Join our email list →

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States | website

American IPA | 6.20% ABV

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,155 | Hads: 3,157
3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

this was decent. I don't know it seems like all IPAs start to taste the saem to me..
anyway.
this one was strange cuz it poured out a slightly hazy yellow with nice head. reminded me of bud based on the looks.
smell was nothign special, hoppy, slight citrus notes and a little bit of a malty background
taste was about the same but seemed to ba tad too bitter for my taste. mouthfeel was good but slightly watery and thin. its quite drinkable but in my opinion not worth the 7 bucks a 6 I paid for it.

3.37/5  rDev +4%

Pours out a very clear, thin yellowish-orange with a decent amount of head. Very fruity aroma. Lots of apples and citrus scents present. The taste is not exciting at all. A somewhat dry, chalky feeling on the inside of my mouth that is not reminiscent of the fruity aroma. A very mediocre IPA. Sort of dull and not exciting, but it is drinkable.

4.26/5  rDev +31.5%

This one reminded me more of a wheat beer when I poured it. It was a cloudy yellow color with particles, which I didn't think looked good in an IPA.

Oh, but the smell! Aromatic and bittering hops mingled and came through, promising a world of wonder awaiting those brave enough to step forth to the challenge...

It was quite bitter, but well balanced. The aftertaste was bitter and slightly nutty, which went together well.

The mouthfeel was a little thin... and it would be a more drinkable beer were it not for the appearance. That distracted somewhat from the taste experience.

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

My review of this beer might suffer due to proximity to red seal ale, which I was drinking at the same time. I found that this IPA had less of a hop character than I had hoped for. The hops didn't fit very well with the rest of the beer. The brew was nice and bitter, which was a plus, but in terms of reviewing based on style, this IPA could have been done better. I have not been impressed with redhook offerings so far.

1.58/5  rDev -51.2%

Beer pour a typical IPA amber with a medium white head that left no traces on the way down.

Smell was uncharacteristically unhoppy for an IPA. Slight arorma of malts with a heavy over-riding sweetness.

Taste was absolutely ghastly. Started with a mild hops with heavy citrus that quickly faded to a horrid metallic tang (aluminum? steel?).

I finished the bottle but gave the rest of the twelve pack away.

2.56/5  rDev -21%

Just found this in my girlfriends parents fridge with a date of 5/15/04, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It pours the standard deep orange golden color of most IPAs with a slight head that left the scene quickly. The smell was not what I would have expected detecting just about no hops only a slight sweetness. This tastes slightly bitter with a mild citruses taste from the few hops that are present. Not bad tasting overall but not great. Mouthfeel was average and it had average drinkability. Not the best but definatly not the worst, it will work in a pinch.

3.01/5  rDev -7.1%

Enjoyed on 5/8/2004. 16 oz. pour in a questionably clean shaker glass at the Coolidge Corner Clubhouse, Brookline MA. Crystal clear amber hue, on the lighter side of the spectrum. Poured a frothy, cloud-white one inch initial head. Gentle hop bouquet, with slight pine hints. Clean hop presence to taste, with just a small amount of bite. Alcohol is subdued and refreshing. Great ale for sessioning.

Formerly known as the Ballard Bitter, and was no doubt once enjoyed in great abundance in Seattle’s Ballard District.

2.83/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thought I would give this IPA a try as I saw it Oliver’s and you would get a free pint glass. Well I think I got bamboozled! This brew pours to a golden yellow with a nice fluffy white head that sticks around for the majority of the experience leaving nice lacing through the brew. The scent is ok, nothing spectacular sweet floral with an alcohol aroma that seems strong. The taste is a little bitter with some weird things going on but would expect a more hoppy bite! I don’t really think that this should be classified as a IPA. It is an ok brew, but next time that I see a free glass I will remember this one and will not get bamboozled again!

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

This poured to an orange and gold color. The small head vanished quickly, and the lacing was minimal and unremarkable.

Cheap grains were detected in both the smell and taste. The hop content is relatively well balanced, but the overall taste leaves a lot to be desired.

The fairly off taste makes it harder to drink than it should be.

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

I settled on this IPA (my first IPA btw) when there were no others in stock. I am a fan of Redhook's Amber ESB so that also aided in my decision. I enjoyed the taste of this brew, but I can't say it made me really want another. I think SNPA is hoppier so the reviews for this one that say you can only taste the hops make me scratch my head a little. It went well with Indian food, but was just decent on its own. Also as it warmed the taste did not stand up as well as the ESB. We also bought a sixer of Paulaner last night which helped please everyone.

