Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Straw yellow... a bigger head on this one, creamy with a nice lacing on the way down

S: Hops are a bit on the mild side with an unusual sweetness and something that seems a bit metallic.

T: I certainly wouldn't have called it an IPA. Hop bitterness is very mild, and there's a slight fruitiness. Some notable traces of butterscotch-diacetyl that linger after each sip.

M + D: Body is fine... carbonation is pretty good, body is a standard medium. Unfortunately, it falls a bit short both in style and in general. Drinkability isn't a huge issue... more of a matter of why.

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

pours a clear pale amber with a small white head, some lacing.

smell is of sweet fruit, caramel, some citrus, some hay and grass in the back.

taste is a tad watery, light grapefruit, some caramel, a little pine, and hops, ends bitter and a tad sweet, becomes more watery as it warms.

3.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a light orange almost like a pilsner.

The smell on this one doesn't really overwhelm in any fashion but has a light hop aroma.

Taste: for an IPA this one isn't really that big, nothing dramatic in any way. Has a little grassy hop taste and fresh taste as well.

Mouthfeel is light and nothing extraordinary.

Drinkability: Being that it isn't that big I guess you could pound a bunch of em but who wants to do that anyways. Can't say that I dislike it as much as a lot of other people so I would say give it a shot it might be a good intro beer.

3.7/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a slightly hazy true golden color with a small white dissapating head that leaves good lacing.

Aroma is of soft but bright lemon juice and a lot of pale base malt. Simple and one demensional.

Flavor is the same as above.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and a little on the watery side.

Very drinkable, good session ale.

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

From a "Redhook Greatest Hits" box.

Pours a clear copper color, reminiscent of an American macro lager almost. Lively carbonation. Large two finger head is produced from an aggressive pour. Retention is amazing, I'm shocked. 10 minutes later, there is still a one finger head.

Smell has a fruity or floral hint to it. There is something hidden here...something I can't quite put my finger on. Overall, the nose is very light and mild, nothing standing out too much.

My first sips didn't give me any hints as to what the hidden character is...not yet at least. A very very light bitterness is present, really not up to par with other IPA's. I'm actually surprised at how little bitterness there is going on. To be honest, at first (when the brew is cold from the fridge), there is nothing go on. But then....

I really wasn't expecting this, but I definitely get a Belgian quality here. Spicey and very lightly fruity, this is the hidden character that I couldn't name in the nose. I swear to you, this tastes like a lightly hopped Belgian Pale Ale. At first, I wasn't too keen on the taste, but I LOVE Belgians, and I'm starting to love this. For sure, let this one warm before you drink it.

Very light mouthfeel. Crisp from the carbonation. Definitely drinkable, I could session this all night.

I know it seems strange, but I love the Belgian qualities I get in this. It took me a while to put my finger on it, but it gets more pronounced every sip I take. I really like this one. I'm a fan!

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

Purchased a 22oz. bottle, dated Oct. 8, 2008. So 2 1/2 months later, in my belly.

Not a huge fan of Redhook beers, but this tops all the others I have tried.

Light amber/copper color... not cloudy at all.

Smells dry-hoppy.. slightly floral with some thick malt notes in scent.

Love the taste. Not a very strong IPA... some pine notes as well as a bit of a citrus zinger to it. Rather smooth and not overwhelming. The hops and malts balance very well. Doesn't leave my mouth dry... and the aftertaste... tastes like the ale!

No head at all with little to no lacing. But it is very drinkable and has just the right amount of carbonation for my taste. A very good standard and basic west coast Ale.. whether a pale, or IPA... call it what you will... or what they do anyway.

2.55/5  rDev -22%

Pours a clear golden color, a big amount of head that doesn't stick around for too long.

Smells mostly of citrus hops and some sweetness.

Tastes of citrus hoppiness and a little matly sweetness. This is a very weak IPA and I would've thought it was a pale ale.

Feels a bit thin in the mouth.

Fairly drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

A- Small head with OK retention on a transparent copper/butterscotch body

S- Smell is of resiny piney/citrus hops

T- Tastes like the smell but not as potent as most american IPAs

M&D- Sorta slick and oily but overall pretty resfreshing and easy to drink for 6.5%ABV

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

Served on-tap in a clear pint glass

A: Golden with no head given the generous pour

S: Light aroma mainly of honeysuckle and pale malt

T: Quenching and pretty nicely balanced although I think this brew fits better in the APA category (especially if my wife will enjoy it raight along with me). Plenty of pale malt and some caramel malt sweetness hits with a citrus and herbal, honeysuckle tartness that is pretty dry.

M: Way too watery and light in body for the style although the aftetaste is pleasant citrus/grapefruit.

D: I like the on-tap version far more than the bottle -- especially when it is poured to 16oz mark. It went very well with piping hot sausage pizza.

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

Looks like about an IPA should, maybe a bit darker than to be expected, but good color. Foamy white head with a light lacing. Smells citrusy ,a bit of hops, but not a real strong smelling beer. Tastes similar, citrus with some hops bitterness to finish. A bit thin in my opinion, and that seems to be the norm for Red Hook beers. Overall this isnt a bad IPA, if it can be called that. Its one of the first IPA's I have had so I can't really compare it to much. I may re-review this after some further 'research' into IPA's.

3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: Most IPA's I've come across tend to have very similar appearances, this one was a bit more transparent than others, and has an amber color to it.

Smell: I didn't really mind the smell, but nevertheless, I was not superbly impressed with its smell. I just want to take this opportunity to say that I am not reviewing this beer to slam it - I'm drinking it right now and it's convenient for me to review this beer atm, but I feel that its smell is its weakpoint and thus does not segue into a fantastic taste. There is room for improvement here.

Taste: The taste is actually quite nice. The hops in this beer are very pleasing and increases its drinkability to compensate for its not-so impressive smell. This redeeming quality makes it a bit surprising.

Mouthfeel: What can I say? Average. Nothing noticeably outstanding in this area, but I am after all an amateur.

Drinkability: To me, this beer barely qualifies as a session beer. It trails an interesting aftertaste that is somewhat inviting. This is a good beer if you're throwing a party and it's on sale at your local grocery store, but you have enough self respect to not purchase some unmentioned macro lagers (you probably know what I'm talking about).

Conclusion: It's not a terrible brew, but it's not fantastic either.

3.7/5  rDev +13.1%

At first pouring very disappointed. Weak frosting and watery apperance. Aroma not full with light fullness, not expected from an IPA. The Pale Ale I had previously presented much better. But don't sell this ale short. Has good drinkability with a nice bitter hop and refreshing feel on the tongue. This guy is much better than its rating.

Sampled at the Flour City Brewers' Fest 2008. Redhook Long Hammer IPA is a dense, light golden ale with a huge, white, fluffy, rocky head. It leaves excellent lacing. It has a huge aroma of hops-- not citrusy, maybe Saaz. It is medium light bodied and pretty smooth with a dry finish. The flavor is pretty mellow and really well balanced. It tastes grassier than the aroma and I'm detecting some lemon that I didn't pick up in the aroma. I'd like to compare this to Ballard Bitter.
(rated Aug 17, 2008)

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours a clear, golden/pale tea color with a lingering, slightly off-white head that leaves some light lacing. The aroma and flavor indicate a fresh, floral, grapefruit, and light pine hop presence. There is also a bit of toasty caramel malt in the flavor. The bitterness level is mild to moderate; just enough to make this beer interesting. The only downsides are that the body seems a bit thin and watery from time to time and there is also a tinge of a metallic edge in the finish sometimes. Pretty good,suprised it was rated so low

2.98/5  rDev -8.9%

A blandly bitter IPA. There are some citric-pine hops in the aroma, but very little hop richness comes through in the flavor. The beer looks alright, golden with a rocky off-white head. The aroma is long on hops but you can tell that things are out of whack. Malt contributes very little to the nose. This beer is in dire need of stronger, richer malt flavors. I don't know if it's the lack of malt or a problem with the hops, but the hops also lack richness and depth. They have some bitter citric flavor, but the bitterness overwhelms their richer qualities. This is not to say that there is no sweetness. In fact, there is some syrupy sweetness but it only makes the feel somewhat cloying rather than adding depth to the beer. The mouthfeel is somewhat astringent. I like a strongly bitter hop kick, but it needs hop richness to balance it out. This beer overemphasizes this bitterness with far too little balancing sweetness. Not a horrible IPA, but not a good one.

2.68/5  rDev -18%

Not happy with this one. Like an IPA with a lot of vanilla poured in. Hazy yellow pour with a big white head. Hoppy and sweet aroma. Good hops up front, but then the wave of vanilla smacks you. The sweetness turns sickening after a while. Finish is metallic.

What happened to the old Redhook IPA that was actually good? I know this site says this is just a pseudonym for "Redhook IPA." I've had the "Redhook IPA" and this is not "Redhook IPA," sir.

3.9/5  rDev +19.3%

Given a six-pack from a friend. Decanted a 12 oz. bottle with an October 28, 2008 date on it into a pint glass. Pours a very clear golden color with a small white head. Nice retention, fair amount of lacing.

Aroma is a little one-note, but not bad. Strong citrusy, piny hop aromas. Tiny dash of rubber in there, too.

Flavor is more balanced. Starts with a good wallop of the hops. Again very piny. Really blooms in the middle of the mouth, then finishes with a fairly clean, bready aftertaste.

Good effervescence on the tongue. Mouthfeel is appropriate. Not too watery, but not too thick.

This IPA isn't particularly remarkable, but it certainly stands up as a strong session IPA. It could be a little more balanced, but it's easy to drink and still quite enjoyable.

2.63/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - A little lacing, head dissapated faster than i wanted to see in a ipa. golden slightly cloudy color.

S - You can smell the hops, but there isn't enough, and also a sweet smell i didn't care for.

T - Add a bunch more hops and this stuff would be great. The flavor is a little hard to explain. Hops are there but need to be stronger. Needs to be more bitter for me. The flavor would give a really good balance to a lot more hops. A spicy aftertaste is there too, but as with the rest of the taste, needs hops to balance.

M - Good mouthfeel, good carbonation and fullness. Not watery.

D - One or two of these and I want something else.

This is a beer that the brewmaster fogot ingredients too. Could be very good, but needs more HOPS. The flavor would be a great balance, just isn't getting that opportunity.

2.9/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a golden orange with a tall head of bleach white bubbles,nothing special. The nose is citrusy and floral,understated. Flavors are subtle grapefruit and a touch of pine,needs another heaping pile of hops thrown in to be something better than average,which it is, barely. Light bodied and fizzy,it really lacks that creamy feel that you get from a quality IPA. I'm probably being a little too critical, just an average beer.

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Had this beer for the 1st time tonight. Bought a sixer on sale. After the pour into a pint glass, produced a descent, orange amber color, nothing to write home about with a 1" rocky head that left heavy sheets of lacing as I drink. Smell was the best asset of this beer. Citrusy and hoppy. Very good smelling. Taste was very dissapointing. Wasn't quite what it smelled like. A little dull for an IPA. You can taste the pine, but the crispness wasn't there. Mouthfeel was right up there with taste. Well I guess it was down there. Just average. This is a pretty good session beer. It goes down pretty good.

3.23/5  rDev -1.2%

A= pretty average. Pale yellow color with a small head... however there was some pretty respectable lacing in my glass.
S= not much here but some spicy hops and a lemon or orange kinda thing going on...
T= average at best. Not very impressive expessially for an ipa. Not nearly as flavorful as I like. Tasted like a step up from a budweiser with a little tiny citrus hop note in it. Like I said average at best
M= pretty nice. Well carbonated medium body more like an ipa than the taste. The mouthfeel was definitally enjoyable
D= pretty respectable if you are working your way up to some more full flavored beers. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the flavor was so muted for an ipa...

2.83/5  rDev -13.5%

A - Very light and very carbonated. Not your typical IPA

S - Smelled like a citrusy pale ale

T - has a very light and refreshing taste. This is a very good Pale Ale not sure why they consider this an IPA. Tastes a lot like it smells.

M - very thin bodied and over-carbonated.

D - based on style I would say drinkability is very low. This tastes exactly like a couple of Pale Ales that I have had. If this were called an Extra Pale Ale this would get a much score.

Long Hammer is by no means a bad beer, in fact it is quite the opposite. The reason for the low score is in the fact that Red Hook decided to name it an IPA. Call it a Pale and it would get way higher reviews...

3.78/5  rDev +15.6%

a:brilliant clarity. golden and lighter than expected for an ipa. 1/2" head that had some staying power. decent lacing.

a:good ipa aroma that is all cascade. minimal malt aroma. no yeast aroma.

t:not much bitterness. some good flavor hopping that is smooth. no alcohol presence. mostly 2-row i guess, as i dont percieve much darker malt. i get some dms hints. clean fermentaion.

m:light to medium body. no noted hop residue. medium carbonation.

o:a good entry ipa. i know that redhook is trying to get cross-over customers so i cant fault them with the low bittering hops. i can see this kind of beer getting people hooked on hop aroma and flavor without the initial shock of the bitterness. i wouldnt buy this beer except, like today, when im eating and its the only non-macro on tap.

2.23/5  rDev -31.8%

I have really appreciated Redhook in my neck of the woods as Mississippi has really bad distribution. However, this beer is exceptionally tasteless at any temperature below 55 degrees. I usually like my IPA's around 45 - some may say this is too cold but that is how I like them. I tried this beer again at 50, at 55, and 60 degrees and there wasn't much there. It wasn't bad or turned it was just very 1 note and that note was played very softly.

Mine was poured into a Duvel glass. There was no head retention past the initial pour. The nose on this one is dead. I can detect some semblence of malt, but very little hop. The initial taste proves me correct - unfortunately. Wow how can they get by calling this an IPA - pale ale maybe but that would be a stretch without a bit more hop action.

Do yourself a favor get something else with your $7.50. I would even call the Budweiser American Ale better than this.

2.93/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours clear gold with a smallish head. Nice lacing though. Not much aroma- just some herbal hops. Taste is pretty average. A bit of malt sweetness and character. Not a lot of hop flavor complexity. Medium to perhaps a bit light bodied. Moderately carbonated. Pretty drinkable. Not bad overall just unexciting.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery