Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Light amber color with a thick off-white head that sticks nicely to the sides of a snifter glass.

Not too much going on in the nose. Basic grassy hops with some muted malts in the background. Hints of honey and green grapes.

Hay flavors dominate the palate mixed with some some bubble gum, more honey and hibiscus flowers. Im also getting an odd bit of a wheat/rye profile as well. Hops are not as prevelent as they should be in an IPA. Vanishing finish lends this one more towards session status.

APA maybe, IPA...I think not. An ok beer, just not a good example of the style. This one did sit in my beer fridge for 2 months, I remember it being a tad tastier fresh.

twiggamortis420, Aug 13, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

This a beer I tried as a jesture to a friend whom I am trying to get into drinking different beers. I could not tell him no, since he said he "kinda liked it". I have to admit that the drinkability, which if that was the only thing you went by, is very high, but then again, I am really easy to please.

The appearance, taste, and mouthfeel were all average. Nothing worth wasting space expounding upon.

The smell was nice and aromatic, but I love hop aroma...

As I said, high on the drinkability scale for me. If you like IPAs this is a good one. If you consider yourself an officianado of IPAs, then you can find many faults, but I say just drink and enjoy.

btw, it is hard not to like beer in the middle of an oppressive gulf-coast Louisiana summer.

scurvy311, Aug 12, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

On tap received a pint with a moderate head on top of a deep gold/mild amber brew

Got a whiff of hop, some grain.

Eh. Hops are there. Some malt, not much else going on.

Mildly fizzy, with no distinctive features.

I guess these can go down ok, if you are thirsty. Not worth trying again. Fair at best.

OtherShoe2, Aug 10, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy gold with particles, head's on the thin side.

Smell: Moderate citrus aroma.

Taste: Very balanced between sweetness and citrus bitterness.

Drinkability: I've seen this at various bars, you can have a couple due to non-overpowering flavors.

A pretty average IPA, not too hoppy or too malty. Seems like it could be a stepping stone beer for the step from pale ales to higher hop levels.

Mdog, Aug 10, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

This was a great beer for the bargain. My friend lbkornlb14 and I went into our local watering hole to get a snootfull. We are big hopheads and saw long hammer IPA. The kicker was it wasnt popular so the bartender set the price at $1 a PINT. My friend and I went bananas. The color was golden. The aroma was full of nice rich hop smell. The flavor was chock full of bittering hops on the front, smooth on the finish. The mouth feel was great. I dont remember how many we put down that night, but I am glad we went that night.

NoahSYGG, Aug 04, 2008

On tap at Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs game in Pennsylvania. Never had a Redhook beer and I was impressed. It wasn't the best IPA that I've tasted but it was pretty good, maybe it was the total surprise of having the option of having a microbrew at a ballgame.

Hard to review the pour as it was served in a plastic cup but the color was a golden brown and the head disappeared very quickly.

Could smell the hops and a hint of lemon (?) the taste was very filling - great feel as it went down.

I would love to find this beer in a bottle to taste it again. I think the ballpark atmosphere kind of threw me off as I wasn't prepared to make notes of a tasting.

rkcrozier, Aug 04, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Well, I wasn't sure where to review this beer. There were two listings. One for the Woodinville, WA brewing location and one for the Portsmouth, NH location. My bottle had Portsmouth, NH on the bottle lable, so, I decided to review it here. Surprising that there are only 81 reveiwers here yet 480+ reviewers for the Washington location.... oh well, here goes:

Pourred into a pintglass to produce a 1" head of pure white foam. The head had minimal retention and left a bit of spotty lace on the glass as it dwindled down to a thick cap. The beer is lighter than most IPA's I've had.... more of a golden yellow.

Smell: Good nose... somewhat piney and a bit of toasted malt.

Taste: A little disappointing.... not enough of a hops bite to be considered an IPA but it shows up in the finish. In the middle there is more of a light malt ... then at the end the hops makes it's presence known... not overpowering at all.

MF: A little too thin for my taste... not very robust as I prefer in my favorite IPA's.

Drinkability: Good safe beer.... nothing extreme for the hop heads. At $7.99 a sixer it's average in every respect.

TheBierBand, Aug 02, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours nice, light, yellow/orange.

Aroma on this beer is excellent, very fresh hops, bordering on astringent aroma, reminds me of opening an oz of hops before throwing it in the homebrew kettle. GREAT Aroma.

Taste is good, light bitterness, grapefruit-citrus, transitioning into a nice, sweet floral bouquet... light malt flavors, very light... in fact, that is the only area in whichthe beer is lacking. The hop aspect is perfectly executed... bitter, floral, but not overwhelming... the malt, well, just isnt very complex. However, still and excellent beer.

Clean finish, nice hops, would buy again.

PBBC, Jul 30, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the only decent and microbrewed beer on tap at the local bar I go to every so often to kill some time with my buddies, watch sports, hit on women, and play "Big Buck Hunter." And Long Hammer is a perfect brew for those occasions.

This is a solid enough IPA. Goes down easy. Alcoholy, but not as complex as your typical IPA. I guess you could call this a "beginner's" IPA. Especially since my macro-swilling friends can handle it too. But there's nothing wrong with that. When I'm drinking it on draft, paying more attention to friends, women, sports on TV, and bar games than unequivocally savoring the beer in hand, it is perfect for what it is. A tasty enough, highly drinkable beer. This is the kind of brew you want to get effed up on during long drinking sessions.

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com

TheViceBlog, Jul 25, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Last time I tried this beer was in 2004 and I was not impressed with the hop levels but I had it again recently on tap and lo and behold the hops were there and I enjoyed the pint. Did the recipe change or is the draft that much better? I will order this again as it is a well made hoppy IPA that is easy to find and well priced.

canucklehead, Jul 22, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a nice pretty golden color but much like any other regular beer. The head was nice anf fluffy and held on pretty well. The lacing was good and held up pretty well also. The taste was a little harsh a little pineapply. I just did not like the taste and will not buy again as this is like the third try.

Minkybut, Jul 21, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance: Amber to yellow; slightly hazed. One inch coarse white head. Lacing was pronounced but very light.

Smell: Clear fresh floral hop aroma. Bready yeast and hint of citrus.

Taste: Slightly sweet caramel maltiness up front and again some bread/grain underneath.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thin side for this style I thought. Carbonation was nicely balanced.

Drinkability: Not one of the best, but definitely drinkable. Could it be more of an APA instead of an IPA?

Haybeerman, Jul 16, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours slightly hazy straw color with contrasting white head.

Nose is citrus, focused toward lemon.

Palate is rather timid in terms of hop presence, very citrus-acidic but not the same amount of accompanying citrus flavor with the acidity. Some grapefruit. Has a macro-lager like characteristic that is unwelcome.

Light bodied. Watery.

yemenmocha, Jul 12, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +8.6%

I bought a six pack of this at Rittenhouse Deli in Ardmore, Pa and poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body was a opaque light amber topped off with a tan medium sized head with better than poor retention but leaving lots of lace.
Smell: Lack of depth with only citrus hops present.
Taste: More balanced with cinnamon (? I think) but having a great malt backbone yet retaining the citrus hops.
Mouthfeel: Rigid.
Drinkability: The spices area bit odd, but once gotten use to, very nice.
Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Jul 11, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Picked up a 6 pack of 12 oz bottles from Lucky Grocery Store in San Jose, CA for about $6-7. Poured into a pint glass. This is the last beer I'm having from the 6 pack and the one that I am reviewing. I must note that I have not been particularly impressed with the first 5.

Looks like a classic IPA. Light golden transparent color with a nice almost 2 inch frothy white head that retains pretty well. Thick lacing.

Grapefruit, piney, citrusy hoppy nose.

Taste is smooth, and lighter for an IPA. Still all the normal characteristics (citrus, hoppy taste), but just in lighter fashion. This would be a good beer for those getting into IPAs that think some of the bigger IPAs have too much of a bittery bite and strong aftertaste.

Smooth, somewhat creamy. Nice carbonation, light to medium body. Easy one to drink. Would be a nice session beer on a sunny afternoon.

ibbjamin, Jul 09, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

Thanks to Mully for tossing this in as 1 of 8(Eight) extras.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a pint.

A: Pours a very light amber with some yellowish tinting. Maybe a finger worth of off white head forms and dies fast. Some decent lacing to start before falling off.

S: Definitely has some american hopping going on, citrus, a bit of pine and resin. However, it has a surprisingly strong malt base, bready, doughy, malts, chewy. It's not unpleasant, really... just not what I want in my single IPA. A quick touch of alcohol in the back.

T/M: Decent bitterness level but it has some detectable metallic taste right up front with the hops and bitterness. Sweet bready malts do a bit more than balance, again a bit disappointing. Body is medium with thick, nearly chewy malts. Some lasting bitterness fights its way through to a lightly drying finish.

D: Being a bit heavy will hurt the drinkability some, as well as (IMO) being at least a little bit outside of the style. 6.5% is decently well hidden.

pwoods, Jul 07, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

The Long Hammer pours a clear light orange yellow color with a good one finger foam head. Pretty decent lacing.

The aroma was citrusy and had a hint of pine. The taste was very light for an IPA. Not much malt background and the hop presence was virtually absent. Not very bitter at all. IBU must be low for this one. In the mouth it was thin and didn't leave much of a mark. Overall a very middle of the road IPA.

cswhitehorse, Jul 06, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +15.6%

I've had this one on draft at The Cambridge House numerous times over the last couple of months. Wanted to give it a go in the bottle.

Poured into pint glass, nice head which dissipates to a film. Good lacing throughout. Color is light to medium straw; a bit on the light side for an IPA.

No really discernible aroma. Some faint grass and malt, but very little.

Despite lack of aroma, taste is quite nice. There is some hops bite at the start with malt dominating over the drink, with some sweetness in the finish; not cloying. Overall a very balanced brew.

Mouthfeel is quite even and on the full side.

I really like this one alot. While I'm far from a hop head, good balance and definite IPA qualities give this one a nice drinkability, although in the current extreme environment, this one is probably going to be lost in the shuffle. Too bad.

Also, IMO, I think this one is closer to an English IPA than an American version due to the malt dominance. Just sayin....

Steve

sraimondi, Jul 05, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours out a hazy golden color with a tall white head that's a bit thin, fades fast.

Aroma is mostly hops - citric and pine. A very slight malt underneath.

Taste follows the aroma - citric and pine taste, not much malt to it, but altogether a bit weak and unbalanced.

Mouthfeel is peppy, it's a light-to-medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

Hey, it's a fairly drinkable beer that's just about average for its style. Nothing wrong here, but nothing amazing.

Drewcifer, Jul 04, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

a: pours a nice golden orance color with about a half inch of head that dissapears fast leaving no lacing at all
s: strong aromas of citrus and piny hops hints of sweet malts
t: strong flavors of citus and piny hops
m: medium bodied beer with little carbonation

overall, i really enjoy this however for an ipa it really is hop heavy little balance

but it is good

happygnome, Jul 02, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +25.4%

i picked up a growler and took it out on the disk golf course, this was reel good when your hot and it had a punch, 6.5 %, i dident know going into the round, by the 15th hole this beer took a hold on me and i couldent throug strate to save my life, on anouther note the flaver was ok, but the middle was just a bit off, maby a little to bitter to fast then nuthing all and all i liked it though

orcasteve, Jul 01, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours light -golden amber with small head and thin lace. The aroma is just hops and some hint of malts. The taste is piney hops,light malts and caramel tones. The feel is medium carbonation and a bit of grains in the finish. Nothing complex.

Notes: A simple,slightly below average IPA.
Do not hesitate to try it, because it was not bad at all.
Yes,it did lack the hop power and yes it did seem very simple and plain,but it was fine on a hot,humid day. A good starter to have before trying something with more complexity.
Simply put this was O.K.

Lexluthor33, Jun 29, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

The pint was served to me with a hazy golden hue. Little activity. It had a frothy full head that didn't last long.

I could not smell anything, there was no scent that I could tell. Maybe I went smell blind, but only during this beer.

It was slightly malty, sweet and smooth. It had a refreshing finish.

It was very drinkable and would have had a second or third but had to move on.

Rennpferd, Jun 28, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: pours a light golden color, very clear, fairly light compared to some other IPAs I've had. thin head which shrinks quickly, but remains enough to produce good lacing throughout.

Smell: can definitely smell the hops with a hint of citrus flavors too.

Taste: slight taste of the malts, some citrus flavors, and the hop taste to finish it off. Nothing is too overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: thin, lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: for an IPA it goes down smooth. Not a whole lot of flavor from any one part of it, but not a bad beer to sip on during the summer months, not what I would consider a true IPA, but it does have a good taste if you're not looking for that big hop flavor.

AJFitz, Jun 22, 2008

I guess I'll go against the grain on this one. I thought it was pretty good. Had on tap, medium yellow with a nice frothy head that faded quickly but left tons of lacing.

Aroma of citrus and floral hops.

I'll admit this isn't your classic IPA but it works for me. Hops start off strong then vanishes quickly, but in a smooth interesting way, I can't explain it.

If your set on a traditional IPA then pass, otherwise its refreshing and easy to drink.

MOShepp, Jun 22, 2008