1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a pale amber color with frothy white head, decent retention and lacing. Extremely pale scent, reminicent of a macro adjunct with only a hint of hops. Taste is somewhat dirty, like stale earthy hops, only a faint hint of pine resin, big bitter bite. Unusually sweet and somewhat buttery cracker taste on the back end. Thin, under carbonated, lasting bitter aftertaste. Mediocre IPA without much hop presence and some off notes.

3.23/5  rDev -1.2%

OK. At first drink this is a decent and even alternative american pale ale available at most of our local grocery stores. Two or 3 six-packs might lead one to decide this is a fine example of an APA and a decent every day drinker. Having consumed many more than that I think this is a very inconsistent example of an apa and a bit funky (not in a good way) pale.

Aroma and hop flavor are not typical grassy and fruity. Rather, a bit earthy and not in a way that is expected. Color, head, carbonation etc. all fine. The biggest difference in this beer is the hop flavor that comes across as dirty or unhealthy as if RH is using cheap or otherwise undesirable hops to build the hop backbone. Sometimes this is a nice, unique, and different flavor but upon further experience it comes across as cheap.

In the world of grocery store APAs this one is near the bottom although it is not a horrible beer by any means.

c+

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a light crisp amber with a very thin light white head and a tame slightly hoppy nose.

Taste is bitter, hoppy and sweet. Very smooth and drinkable but not too complex for an ipa. decent beer and better on draft than a bottle.

3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a 16 oz tulip pint glass (September 4, 2009).

Eyes: Light colored, light head, low retention, light lacing. Not bad or good here.

Nose: A decent hop presence, mildly citrus. Not particularly potent, but decent.

Tongue: Tastes like a light IPA. A bit too bitter to be supported by the flavor. There is some malt, but not much.

Mouth: Fairly smooth and clean. The bitterness is a bit too evident.

Libation: I think this would be a good "gateway" IPA for people moving from adjunct lagers to craft beers. Good for the price, and better that expected, very drinkable for a beer, but not my favorite IPA out there.

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

Part of a mixer sixer I just picked up.

The appearance is cloudy yellow-gold, with a soapy white head that sticks decently to the glass.

Aroma is subtle, mildly yeasty and with just a hint of hops to balance out the combo.

A sour one here. The flavor begins bitter with the hops--but is very one note. Little malt flavor or otherwise. There is a noticeable sourness, especially on the finish. And quite honestly, the hops aren't strong enough to make this an acceptable hop bomb. Not the best I have ever had.

Dry, sticky, a little over carbonated...

I just believe this is one of those beers that is trying to be a hop bomb. But, like all wanna be circle hangers, imitation merely masks the fact that there is no depth beyond that superficial commonality.

2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

appearance: no lacing and head retention. golden amberish

smell: very subtle hop aroma and citrus notes

taste: not a solid IPA, if I rated by style this would be one of the worst, but I don't. I would chose this beer over alot. Atleast it has some flavor with the hops

mouthfeel: in the light side of the body

drinkability: overall a below avg IPA

3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

The color is very glassy and pale amber. The head is decent with a bit of lacing. The aroma is light with hops and a little banana. But not much citrus and certainly no bread. Upfront there is a moderate amount of bitterness. There is a bit of sweetness under it all. In the back is more generic hops. Again, no real citrus or bread. There is nothing wrong with this brew, but also very little is right. A decent session IPA.

3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

The pour is this one is a bright golden color with half of finger of foamy white head that eventually settles to a cover over the beer but laces quite nicely the whole way down.

There's a bit of grapefruit on the nose, but ultimately the smells of pine and citrus dominate. Relatively typical IPA notes---sort of reminds me of the North West.

Taste is citrus and pine hops and not much else. There's some sort of sour hoppy aftertaste that I don't particularly enjoy. If it weren't for that the beer would likely score higher and be way more drinkable for me.

Nonetheless, try this when you get a chance--alongside some other IPAs it'll likely make their good qualities shine through. Long Hammer is a relatively mundane West Coast IPA that I'll probably end up trying again sometime....like when the rest of the beers in my fridge disappear.

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: slightly hazy light gold color with a two-finger eggshell head.

Smell: plenty of earthy hops; not bad but not particularly complex.

Taste: there's a little bit of malt flavor and it's a bit on the sweet side. It is not a super-hoppy IPA; rather, it's more along the lines of an APA. Like the aroma, hops are mostly earthy with a little citrus.

Mouthfeel: a bit too light for me, but not horrible.

Drinkability: I think this is a perfectly decent sessionable IPA and wouldn't mind having a few.

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

RedHook's Longhammer IPA pours an orange-amber in a pint glass. Quality head and lacing; citrus and pine hop flavor throughout the beer - good solid IPA, balanced but overall a muted IPA.

Personally: I will put it to you like this, I was at a ACDC concert recently and my choices were Amstel Light, Heineken, Miller Lite and this. Good IPA that certainly tastes much better than macro-pilsners.

2.68/5  rDev -18%

My 1st beer review!
My buddy brought a 6-pack over for the Angels/Yankee game. I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Golden color, typical of most IPAs. About a finger-width of foam on the head, which settles into not much of a head at all relatively quickly. There is noticeable lacing as you drink it down the glass.

S - Hops aroma, kind of diluted compared to other strong IPAs, mixed with some pine, and some sort of citrus. I'm getting a mix of grapefruit and/or lemon.

T - Taste reflects the smell. Not too much of a hoppy bitterness to it, but that pine taste and a grapefruit/slightly sour aftertaste.

M - Kind of a thin, watery feeling for an IPA. There's not much kick to it flavor-wise, but there is a prickly sensation left on your tongue as you swallow.

D - It's drinkable, if you're looking for an "easy-to-drink" IPA. Personally, I like more flavor, and much more bitterness in my IPAs.

This is your standard "generic" IPA that can be bought at any local grocery store. Treat it as such, and don't expect anything amazing.

2.68/5  rDev -18%

Clear gold/straw color, small white foamy head that settles to a light lace.

Light pale malt aroma with a faint lemony hop zing. Starts off grainy, with light hop bitterness. Hops are more tangy than citrusy, but a wisp of lemon comes through, mostly from the aroma. Grainy flavor lasts through the finish, which has a hint of alcohol. Pale malt tastes husky and unrefined. Mouthfeel is fairly thin with prickly carbonation. Pretty disappointing, even at a cheap price.

4.08/5  rDev +24.8%

A: Golden orange with a off white head that leans towards the same orange hue. It looks nice and foamy from the top, but there is minimum retention and it is thin and fading. Good lacing though. Nice tight bubbles. Beer is a little hazy too though. That's a begrudgingly low score.

S: Strong, sort of general west coast hop aroma. I'm getting a blend of citrus and piney hops, I can't really pick it out. Smells a little softened by age as well. I really like it. Appropriate strength and everything. A good malt to back it up.

T: Taste is similar to the smell, but kinda washed out. Still a nice hop-leaning balance. Very appropriate for an IPA. More in the English style with American hops. I really like it, I think I will start recommending it to people. It's accessible but I good example of the style.

M: Pretty nice, but a little too neat. I expect an IPA to be a little dirty, give me some, I don't know, funny feeling on my tongue. This was just too clean and easy going.

D: A super drinkable IPA to me, but I'm not a hop head. But still, I like it a lot.

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

Got this while I was out...to be honest wasn't expecting much...got what I paid for for sure.

A- Pours a clear golden yellow color. 1 finger white head which dies down pretty quickly leaving a little bit of lace but it all seems to be soapy and fall down the side of the glass.

S- Light hop smell with a bigger sweet malt profile in the background. Doesn't smell like a typical IPA. Has a corn syrup kind of weird smell to it. I am not quite sure what they where going for on this but they missed all marks in my opinion.

T- Light bitter taste upfront with a huge malt taste throughout the entire beer except for a light bitterness to it in the end. This seems like a mass produced IPA that really doesn't go for flavor. I expected a little bit more than a semi-hopped watery style micro beer.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little bit too much for the style I think. Kind of crisp and clean mouthfeel because it is so watery. Light hop aftertaste and well...BMC style taste on the palate.

D- This could be a drinkable beer if I were to get something else in my system first. This is a terrible try at a style that has already enough bad versions of it. I would pass on this again if I had the chance!

3.48/5  rDev +6.4%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle from the Portsmouth NH brewery marked 051909. Sampled on September 25, 2009. It pours more orange-amber than anything else with a slight haze and a nice foamy white head. The aroma is uniquely floral more than hoppy. Maybe there is a vague yeast scent in there too. The mouthfeel is about medium. The hops are way more evident in the taste than in the aroma, which makes it kind of nice.

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Clear Translucent golden color which pours a 1 1/2 finger off white head which provides some decent lacing as it dissipates on the side of the glass.

S - Light hop aroma with some grassy floral overtones. There is a sweet bread profile which includes a hint of malt on the back end. Pretty dry finish overall.

T - Not your typical IPA taste profile, this is more like an Extra Pale Ale than an IPA. This beer is too thin in taste and structure to call it an IPA.

M - Lighter than a traditional IPA, dry, crisp and a bitter taste from the finishing hops.

D - Pretty decent session beer but this should be labeled a Pale Ale vs. a traditional IPA

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Someone got a draft of this IPA right before me... and the tender poured it down the side, no head built up what so ever. I'm no draft expert but I think a little bit of head should still develop... absolutely no lacing to speak, bare down the glass. my friends bud amercian ale had lacing but this did not! Only reason it doesn't get an F for appearance is I couldn't get a great look at the color, darn black lights!
Anyhow... smelled light for an IPA, citrus hops are there, but a sweet sugary smell covers up and masks everything else
Taste is same as the smell... rather sweet... some citrus hops, maybe a hint of pine. Almost as if they added sugar to mask the bittering... or skipped the bittering method.
Mouthfeel is too light for an IPA. Not sticky or oily, reminds me of a lager.
Only reason i'm giving this a 4.0 drinkability is it went down easy, and could be a good transition beer for the macro drinkers. Got me buzzed... but made me crave a real IPA!

2.33/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A-A golden yellow color with almost an amber hue. About one fingers worth of foamy white head with a fair amount of lacing

S-A slight aroma of hops, but not what you would expect from an IPA. Kinda disapointing

T-Even more disaponting than the smell. A slight hint of hops, but very subdued. Bitter after taste, which was the most exciting part of this beer.

M-Medium body, with a fair amount of carbonation

D-easy to drink but no real character to speak of

This is not a true IPA

3.53/5  rDev +8%

Poured a dark yellow with a one finger head that quickly dissipated to a splotchy skin. The aroma was slightly citrus. The taste was mildly citrus too. The feel was light bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability was good. Not bad, definitely not overstated. A respectable effort from Red Hook.

2.6/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this in Warsaw, IN on 2009-12-18

The good news is this was served on draft for the low, low price of $1.00 per pint at The Downtown (on special).

The color is clear amber with a 1 finger, white head. There's not much aroma.

The malt flavor is mild of grain, citrus and hops. I thought the bitterness was particularly light for an IPA.

You can quaff this easily because of its light character.

3.13/5  rDev -4.3%

A - A clear amber body...kind of light for an IPA...a one finger white head forms and falls into a ring...nice lacing

S - Sweet malts and piney hops...pretty balanced in the nose...but not overpowering aromas

T - I would have rather had the nose replace the taste...very unbalanced...starts off very sweet...almost to the point of cloying...there really isn't a middle to this beer...it turns right over to a harsh earthy hop bitterness...the malts do not come back to help...I would have scored lower but the two flavors are nice...it's just too much of both with no balance

M - Light bodied...not much to this one...harsh bitterness

D - This is definitely not my favorite IPA...it wouldn't be too bad if there was some balance to the beer...if I needed hops I would go back...but only if I had to

3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Light golden yellow. Not much of a head, white, disappears quickly. Average lacing. Not a terrible looking beer, just averge.

Smells of muted hops, some lemony citrus. Some pale malt comes through as well. Either this is an extremely reserved IPA or the bottle label should read APA.

Tastes like the smell: muted. Not very much hoppiness to start, bitter on the finish. Florals, dandelion and lemon flavors. Malt also finishs on the palate. Decent balance.

Not much of an aftertaste. Kind of a boring beer.

Drinkability is fine, but it drinks like a high(er) ABV APA. This beer seems a little confused.

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

12 oz bottle.

Appearance: Clear light orange. Thin head, very scant lacing.

Smell: A little bit of orangey hops smell. A little crackery malt in there too. Not much, but what's there is ok.

Taste: The bitterness is more pronounced than I thought it would be, but it doesnt have much good flavor in there other than bitter. If the hops is going to be flavorless, I'm gonna need some more malt to balance it. The finish is sharply bitter on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Not too impressive. Reasonable body I guess. A little slick.

Drinkability: This is one of those beers that I prefer in the bottle, simply because I expect less that way. When subjected to scrutiny of any kind, this doesnt hold up. However, for drinking at a cookout or something, this stuff is fine, plus its pretty cheap.

3.73/5  rDev +14.1%

I was given a sixer by my brother last weekend.

The beer looked nice - color like cooking oil but with bubbles (this is not to imply syrupy at all)

The smell was pleasant. Nothing that comes out and smacks you with hops or malt, but still nice.

The taste is bitter, light and has a nice malty aftertaste. This might be a good transition beer for someone who might think that Miller Highlife is good stuff (I have a soft spot for the stuff, but rarely drink it anymore).

The mouthfeel was crisp and carbonated.

Drinkability was a high point of this beer. It was quite drinkable and at 6.5% it does not have as high of an ABV as many IPA's but packs more of a punch than alot of traditional beers.

Overall, I would drink this stuff again but I would probably not but it unless I found it at a place that I didnt expect to find any decent brews (i.e. gas station or small town grocery store).

3.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Long hammer, from 12 oz. bottle.
Although this is a pretty standard tasting and bodied ipa I find myself liking it as its departs from the high heady flavors of strong ipas and gives you a sort of easy drinking taste that makes it a good beer for a hot day or just a thirsty one. Good drinkability and light flavor make this a good starter ipa. Not a bad beer or a great one, but good enough.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery