Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: pbrian on 03-29-2001

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,934 | Reviews: 1,146
2.4/5  rDev -26.6%

There is really nothing I like about this beer. It's not the worst in the world but i really wouldn't call it an ipa. Maybe more of an apa but even at that it's not worth getting. Any craft beer in the pale or amber category would be preferable over this. Appearance and smell is fine, just doesn't stand out in any other way.

2.97/5  rDev -9.2%

A: Poured with a spare, white head, and no lacing. Body is clear, flat, and a dark golden color. Some carbonation, but not much. Quite unimpressive.

S: Very weak for an IPA... I smell a little hops and maybe some orange as well, but it doesn't exactly jump out and grab you. Feeling a little bit wary, now...

T: Again, weak. Lightly sweet at first, and finishes lightly bitter with the hops. Where is the flavor, the punch? Disappointing.

M: Nothing special here, either. Body is light and thin-textured, with soft-to-average carbonation.

D: Sure, you can drink it... it goes down easy. But it doesn't have a whole lot in taste or anything else, either. As drinkable as water is not something I'm looking for in a beer, let alone an IPA. More of an IPA experience than, say, Alexander Keith's... but not much.

2.28/5  rDev -30.3%

The beer is is a pale goldish yellow in color and fairly clear. There is a good head and retention is good.Very faint malty aroma, a bit weak. There is so little hop aroma for an IPA, that this is barely a pale ale much less an India Pale Ale which should be much hoppier. The weak hop aroma is that of grapefruit and other citrus fruits. The malt is a bit sweet smelling.

Wow, just as weak as the aroma. I am very disappointed. There is a weak sweet malt flavor and a small citrusy and piney hop flavor. The malt is sweet and slightly bready but overall lacks any depth what so ever. There is some bitterness on the tail end that is weak, although it does have a resinous tinge to it. But at the hop levels this beer is right along with the malt profile this beer is barely at the level it should be.

A bit thin and watery for an IPA. There is a slight sourness to the beer that probably should not be there as well. Carbonation is OK.

This beer is not an IPA by any means, at least the bottle I got. Rogue bad bottle or old beer maybe, but I'm just reporting what was in my glass. It would be generous to even call this beer a pale ale. It is more along the lines of a blonde ale if anything. It is possible I had a bad bottle, but from what I have been hearing that is probably not the case. This beer needs more of everything. It needs more malt, a lot more malt, and tons more hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness to qualify for an IPA in my eyes. I am not impressed at all. Although the beer is drinkable and does not taste bad. It just lets you down if your a hop head seeking out a good IPA.

Appearance is light amber and generously carbonated. Lots of floral hops in the nose. Taste is clean and crisp with a pretty good dose of hops. Decent mouthfeel, without any alcohol burn. Very drinkable. I prefer DIPA, but this is my guilty pleasure, fairly mass-produced IPA. Especially yummy in the summer.

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Got this on draft at the Cloverleaf Tavern.

A: Pours a golden-amber, slightly murky body with a fairly think, white head with pretty nice retention and lacing.

S: A fairly hoppy smell with some sweet malt notes. Seemed nice for the style.

T: A fairly sweet, toffee malt taste with some cascade hop undertones that weren't very powerful. The bittering hop taste seemed to be overpowered by the sweeter malts.

M: The mouthfeel was medium bodied, but a little on the thin side. Overall, still pretty nice feel on the palette.

D: A decent mouthfeel and taste combo makes the beer easy to drink. I was hoping for a bit more hop presence to really balance out the sweeter malts. Still, pretty good beer overall.

2.78/5  rDev -15%

Bottling date of June June 10th 2009, Picked up the 12 pack of bottles for $9

Poured from the brown long kneck into a pub glass. The pour produces a 2'' billowing white head. The beer itself is a pale straw yellow with just a touch of haze, but its mostly transparent. Very light in color for an ipa, looks more like a pils.
Some sticky lace clings to the glass, but mostly falls away.

Aroma of fresh cut hay with grassy hops, some oxidization, a bit of pine, some mild bready malt. Its pretty disappointing for an ipa in the aroma category.

The taste on this has some decent hop bitters, but its no ipa. It pales in comparison to anything that represents an ipa. If I were an ipa and I drank this, I would be offended, I'd put out a hit on this ipa.
All I really get is a touch of sweet malts, yeasty bread, and mild grassy hops with just a bit of bitter pine.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery with mild carbonation.

Dissapointing for the style, but not bad I guess for a $9 12 pack.

3.21/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Pours a bit hazy. Golden in color with about a finger of fizzy white head. Good lacing and head retention.

S- Mild citrusy hops, although not the smack in the face that most IPA's have. Pretty one-dimensional.

T- Identical to the smell. Some light citrusy hops and that's pretty much it. Disappointing.

M- The body feels watered down, plenty of carbonation.

D- The good part of this beer is that it is drinkable. It's not overpowering and is a good beer to have if you feel like drinking a few.

1.98/5  rDev -39.4%

I tried this beer on vacation in NC and was pretty happy to find another IPA to try....

The color was probably one of the lighter IPA's i've seen with it being a golden pale

Pour was very clean and not much head on it...seemed very carbonated and with a soda pop-like bubble to it.

Smell was just okay. there was a hint of aroma but probably towards the bottom when compared to other IPAs

Taste followed the smell with there feeling like i wasn't getting the whole taste....like it was missing something...but there was a decent bitter to it.

Drinkability was light but not enjoyable. I found myself good and 2 bottles then decided to move on to something else.

In all, it was good to try once try but not exactly what I'd expect from an IPA.

3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Longhammer has an IPA bite that can best be appreciated by the beach.

I picked Longhammer up when I went to North Carolina this past summer. It had the extra hops bite that really refreshed me in the warm, salty air.

I haven't had it lately, but I remember it being a step up from most IPAs

3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Had on tap at The Wave in Waltham 6/14
This beer pours a clear straw yellow, a one finger white head to it. Not much head retention or lacing to speak of. Nose is rather muted, there are some mild citrus hops mixed with a touch of graininess in the nose. Taste was more than I expected. Citrus hops up front, mostly of grapfruit with some mild malts mixed in, a touch of breadiness mutes the hops. Lighter bodied, medium carbonation. This beer goes down very easily, not a great representation of it's style - definitely won't stand up for those looking for a hop burst, but a nice alternative to typical bar BMC offerings.

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Long Hammer is my secret pleasure. Another supermarket steal, particularly when it's on sale, as it was at Publix last week. Probably its only offense is that after the mild citrusy hop flavor there is pretty much... uh... mild citrusy hop flavor. That, and its mouthfeel could be a little less thin.

But one exception to the single mild citrusy note (and this is why I keep buying it) is some elusive and delicious characteristic unique to Red Hook beers -- maybe a slight malt flavor or even a water profile I'm catching (and I don't have a particularly refined palate, but I have always found Red Hook beers to have this characteristic and it's why I love them).

One way to characterize this beer is as a food-friendly IPA. For this alone I give it a very approving nod. My guess is when the big-hops fad has quelled a bit, this type of beer will stand out as an example (though not the exemplar) of a beer that pairs well with actual food people would eat at a meal. The usual line about a big IPA "going well with spicy food" is just plain dumb; a big IPA can really only stand alone -- pairing it with loud food only gives your mouth too much to deal with. But Long Hammer would even be great in a Welsh rarebit -- the cheddar would shine right through it.

3.02/5  rDev -7.6%

Long Hammer pours a crystal clear yellow/gold with a big off-white head. It is far to yellow for an IPA, in my opinion. The nose isn't bad and smells of piney and grassy hops. there is also a bit of soap in there.

The flavor is very simple; citrussy grapefruit hop flavors. Very mild flavors. There is possibly a bit of biscuity malt but not much. The bitterness is very mild. The mouthfeel is very thin with medium/low carbonation.

Overall, I was not at all impressed with this beer. It is very simple, well, boring.

3.19/5  rDev -2.4%

On tap into 16oz pint:

A: Hazy orange-yellow with a faint trace of head on top. Wouldn't have enough head to lace if it tried.

S: Hop aroma is the strongest note, and in IPA terms, it's barely there. Perhaps a sweet malt profile with subtle citrus, but I may be generous in suggesting so.

T: Similar to the smell: a weak hope dominates. Slightly bready.

M/D: Least aggressive IPA I've ever had. This being said, it makes for easy drinking, and not wholly unpleasant at it.
I had been pleasantly surprised to see any IPA on tap at a real craphole of a bar, so for these very specific circumstances, it sufficed.

2.08/5  rDev -36.4%

Served from a 12fl oz bottle into my FFF pint glass

Pours a very pale yellow with just a tad orange added into it, you can say a very light copper color. Two finger white head that fades quickly leaving lacing behind.

Does not have a very dominant hop smell, although I do get something funky going on. Smells like wet hay, horse blanket, grass, wheat, very musky smell going on.

Only a very slight hop bitterness upfront can be detected with a stale dry finish. Very watery.

Mouthfeel is thin and medium carbonated with a very watery taste.

Although it did not cost a lot, Im still upset I wasted money on this since its very watery. I would definitely skip on this one if I were you.

2.6/5  rDev -20.5%

I've had this in bottle as well as on tap in the RH brewpub in SEA. I'm always dissapointed when I see this included in the ranks of serious AIPAs.

Mom always said, if you have nothing to say...

It's a great version of an IPA to drink with filling foods/meals or perhaps when the humidity is unbearable.

Hop lovers steer clear.

2.26/5  rDev -30.9%

I'm at Safeway on a Friday night getting some groceries and I think to myself this place should have at least one good IPA or hoppy beer worth trying. I saw the regular Sierra ales and the popular IPA (in black letters) beer which were too familiar to try again to I ventured out and got this beer. It states that it has lots of hops.

It pours pretty light and the smell of hops it very light. I would tell you you have to be looking for it to recognize there it any hops at all. Disappointing.

This beer strikes me as a cross between bud light and a wonderful stale IPA. Not good.

What was in the brewers mind making this? If your going to emphasize hops, make it count. Don't muck around. I would bet dollars to donuts that the brewery grinded it's hops to an almost powder form to get the most out of the hops. Hops drive the price up in beer especially over the last year with the short fall of harvests. Why do I think this? When you pour this beer look at the beer carefully you'll notice all the particles suspended. That's not good. Looks like finely chopped hops to me.

When you see this beer, just say no. There are so many other beers out there that are so much more worthy.

Long Hammer missed it's mark.

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%

This may not be an exceptional beer, but it's such a good beer that I don't think it receives enough credit. It's not particularly hoppy, but is has a tingly bitterness and enough mouthfeel to be a reliable standby that compliments most food and makes a wonderful summer ale. It's a fine stepping-stone into the IPA world, better out of the tap but solid out of the bottle.

3.68/5  rDev +12.5%

I have had this brew quite a few times now, always after it was on sale at the liquor store ... deep down I like to think that this IPA would be dramatically tastier if it was in a keg and recently tapped or just fresher in general out of the bottle after having been sent right from the brewery; however, that said, I have yet to be let down by this always delicious beer. From what I can tell, it may true that this is a muted version of an IPA but it has been a proven performer well worth it's price in my book.

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

This is a fairly good, tasty beer, approachable yet characterful enough to b easy to drink if rather basic. It's quite sweet and hop character lacks complexity, but hop flavour definitely dominates.

Pale amber, slightly cloudy, it has a small off-white head slowly shrinking and leaving a little bit of lace.

The aroma is juicy with grapefruit, pine, caramelly toast, and white grape juice.

The taste is very light grapefruity-piney hops with faint peppery-leafiness along with almost syrupy raisiny grain and hint of crackers. It is mostly sweet with light spicey zestiness until the finish, when a light bitterness appears and lingers along with a faint taste of pine and a faint off-taste of old vegetables. It has rather a slick, oily feel.

It is nothing exciting or complex and it is really quite sweet, but it is overall a decent beer with some fairly good flavour and I enjoy it but it is hardly great beer.

3.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Presentation:
On tap at Eli's on the Hill (Branford, CT) poured into a frosted American pint glass.

Visual:
Dark golden-amber with a soft white head. Despite the fact that the glass was chilled (I wish it wasn't), the head remained for a while and was able to leave a little lace around the edge. The body seemed pretty clear, but I couldn't tell if the haziness was from the beer or the condensation on the glass.

Aroma:
Surprisingly hoppy. I've had this in the bottle before and it seriously let me down. But on tap, a wider range of herbs and flowers came to the nose. A sweeter floral bouquet was quite pleasant with faint notes of citrus.

Taste:
Again, much better on tap than in the bottle. Citrus, herbs (soft grass and pine), fruits (especially apricot), as well as hoppy oils are extremely present. A good balance between the malty profile and the softer hop astringency and bitterness. Very smooth and creamy texture, medium-bodied, and finishes with a hoppy resin bite at the end. It leaves a sweet cotton-candy-like aftertaste.

Overall:
Much more impressed now that I've had it on tap as opposed to in the bottle (which tasted like rubbish). The hops are much more pleasant and noticeable. It is, surprisingly, much sweeter and less bitter than the traditional IPA (which makes this more of a golden ale or APA than an IPA). However, I still enjoyed the broad bouquet that allows this to be both a pairing beer as well as a session beer.

Though most IPA's are best paired with greasy/spicy food (as the hops cut through the grease and flavor), I would say this would be better paired with less grease, and more with foods that focus more herbs and spices (such as blackened fish) or cream based items (soups, soft cheeses, etc). But, due to it's fruity profile, may even be paired well with fruit. Give it a try!

Cheers!

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

Picked this up at a local grocery store to try while grilling out. It poured a light amber, a lighter color than I have seen from most IPAs. I got a decent hop smell. It poured with a nice head and left solid lacing on the glass. My first taste I got a strong hop flavor but after that it seemed to fizzle out as I drank it. It seemed to get more watery. Not a bad beer and it was a good choice to have with food, but it almost seems like a lighter version of an IPA.

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

I will start out by saying that This Beer Is Underrated.

Sure, the head isn't fantastic and the smell won't blow your socks off, but the taste is there, mouthfeel is good and drinkability is a quaffer. When I drink this brew, it just reminds me of a slightly stronger aroma hopped version of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale... which certainly isn't a bad thing. I think the only thing that's holding this beer's ratings back (aside from beer snobbery) is that it represents itself as an IPA instead of an APA. Put this in the APA catagory and there won't be many that outrank it.

2.4/5  rDev -26.6%

Wow, bought this on a "blind" buy never had it and didnt look it up for reviews. Its just not a real strong IPA. barely hoppy enough to be a IPA.

Appearance: the color was on/right

Smell: the smell was slightly reminiscent of a IPA but not real strong almost as if you were smelling a Light IPA :).

Taste: was bland as well, no real hop character that seems to normally be the "backbone" of a IPA. Not the worst thing ever but not a very good IPA.

Mouthfeel:Wattery just not a lot there.

Drinkability: Its drinakble but this one wont make the list of my go to IPA's. maybe I was just a bit spoiled by IPA's like Stone,Southern Tier Brewery, and things like Hop Devil from Victory,Smuttynose,Rogue,etc...I guess thats just what I expect to be comparing other IPA's to. This was just not anywhere near that league..

2.97/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Nice Reddish orange transparent body, though it looks a bit too light for an IPA. Head was not at all impressive, subpar for the style. Lacing was half-way decent, but nothing great.

S - Mild floral hop aromas, characteristic but not very strong. You can definitely tell it's an IPA from the nose.

T - Very ordinary and nothing special, underwhelming. Definitely on the sweet side of IPAs but still left a bitter lasting aftertaste.

M - The biggest disappointment of this beer - very watery thin mouthfeel that makes it seem like a macrobrew with the IPA flavor added in. At least the bitter hop aftertaste lasts on the palate like it should.

D - High, only because it's really thin body and light IPA flavor. Way overpriced at $5 a draft at the Elbo Room (Albany, NY) by the way.

3.13/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours yellow gold with light carbonation and a frothy two-finger head. Little retention. Decent lacing.

Nose is mainly citrus with a faint spiciness present. Lemon zest with a touch of cinnamon.

Hits flowery and very thin, almost watery in the mouth. Slight bitters and certainly below average IPA finish - more of a decent pale ale taste to this one.

I'd drink it again, but it would have to be on special and the only IPA available.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery