Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev -8.9%

The aroma was not very strong - some hops with barely any citrus.

This really did not taste like an IPA - an average pale ale at best. I was like a lager mixed with IPA flavoring. It tasted a bit generic. There was some undefined citrus mixed with a very weak pine, but it was pretty mild mannered for an IPA. There was nothing very lively about this beer.

The 6.5%ABV was not very apparent in the flavor. Its drinkability was decent enough.

Overall, I thought it was forgettable. I didn't think it was a good example of an IPA - too weak in flavor and aroma. This might be good for someone who wants to get introduced to IPA's. It was worth a try but there was nothing in this beer that made me want to reach for another. You could live your whole life and not feel jipped if you did not have this one.

LacquerHead, Aug 04, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Had this on tap at Mulligan's in my hometown a 22oz. for seven bucks. Got pretty ripped.

A - Pours a mild amber in color with an inch of fluffy head. Looks good.

S - Mostly citrus and slight pine. Doesn't smell too bad,

T - Not really all that great. Got way more pine than I wanted out of this IPA and the malt was not balancing the pine to produce any sweetness so all I got was a drinkable pine. Was OK.

M - Pretty good. Not bitter very bitter yet medium bodied.

D - Well no I don't want to have it again and really am tired of average IPA's. They are just not good and this beer seemed to sneak up on me with high hopes of tasting good but leaving me slightly disappointed.

DrDemento456, Aug 03, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -14.4%

This is a beer that missed the mark. Where are the lemony spicy hops. Where is the lingering aftertaste? What happened? The smell was not like and IPA. It did not have a crisp citrus smell with a caremel malt. It was kinda sweet and tinny. The taste was too malty and not bitter. No I will pass on having another.

bigrzman, Jul 31, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

A- Pours a fairly light golden color with a white head that has pretty much no retention. Leaves some lacing down the glass.

S- Smells of a bit of citrus. Pretty standard smell for an American IPA but leaves some to be desired from the hops and kind of boring.

T- Tastes is some pine, citrus, and earthy undertones. Same as the smell, pretty average for an am. IPA.

M- Lighter side of medium in body and carbonation was on.

D- Nothing really special here and just plain average. Easy to drink and I think I'd consider this one a beginner IPA.

nrbw23, Jul 30, 2010

A- I liked this aroma alot. Nice IPA citrus/grapefruit

T- After the aroma I expected more from this beer. It had a farty budlite taste under the bitterness. I'd call it a citrusy bitter bud lite.

I wouldnt really recommend this to any of my friends. BUT if I were in NH and this was on tap I could think of quite a few beers I would have Long hammer over.

Zoxygen, Jul 28, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

This one appears with just over a finger of head above more golden-than-red body. It has a "typical IPA" smell but weaker and is about just as lacking in the taste department. It's light-bodied and prickly, by the end I just don't like the taste. Should be labeled "Light IPA."

wcintula, Jul 28, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -1.2%

I had this a few years ago during my introduction to West Coast IPAs - methinks I've learned a lot since...

This beer pours a clear pale golden colour, with lots and lots of thin, rocky, foamy white head, which leaves a pretty decent wall of drooping lace around the glass as it slowly melts away. It smells of mild, soft grapefruit hops, and caramel nougat. The taste is weedy, citrusy hops, a bit of mild sweet lemon, and some bready malt. The carbonation is on the low side, the body medium weight, a bit slick, and it finishes on the sweet side, the bready/caramel malt standing out over the still noticeable muddled hops.

A very restrained, but still acceptable version of the style, most likely best served as an introduction to those unfamiliar with it. Easy to drink, and unassuming.

biboergosum, Jul 28, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +8%

Had on tap at Donahue's Bar and Grille. Served in a pint glass.

Pours the typical IPA. This one is a bit on the golden side, rather than copper. Lots of carbonation feed a covering of bubbles. Leaves lots of lacing, though.

Smells mostly of citrus hops. Typical ipa aroma.

Not half bad. Nice hop flavor, bitter and citrus. Maltiness is a bit subdued for my taste, yet I'm not much of an IPA fan.

Mouthfeel is a little wet, a bit of sting from the carb.

If I was an IPA drinker, I'd probably have another. It's not all that bad and worth a try for someone new to the style.

BranfordBound, Jul 26, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +11%

Pours a nice golden color from the bottle but doesn't leave much head or any lacing down the glass at all. Only a light lemon scent to speak of as far as smells go. I was more expecting a huge hop aroma on this one. While I like the initial bite of this beer the aftertaste dies away quickly and is a bit of a disappointment. Not one of my favorite IPA's but a decent brew to at least give a shot.

Rhynes2, Jul 20, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into "coke" glass because it was clean.

Very nice golden amber color with good two finger white head, two minute retention, and surprisingly substantial lacing.

Beer snobs will balk, but this is a fantastic beer for the price, despite it's diversion from the defacto IPA "standards" The fact is, it's closer to an IPA than any other type of beer. It's really very enjoyable. Drinkabilty is high and even higher considering it ABV of 6.5.

Tastes of sweet malt, good carbonation, and commercial hops. Nothing glamorous but still very pleasant for a commonly available grocerystore beer. Very drinkable and refreshing. Very drinkable to a typical macro-light-domestic-corn-rice-no-flavor beer drinker. I would consider it a viable gateway beer for the yet to be enlightened. Solid for a frugal session beer.

The only real negative is an apparent inconsistency in the quality. Never swillish, but some times far better than others.

streetcommander, Jul 20, 2010
2.03/5  rDev -37.9%

Appearance:
Pale golden color, clear. No carbonation. Small foamy head, leaves a little lacing on the glass. Looks pretty dull.

Smell: A little lemon and malts. Otherwise there's not much aroma.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Flavor is very light for an IPA. I get some lemony hops and bready malts. Finish off pretty rough with dry metallic aftertaste that lingers. Body is medium, very flat.

Drinkability:
Nope! I couldn't drink the rest of the beer. Aftertaste is just nasty as hell. Gives me a headache everytime I take a sip.

mjurney, Jul 19, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a slightly hazy, pale yellow with a tall, fluffy, white head that had OK retention and lacing. The aroma was fairly typical, although a bit on the subdued side for the style. Mostly floral hop notes, with some citrus in the background.

On the tongue, the citrus notes were bolder and the floral tones moved to the back. Despite not having much of a malt presence, the beer had a mildly sweet finish. The body was just on the thin side of average for the style. Drinkability was OK, but not great.

Overall, a good beer to use as an introduction to the style. It would give someone an idea of what to expect and provide a good baseline for judging other IPA's. In other words, a training wheel IPA.

beertunes, Jul 16, 2010
3.28/5  rDev +0.3%

A distinctly citrus nose carries directly into the moderately hoppy, grapefruit, slight floral, slight pine taste that if it's the wrong time of day can be overly cloying.

I've had Longhammer many times and if it's hot outside and the sun is still in the sky it can be very enjoyable and actually quite refreshing. At times though, the palate, it just doesn't work for me.

JackieTH, Jul 14, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -19%

A-looks like an IPA, nice golen color.

S-smells like an IPA for a second, but then has malty sweet smell reminiscent of an American Amber ale, def. not appropriate to style

T-Hops aren't at the forefront, they seem like they're taking the backseat to the malty sweetness, although the maltiness really isn't there as a decent foundation, it's not as if it's there to support the hop wallop, which there is no wallop of. The maltiness is sweet and short-lived, again, like an Amber.

M-diacetyl-slightly slick, but the body is close to correct for the style.

D-I'd pick this over most taps of the garbage that's in my area in most pubs, but I sure wouldn't tell a hophead that it's an IPA to even mention.

hedonist91, Jul 13, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +19.3%

Golden color with little carbonation or head. little lacing.
Good citrus smell of grapefruit.
Good taste, with citrus and bitterness at the end.
Good mouthfeel, it goes down very easily.
Very drinkable. Even though ABV is a little high it is a good session beer. One of my favorite summer ales.

lou50rp, Jul 11, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +11.6%

This is all my neighbor really drinks and every now a then we tip a couple back. Mild IPA. Orange citrus and caramel in the nose. Caramel sweetness and fuity hops in the flavour followed by a balanced bitterness. Very quaffable and not bad, wouldnt hesitate to drink again but not something I would seek out.

mjryan, Jul 09, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +8%

A: Gold with a fingers-width head.

S: Judging against other IPA's, it's potency is average at best. However, the pine aroma of the hops is very nice (despite it being on the weaker side). The Redhook website says that the hops used are Alchemy, Cascade, and Willamette. That is surprisingly, considering the pine aroma. There is a slight floral hop in there as well, but I don't get any citrus from the Cascade dry hop. If someone told me it was 100% Simcoe, I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

T: The bitterness is there, but at 44 IBU's, this is like a slightly strong APA. This is a great training wheels IPA, I guess.

M: Light-bodied with a spritzy carbonation.

D: As an IPA, it's on the weaker side. It is still a decent beer, though.

gameface23, Jul 09, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

poured from bottle into glass

A- gold color. poured with a one finger head that keeps pretty well for a little bit then dissipates.

b- hit right away with a pleasant smell. fairly hoppy, flowery aroma.

T- pretty high, but not overly carbonated. balance between hops and malts is nice, nice hop flavor, but disappointed with the lower than expected hop presence from an ipa.

m - a little light in feel but not watery. goes down smooth.

d - very easy to drink. could throw back several, though not quite a session beer with the slightly higher alcohol level. would definitely have another, although id choose many others before this one.

Broombrew, Jul 08, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

The beer pours a nice golden color with about a finger of head. Upon first sip, it is sweet with a very mild hop presence. It lingers on the roof of my mouth and the finish is long and slow. It is smooth but does not provide that bite I was expecting or yearning for. This would make a great beginners IPA.

mzrebiec, Jun 30, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours golden with a little orangeish-red tint, medium head of medium-coarse texture with a silky smooth surface. Visible fine carbonation bubbling up to the top of the glass. Smell is slightly spicy, slightly floral, a little hay.

Taste is watery-bitter with a mildly sweet malt finish, and a soapy-sour aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly flat for how carbonated the beer appears. Neither thick nor heavy. While not an impressive beer, it's not bad. Drinkable, sessionable, however you want to call it.

snaotheus, Jun 26, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

I dont really understand why this beer gets so much hate. Its certainly not the best IPA out there, but it is an IPA and its far from the worst.

Appearance is cloudy orange with nice bubbles rising. 1/2 finger of creamy head

Nose is pretty weak for an IPA, just a little piney hop aroma

Taste, piney hops, a little citrus, a little alcohol

Mouthfeel: Seems over carbonated to me, medium body

Drinkability is pretty solid, but the heavy carbonation is a small deterent.

Overall an ok beer, I wont seek it out again, but I wouldn't say no to a free one.

Imsothirsty, Jun 26, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

Hmm... I thought, when I saw this one on sale for two bucks cheaper than the SNPA I was going to take home after a long, crappy week's work.
Popping open the bottle and pouring it into an old stolen Pizza Inn globe goblet, I gave it a sniff. Not great, but not bad.
The head was decent and had excellent retention. So far, so good.
Color was an agreeable reddish amber.
My first sip revealed what I was dreading after reading some of the other reviews.
This stuff is really, really sweet. Not like the delightful sweetness of a Scotch Ale. More reminiscent of Foster's or Steel Reserve.
Yuck!
The Hop flavors are excellent. If they dialed back the sugar, this could be a better than halfway decent Beer.
Drinkability. Well, since I'm not wealthy enough for the decadent sink pour, I'm going to attempt to choke the rest of this sixer down, but it's not something I'm looking forward to.
If a Hoppy Malt Liquor is something you daydream about, I can heartily recommend this one.
If you want an IPA, look elsewhere, my friend.

BobJustBob, Jun 22, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -28.1%

Appearance - Nice 1-1/4" head with good lacing. Cloudy pale yellow color.

Smell - A citric smell like lemon juice from a bottle. With a light wet dog musk. (not very pleasant)

Taste - The citrus taste tries to hide the overly bitter taste but does not. Very very dry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Heavy yet not chewy. (If that makes any sense)

Drinkability - No thanks this is not a true IPA in anyway. Gives me a bitter beer face.

SAtaMi, May 27, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +19.3%

I am new to trying IPAs from many years of Bud Light etc... I really enjoy Long Hammer. Nice smell once the top it popped and it goes down very smooth. Perfect IPA for a summer afternoon.

I would suggest this beer to anyone delving the great world of IPAs as a starter beer.

RemittanceMan, May 26, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy pale golden color. Has a medium-sized head that dissipates slowly to a tight foamy head. Leaves generous lacing.

Smell: Citrus smells dominate. Piney hops come out in the background. A little less hoppy than one would expect from an IPA.

Taste: Buttery and slightly bitter up front. Develops into a sweet hoppy flavor at the back. Slightly metallic and artifial tasting. Not the best IPA out there.

Mouthfeel: Thin and a little watery. Enough said.

Drinkability: A pretty sub-par IPA. Not nearly hoppy enough and extremely artifical tasting. Look elsewhere...

wahhmaster, May 23, 2010