Join our email list →

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States | website

American IPA | 6.20% ABV

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,155 | Hads: 3,159
1.39/5  rDev -57.1%

This is a disgusting beer. Maybe I had a bad 6-pack, but I won't be buying another to find out.

This beer has a nice golden colour to it, and leaves a loose bubbly head. Reminds me of Michelob from appearance. The smell is flat, and smells strongly of chemicals. The taste was even worse, the flavour resemebling a fake hop taste with a disgusting aftertaste that made me think of a local chemical company. After a while this cleared and left a decent taste in the mouth.

The beer feels good in the mouth, but the flavour and smell are bad. This beer does not rate for me in the IPA style and makes me feel that the brewer simple took a cheap beer and added some more hops.

4.02/5  rDev +24.1%

The beer pours a light gold color with thin white lace head. The aroma is good. It has a sweet malt scent with floral hop notes. The taste is fine. It is dry and hoppy. There is a good balance of malts and hops here; a pleasant tasting ale. The mouthfeel is outstanding. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good IPA. I would buy this one again.

3.62/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear golden with a brown hue. Off-white head.
Nice floral, citrusy hop aroma. Toasty malt buried underneath the hops.

Taste shows a good dose of floral, citrusy hops. Toasty pale malts. Hop bitterness lingers a bit at the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin.

Not an IPA I look for, but still a solid offering.

2.98/5  rDev -8%

Clear golden hue, thin off-white soapy head. An estery and tinge of hops on the nose. Buttery and slick up front, borderline medium bodied. Underlying fruit flavors in the way of orange and lemon peel. Subdued flavoring, I'm begging for hops. A malty backbone combined with some citric hops (barely). Finishes dry, a bit watery and weak. If it weren't labelled as an IPA, I'd consider it a decent APA.

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

The color is a pale tan and the head is not substantive but basically average, certainly acceptable. Too much carbonation that dissipates too quickly! The malt flavor is also perhaps too light to really taste satisfying. The alcohol is right for an IPA, but the hopping is weak, in terms of bitterness and aroma. I hear that this is much improved on draft and even better if you can find it served real-ale style, cask conditioned. Not as good as their ESB!

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

Golden body with moderate carbonation, white head and fair lacing.
smells pretty hoppy but something seems to be 'off'... Taste ok though the aftertaste is also somewhat 'off', I dont know what it is but somethings wrong here.
Has a very buttery mouthfeel which I did not expect in an IPA and seems out of place.

It has most of the smell and taste of an IPA cept it seems to be lacking something.

-Oelergud

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Aroma: Potent cascade hop
Appearance: Clear pale yellow with some minor lacing
Flavor: Hops are there, but a bit weak for style. Also had a slight metallic twang that faded quickly
Mouthfeel: thin, light body no real hop bitter bite
Overall Impression: drinkability isn’t bad, but it lacks some character and depth. One dimensional, more like a pale ale than an IPA.

3.34/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: This beer was an amber-gold color that was lighter than what I was expecting. An almost white head rose up to a finger and became somewhat fuffy as it settled down. It dwindled into just a ring of foam around the edge of the glass by the end of the drink and left practically no lace behind.

Smell: The aroma was fairly light, but pleasant. It was comprised of sweet malt, cracker, a hint of toffee, and a very light hops presence. The hops wasn't as pronounced as what I expect from an IPA. It was more in the background than any of the other components of the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied and smooth upfront. It picked up some roughness as it moved to the back of the mouth. It also had a slightly coating, buttery feel to it on the tip of th tongue.

Taste: Upfront was a buttery diacetyl flavor that quickly gave over to a sharp hops bitterness. I had trouble putting my finger on the characteristic of the hops flavors. It might have been a little spicy or there could have been a slightly herbal quality to it, but mainly it was just bitter. There was a hint of roasted malt mixed in with the hops, but it was faint. Late in the aftertaste, a toffee sweetness emerged to linger in the mouth.

It has been years since I had this beer. I really can't remember if I liked it back in the day, but I do know I had a Ballard Bitter T-shirt. Therefore, I must have at least thought that it didn't suck. That is my assessment now as well: This beer is not great, but it definitely doesn't suck. A good session beer, in my opinion.

2.83/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Head quickly fell after pouring. I really could not detect much of anything in the aroma, perhaps a smidge of malt and hops in the background, but not what I expect in an IPA. Flavor is not very hoppy and very evenly balanced between malt and hops. The bitterness is low, but present. The mouthfeel is good and the drinkability due to the low hopping is good as well.

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

When poured, the head was small sized, ivory with small sized bubbles that mostly diminished. The body was clear with carbonation observed and the hue was orange. The nose was malty, hoppy and sweet with a hoppy and bitter flavor to it. The mouthfeel was very tingly and medium bodied. This beer left a good lacing on the sides of my glass.

2.23/5  rDev -31.2%

Appearance – The body is a very thin and clear orange, but the head is terrific. It foamed up nice and easy, lingered, and left a cool spider-web lacing.

Smell – Why is cheap grain and sucrose leading the nose on this IPA? Where are the hops?

Taste – Foul! How do we classify Ju-Ju Bees and Budweiser as an IPA? This is a light pale ale, and a poor one at that.

Mouthfeel – Light and watery but somewhat refreshing.

Sinkability – I’m using this to wash down the Liquid Plummer.

Comments – I had this on tap at the brewery (I didn’t take notes so I didn’t post a review). I swear it wasn’t nearly as bad as this.

Update – I first reviewed this in ’03 so thought I’d revisit this fella in 2005.

It smells a little better than I noted in my review but otherwise this basically sucks. It’s grainy, clumsily hopped, and has some really cheap carbonation. With the recent move of Bear Creek Brewing, Redhook is actually the closest brewery to my house. How sad. I’m raising the Smell by 0.5 and promising myself never to drink this again.

4.33/5  rDev +33.6%

For those of you who haven't seen or tried an IPA, they are a sort of ale that's neither from India nor pale. Like most pale ales, Red Hook is only "pale" in comparison to porter and stout. In fact, that's where the catagory Pale Ale got its name in the first place. The word India comes in because this particular sort of pale ale was originally designed to withstand the trip to the Indian colony from Britain with no loss of quality. In the case of Red Hook, the result is a very enjoyable if somewhat unique beer. The simplest way i can put it is, 'The taste of Guinness Draught without the weight.' Red Hook's head boils to a thick, white mass that remains over the beer throughout the whole pint. It does become noticably thinner in the center over time, but it never really fades away. Red Hook's start, body, and finish are very close to those of Guinness Draught. It is full-bodied with a rich hoppy flavor. It sits heavy on the tongue and has a consistent if somewhat thin palatte. Red Hook finished smooth with a clear and pleasant aftertaste. It differentiates from Guinness b/c of its color and feeling in your stomach. Red Hook is a deep amber color and when it hits your gut, you feel no weight or fullness (what some people call "drinking a loaf of bread" when talking about Guinness). The overall experience is a highly enjoyable beer with a rich flavor and a resulting feeling that you can down twice as many Red Hooks as stouts.

- Backdated tasting: I first reviewed this beer on 13SEP03, this post is based on notes from that review. -

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

10-03: Had a nice treat. They had a cask version at the brewery. They even served it at the proper temperature. Dark golden with little carbonation. A little clear for a cask beer. Fairly decent hop (grapefruity) signature in the nose and taste. Good malty backbone. Not the most kick I've had in an IPA, but not bad nevertheless.

2.78/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer poured a light gold color with a thin head. Very weakly carbonated. The aroma was average, as I noticed a slight bit of malt and a minimal floral nose. The IPA tasted weak, and was unbalanced with more maltiness than hops. The malt dominated the initial taste, but was quickly subdued by a slight bitterness which lingered on the tongue. This seemed way too sweet for this style, and clearly the expected IPA bitterness was not strong enough.

2.43/5  rDev -25%

12oz. bottle.

I found this to be a strange and bland IPA.

The appearance is transparent boring gold. An okay white head with minor lacing. The scent is weak musty moss and straw. Some hop smells linger but do not stand out at all.

The flavors are dry fruit hops. I cannot place the fruit flavor. It is sort of a citrus and berry combination. There is a grain flavor that I do not think belongs here. Not much hop bite and the malts are weak and bland. This IPA does not have any direction.

A watery quality to the mouthfeel at first. Then if felt as if my mouth was about to dry up. I am not impressed. A clean crispness adds to drinkability but I can think of many other IPA's I would rather drink than this one. I am glad I only bought a single bottle.

2.38/5  rDev -26.5%

Really thin and grainy malts, with some citric hop bitterness at the end, didn't really see too much standing out, very boring watery mouthfeel, and for a cask ale this was extremely below average, this beer is making it really hard for me to meet the minimum character limit for my rating (Cask- GBBF 03')

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

It has been a while since I have visited the brews of Redhook. I figured it was about time to dive back in to a college staple. Pours a hazy straw color with a heavy foam head. THe aroma is lightly of citrus with a toffee malt sweetness. A huge sharp bitterness is teh first impression on the palate with undertones of sweet, sharp cotton candy-like malt character. A moderate citrusy spiceflows through a lingering bitter finish.

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

Stunningly clear light amber body that has a small off-white head. Very little lacing noted. The aroma on this brew is primarily of a caramel malt base with nominal hop notes. The flavor is below even my normal desire for a more lightly hopped IPA. This is quite average and not impressive. Certainly not of the quality of Redhook ESB. The feel is medium and lacks crispness in the finish. Oddly flat tasting.

3.26/5  rDev +0.6%

Medium gold color, slightly cloudy, medium head. Medium malts and hops. A medium hopped IPA, somewhat bitter with some malt sweetness, Smooth mouthfeel, with full flavor. Hoppy without being too bitter, nice balance. Finish is smooth and clean. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

2.04/5  rDev -37%

Pours out as a dark golden chill haze yellow with a very thin head of off-white bubbles that disappear as fast as they arrive leaving a thin ring and minimal lace. Smell is more like a Bavarian lager then an IPA, I get mostly toasted grains and malts, smallish sweet citrus with a touch of grassy/floral hops, not to mention that its faintly represented and kinda flat. This doesn't come across as an IPA or any other pale for that matter. Taste is quickly over and raw, seems to have an undercooked grainy malts that lend some toasty factions but mostly reminds more of grilled corn husks then anything. Hops are inadequate and hardly approachable in abundance, whats there seems earthy light and herbal and lingering late in the finish is some vitamin-like coating and flavor. Very dull, very drab, and almost undrinkable, had to brace myself towards every sip. No sir I didn't like it and didn't finish it either.
I have one word for this, "Why"

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

I was fairly disappointed with this beer--I hadn't read the other reviews and was expecting to find an above average beer. Pours a light golden with a very persistent foamy white head. The aroma and taste are both fairly mild and only slightly hoppy (not at all what I was expecting). Fairly smooth and drinkable but nothing to get very excited about. This was not too bad as a beer (very average as my scores reflect), but was definitely bad for an IPA. I'm fairly confident I won't bother having this again.

3.71/5  rDev +14.5%

Had this on tap at Forecaster's pub in Woodinville, WA. Aroma of hops was quite strong especially for such a mass produced beer. Slight sweetness came through the pine and citrus hops quite nicely. Flavor was dominated by hops with enough sweet malt character to keep everything in check. This one really surprised me at the brewery as I am so used to mediocre ESB.

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

I originally sampled this on 29 April 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
With so many Outstanding IPA's out there, why do breweries continue to turn out mediocre ones? The folks at Redhook need to take a look at what Stone, Bell's, Victory, DFH and even Diamond Knot (in their own backyard) do with their IPA's and re-think Redhook's version.

Too funny...well, its been 5 years since I first reviewed this beer. I've become a lot more knowledgeable about what makes an IPA great and what makes on run-of-the-mill and this is just that.

Reviewed on 08-28-03-

Redhook makes a great IPA. Had it on tap when I visited the brewery up in Portsmouth, NH, also have had from the bottle many times. It has a clear light amber appearance with a clean look. The aroma of hops is very apparant and it provides that necessary crispness and all around hoppy mouth feel. Its a very refreshing beer and will leave you asking for another before you reach the last sip.

3.66/5  rDev +13%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle with a "bottled on" notice -- in this case 05/19/03 -- printed dot-matrix style on the bottom of its rear label; purchased as part of a ten beer sampler pack from the West LA Whole Foods on National and Barrington ($12.99); profile of some 19th century dandy being goosed on the front label.

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper; dramatically undersized head; poor lacing.

Aroma: Fairly sweet notes of caramel and grapefruit.

Taste: Moderately sweet malts upfront; slightly weak hop bitterness -- for the style, that is -- in the finish; floral, citrusy, piney hop flavors; faints notes of vanilla and yeast; a tad watery.

Comments: A poor example of an IPA, but by no means a bad beer. To be sure, a rather respectable APA. I wouldn't go out of my way for this, but would happily drink it again.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery