Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,012 | Reviews: 1,180
3.77/5  rDev +15.3%

There are two Redhook IPA entries on BA-- one from each of their breweries. Since I had this on draft, I'm not quite sure which entry I should be reviewing. However, I'd guess that they're both made the same way.

This beer is pale, pale copper in color, crystal clear, with a low head. The nose shows bright, fresh, floral, and fruity PNW hops. I think "bouquet" is an appropriate word. That being said, it is a rather subdued bouquet. The aroma is fine-- I'd just like a little more of it. On the palate a sharp bitterness is followed up by sweet citrus hops and a nice, juicy (again, if kinda light) malt profile. The descent into the medium finish is smooth and easy, kinda like how this beer drinks. As others have pointed out, this is at the low end of what is to be considered an IPA, but I still found it to be perfectly drinkable.

3.62/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This must be what happened to Ballard Bitter. Did they change the name for marketing purposes?

A - perfectly clear orange/light amber. Sort of an orangey, glowing straw color. Head is thin but full, lots of tiny little bubbles. Little or no lacing.

S - smells pretty dang good, like an American IPA should. Lots of citrusy, grapefruity notes. Smells like an orange rind. Also some floral esters in there, as well as toasty malt, biscuits, yeast.

T - solid amount of bitterness in this one, but lacking balance. Tart, tangy, grapefruity hops hit you in the mouth and stay there. But little malt flavor, a little thin after the hops. Good strong bitterness, but no sweet compliment.

M - thin bodied, carbonation seems a bit high to me. A little fizzy.

D - a decent, tasty brew. Something to have at a bar when you don't find more adventerous micros. But this beer is missing something as far as malt body goes. Basically an 'above average' beer, which is why I gave it a lot of 3.5's.

1.8/5  rDev -45%

12oz bottle, this bottle of mine looks like a new much more fresh design.

Appearance: Slightly orange/golden clear. Decent size white head.

Smell: Slightly citrusy hop like aroma. Faint hint of malts.

Mouthfeel: Light body, fairly carbonated but not overly so.

Taste: Poor hop flavor and a slight malty sweetness on the finish. Looking back over my beer drinking days it is obvious to me now that way back when I first began drinking it was supposed IPA's like this that completely turned me off of liking the style. Today IPA is one of my favorite styles and this was a complete waste of cash.

Drinkability: This could be a session beer for anyone who can get past the taste.

Overall I couldn't have been dissappointed more. I typically drink a Stone IPA or a Victory HopDevil, as these two IPAs are IMO delicious and are available in my area regularly. The RedHook IPA was the only thing called an IPA in the store so I grabbed it hoping to get a hop fix and my lord it was everything but a fix, I needed a hop fix even more after drinking it, good thing I had a Hop Wallup in the fridge. Not recommended by me.

2.93/5  rDev -10.4%

This is what happens when you are in a beer bar and you let a"friend" order for you while you hit the head. The bartender was in on it with him and it was served in a pilsner glass. Odd I thought that looks way to dark to be a pilsner, they wouldn't tell me what it was. So I smelled and it was citrusy with a lot of biscuit maltyness, IPA thought I and they laugh at me. I had a few sips and found it not too bad but the flavor was what you would expect from a middle of the road IPA and when I said that it was ok but only so-so they told me what i was dirnking. I have had this many times before but it was not and has never been bad, just so-so. And so it remains easy to drink IPA with nothing remarkable about it.

2.73/5  rDev -16.5%

This beer poured very clear orange/tan body with a small white head that died rather quickly.

Nose was a bit dull. Hints of citrus hops with a sharp biscuit malt flavor.

Taste was of chewy biscuit and mild caramel malt. A really big citrus peel and pine resin hop taste with a surprisingly intense bitterness that lingers for some time. Actual body was light to medium.

A mediocre IPA, not as bad as some reviews make it out to be. It sort of tastes like an decently hopped piney IPA made with a slightly bigger BMC malt base. The bottle shows 6.5% ABV, so obviously it seems they've been working on this beer since the old version. It's drinkable, but again, pretty mediocre.

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Minimal head is formed and then quickly leaves the scene. Nice carbonation action in the beer. Golden in color.

Smell was a bit rancid. Didnt smell like the beer was old or bad, just not a pleasing aroma. Smelled a bit like brussel sprouts and even a little corn aroma as well. Smelled closer to a lager than an IPA. Didnt get that fruity hop smell. Nice malt aroma but too much malt for an IPA in my opinion.

Taste was just average. Nothing stood out. Minimal hop profile. Fairly light bodied. Nice carbonation in the mouthfeel. An average IPA. Have had worse but there are definitely better offerings out there.

Most redeeming quality of this beer is that it is quite enjoyable as I sit on my back deck on this 72 degree day here in NC.

2.78/5  rDev -15%

Nose is midly hoppy. Not nearly as strong as other IPAs. Taste is also quite mild for an IPA. Hops are present, but not very notable. A very mild IPA. This lends slightly to its drinkability since your mouth won't be overly hopped after a couple. Overall, not a good example of the style.

3.13/5  rDev -4.3%

appearance: Pours a .25" white head. The beer is orange-golden in color.

smell: The hop aroma is a mixture of green hops and boiled hop matter, kinda tealike. Some hints of citrus and floral tropical fruit. Not much malt character save for some caramel, the sweetness is moderate.

mouthfeel: Carbonation is medium, and the body on the light side of the medium range.

taste: A tealike, boiled hop character comprises the hop flavor. Some caramel malt gives a light sweetness. A moderate bitterness comes in for the finish.

drinkability: ok, but not a good beer

Bottled on 01/04/06

2.76/5  rDev -15.6%

I have fond memories of drinking this stuff at the Ballard brewery when visiting an old childhood friend. It is therefore disappointing to report that this beer is so undistinguished when poured out of the bottle in you own home. Not much head, and repeated attempts at discerning an aroma didn't get very far. It is certainly an easy-to-quaff IPA with a low alcohol content and minimal bitterness.

I guess I'd prefer to drink a good pale ale over this faint-hearted IPA.

2.28/5  rDev -30.3%

12 oz. bottle purchased for $5.99 per sixer at Supermarket

A: Probably the only good quality of this beer...filtered clarity. I think they took some flavor away with the filters. Head was thin and disappeared quickly.

S: Faint cirtus aroma...enough not to scare away the bud light drinkers.

T: Very little going on here. A hint of crystal malt flavor balanced with a sprinkle of cascade hops. More of a hop tea than a beer. 6.5% alcohol? Where? I don't get any alcohol warming.

M: Thin and watery...some IPA's should be if only base malt is used, but this beer obvioulsy has some dextrin malts added to the grist. Mouthfeel suffers from undercarbonation as well.

D: Well, if you like hoppy American Light Lagers, this beer is for you.

O: This is NOT an IPA. This is a poor interpretation of an American Pale Ale. Thanks BudHook for further confusing the beer drinking public. Now those beer neophytes will think this is what real beer tastes like.

3.32/5  rDev +1.5%

hazy golden with very little head but good lacing.

appetizing citrus/lemon zest aroma.

taste is refreshing and lighter than the more extreme side of the ipa scale. very balanced between hop bitterness and flavor. fairly long finish.

nothing too wild compared to the other ipas around.

3.72/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours clear and golden with a decent head and retention. Huge fresh hop essences in the nose - piney, resinous, and slightly grassy - nice. Hop flavor and prominent bitterness carry over to the palate. Balance definitely accented towards hops. Malt is somewhat low and the finish is dry. Overall not a bad IPA, very drinkable.

As an aside, I often buy Redhook products when I need bottles for my homebrew, as the simple single label on the unembossed bottles will virtually float off with immersion in warm water.

2.18/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

~Pours a clearish golden amber, agressive head shrunk pretty quick, but lacing is pretty decent.
~Aroma is hoppy and piney. More piney.
~WTF. IPA? More like an amber or something. Hops are piney, but not in that nice lovely way. More like in the Pine-sol cleaner type way. in fact, thats pretty much what it tastes like. Right away isn't so bad, but it makes me cringe as it develops. 'develops.' I don't waste beer, but this one might accidentally get poured down my drain.
~Mouthfeel isn't so bad, a little oily and pretty agressive carbonation.
~No. Do not drink this beer. I usually don't slam beers,but unless you mean to punish yourself....

Pours a bright golden hue topped by a wispy, creamy white head. Aroma is mainly that of lightly sweet malt, a touch of honey, and a very light hint of hops. Palate balances light sweet malt and mild fruity hops, with a vague sour character on the finish. Medium body is adequate and holds the flavor well. I'll just put it out there: there is nothing special about this beer.

3.39/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A very light,too light for my taste,gold color with a very,very,small head.The is very hoppy.The taste,like the smell,is very hoppy and ends with a bitter taste that's almost bitter.The m/f is light and a little watery.Not a bad brew,but there's room for improvement.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured a hazy gold with a small head. The head covered the top of the glass all the way down and left some nice lacing. Some hops smell, The taste was good, but not great. Some bitterness, but not the hop flavor I have come to expect with Harpoon or Hop Hog. The beer had a nice feel to it , not too watery and no unpleasant aftertaste. I guess you could call it balanced, but I was expecting more hops flavor. Drinkability was good, if this was the available beer, I would have no problem with having several more. Given the choice, there are a few APA's and IPA's I would choose over this one.

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

This is a golden colored IPA with a small white head that leaves a good amount of lace.
The aroma is a faint amount of pine.
The flavor is also mildly piney, with a slight grapefruit twinge. There is also a slight toasty malt presence near the finish, followed by the bitter hop aftertaste.
Mouth feel is light bodied and generously carbonated.
This is not a stand out IPA, but a good one that goes down way too easy.

2.65/5  rDev -19%

Purchased from Target in Jones Valley, Huntsville, AL.

I thought I already reviewed this, but it turns out I drank my entire six-pack before I got the chance. So I bought a single today especially to review.

For an IPA, a disappointing pour. The color is okay, very light and clear reddish-orange-yellow tinge, but with virtually no head, and what head is there goes away almost immediately. If I was reviewing this as a Pale Ale, I'd be rating it higher.

Smell is almost entirely of hops here. No real malt backbone, and very little fruit. Suppose that's as it should be for an IPA, but I'm a bit disappointed that the aroma is *all* hops.

Taste is a bit more balanced. Hop profile up front, with a bit of a grapefruit flavor following shortly therafter, and a bitter finish. I can handle hops just fine, but here they seem "flabby", almost as if they're tired and just plain old. Compared to the crisp hoppiness of a Sweetwater IPA or an Arrogant Bastard, this isn't anything to be impressed over. Still, it's decent enough.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, with quite a bit of carbonation.

There are *much* better IPAs out there. This is almost all hops, and they're not even good hops. As a standby when you need a dose of bitter, I suppose it's decent enough, but beer geeks can almost always do better.

3.62/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At first, a rich, frothy head with good retention, though it eventually reduces to a sticky, off-white lace. This amber brew pours with a slightly oily texture. Hops dominate the nose. Pine and citrus hop flavor comes through pretty strong with just a touch of malt grain and caramel too. And I think there is just a touch of roastiness as well. Hop bitternes in the finish (which is just a tad weak, even though it leaves decent bitterness behind). The somewhat oily mouthfeel is slightly thicker than medium-bodied with tangy, active carbonation.

Not bad: a brew with a nice hop bite that is quite drinakble. A rich mouthfeel and good aroma, though the finish could be a bit better. Recommended.

3.06/5  rDev -6.4%

According to the bottle: Bottled 20 Jun 05, 6.5%ABV. Pours a nice clear golden color, small head dissapates quickly, some carbonation, some light lacing afterwards. Scents of hops, citrusy. The taste is not bad, hoppy with a little bite at the end, not as good as others for sure, but not bad. Medium body. This is drinkable, but there are other IPAs way better, but maybe for an intro into the style it would be good.

2.21/5  rDev -32.4%

Got a six pack of this junk on the way home from work. It says IPA-I like IPAs-but this shit isn't IPA. It just isn't. Try it and you'll see.

Appearance-like I said...says IPA, but isn't. I suppose the color could be that of an IPA, the typical darkish red-golden-brown, but beyond the label and color there is not any IPA here.

Smell-not any strong hoppiness like there should be. This is not IPA.

Taste-I don't know what this shit tastes like. Not IPA. It says it's bitter and on the label and as least that is the truth. I don't know how to describe this except as sort of skunky. But it wasn't skunked.

M-Nothing special. Kind of metallic and bitter I guess. Pretty carbonated too...

Drinkability-Considering how bitter this crap is it went down suprisingly easy. However, at the time at had this, I had just gotten done with a nice long bike ride and was shooting the shit with my riding buddy, so anything would have tasted good if it was beer. So, not so bad, but this is not that good. Don't get it if you think it is IPA. Redhook is full of crap on this one.

3.19/5  rDev -2.4%

My friend gave this to me after thinking he ordered a Red Oak amber ale, so I already give it high marks for its value. This one was unfortunately the best choice on draft last night but after the second one, I was tired of it (hence the lower score for drinkability). Too light in color for the style, average and not overwhleming hoppiness, a bit on the heavy side. Only $2.75 a pint once I had to pay for one.

2.26/5  rDev -30.9%

Pale golden/amber witha good creamy two-finger head and lots of active rising bubbles, laces decent. This is the best part of the beer, it looks like a Two-Hearted! Just a small hop smell. Weak watery malt under a not so great hop profile. If this had a decent amount of malt, it wouldn't be hopppy enough for an IPA. The only reason it is is because of the hop/malt ratio. Light, lackluster body. Quaffable, but definitely sub-par.

3.51/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a pure golden hue, with excellent clarity. Foamy two finger head with good retention and plenty of sticky lacing. Herbal hop aroma is strong and hides a sweet adjunct malt scent. Massive hop leaf flavor that balances an estery sweet malt base and leaves a bitter and dry aftertaste. The even carbonation prevents the coarse alpha acid bite from becoming cloying, but the body is somewhat thin and the alcohol is percieved. A well presented IPA, just a little harsh towards the end.

3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

This is from a sampler case I bought at The Beer Mart in Reading, Pa. I drank it in a pilsner glass. Expiry date clearly marked on the case, and born on date clearly marked on the label. YAY!

Pours a clear gold with a two finger head of off-white foam. Head drops to a good coating and a ring, with very good lacing.

Aroma is strong grassy/piney hops, light toffee and bready pale malts, and clean fruitiness.

First flavor is a really nice grassy/piney hoppiness, followed by bready sweet malts, fruity, with a pretty strong hop bitterness. Aftertaste is semi-sweet and very hoppy. Delicious!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with soft to medium carbonation. Finish is lip-smacking sweet with a good grab at the back of the throat from bitterness.

I really like IPA's like this. Gold, grassy, bitter, nice head...It's an all day beer. Great burps!

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery