoyable overall.

3.41/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tried this beer out of desperation for hop flavor at my small town liquor store. I was mildly surprised. Don't really know or care how it looks in a glass. It does smell excellent. The taste is fair and balanced. Not really over the top hops but you do taste it some. The aftertaste stays with you, which I love. A little bland for an IPA, has very little malt sweetness. In the mouth its very refreshing no burn or bite. Overall, I enjoyed this blind purchase. I would by it again but the price is a factor in that. I give major points to year long availability, which this is. There are better and there are worse. Give it a try, you will not be let down.

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This IPA has a classic appearance, somewhat cloudy and amber. You can definitely smell the hops from the dry hopping of the brew, however I was very disappointed with the mouth feel and the taste. There was very little carbonation it the beer I had and it felt flat. The taste was average and had a slightly strange bitterness to it. Overall, I was not very happy with it and I am stuck with 5 more bottles. Maybe I'll try another one for the heck of it...

3.51/5  rDev +7.3%

Bought this keg after finishing off a Bell's Two-Hearted keg and was looking for something with more "bite". After cleaning, tapping, and pouring my first I'm not too disappointed. It definitely has the extra bite I was looking for.

A - Nice head and beautiful color.

S - Not so good. Kind of musty, not fruity or woody.

T - Woody, bitter, definitely a bite, and strong alcohol taste seems like it's higher than 6.2% ABV.

M - Very nice, oily, solid.

O - Not my favorite but not as bad as I had thought from the initial look at the ratings. I'm surprised that people call it a weak IPA as it has a fairly strong bite. Easy to drink and will pair well with some strong foods. In this class of IPA I prefer the Loose Cannon from Heavy Seas, but this will get drunk in short order.

3.5/5  rDev +7%

I’m giving this beer a solid 3.5, mainly because it holds a special place in my home and heart. It’s nothing particularly noteworthy, with a so-so appearance, a decent piney-citrusy aroma, and a taste that lacks the depth and character of a higher-caliber IPA. However, since I can get it readily at my local Rite-Aid for about a buck a bottle, it’s usually in my fridge - and I’m a-ok with that.

2.93/5  rDev -10.4%

Drank directly from the can so no comment on appearance. Scent was pine resin and generic citrus. Standard IPA scent with nothing special, complex or stand out. Taste followed the nose, pine resin, citrus rind, grapefruit rind and a very slight grainy malt. Hop forward, but not in a complex way, it didn't seem to blend well. All the normal IPA flavors were there but in an almost abrasive way when combined with the malt. Mouthfeel was light bodied with moderate carbonation and an odd, almost creamy mouthfeel. A bit light for an IPA, on with the carbonation, but the creaminess was bizarre. It didn't make it difficult to drink or unpleasant in any way, but it was different. Overall this is a standard IPA, one that is maybe a bit too course and crude in it's flavor to really be considered a good IPA. All the right elements are present but they don't seem to mesh all that well. There are certainly better options in West Coast IPAs available.

3.52/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I like IPAs so I enjoyed this more than my circa 3.6 review would seem to suggest. It is, however, when compared to other IPAs, boring, routine, and dull. There was almost no head to speak of, but that could be just due to improper pouring by my waitress. Smell was grassy and hoppy. Taste was obviously hoppy but bland for an IPA. Worth having, but boring.

3.97/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Drinking in a Goodwill Basic Beer glass, poured foamy out of a 1 Pint 6 Fl. Oz bottle. Interesting feature about the beer bottle is contrary to the usual long and slick bottle design, the Long Hammer IPA has a short and stout neck with a long bottle shape. It looks like an adult baby bottle.

Color: The color reminds me of an autumn sunset mixed with spring break vomit. Hues of pale yellow brown ripple through the beer, and opaque foam cusps the crest of the glass.

Taste: Like a beer, being my first post the only difference I've noticed between Long Hammer IPA and PBR is that the Long Hammer is heavy regardless of a light color which startled me at the first sip. It tastes hoppy, but it could just be love. As the Long Hammer gets warm it begins to sit in your mouth longer and longer between sips. Rain trickles down the window, I take another sip and reflect over what type of malt that went into the barrel and settle on a mixture of orange and lemon. There's ash in my beer.

3.09/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bottle > Pint Glass
A - Pours a nice gold color, thin layer of fizzy head, minor lacing.
S - Weird crackery smell, pepper, some hidden pine, and just a really off skunky smell.
T - Taste follows the smell, there's a big time crackery flavor here, its like im eating saltine's people! You definitely get that odd skunk kinda flavor, dont know what thats about. This is a lame flavor for an IPA.
M - So little bitterness for an IPA, bad metallic aftertaste.
O - This is just flat out bad. Horrible example of an IPA, the smell is almost unbearable, and the taste doesnt save it at all.

3.72/5  rDev +13.8%

appearance - poured a good-sized head, and leaves lacing on the glass. I really like the color personally i think this nice golden color looks really nice.

smell - the smell is not very hoppy, more like a mix of citrus and bready.

taste - for an ipa this is pretty mild, not near as many hops as most ipa's. the first time i tried it i was really suprised cuz im a big fan of the normal ipa's. but, even tho its not as hoppy as i expected, i still think its pretty tasty. It has citrus, pine, and some hops, and some grainy flavor, just kindof mild for an ipa as far as the hops and pine go.

mouthfeel - has a nice comfortable mouthfeel, medium carbonation, crisp and nice, altho not as frothy as some better ipa's.

like others have said this would be good for someone whos not used to ipa's, and its definitely a sub-par ipa, but for what it is I still think its tasty and I enjoy it.

3.57/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass
Bottled on: May 31, 2013

A: Pours a clear, dark straw colored yellow with 1.5 fingers width of white head which dissipates down fairly quickly Leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: Sweet malts, pale malt, some sweeter citrus notes, and faint piney bitterness. Aroma is pleasant, but it is very mild.

T: Follows the nose, except flavors are more pronounced. Piney bitterness, sweet citrus, citrus rind, firm malt backbone. Simple and straightforward, highly drinkable yet still flavorful. Im enjoying the taste of this one.

M/D: On the lighter side of medium body, appropriate carbonation, very easy drinking. I could probably drink a whole 6 pack of this if I wanted.

O: Nothing to make it stand out, but I actually enjoyed this one. I often here it mentioned when people are discussing the worst IPAs, and I dont really understand that. Granted, with so many great IPAs readily available, theres probably not a reason to drink this more than once, but its certainly not something Id actively avoid.

2.54/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Very slight chill haze fades on a perfectly clear light gold. Head is straight white with a dense bubble structure. Drops to a tiny cap and collar. Some splotches of lacing. Pretty standard if a little unexciting.

Smell: More earthy than anything. Some small hints of grapefruit and pine on the back. A bit muddled. A touch of hay with grass. Lightly bready malt base. Very mild. Some slight herbal elements. Vague sweet malt as well.

Taste: Vague citrus. Some grapefruit rind and pith. Slight bitterness. A hint of pine needle with a bunch of earthy herbal notes. Malts are very lightly bready and a touch sweet. Some toasted elements as well. musty juicy fruit. Hops are a bit old and dirty on the finish. Oddly fruity.

Mouthfeel: Light pushing toward medium body. Mild carbonation with a slightly dry finish. Relatively smooth.

Overall: Life is like a velvet hammer knocking on my head.

I can see the appeal of this as an intro IPA. It's inoffensive with a very mild hop profile. No frills, but it feels a little off overall. It's never going to be a staple in my conversion sixer, I'll leave that to Harpoon or the like.

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Longhammer IPA is Red Hook's offering in the crowded IPA market, and a product they've been making for a few years now. Very pleasant and pedestrian in every way; nice copper color, faintly hoppy bouquet that underwhelmes, and a flavor that is sweet and malty with a light taste of citrus and pine hops without being too bitter or assertive. More of an APA than an IPA, in fact I would argue that this is easier to drink than the more assertive APA's like Deschutes Mirror Pond or Widmir Alchemy Pale Ale. The problem here is that people go to an IPA to be slapped upside the face with hop flavor, a trait that this brew does not do.

3.17/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz bottle served in a DFH IPA glass

A - Pours clear and brassy with 1.5 fingers of sticky white sea foam that slowly melts, clinging to the sides of the glass.

S - Clean bready malts, caramel sweetness, piney hops, orange cream

T - Bittering hops upfront mixed with soft bready malts, pine seems to be the dominate hop flavor with citrus and floral skirting the edges of the semi-sweet pale malts. The flavors are somewhat thin and the beer finishes with floral/pine bitterness.

M - Medium body with the carbonation giving it a bit of heft.

Well brewed beer but the flavors were thin for the ABV creating a typical and average IPA. I did like the piney hops which seems hard to find these days amongst all the citrus and floral varieties. Good price for a 12 pack.

3.56/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this as part of a mix-a-six, poured chilled from the 12 oz brown bottle into teku chilled.

The color is a ruddy amber with moderate haze with slightly off white head which has average sized bead. The lace sticks in a spotty pattern, the smell is fruity and citrus mostly with a moderately hoppy odor and slightly sweet fragrance. The mouthfeel is mostly sweet but has a moderate bitterness to balance with mostly dry finish and moderate carbonation.

The flavor is somewhat bitter citrus up front with slight tangy yeast and becomes sweeter toward the middle with some caramel malt backing and light hint of pine from the hops near the finish but balanced more than bitter with the impression of a dry hopped pale ale in general. The overall impression is not that this is that bad, however for the style it seems a little tame. I would drink it again but don't recommend this if you are looking for a true American IPA with more bitterness than your average pale ale.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery