Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

The beer pours a nice golden color with about a finger of head. Upon first sip, it is sweet with a very mild hop presence. It lingers on the roof of my mouth and the finish is long and slow. It is smooth but does not provide that bite I was expecting or yearning for. This would make a great beginners IPA.

mzrebiec, Jun 30, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours golden with a little orangeish-red tint, medium head of medium-coarse texture with a silky smooth surface. Visible fine carbonation bubbling up to the top of the glass. Smell is slightly spicy, slightly floral, a little hay.

Taste is watery-bitter with a mildly sweet malt finish, and a soapy-sour aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly flat for how carbonated the beer appears. Neither thick nor heavy. While not an impressive beer, it's not bad. Drinkable, sessionable, however you want to call it.

snaotheus, Jun 26, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

I dont really understand why this beer gets so much hate. Its certainly not the best IPA out there, but it is an IPA and its far from the worst.

Appearance is cloudy orange with nice bubbles rising. 1/2 finger of creamy head

Nose is pretty weak for an IPA, just a little piney hop aroma

Taste, piney hops, a little citrus, a little alcohol

Mouthfeel: Seems over carbonated to me, medium body

Drinkability is pretty solid, but the heavy carbonation is a small deterent.

Overall an ok beer, I wont seek it out again, but I wouldn't say no to a free one.

Imsothirsty, Jun 26, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

Hmm... I thought, when I saw this one on sale for two bucks cheaper than the SNPA I was going to take home after a long, crappy week's work.
Popping open the bottle and pouring it into an old stolen Pizza Inn globe goblet, I gave it a sniff. Not great, but not bad.
The head was decent and had excellent retention. So far, so good.
Color was an agreeable reddish amber.
My first sip revealed what I was dreading after reading some of the other reviews.
This stuff is really, really sweet. Not like the delightful sweetness of a Scotch Ale. More reminiscent of Foster's or Steel Reserve.
Yuck!
The Hop flavors are excellent. If they dialed back the sugar, this could be a better than halfway decent Beer.
Drinkability. Well, since I'm not wealthy enough for the decadent sink pour, I'm going to attempt to choke the rest of this sixer down, but it's not something I'm looking forward to.
If a Hoppy Malt Liquor is something you daydream about, I can heartily recommend this one.
If you want an IPA, look elsewhere, my friend.

BobJustBob, Jun 22, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -28.1%

Appearance - Nice 1-1/4" head with good lacing. Cloudy pale yellow color.

Smell - A citric smell like lemon juice from a bottle. With a light wet dog musk. (not very pleasant)

Taste - The citrus taste tries to hide the overly bitter taste but does not. Very very dry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Heavy yet not chewy. (If that makes any sense)

Drinkability - No thanks this is not a true IPA in anyway. Gives me a bitter beer face.

SAtaMi, May 27, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +19.3%

I am new to trying IPAs from many years of Bud Light etc... I really enjoy Long Hammer. Nice smell once the top it popped and it goes down very smooth. Perfect IPA for a summer afternoon.

I would suggest this beer to anyone delving the great world of IPAs as a starter beer.

RemittanceMan, May 27, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy pale golden color. Has a medium-sized head that dissipates slowly to a tight foamy head. Leaves generous lacing.

Smell: Citrus smells dominate. Piney hops come out in the background. A little less hoppy than one would expect from an IPA.

Taste: Buttery and slightly bitter up front. Develops into a sweet hoppy flavor at the back. Slightly metallic and artifial tasting. Not the best IPA out there.

Mouthfeel: Thin and a little watery. Enough said.

Drinkability: A pretty sub-par IPA. Not nearly hoppy enough and extremely artifical tasting. Look elsewhere...

wahhmaster, May 23, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -28.7%

a - Looks alright. Light, murky gold color with pretty good head. A bit of lacing as well.

s - Hops dominate the smell, not much else comes through.

t - Surprising to have the taste be so bland and devoid of hops considering how much they came through the smell. Really not a great tasting beer in my opinion.

m - Again, just sort of okay. Not much going on, but not really objectionable.

d - If it weren't for the taste, this would be a pretty good beer. Unfortunately, the taste is the most important part, and this one drops the ball in that area.

wesclaypool, May 14, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

This is a beer I used as a gateway for a long time into my progression towards liking craft beer, one I have very many bottle caps srom in my popcorn tin at home. I used to love it, being one of the only hometown beers available in San Diego when I first turned 21, but over the years I drank less and less of it. I did pick up a bomber recently to get back in touch with an old friend, and in a fair, not too bashing review, I decided to rate it as I see it now.

A- clear golden blonde, not like most better IPA's out there, with an almost white head that didn't lace nor retain very well

S- a little bitter, somewhat grainy, but not very complex

T- low hop presence, bready malt backbone, but also a bit metallic- many pilseners I've had are more hoppy than this

M- moderate body and carbonation

D- average says it best, seeing as they're more concerned with pushing product than giving us something to savor

BDJake, May 05, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass/

A- Dark yellow or light orange in color, rather transparent. White bubbly head, that left lacing.

S- Sweet citrus hops, not much else

T- Crisp clean flavor, initial sweet malt followed by a lemony/grapefruit ending.

M- Medium bodied that is fairly carbonated.

D- Drinkability is pretty high for this. Being over 6% alcohol the did a nice job, but in my opinion it i pretty mild tasting for an IPA. I would recommend it if you like pale ales more so than IPA's. Not bad, its just that there are better IPA's out there.

Misfit138, May 05, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Gold color with very little head, slight film remains over top center of beer, and around glass, but nothing substantial. Slight amount of suspended sediment create a slightly opaque look.

S- Smells of citrus are significant. Slightly sour finish. Smells of hops are concealed by the overwhelming smell of citrus...

T- Tastes ok. I mean, I guess. It's ok. Kind of thin. Like citrus finishing with hops then pine. Interesting, but not exciting or exotic. Just ok. Wait let me try again... yep, ok.

M- Not the most enjoyable beer to savor. This beer hits the tongue sharply. I don't know what it is about it honestly, it's just not the most pleasant mouthfeel. It's even sharp on the lips.

D- I know, I know, it sounds like I don't like this beer. I do. I like it very much. I find this beer to be very drinkable and drinking a six pack of this on the weekend is a nice time for me. I find this beer to be average, but I really like the bitterness of hops, and this being on sale is a very economical way to OD on hops.

Overall, this beer is ok, but nothing special. It is a regular in my fridge for the sole reason that I live in a rural area and my local grocer carries a limited selection so I've tried everything they have. If you have the choice of this and something else, try something else first, but make sure to try this sometime.

uabigdaz, May 03, 2010
1.55/5  rDev -52.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Fail. Shame on Redhook for (1) putting out this beer and (2) calling this an IPA. THIS IS NOT AN IPA. I don't know what this is but it is definitely not an IPA.

It poured the color of straw left in the sun for too long. This should have been the first hint.

It smelled like beer but where are the hops?

Tasted like a skunked Redhook ESB minus the malt character.

Drain pour.

BuckeyeOne, Apr 19, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a lovely golden orange. Fluffy white with ample lacing the whole drinking experience

Smell: Mild hops, sweetness via grapefruit. Average smell

Taste: Very "tame" for an IPA. This beer is NOT trying to revolutionize the way we think of IPA's but it does a fine job at being generic. Which honestly...isn't a bad thing. Some hop bitterness(not a lot but some) at the end. Slight citrus

Mouthfeel: A touch thin yet sticky from the malt

Drinkability: very easy to drink lots of these

livingregret, Apr 15, 2010

Poured into pub glass.

A: Light orange/ straw color. One finger slightly off-white head that recedes fairly quickly. Light chill haze that cleared after a few minutes.

S: Mild to moderate hop levels on the nose. Citrusy - grapefruit, orange, lemon perhaps.

T: Nicely grainy with very moderate bitterness for the style. Hop profile is pleasant, although not at all intricate or interesting. Very distinct citrus rind flavor in the aftertaste.

M: Thin and watery, although I thought it a bit better as it warmed. Decent carbonation.

D: Pretty high, actually. The simple, unoffensive flavor, matched with the thin body and uncomplicated nature of this beer equals the potential for significant levels of consumption, especially considering the inexpensive price.

Overall this is a very mellow IPA - seems more like an APA, really. If I was grading more to style, the scores would be lower. Uncomplicated, unexceptional, no flaws. Easy drinking and good for situations, like some parties, when you know you're not going to be paying enough attention to what's in your glass to break out the real good stuff, but you want something that tastes good. Unoffensive - could be a good intro to better beer for the uninitiated palate. Good for parties where you don't want to offend your guests' palates, but you refuse to offend your own at the same time. Good for what it is and the price point.

imperialstout27, Apr 15, 2010

A- Pours a cloudy gold/orange, similar to the appearance of apple juice. Fluffy white head that produces considerable lacing and a nice looking white sheet with a ring around the the top.
S- Very weak, all I can really get is some faint hop tones and some random sweetness?
T- Weak again, watery. Cracker-like. Hops with a bit of malt. This one is giving me trouble picking anything out. On a side note, the flavors were more present in belching than in drinking the beer.
M- Thin, watery, highly carbonated, and a bit oily.
D- Surprising that the 6.5% is masked so well, I guess if tossing back beer with nearly lifeless qualities is your thing you could do this one all night.

atremains, Apr 06, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -5.2%

On cask served in a pint; Advertised as "IPA w/ Summit and Nelson"

Appears a still orange with a foamy off-white cap. Retention is fair and there is minimal lacing.

Aromas of tangerines and hop oil with faint tobacco and a sticky caramel base. Pretty straightforward with nothing really jumping out at me.

The taste is very similar to the nose with tangerines, a dose of hop oil and mild bitterness. Some sticky caramel holds down the low end. Balanced and drinkable.

Oily mouthfeel with a light medium body. Being on cask, the carbonation is low and turns this into more of an english style IPA with a twist.

Pretty easy to drink, but the flavor profile isn't overwhelming enough to keep me happy glass after glass.

ColForbinBC, Mar 06, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +11.6%

Served in a pilsner glass with dinner (chicken & sun dried tomato).

Appearance - Clear orange in color with a thick cream colored head. Some nice lacing too.

Smell - Bright citrus hops. Definite aroma of tangerine.

Taste - Pretty strong hoppy flavor, although for the style I'd say pretty average. There's a distinct citrus flavor, but a bit lighter than what the smell might lead you to believe. Mild sweetness throughout with a nice bitter finish. I found it to be pretty well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Pretty smooth...medium carbonation.

Drinkability - Very easy to drink for an IPA.

Generally, when I'm in the mood for an IPA it's because I want something that packs a powerful hoppy punch. This is not that beer. Now that's not to say this isn't a great beer...in fact, I thought it was quite good! It's just not what I'm looking for in an IPA. I'll definitely drink Long Hammer in the future, but it will more than likely show up as a standard daily drink-with-dinner brew as opposed to a hops fix.

Mr3dPHD, Mar 04, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +24.8%

On cask at the Brewpub in Portsmouth.

The beer pours a peachy orange color with fair head retention and OK lacing. On the nose I get a goodly amount of citrus and pepper, with a hint of green tobacco. Flavors replicate the nose in this very smooth, very drinkable IPA. The bitterness is dialed down a bit with the cask conditioning, but this beer is quite well balanced and is very, very drinkable. On the cask, this almost comes across as a British style IPA, and a pretty good one in fact. There is some bitterness, but it really doesn't dominate the flavor profile.

I know it's fashionable to put these guys down, but this beer surprised me. Nothing wrong with this at all, and I'd happily order it again.

John_M, Mar 01, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours an extremely clear gold with a very small head, lots of bubbles and pretty decent lacing

Very very light hop smell.

Watery tasting bitteness that is barely an pale ale let alone an IPA. Finishes dry and bitter.

Mouthfeel was smooth, slighty short of medium bodied and a bit under carbonated.

I could drink a few of these...but dont really want to. The best thing about this beer is that it was quite cheap for an IPA.

teovaldi, Feb 26, 2010
3.28/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Apple juice color and clarity with a thin white head that didn't stick around too long.

S - Slightly hoppy/floral aroma with a strong hint of malt.

T - Bitter hop flavor with a heavy, but smooth malt hit.

M/D - Mouthfeel is full and rich, drinkability is average with heavy hops when you gulp but nothing unexpected.

mwa423, Feb 21, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Nice cloudy gold color with a fluffy white head of 1 finger. Good retention and nice lacing.

S: Lighter smell than many IPAs. Hops are there, but subdued, malt smells more sugary than grainy.

T: Nice strong grainy malt, and a nice hop following. Has an alkaline taste I don't really like, though. The hops stick with you after swallowing. Malt tastes slightly toasted. After a few swigs, it starts tasting like regular beer, though. OK for a house beer, but doesn't compare to the luxury IPAs on the market.

M: Overcarbonated and watery, this is one of the worst feeling IPAs I've had. A bit astringent. Light body. Oily.

D: Drinks alright except for the carbonation - burns a lot going down. Easy to put down since it's so light.

ralree, Feb 15, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

A- Short lived 1 finger head, hazy medium amber color (not just hazy, tons of floaties), very bubbly.

S- Sweet malt and honey, pleasant citrusy hops.

T- Does not live up to the aroma, a little hop bitterness and almost not maltiness to balance t out, kind of watery/weak tasting, not an IPA, barely a Pale Ale.

M- Medium-light body, well carbonated.

D- Easy to drink, but wouldn't do it again unless I had to.

NicholasSchell, Feb 13, 2010
3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A/S: Gold/copper/orange-ish color. Lighter than most. 1 finger head with decent retention. Smelled of citrusy hops, though much lighter than other IPA's.

T/M: Very nice taste, definite orange citrus flavor and decently bitter. However, like the smell, it was much more muted than usual. Almost feel like it was on the right track, as the taste was very good, but needed to be amped up a notch. Feel was lightly carbonated, medium bodied.

D: Price-wise, very good. But you get what you pay for. Hopheads like me will not be left 100% satisfied, but those just getting into IPA's, it's a very good start. I bought a 12 pack for the Superbowl and even my non-IPA-loving friends liked it. So I'd buy it again for the same crowd and drink a few myself. However, it wouldn't be my first choice for myself...needs a little more umph.

nelnutter, Feb 13, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

Eh...it's ok.

Pours a hazy gold with a slight head. A stingy bitter smell to it, mixed with some floral hops. The initial taste isn't anything impressive, no solid malt characteristics on this one. The bitterness of the hops dominate, and there is some floral hop flavor. I feel like this is a Bud Light doused in hops to try to add some character.

Like I said...it's an ok beer.

Soozy, Jan 23, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +18.7%

Long Hammer IPA

poured from a plain looking bomber. didn't look like it would be much, but at $2.99 a bomber, i couldn't pass it up! even if it does turn out to be horrible.

other reviews pummel this delicious brew to the ground. maybe i just give too much credit to the over the top bitterness that others seem opposed to. maybe i'm just crazy.

pours yellow with a thin head that leaves a few spots of lace behind. looks a little watery. obviously not very heavy on the malt. smells great! enticing citrus and hop smells jump out.

citrus hops dominate the taste. solidly bitter, light on the malt. not a very complex taste, but one that is easy to enjoy. this beer's strength comes not from it's massive complexity or versatility. it's just a nice, solid, bitter IPA.

mouthfeel light, if slightly light. easily drinkable, very enjoyable hoppy beer.

if you like IPAs, don't trust the horrible reviews on this guy. go out and try it for yourself. you may be pleasantly surprised like i was.

vdread, Jan 22, 2010