--Joey

2.9/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle. Light pale yellow color, nearly fizzy, but not really. Some golden undertones to it. Clumpy white head, faded quickly. Hop bubbles not present. Crispy bitter smell, but seem contrived not hop filled and fresh. Taste was super bitter, biting and harsh. Overly bitter, and nearly metallic. Not hop bitterness though, more like a big contrived bitter flavor. No malty balance underneath. Flavors get watery and muddled. Thin watery finish. Wierd version of an IPA. Drinkable, but not puckering and bitter, doesn't tease you taste buds into another drink, but feels like something you have to do, to finish it. I haven't read Venom's review, but I would guess he would call it "insipid".

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

A little backstory, before beginning: back in the early-early '90's, I was just getting my feet wet in the wide, wonderful world of beer, and cartoonist Peter Bagge was inaugurating his newest comic book series, "Hate." In the first issue, protagonist Buddy Bradley admits that he has become something of a "beer snob", being among all of the "mini-breweries" of the Pacific Northwest and displays a bottle of Redhook Ballard Bitter. Next time I shopped for beer, I grabbed a 6'er, curious to try Buddy's beer, and what do you know, I liked it, and for some years the BB had a regular run in my refridgerator's rotation.
But times change...I taste it now anew, for the first time in years...
clear, pale amber hue, 1/2" silky white head, with copious bubbles.
Aroma: soapy, and slightly sweet, minor fruit, muted peach, muffled apricot, nothing to speak of, really...
Taste: more soap! a bit floral, herbal, I can taste the hops on the tongue, (Centennial?), but they are so small, and disappear so quickly, that it barely counts! There's a cameo of spiciness,(a hint of ginger, even cinnamon) and a fairly decent initial texture,but the body is too, too thin for my taste, and this brew's miniature charms drift away like a leaf in an autumn gust. It's not terrible at all, but I can't really see that "IPA" belongs on the label, not anymore. I remember it being bigger and bolder than this!
Yes, times change. Buddy Bradley, the former slacker spokesmodel, is now married with a daughter, and the Redhook Ale Brewery has been practically bought out and wussified by Anheuser-Busch, and that cool, stubby brown bottle is now a tall, green-labeled longneck.
Cheers to what once was, and to my next, better beer. (hmm, there's a growler of Masala Mama in the fridge, calling my name...)

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

I picked up a six-pack of this at my local Bi-Lo. I’ve had this one before but never really scrutinized it or gave it too much of a chance so I figured “why not?”.

Pours out a deep golden-amber. An almost fizzy head bubbles up meagerly not quite reaching a fingers breadth. The head quickly subsides leaving a thin, filmy layer on top. Carbonation is peppy and rises quickly to the top. I think it’s rather pretty. Lacing is rather sparse and only hangs on in small islands.

The smell is a little flat and malty but as I hover my nose above it the floral and citrusy hop notes make their presence known. For an IPA the smell is a bit disappointing, the beers that I usually love of this style are bursting with these delicious aromas.

Taste leads off flatly bitter, doesn’t change much until the back of my tongue finally registers faint remnants of that floral/piney hop flavor that I love so much. Citrusy flavors are slightly hinted at in the after-taste. This beer is bitter enough I guess, but the bitterness just seems to lack any character. Needless to say the malts don’t add much complexity here either. Mouthfeel is great, quenching and downable with a nice dryness to it. Carbonation gives it a peppy little feel. I was surprised to find out this brought an ABV of 6% with it.

Not a bad beer by comparison to others, although this is a let-down when categorized as an IPA. This beer reminds me more of an ESB or something. A passable beer, but probably the least favorite IPA I’ve tried to far.

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Light golden color with a white head that doesn't stay long, but leaves a sticky film around the inside of the glass. Aroma of sweet honey and orange peel. Hop flavor is bright and citrusy, with some pine notes as well. Not an overly complex flavor, but very refreshing and enjoyable.

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Cloudy gold pour with an orangish tint, distinct but not very stong hop aroma, nice light hop taste, with a sweetness making its presence known in the aftertaste. This might be a nice IPA to introduce someone to the style, also an IPA you could drink all night.

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a darker orange with a white head that leaves great lacing on the glass. Smell is very citrusy with a kick of hops. The taste is very light and grainy, citrus tone brings up the rear. Feels light but crisp in the mouth, drinkable in the summer or on a hot day, more pale ale than IPA. Average at best.

Bottle review 8-12-04

Suprisingly slightly better out of the bottle. Tastes more like pale still, reminds me alot of a bass. Since this is supposed to be IPA scores suffer.

2.81/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a golden liquid that is almost crystal clear. The head is white and foamy. The head stayed around for quite some time, which is impressive. There was a fair to good amount of lacing on the glass. The smell was a little bit of cirtus, combined with what was almost spicy. The taste was rather sweet, with a hint of citrus and again the spice. Are we sure this is an IPA? I can taste the hops, but only slightly. Seems like it is rather balanced. The hops are not winning. Not an IPA, not even an APA. Not sure what this is, but rather disappointing. Mouthfeel was ok, and it was pretty drinkable, but I am not sure why you would want to drink much of this. Seems as though this beer has been labeled incorrectly.

2.66/5  rDev -17.9%

Bottle dated 122203 poured clear orange yellow color and left a small white head that left a little lace in its wake but didnt stick around for long. For an IPA I was disappointed in the low hop aroma. Some bitterness with a little malt backbone but not all that much. Mild carbination helped the hops out a bit too. The mouthfeel was on the lean side while the drinkability was better than average.

3.63/5  rDev +12%

Pours a cloudy orange-amber with a small stark white head, lacing was very nice, sheets striated by thick rings.
Citrus hop aroma, tops a toasted malt base.
The citrus hops are strong in the taste (lemon and grapefruit), along with the toasted malt.
Not the most complex IPA out there, and truth be told more of a pale ale (not even really an English IPA). Nicely bitter, smooth, medium bodied, good drinking beer. Twice the beer on cask as it is from the bottle or tap.

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%

This poured out a slightly hazed pale golden color. Topped with a perfectly normal head of white foam. The aroma tends to be floral and sweet with lemony grains and even a hint of a musty sourness. The taste is estery, bittersweet and creamy. There’s an evident bitter alcohol tang in the aftertaste. Not harsh, but a tad astringent. Overall a pretty smooth and flavorful beer with a decent malt body and a nice underlying sweetness. Finely balanced, very drinkable.

3.51/5  rDev +8.3%

Copper red crystal clear appearance with a two finger sized head and lively carbonation. Good head retention and decent lacing. The smell is grassy, musty, and indistinct with a hint of roasted malt, and is is way too faint for an IPA. Taste is also leaning a bit too heavily towards malt. It is nutty, biscuit like, mildly sour with only a medium helping of hops. The hops that are there are also aromatic, citric types, with not much bitterness. Not too shabby for a pale ale or a bitter, but not really in on par with most beers in the American IPA style. Mouthfeel is medium thick with a decent strength. This is a balanced English style pale ale, that makes a good session beer, but lacks that certain oomph to push it over the edge of mediocrity.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a beautiful medium gold with a small, bone white head.

Good hop profile. Not as hoppy as most IPAs I have tried. Malt adds some backbone.

Nice hoppy bitterness, but not too aggressive. Unpleasant metallic mid-palate with a short finish.

Prett bland and light. Dry, short finish. Not much body.

A boring, iffy IPA. More hops would be nice. Get this only if it is the only IPA available.

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

If Wendy’s “Where’s the beef” ad blitzkrieg celeb Clara Pellar wrote this review, she'd bemoan, "Where's the hops?" This is the first beer I've ever had that made me think of those caramel-corn candies you'd get at Halloween. I hate those things. Hazy, orange, lightly carbonated pour. Hardly a head. ¼ inch that thins away to nothing after first sips.

Smells of caramel, but sweet dull aroma.

Not IPA at all. Questioning if it’s a pleasant taste? Hard to describe. Not my cup o’ tea. Bready. Taste doesn’t last. Watered down. Almost a Wurther’s Original candy, but not a creamy sweet, almost like humdrum caramel-corn beer. Somebody throw an alarm clock into the kettle to wake this one up! Slides to the back edges of the tongue, then sour notes of plain cooked rice escape. Sorry, and I like other Redhook brews. Plus they give away a lot of swag and T-shirts locally.

Slightly fizzy on the ole palate. Doesn’t declare what it is, which is not always bad, but this needs to make a decision if it's pleading a case in my tongue's courtroom, jury members.

Can’t think of similar brews. Needs a hoppy fruity sensation. Bring Fruit Loops Cereal's Toucan Sam out of retirement for this one. Maybe a lemon wedge will be slam-dunked into this belly flopper next time.

The set-back? $24 clams a case. I’d rather buy Lionshead for $12 and pick up a pizza, with extra cheese of course.

Parting thought: For the curiosity seeker, only. All others may seek greener pastures. Sad, tho’ Red Hook is a solid stand-by. Website states Hops are: Northern Brewer, Willamette, Cascades. Really? Will not dissuade me from future Redhook entrants, tho'.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

The beer pours a rich looking golden color. The head was there but quickly went away. The smell was very floral but the taste was lacking compared to the aroma. It wasnt as bitter as I thought it would be. A bit of a dissapointment. The taste was good but not as asserative as I would expect from an IPA. Mouthfeel was very heavy and full bodied. Doesnt stack up to other IPAs.

4.4/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served from the bottle, at an Old Chicaogo. I like inclusion of the phrase "Ya Sure, You Betcha" on the label, being from Minnesota. The beer was a very solid IPA, good hops bitterness, even though I could've used more. I know, I'm a confessed Hophead. This is a good beer that I'd galdly get again.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery