Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +23.9%

beer pours a very nice golden color with a white head. lacing is in rings as the beer is consumed.

aroma is very nice, pine and citrus hops in the forefront and a nice bready malt component also.

taste matches the aroma, a pretty good if not understated IPA, definitely not a hop monster like many of the more highly rated and popular IPAs on this site.

mouthfeel is perhaps a bit thin for the style but not bad.

overall, a very drinkable beer, not the best ever but I think better than the reputation it gets here.

evanackerman, Aug 30, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -3.7%

A reddish-orange pour is topped with an off-white head. Retention is adequate. The usual citrus and hop aromas are present, as well as some orange peel and a slightly earthy acidicy. Tastes spicy, malty and lemony with a decent mix of orange and hops throughout. Mouth-feel is medium bodied and it goes down pretty smooth. A tasty yet not overpowering IPA.

stephens101, Aug 29, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased 12 pack. This is quite good. I was pleasantly surprised. It's got a nice crisp hoppy bite to it but not overpowering so perhaps it could use a touch more flavor. Very smooth. A nice entry level IPA. The gentle sweet bitter hoppiness makes it extremely easy to drink. A good summer selection.

changeup45, Aug 23, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Bought at Total Wines & More in Claymont, DE as part of a make-your-own 6-pack. I'm new so I haven't heard of the brewery so I gave it a try.

A: Used to IPAs that are darker and redder in color, so I was surprised at how orange and golden it was. Also, the head was thin with very little sustain, which as also a disappointment

S: There were a good bit of citrusy hoppiness, though not what I expect from an IPA

T: The was the a little bite from the hops, but not the bitterness or penetrance of an IPA. The malt, bitter, and acid are well balanced because all of these aspects are equally weak. The balance is nice, but not the punch of a real IPA

M: The beer was a little thinner than I would've liked but it had a decent palate, pleasant carbonation, and smoothness

D: The thinness of this beer betrays the higher than average ABV so it's easy not to think about this when glugging this beer. But this softness on the palate also makes for a very drinkable beer that isn't overpowering and tiring

Soonami, Aug 20, 2008

This turned out to be a very average/boring beer. I got exactly what I was anticipating. Sometimes that is good, other times, not so much. My $8.00 would have been better suited to a more distinctive beer, like a 12/pk of Miller High Life Light.
Like other Redhook offerings, this beer is average in all regards. I don't need to describe it in detail. It is the Chevrolet of IPA's. Cheers!

flaminghomer, Aug 19, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +8%

Ok, It's really not in the IPA ballpark for us serious beer geek's, I understand that however I will have to say that this really isn't that bad, especially since it's between $4.99 and up to $5.99 at the most in Chicago. Plus you need to get it fresh, meaning within 90 day's ( I prefer 60 ) but 90 will suffice, anything more than that seem's to have a negative factor to the quality of this beer, that said here we go ....

Appearance - nothing to write home about.

Smell - Some pale malts and alcohol accented nicely with a wall of Cascades hop aroma. Again, it will not bowl you over with it's aroma.

The taste is actually pretty darn good depending on the batch, and the batches do vary, believe me I know, as I often throw this into my rotation of brew's since Three Floyd's raised there 6 pack's to $ 10.99 plus tax here in Chicago, as the Alpha King was my everyday go to beer for quite some time. It start's out with a Bubblegum like Cascade and pale malt flavor that is slightly sour midway through the sip, and finishes with an almost tea / lemon flavor that actually work's pretty well. Imagine chewing on a piece of Bazooka Joe bubblegum and following it up with a bite of Lemon Maranque pie. I kinda like it.

It's no Alpha King or Stone, but a drinkable and reasonably priced IPA that is really pretty darn good. At 6.5 % a 6 pk will do, trust me. Overall I think it's really not that bad of a beer. Give it a go when you need to save some cash but still want that IPA flavor, somewhat muted however it's still not that bad.

hopman333, Aug 17, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

A - Pours 1 ½ fingers of white head that has nice retention and leaves some very good lacing as it settles down. The beer is light amber in color.

S - Pretty strong flowery hops is about all I can make out.

M - Light-medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation.

T - Strong flowery hops with a sweeter malt finish. Has a pretty good balance, although the bitterness overtakes the malt for the most part. It's rather uninspiring though.

Not a bad brew, just slightly better than your average beer and slightly worse than your average IPA.

boralyl, Aug 16, 2008

Poured a clear, light amber. Somewhat thin head that quickly fell to a thin ring with faint whispy islands.
Grassy, piney hops. Only hints of grapefruit. Sweet malts, white grapes/golden raisins, very light brown sugar.
Tastes pretty similar to the aromas, but the hops seem to fade pretty quickly.
Somewhat thin mouthfeel. Gets a little watery near the back of the tongue.
Somewhat high ABV keeps this from being a session beer. OK flavors, they won't offend anyone.
This may be a good gateway beer for someone who only drinks light beer (i.e. Bud Light), but I'm not sure this would really appeal to the craft beer drinker. Not a drain pour, but won't be seeking this out again. Glad I only bought one bottle of this.

gabeerfan, Aug 16, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Not an IPA ... so the name is a major turnoff. Otherwise, it is an easy drinker with good flavor. I get more sweet pale malts than hops. Which is fine, just don't call it an IPA. It has the balance of an English IPA, but lacks any grassy hop character to actually be considered an English IPA.

An enjoyable brew, and probably my favorite from Red Hook. But the marketing/branding is a slap in the face to beer drinkers.

TrevorGW, Aug 13, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Light amber color with a thick off-white head that sticks nicely to the sides of a snifter glass.

Not too much going on in the nose. Basic grassy hops with some muted malts in the background. Hints of honey and green grapes.

Hay flavors dominate the palate mixed with some some bubble gum, more honey and hibiscus flowers. Im also getting an odd bit of a wheat/rye profile as well. Hops are not as prevelent as they should be in an IPA. Vanishing finish lends this one more towards session status.

APA maybe, IPA...I think not. An ok beer, just not a good example of the style. This one did sit in my beer fridge for 2 months, I remember it being a tad tastier fresh.

twiggamortis420, Aug 13, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

This a beer I tried as a jesture to a friend whom I am trying to get into drinking different beers. I could not tell him no, since he said he "kinda liked it". I have to admit that the drinkability, which if that was the only thing you went by, is very high, but then again, I am really easy to please.

The appearance, taste, and mouthfeel were all average. Nothing worth wasting space expounding upon.

The smell was nice and aromatic, but I love hop aroma...

As I said, high on the drinkability scale for me. If you like IPAs this is a good one. If you consider yourself an officianado of IPAs, then you can find many faults, but I say just drink and enjoy.

btw, it is hard not to like beer in the middle of an oppressive gulf-coast Louisiana summer.

scurvy311, Aug 12, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

On tap received a pint with a moderate head on top of a deep gold/mild amber brew

Got a whiff of hop, some grain.

Eh. Hops are there. Some malt, not much else going on.

Mildly fizzy, with no distinctive features.

I guess these can go down ok, if you are thirsty. Not worth trying again. Fair at best.

OtherShoe2, Aug 10, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy gold with particles, head's on the thin side.

Smell: Moderate citrus aroma.

Taste: Very balanced between sweetness and citrus bitterness.

Drinkability: I've seen this at various bars, you can have a couple due to non-overpowering flavors.

A pretty average IPA, not too hoppy or too malty. Seems like it could be a stepping stone beer for the step from pale ales to higher hop levels.

Mdog, Aug 10, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

This was a great beer for the bargain. My friend lbkornlb14 and I went into our local watering hole to get a snootfull. We are big hopheads and saw long hammer IPA. The kicker was it wasnt popular so the bartender set the price at $1 a PINT. My friend and I went bananas. The color was golden. The aroma was full of nice rich hop smell. The flavor was chock full of bittering hops on the front, smooth on the finish. The mouth feel was great. I dont remember how many we put down that night, but I am glad we went that night.

NoahSYGG, Aug 04, 2008

On tap at Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs game in Pennsylvania. Never had a Redhook beer and I was impressed. It wasn't the best IPA that I've tasted but it was pretty good, maybe it was the total surprise of having the option of having a microbrew at a ballgame.

Hard to review the pour as it was served in a plastic cup but the color was a golden brown and the head disappeared very quickly.

Could smell the hops and a hint of lemon (?) the taste was very filling - great feel as it went down.

I would love to find this beer in a bottle to taste it again. I think the ballpark atmosphere kind of threw me off as I wasn't prepared to make notes of a tasting.

rkcrozier, Aug 04, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Well, I wasn't sure where to review this beer. There were two listings. One for the Woodinville, WA brewing location and one for the Portsmouth, NH location. My bottle had Portsmouth, NH on the bottle lable, so, I decided to review it here. Surprising that there are only 81 reveiwers here yet 480+ reviewers for the Washington location.... oh well, here goes:

Pourred into a pintglass to produce a 1" head of pure white foam. The head had minimal retention and left a bit of spotty lace on the glass as it dwindled down to a thick cap. The beer is lighter than most IPA's I've had.... more of a golden yellow.

Smell: Good nose... somewhat piney and a bit of toasted malt.

Taste: A little disappointing.... not enough of a hops bite to be considered an IPA but it shows up in the finish. In the middle there is more of a light malt ... then at the end the hops makes it's presence known... not overpowering at all.

MF: A little too thin for my taste... not very robust as I prefer in my favorite IPA's.

Drinkability: Good safe beer.... nothing extreme for the hop heads. At $7.99 a sixer it's average in every respect.

TheBierBand, Aug 03, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours nice, light, yellow/orange.

Aroma on this beer is excellent, very fresh hops, bordering on astringent aroma, reminds me of opening an oz of hops before throwing it in the homebrew kettle. GREAT Aroma.

Taste is good, light bitterness, grapefruit-citrus, transitioning into a nice, sweet floral bouquet... light malt flavors, very light... in fact, that is the only area in whichthe beer is lacking. The hop aspect is perfectly executed... bitter, floral, but not overwhelming... the malt, well, just isnt very complex. However, still and excellent beer.

Clean finish, nice hops, would buy again.

PBBC, Jul 30, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the only decent and microbrewed beer on tap at the local bar I go to every so often to kill some time with my buddies, watch sports, hit on women, and play "Big Buck Hunter." And Long Hammer is a perfect brew for those occasions.

This is a solid enough IPA. Goes down easy. Alcoholy, but not as complex as your typical IPA. I guess you could call this a "beginner's" IPA. Especially since my macro-swilling friends can handle it too. But there's nothing wrong with that. When I'm drinking it on draft, paying more attention to friends, women, sports on TV, and bar games than unequivocally savoring the beer in hand, it is perfect for what it is. A tasty enough, highly drinkable beer. This is the kind of brew you want to get effed up on during long drinking sessions.

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com

TheViceBlog, Jul 25, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Last time I tried this beer was in 2004 and I was not impressed with the hop levels but I had it again recently on tap and lo and behold the hops were there and I enjoyed the pint. Did the recipe change or is the draft that much better? I will order this again as it is a well made hoppy IPA that is easy to find and well priced.

canucklehead, Jul 22, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a nice pretty golden color but much like any other regular beer. The head was nice anf fluffy and held on pretty well. The lacing was good and held up pretty well also. The taste was a little harsh a little pineapply. I just did not like the taste and will not buy again as this is like the third try.

Minkybut, Jul 21, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance: Amber to yellow; slightly hazed. One inch coarse white head. Lacing was pronounced but very light.

Smell: Clear fresh floral hop aroma. Bready yeast and hint of citrus.

Taste: Slightly sweet caramel maltiness up front and again some bread/grain underneath.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thin side for this style I thought. Carbonation was nicely balanced.

Drinkability: Not one of the best, but definitely drinkable. Could it be more of an APA instead of an IPA?

Haybeerman, Jul 16, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours slightly hazy straw color with contrasting white head.

Nose is citrus, focused toward lemon.

Palate is rather timid in terms of hop presence, very citrus-acidic but not the same amount of accompanying citrus flavor with the acidity. Some grapefruit. Has a macro-lager like characteristic that is unwelcome.

Light bodied. Watery.

yemenmocha, Jul 12, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +8.6%

I bought a six pack of this at Rittenhouse Deli in Ardmore, Pa and poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body was a opaque light amber topped off with a tan medium sized head with better than poor retention but leaving lots of lace.
Smell: Lack of depth with only citrus hops present.
Taste: More balanced with cinnamon (? I think) but having a great malt backbone yet retaining the citrus hops.
Mouthfeel: Rigid.
Drinkability: The spices area bit odd, but once gotten use to, very nice.
Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Jul 11, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Picked up a 6 pack of 12 oz bottles from Lucky Grocery Store in San Jose, CA for about $6-7. Poured into a pint glass. This is the last beer I'm having from the 6 pack and the one that I am reviewing. I must note that I have not been particularly impressed with the first 5.

Looks like a classic IPA. Light golden transparent color with a nice almost 2 inch frothy white head that retains pretty well. Thick lacing.

Grapefruit, piney, citrusy hoppy nose.

Taste is smooth, and lighter for an IPA. Still all the normal characteristics (citrus, hoppy taste), but just in lighter fashion. This would be a good beer for those getting into IPAs that think some of the bigger IPAs have too much of a bittery bite and strong aftertaste.

Smooth, somewhat creamy. Nice carbonation, light to medium body. Easy one to drink. Would be a nice session beer on a sunny afternoon.

ibbjamin, Jul 10, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

Thanks to Mully for tossing this in as 1 of 8(Eight) extras.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a pint.

A: Pours a very light amber with some yellowish tinting. Maybe a finger worth of off white head forms and dies fast. Some decent lacing to start before falling off.

S: Definitely has some american hopping going on, citrus, a bit of pine and resin. However, it has a surprisingly strong malt base, bready, doughy, malts, chewy. It's not unpleasant, really... just not what I want in my single IPA. A quick touch of alcohol in the back.

T/M: Decent bitterness level but it has some detectable metallic taste right up front with the hops and bitterness. Sweet bready malts do a bit more than balance, again a bit disappointing. Body is medium with thick, nearly chewy malts. Some lasting bitterness fights its way through to a lightly drying finish.

D: Being a bit heavy will hurt the drinkability some, as well as (IMO) being at least a little bit outside of the style. 6.5% is decently well hidden.

pwoods, Jul 07, 2008