Redhook Long Hammer IPA - Redhook Ale Brewery

poor

Redhook Ale Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: Musky on 01-10-2007

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redhook Long Hammer IPA Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +18.7%

A: Bright golden yellow in color. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass producing relatively small white head that slowly dissipated into a single white ring around the glass. Light lacing.

S: Pleasant light floral hop aroma. Nothing extravagant but nice.

T: Solid flavors. Nicely malted with lighter pale malts; hops overtake the malt but doesn't leave you with the bitterness of some IPAs. Light hop linger.

M&D: Lighter mouthfeel but still satisfying. Moderate carbonation is a good match and lets the brew go down smoothly.

If you are a major hop head you are probably not going to be real pleased with this one. Although I like hoppy ales, I really liked this too. Long Hammer seems to have a bit more balance and isn't necessarily all about the hops. It's refreshing and smooth and still highlights the hops without over doing it. Nice job.

3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer pours a clear golden-bronze color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes into nice lacing. The aroma is of citrus and pine. The taste is of citrus with a hint of pine. It is a nice flavor, but it is fairly mild. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a decent IPA. I could drink it again, but would like it more if the flavor were stronger, and the bitterness were higher.

2.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Served at a local pub in a frosty pint glass. Uh oh, I can see my bartender doesn't know how to pour a beer, she wastes a quarter glass of beer down the drain trying to eliminate a nice 1 inch head. I can appreciate her trying to get me more beer but the head has a lot of the scents in it. The beer thats pushed in front of me is light, almost blonde IPA with some amber traces. The little head thats left is fluffy and tan that has some nice lacing as I drink.

I am surprised by the smell of this beer. There is a nice fresh hop scent that eclipses a subtle malt smell. Its not the best smelling IPA but it has promise.

Taste is... not here? Where is that glorious hop taste that should be with the scent? The little that I do taste is weak. Maybe the carbonation has stripped the hoppy goodness from the beer. There is some malts but this beer on tap is a small step above a coors light.

Looking for the bright side of things I start to blame the bar for this average beer. Maybe they have the carbonation to high, maybe the lines are dirty, etc. I will have to find this in bottles and give the brewer another shot.

3.57/5  rDev +9.2%

On tap at the Outriger Canoe Club, Honolulu, Hawaii after a long morning of surfing. Nice and refreshing. Pours a deep clear gold with a white head with very good lacing. Flavor is a nice refreshing bitter IPA style bite you would expect. I would buy another.

2.86/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a clean golden yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, small citrus, big piney hops. In the taste, small citrus hops, and a bit watery. A mellow bitterness and a lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry and hoppy aftertaste. A quite mellow IPA, great nose, yet light in the taste. Simple and OK.

3.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Got this one without a lot of options at a local non-craft brew bar in DC. Poured your standard looking copper color, some bubbles, but fairly weak head. Nose is hops, some light fruitiness. Taste is likewise, although a little bit maltier than I expected. It's actually not nearly as bad as I guessed. Feel is pretty weak, though. Too carbonated, kind of just "fizzy," rather than full. Overall, a very mediocre IPA, although not nearly as bad as I guessed. I only had one though.

2.26/5  rDev -30.9%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass right out of the fridge.

A - Pours a semi-hazy copper with a 1-inch white head; decent retention and lacing.

S - Yeasty/bready malt with a hint of hops.

T - Malt flavors carry the overall taste with little hops to speak of; a metallic aftertaste after the dry, bready finish.

M - Light body with fading carbonation.

D - Not an enjoyable selection; this isn't the first I've tried, so I don't believe freshness is in question.

bought this beer at the local grocer. 6 pack of 12 oz. bottles. brew date 11-27-07. poured into a tulip pint glass. golden yellow color. slightly hazy. thin white head that thins out to a fine layer pretty quick. looks ok.

fruity hop aroma. has some malt sweetness in there. no off odors. not in your face hoppy.

decent hop presence. taste herbal and earthy hops. some malt sweetness with caramel. flowery aftertaste. not super in your face hoppy.

not a great deal of carbonation. medium bodied. no lace. ok ipa. left me wanting more hops. possible session beer. there are other ipas out there i would turn to before purchasing this beer again. follow pretty close to style.

1.41/5  rDev -56.9%

A - pours a slightly hazed, relatively clear golden yellow. Minimal bleach white head.

S - extremely mild fruity smell, maybe a tad piney. minimal hops, not nearly as pungent as I'd hoped/expected, to be honest it smells kind of funky, like the sludge at bottom of my fermentation bucket.

T - unpleasant, asprin-like/metallic bitterness that truly doesn't taste much like any IPA I've ever had. A little citrus acidity. A faint malt body makes this beer tolerable at least. Where are the hops? And why does this taste like a battery? I can't see how a brewer could be like "Yep, this will be our IPA." This beer has a lack of balance on multiple levels.

M - Mild, a little sticky after the swallow. Pretty oily and light in the mouth.

D - To be honest, I'm upset that I bought six of these. I might just drink all of them tonight and get it over with.

3.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Long Hammer IPA is just Redhook IPA renamed in honor of the hard working railroad folk.

Pours a golden color with minimal head.

Decent hop smell, citrus elements along with a couple other fruit aromas, but a bit weak for an IPA.

Balance between the malt and the hops is good for an otherwise unremarkable offering from Redhook. Fairly smooth, hops in the forefront, bit thin tasting though.

Not an overwhelming IPA, so I can imagine this would be a good transition beer for those trying to get into the style.

3.53/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured a light golden color with a white head that leaves lacing

S - Is of piney hops and a hint of malt

T - Is more of the same some malt with hops

M - Is pretty average for the style good mouth feel

D - I thought that this is a pretty good IPA others say its weak but its just a regular IPA its not a double or supper hopped up IPA so for just a standard IPA its a good beer and worth trying

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%

Light to medium gold body, clear with a thin head but lots of lacing.

Big piney hop aroma with a slight earthy/malty mix in the background.

Clean, simple malt profile really balances the hop bill out, which is huge but kept in check. Humulus Lupis wins in the end, but that's as it should be.

Mouthfeel is drying and sticky t the same time, pretty unique. Too much carbonation, but that's usually the case with bottles, force-carbonated offerings.

Really a good beer, almost balanced, I have had a lot of this brew and will probably have a lot more.

3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

A golden/amber color, with a quater inch white colored head that forms. It dissolves away quickly, leaving a film on top. The fragrance is hops at the front citrus and pine, but ir almost seems stale in the scent. The malt finishes out the aroma, but very feintly. The malt starts the flavor out, and is very dominant at the front. Then strong flavors of citrus, pine, and earthy flavors come out, but it tastes like the don't belong together for some reason. It tastes like something is just off. The is medium as one would expect, thins out a bit, and then miraculously gains weight at the end, very inconsistant. The only redeeming characteristic of the feel is the dry palate it leaves behind. A hopeful attempt at an IPA, the hops just seemed out of place.

3.5/5  rDev +7%

I'm not a big Red Hook fan, but I enjoyed this brew. Poured a light golden color with a thumbnail of head that disappeared quickly. There wasn't an overly present hoppy scent, but I think it had a light floral or citrusy scent. The taste was of a traditional IPA but a little malt flavor. Not too impressed with the mouthfeel, as there was a light/watery feel, but it went down easy. I don't think I could drink more than two in a sitting. Overall, better than other Red Hooks, but could be better.

3.1/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured on-tap to pint glass. Mr. Dunderback’s Bar and Deli in Daytona Beach, FL.

Pours a hazy straw orange, decent head retention, not too thick, less than a finger. A small bit of lace on the glass. Smell is thin, hint of citrus hop, floral. Taste mimics aroma, decent oily hop flavor, pine. A little astringent, and pretty weak on the malt side. But the hop flavor is there to satisfy any craving. Mouthfeel is not bad, slick. Drinkable, but the lack of balance left me wanting. Not something I’d go back to too often.

3.54/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance: Poured into a glass: this beer pours a very light golden color with subtle amber hints reaching towards the outward edges of the glass. Looks rather average from a distance.

Smell: Quite hoppy, which is what I love. Half of beer is the smell and this one delivers simply and elegantly. An initial splash of light grain quickly followed with an overwhelming hop smell. Quite pleasant.

Taste: Similar to smell, a light grainy/malt taste instantly followed with a beautiful hop punch. The delicious hop flavor fills your whole mouth.

Mouthfeel: Quite simple... A full hoppy finish. Not dry, not 'wet'... just right.

Drinkability: Any more than a few and I am left craving a little something different. The strong taste makes this a good before dinner brew, which is true for most Indian Pale Ales. I consider this my 'backyard IPA' because it seems to go well with grilled foods. Good price, good flavor.

3.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from the 22 ounce bottle into a clear glass tumbler. Nice one inch head. Medium carbonation. Lots of lacing.

Grapefruit, bitter hop flavor. Slight under current of sweetness.

Served about 50 deg. F. temperature.

Aroma was mild citrus.

Good introductory IPA.

Could be a session IPA.

Nice bitter lingering aftertaste.

3.14/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: After pouring this beer into my glass, I said I might have to pass. A light honey, golden color. The appearance brought about a dissapearance in my excitement. A litle cloudy, with very little lacing, half finger head, quite a mysterious Spread for an IPA.

Smell: The Aroma of this beer was nothing more than quintessential. Walt did not smell any Malt. A very light and citrusy scent tingles the nostrils. Yeasty, with light floral/ hoppy smell, I could tell this IPA would not make my day.

Taste: The ingredients lacked cohesiveness like the 07-08 Knicks. Fist, a Citrus, orange taste fills the palate. The taste transitions into a typical IPA, hoppy taste. However, the hops did not take it to the hoop and score like David Lee. More like, they lingered around he post, dribbled, and dissolved quickly with little tenacity. However, The Beer then moves to yet a third taste that is not a waste, a medium Malty flavor....the savior! Overall, not a very impressive, hoppy flavor for an IPA.

Mouth Feel: Light like the sight. Quickly becomes foamy with a malty sensation. A watery mouthful with light carbonation ,litle preservation.

Drinkability: This beer was not a Slam Dunk...or should I say a Slam Drunk! I had to pass and say no thank you to seconds. It was not what I was expecting from an IPA. However, not Stephon Marbury Horrible...more like Charles smith...it's not what it's supposed to be but it can be adequate if the right pieces are in place. Drinking this with a meal will turn up the appeal of the flavor, but without it is not something I would like to savor.

2.78/5  rDev -15%

A- slightly cloudy bronze.. 1/2 finger head... almost no carbonation

S- Ummm, not very hoppy scent... slighty floral, but more yeasty than anything

T- Whaaaat? This is an IPA? First thing i wrote down in my notes was "Not enough hops"... the malt is seemingly more prominant than the hops, and both are very flat in profile. Not a BAD taste... just not an IPA. Tastes like a poor english pale ale

M- light body

D- You could drink these socially... but not if you were in the mood for an IPA

Eventhough some people gave this a mediocre rating I thought it was a good IPA. Being from Washington and NOT a RED HOOK fan I tasted this on tap in Solvang, CA and liked it, ALOT. It came to me a orange-yellow, small head, smelled of citrus and floral scents and tasted like it smells. Plenty of hops ot back it up. Eventhough I do not like Red Hook I like Long Hammer.

3.11/5  rDev -4.9%

this IPA is always in stock at my local grocery, and the price keeps dropping, yesterday $5.79 a six pack, unreal.

although this is not one of the stronger IPA's redhooks standard ipa is better to me.

This one is supposed to have a stronger hop taste, but it does not work so much for me, almost tastes more like a winter beer.

I think this one is dry hopped.

I would suggest a try, but would recommend the standard redhook IPA first.

3.13/5  rDev -4.3%

appearance - Hazey yellow color with a white head and some lace left on the glass.

smell - Citrus, bready, and spices can be smelled.

taste - Hoppy flovor but not overpowering. Grassy, floral, piney and citrus taste here.

mouthfeel - Light body and some carbonation.

drinkability - Not a bad beer,was ok. Anheuser-Busch bought Redhook some time ago.

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

I have to say that overall I was surprised by this beer. Coming from such a larger brewery, I didn’t think that it would be able to deliver the flavor profile it did. To me this is a typical, though slightly tame, IPA. If your bottle is going to be like the one I got, it’s worth trying.

2.58/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured a dark yellow color with a small amount of head that disappeared quickly -- a little hazy, but nothing to set it apart from others. Smelled of yeast, a little citrus/floral, and a small amout of hops. The taste was fairly disappointing. I expected to have a predominant amount of hop and yeast flavor, but was surprised with a fairly bland beer. Mouthfeel and drinkability were okay, but this beer left me questioning why I bought it.

3.65/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance was a pleasant golden color with a nice head from the pour. Smell is citrus and floral, much what I'd expect from an IPA. The taste however is lighter and less hopped than I'd expect, making this seem to me to be more like an APA than an IPA. Hop bitterness is on par with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for example. Pleasant moutfeel and malt flavor. I generally don't like IPAs but I liked this one, which, unfortunately, probably means this isn't very true to style.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery