Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
United States

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

(Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
2.78/5  rDev -15%

I have fond memories of drinking this stuff at the Ballard brewery when visiting an old childhood friend. It is therefore disappointing to report that this beer is so undistinguished when poured out of the bottle in you own home. Not much head, and repeated attempts at discerning an aroma didn't get very far. It is certainly an easy-to-quaff IPA with a low alcohol content and minimal bitterness.

I guess I'd prefer to drink a good pale ale over this faint-hearted IPA.

nohead02, Jan 26, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

12 oz. bottle purchased for $5.99 per sixer at Supermarket

A: Probably the only good quality of this beer...filtered clarity. I think they took some flavor away with the filters. Head was thin and disappeared quickly.

S: Faint cirtus aroma...enough not to scare away the bud light drinkers.

T: Very little going on here. A hint of crystal malt flavor balanced with a sprinkle of cascade hops. More of a hop tea than a beer. 6.5% alcohol? Where? I don't get any alcohol warming.

M: Thin and watery...some IPA's should be if only base malt is used, but this beer obvioulsy has some dextrin malts added to the grist. Mouthfeel suffers from undercarbonation as well.

D: Well, if you like hoppy American Light Lagers, this beer is for you.

O: This is NOT an IPA. This is a poor interpretation of an American Pale Ale. Thanks BudHook for further confusing the beer drinking public. Now those beer neophytes will think this is what real beer tastes like.

crawfow, Jan 22, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

hazy golden with very little head but good lacing.

appetizing citrus/lemon zest aroma.

taste is refreshing and lighter than the more extreme side of the ipa scale. very balanced between hop bitterness and flavor. fairly long finish.

nothing too wild compared to the other ipas around.

joecast, Jan 10, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours clear and golden with a decent head and retention. Huge fresh hop essences in the nose - piney, resinous, and slightly grassy - nice. Hop flavor and prominent bitterness carry over to the palate. Balance definitely accented towards hops. Malt is somewhat low and the finish is dry. Overall not a bad IPA, very drinkable.

As an aside, I often buy Redhook products when I need bottles for my homebrew, as the simple single label on the unembossed bottles will virtually float off with immersion in warm water.

marksto, Dec 31, 2005
2.1/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

~Pours a clearish golden amber, agressive head shrunk pretty quick, but lacing is pretty decent.
~Aroma is hoppy and piney. More piney.
~WTF. IPA? More like an amber or something. Hops are piney, but not in that nice lovely way. More like in the Pine-sol cleaner type way. in fact, thats pretty much what it tastes like. Right away isn't so bad, but it makes me cringe as it develops. 'develops.' I don't waste beer, but this one might accidentally get poured down my drain.
~Mouthfeel isn't so bad, a little oily and pretty agressive carbonation.
~No. Do not drink this beer. I usually don't slam beers,but unless you mean to punish yourself....

objectivemonkey, Dec 21, 2005

Pours a bright golden hue topped by a wispy, creamy white head. Aroma is mainly that of lightly sweet malt, a touch of honey, and a very light hint of hops. Palate balances light sweet malt and mild fruity hops, with a vague sour character on the finish. Medium body is adequate and holds the flavor well. I'll just put it out there: there is nothing special about this beer.

ElGordo, Dec 13, 2005
3.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A very light,too light for my taste,gold color with a very,very,small head.The is very hoppy.The taste,like the smell,is very hoppy and ends with a bitter taste that's almost bitter.The m/f is light and a little watery.Not a bad brew,but there's room for improvement.

jmz62565, Dec 12, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured a hazy gold with a small head. The head covered the top of the glass all the way down and left some nice lacing. Some hops smell, The taste was good, but not great. Some bitterness, but not the hop flavor I have come to expect with Harpoon or Hop Hog. The beer had a nice feel to it , not too watery and no unpleasant aftertaste. I guess you could call it balanced, but I was expecting more hops flavor. Drinkability was good, if this was the available beer, I would have no problem with having several more. Given the choice, there are a few APA's and IPA's I would choose over this one.

JayQue, Nov 27, 2005
3.38/5  rDev +3.4%

This is a golden colored IPA with a small white head that leaves a good amount of lace.
The aroma is a faint amount of pine.
The flavor is also mildly piney, with a slight grapefruit twinge. There is also a slight toasty malt presence near the finish, followed by the bitter hop aftertaste.
Mouth feel is light bodied and generously carbonated.
This is not a stand out IPA, but a good one that goes down way too easy.

Naes, Nov 20, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -18%

Purchased from Target in Jones Valley, Huntsville, AL.

I thought I already reviewed this, but it turns out I drank my entire six-pack before I got the chance. So I bought a single today especially to review.

For an IPA, a disappointing pour. The color is okay, very light and clear reddish-orange-yellow tinge, but with virtually no head, and what head is there goes away almost immediately. If I was reviewing this as a Pale Ale, I'd be rating it higher.

Smell is almost entirely of hops here. No real malt backbone, and very little fruit. Suppose that's as it should be for an IPA, but I'm a bit disappointed that the aroma is *all* hops.

Taste is a bit more balanced. Hop profile up front, with a bit of a grapefruit flavor following shortly therafter, and a bitter finish. I can handle hops just fine, but here they seem "flabby", almost as if they're tired and just plain old. Compared to the crisp hoppiness of a Sweetwater IPA or an Arrogant Bastard, this isn't anything to be impressed over. Still, it's decent enough.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, with quite a bit of carbonation.

There are *much* better IPAs out there. This is almost all hops, and they're not even good hops. As a standby when you need a dose of bitter, I suppose it's decent enough, but beer geeks can almost always do better.

danielharper, Nov 20, 2005
3.6/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At first, a rich, frothy head with good retention, though it eventually reduces to a sticky, off-white lace. This amber brew pours with a slightly oily texture. Hops dominate the nose. Pine and citrus hop flavor comes through pretty strong with just a touch of malt grain and caramel too. And I think there is just a touch of roastiness as well. Hop bitternes in the finish (which is just a tad weak, even though it leaves decent bitterness behind). The somewhat oily mouthfeel is slightly thicker than medium-bodied with tangy, active carbonation.

Not bad: a brew with a nice hop bite that is quite drinakble. A rich mouthfeel and good aroma, though the finish could be a bit better. Recommended.

arguemaniac, Nov 17, 2005
3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

According to the bottle: Bottled 20 Jun 05, 6.5%ABV. Pours a nice clear golden color, small head dissapates quickly, some carbonation, some light lacing afterwards. Scents of hops, citrusy. The taste is not bad, hoppy with a little bite at the end, not as good as others for sure, but not bad. Medium body. This is drinkable, but there are other IPAs way better, but maybe for an intro into the style it would be good.

Wasatch, Nov 17, 2005
2.2/5  rDev -32.7%

Got a six pack of this junk on the way home from work. It says IPA-I like IPAs-but this shit isn't IPA. It just isn't. Try it and you'll see.

Appearance-like I said...says IPA, but isn't. I suppose the color could be that of an IPA, the typical darkish red-golden-brown, but beyond the label and color there is not any IPA here.

Smell-not any strong hoppiness like there should be. This is not IPA.

Taste-I don't know what this shit tastes like. Not IPA. It says it's bitter and on the label and as least that is the truth. I don't know how to describe this except as sort of skunky. But it wasn't skunked.

M-Nothing special. Kind of metallic and bitter I guess. Pretty carbonated too...

Drinkability-Considering how bitter this crap is it went down suprisingly easy. However, at the time at had this, I had just gotten done with a nice long bike ride and was shooting the shit with my riding buddy, so anything would have tasted good if it was beer. So, not so bad, but this is not that good. Don't get it if you think it is IPA. Redhook is full of crap on this one.

johnshuster, Nov 07, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

My friend gave this to me after thinking he ordered a Red Oak amber ale, so I already give it high marks for its value. This one was unfortunately the best choice on draft last night but after the second one, I was tired of it (hence the lower score for drinkability). Too light in color for the style, average and not overwhleming hoppiness, a bit on the heavy side. Only $2.75 a pint once I had to pay for one.

Backer2004, Nov 06, 2005
2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

Pale golden/amber witha good creamy two-finger head and lots of active rising bubbles, laces decent. This is the best part of the beer, it looks like a Two-Hearted! Just a small hop smell. Weak watery malt under a not so great hop profile. If this had a decent amount of malt, it wouldn't be hopppy enough for an IPA. The only reason it is is because of the hop/malt ratio. Light, lackluster body. Quaffable, but definitely sub-par.

sopor, Nov 05, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +8%

Pours a pure golden hue, with excellent clarity. Foamy two finger head with good retention and plenty of sticky lacing. Herbal hop aroma is strong and hides a sweet adjunct malt scent. Massive hop leaf flavor that balances an estery sweet malt base and leaves a bitter and dry aftertaste. The even carbonation prevents the coarse alpha acid bite from becoming cloying, but the body is somewhat thin and the alcohol is percieved. A well presented IPA, just a little harsh towards the end.

PBRstreetgang, Oct 31, 2005

This is from a sampler case I bought at The Beer Mart in Reading, Pa. I drank it in a pilsner glass. Expiry date clearly marked on the case, and born on date clearly marked on the label. YAY!

Pours a clear gold with a two finger head of off-white foam. Head drops to a good coating and a ring, with very good lacing.

Aroma is strong grassy/piney hops, light toffee and bready pale malts, and clean fruitiness.

First flavor is a really nice grassy/piney hoppiness, followed by bready sweet malts, fruity, with a pretty strong hop bitterness. Aftertaste is semi-sweet and very hoppy. Delicious!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with soft to medium carbonation. Finish is lip-smacking sweet with a good grab at the back of the throat from bitterness.

I really like IPA's like this. Gold, grassy, bitter, nice head...It's an all day beer. Great burps!

jakester, Oct 30, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +20.2%

the aromas from this beer are very nice. it has subtle scents that are fruity while the hops are very present. while pouring it gave average sized head that left a silky layer on the glass edge. they dont call this beer that ballard bitter for nothing, either. it is definitely a bittery taste but not in a bad way at all. very strong hop flavor that goes well with what seemed to be a sweeter malt taste. i enjoyed this beer very much and would certainly get it again.

ccm414, Oct 25, 2005
3.73/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Second pick from my Redhook sampler...This is my introduction to this style..My first IPA poured a rich amber and sported a nice white hat of foam..That didn't last long although the ring that stuck around laced my glass nicely. I thought the smell was hoppy and lemony and I got the same impression from the taste..Slighty malty but with a bitter and dry lemon/hop finish. Mouthfeel was fairly light but..BELCH!!...coated my tongue for a while after. Carbonation was apparent at the pour but diminished after that.

Interesting beer.

BrewMaven, Oct 14, 2005
2.55/5  rDev -22%

A few months back I tried the Redhook Amber and I was disappointed. By contrast, this beer has promise. Pours a bit cloudy and the one I just sampled does look like an IPA; however, I do agree with previous reviewers. The sweet smell smell and lack of hops make me wonder, “where’s the IPA.” Not something I’d come back to but better than Redhook’s Amber.

wcdoyle, Sep 27, 2005
3.23/5  rDev -1.2%

When I first started drinking micros this was one of the first I picked up. I would get upset reading the reviews, thinking that it wasn't that bad...

My friend had a party this weekend and he bought this instead of the Bridgeport IPA I had advised. I'm sorry he did. I couldn't believe how much my tastes had changed. This is not a stellar example of an IPA and I will most likely not be drinking it again any time soon.

ChrisA, Sep 21, 2005
3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

If I had this in a blind tasting without knowing anything about it, I would say this is a pretty decent beer. After finding out it's labeled an IPA, I would start to wonder why. It's several shades lighter than most IPAs, and appears thinner as well. Nothing wrong with how it tastes, although it is very simple. So simple in fact, I'm bored trying to think of words to describe it. I would say it's an average, very drinkable pale ale; a good stepping-stone into the world of great IPAs like Bridgeport and Stone.

Gruntlumber, Sep 20, 2005
3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

Had a few pints of this over at the Barking Dog in Bethesda. It's a mild IPA with an orange hue (almost like orange soda watered down with sprite). It gives off a pleasent smell with hops and a bit of malt. I detect a bit of sugar as well as some fruit undertones. The taste is good, dry and crisp just as the style dictates. After a sip, my mouth is left wanting more and that's always a good thing. It quenches my thirst and goes well with light fare. A few of these are easy to handle. Overall, a good beer for it's style and readily available in the DC area.

jaluria, Sep 15, 2005
3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

A lot of people seem to be going needlessly hard on this beer. That isn't to say that what we have here is a great beer, it's not, but it's much more drinkable than many of the reviews here would make it out to be.

Unremarkable appearance, though quite a few shades lighter yellow than I was expecting from an IPA (other reviews claim it isn't even remotely an IPA, with good reason). Smell is mostly of sugar. Bit of a dissapointment there, but at least it doesn't reek, so we'll call that part average.

Taste is a bit unique, which nets it at least a few points. Definately has a few hops in it, but with a bit of sweetness that takes away from the enjoyment. Also suffers from a somewhat odd mouthfeel, finishing with a dryness that offsets oddly the sweetness that it starts off with.

Still, worse beers out there, though with as much as I paid for this at the supermarket, you could probably do better if you looked around. In a pinch though, this might do.

SetarconeX, Sep 13, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a light golden color with just a very slightest hint of copper. Small head that disappears quickly leaving a thin ring floating on top

Aroma is all spicy hops with hints of pine and a little citrus, but could use more hop aroma.

Hops dominate the flavor profile though for an IPA it could use considerable more hop flavor. Nice amount of malt sweetness to counter balance the hop bitterness. But again an IPA should have more hop flavor and bitterness.

Overall an ok beer, not so good as an IPA. Flavors are well balanced and there is some decent quality product used to make this beer, but I am disappointed in the amount of hop flavor and bitterness. They could push it further.

petercmartin1, Sep 07, 2005